• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yall there's a pretty serious dust storm around my area right now. Like, solid billows of dust blowing across the road the way snow does in the winter. Can't hardly even see a quarter mile down the road before visibility disappears. It's that thick.
I guess this is what happens when a new Metroid releases and the whole world shakes the dust off their Switches all at once.

I'm not joking about the dust storm though, this mess is bonkers

That moment when you realize your backlog is so bad that you won’t be starting Metroid Dread for weeks…

Trying to 100% New Pokémon Snap and also 100% The Witcher. Send me positive vibes!

Oh also - do we have a Friend Code thread? I always like creeping on peoples play activity.

Yall there's a pretty serious dust storm around my area right now. Like, solid billows of dust blowing across the road the way snow does in the winter. Can't hardly even see a quarter mile down the road before visibility disappears. It's that thick.
I guess this is what happens when a new Metroid releases and the whole world shakes the dust off their Switches all at once.

I'm not joking about the dust storm though, this mess is bonkers
Ha! at the joke

But forserious stay safe

Hiroshi Matsuyama, CEO of CyberConnect2, published a letter thanking Nintendo's handling of developer relationship. Selected quotes below, translated by DeepL:
[The] current game business is extremely difficult, complicated, and troublesome because there are many different versions of games to sell, and each platform manufacturer has different procedures and rules.

[Each] time I had a question, I had to ask them directly, "Where can I find out about ____?" However, the replies and responses I received varied greatly from platform manufacturers.

"There is no contact point in Japan, so please contact North America directly."

"Please send another email to another department."

"Please send the email in English as Japanese is not supported."

"It's in the manual, please check again."

"I sent an inquiry to North America, but haven't heard back in two weeks? Please wait until the end of the week as the person in charge is currently on vacation."

I learned that there was one company that handled things differently than the others.

It was Nintendo.

She told me that the person in charge at Nintendo responded to every inquiry carefully and gave detailed explanations.

She looked up and told me [...] "Nintendo is awesome! They don't say, "It's written here."

I would like to express my gratitude to Nintendo for its deep pockets and warm-hearted behavior and attitude, even in areas that are not visible to the public.

And to think, around the time Sakamoto, his team and Team Ninja released Other M everyone was mad at the guy.

What I think about Dread is great in contrast to Other M is it maintains a lot of the spectacle action of Other M albeit structured in a slightly more grounded manner, and it frames Samus as being a complete badass. It's so fantastic.

I hope Nintendo already greenlit Metroid 6 developed by MercurySteam

I’ve heard that Metroid 6 is currently in the planning stages and development will be rebooted in 2026 before Retro takes over in 2030. Not terribly confident in that timeline, but I’m willing to bet a subway sandwich on it.

I’ve heard that Metroid 6 is currently in the planning stages and development will be rebooted in 2026 before Retro takes over in 2030. Not terribly confident in that timeline, but I’m willing to bet a subway sandwich on it.
2002: Metroid Fusion
2021: Metroid Dread
2031: Metroid Fresh

AAuE7mCRY95AFFq_lJhFAqeOyV5MkYlpGtsIsuP38A=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

On the matter of N64 Rare games on NSO, I think it's wise to not expect Perfect Dark (nor Conker lol) mostly because of the rating.. The NSO app has a rating of itself, and if you check on the NES and SNES apps, they go just to T for Teen max, and I don't think Nintendo wants a package that includes Mario, Kirby and Pokémon games to be rated M.

Otherwise, everything that goes to T-Rating on N64 should be a non-issue

On the matter of N64 Rare games on NSO, I think it's wise to not expect Perfect Dark (nor Conker lol) mostly because of the rating.. The NSO app has a rating of itself, and if you check on the NES and SNES apps, they go just to T for Teen max, and I don't think Nintendo wants a package that includes Mario, Kirby and Pokémon games to be rated M.

Otherwise, everything that goes to T-Rating on N64 should be a non-issue

It's funny my brother and I were joking about Conker's Bad Fur Day. We agreed that there was no way Nintendo would have that game next to a Mario and Yoshi game in the same App.

Install Base launches and we have Falcom hitting a massive decline, Nagoshi leaving Sega and Matsuyama publicly praising Nintendo.

Things have gone crazy.
Something something butterfly flaps its wings something something. Maybe Sega will surprise us with Switch ports of Yakuza Zero and Sakura Wars (not Nagoshi but something I want regardless) next.

So Dread has a chance of being the best selling Metroid game of all time.

But would it have achieved that if it had been called Bedroid Fread.

That's what I would like to know.

*Still haven't got my copy. I have been spoiled by such amazing metroidvanias last few years that I don't know when I'll get to it*

I've been avoiding posts marked as spoilers for Dread so if someone else posted this I'm sorry but... whoa.

Sequence breaking ftw

Havent metroid games always rated high? (besides other m) I dont think a high score means they will get more games out faster
From my observation (so take this with a grain of salt lol), MC scores have been trending now, so what is 89 today probably would have received 90+ ten years ago. Combine that with the fact that 2D games seem not to score as highly for home consoles, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Nintendo is very happy with Dread's critical reception.

If its commercial reception is also good - and early signs point to this being the case - I think we can probably expect to see more 2D Metroid games, quite possibly from Mercury Steam again. I certainly don't think we'll be waiting 19 years 😝

I've been avoiding posts marked as spoilers for Dread so if someone else posted this I'm sorry but... whoa.

Sequence breaking ftw

yeah holy shit this one blew my mind. I'm going to run Dread. I run Super as is and love it so much but it'd be nice to have a modern game in my list of games I run as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom