• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is definitely lag in OoT, I'd say similar to the Wii U version (which wasn't good) and way worse than Wii VC. It's also filled with visual gltiches, some big, some small. But it's just a bummer, they had nailed it with NES and SNES and of all games it's OoT that gets the worst treatment.

So have 60ish eshop credit.

How is Mario Golf? I have heard some people say it is a lot of fun, and heard some others say "meh".

Worth the purchase? Wanted Clubhouse Games but waiting for a sale on that. And Disco Elysium and Fuga: Memories of Steel also caught my eye. BUT, I may heard those may get physical releases.

Unfortunately, reacting to social media is a very easy way to get our article very quickly and cheaply. Instead of doing the research yourself, it's much easier to just right a few sentences while embedding tweets of random people. News sites also want to capitalize on any controversy right away because they know they really only have a 24 hour window to write something about it before people forget and move onto the next thing.
Oh yeah, this isn't a gaming issue. I've noticed it more and more with coverage every of hobby of mine, including the obscure and relatively unpopular sport I like to watch. The approach clearly drives engagement despite leading to poor quality coverage of just about everything.

Ahh shoot, missed the N64 controller restock, was gonna give a heads up to a friend of mine.

Meanwhile my order still says "Picked" and I haven't gotten any email about it having shipped 🙃

GameBoy should be simple enough that there aren't any problems (in the background, the monkey paw curls). Plus, the Zelda Game & Watch is out next month and has Link's Awakening on it - that may well be using similar emulation to what's planned for the Switch so that can be a trial run, in a sense.

edit - my bigger worry for GB would be that Nintendo wait another year to add it to the service, or charge more money for it, or they avoid doing the simple things which would make the GB games more fun (like adding Super GameBoy support, or adding the different visual presentations you could have on the GB and GBC hardware). Or they do all three of those things and offer a basic, no-frills emulator a year after this update while simultaneously asking for more money - but I think that's an absolute worse-case scenario.
I genuinely hope my own fears are completely unfounded because by all rights, I would imagine they could inject Gameboy ISOs into the NES emulator and be 90% complete before some minor tweaks and making 2P mode for games compatible. Hell, I'd dare hope you could run two Gameboy games simultaneously on the same screen when playing local multi (or just to trade with yourself in Pokemon RBYGSC), and then your standard fare of online play with another friend who also has the NSO subscription.

Then again, in the worst case scenario outlined...it's probably not far off from the truth. Just gotta set the bar super low and see what happens, I suppose.

How is Mario Golf? I have heard some people say it is a lot of fun, and heard some others say "meh".

Worth the purchase? Wanted Clubhouse Games but waiting for a sale on that. And Disco Elysium and Fuga: Memories of Steel also caught my eye. BUT, I may heard those may get physical releases.
I absolutely love the Mario Golf series. I put maybe 10-15 hours into Super Rush.

I put about 100 into Clubhouse Games… Turns out I like Riichi Mahjong!!!!

I love the gameplay in Mario Golf but content (modes) is definitely lacking. If you don't get hooked with the online play like I have you will probably get bored very fast.

I love the gameplay in Mario Golf but content (modes) is definitely lacking. If you don't get hooked with the online play like I have you will probably get bored very fast.
So like Aces? Because I love Aces and I think it is their best tennis game yet gameplay wise despite the adventure mode not being nearly as good as the GBC version.

With the updates added MGSR is in a solid place now

Hazy Maze Cave…is not good. Going for the 100 Coin Star and this is a major pain.
For my money, that was one of the three hardest courses for getting the 100 coin star.

Jolly Roger Bay- There is like only 101 coins total.
Hazy Maze Cave- Level is spread out and some coins are hard to get.
Rainbow Ride- If you don't get the blue coins in the game you might as well start over on the level.

Yeah we’ve been talking about this stuff all morning haha
And again it's ignoring the fact that the water sorta looked like that in the original Japanese version of OoT...

Has anyone gotten to the Water Temple yet in another version?

For my money, that was one of the three hardest courses for getting the 100 coin star.

Jolly Roger Bay- There is like only 101 coins total.
Hazy Maze Cave- Level is spread out and some coins are hard to get.
Rainbow Ride- If you don't get the blue coins in the game you might as well start over on the level.
Pretty sure I got all 104 coins in JRB just to stick it to that level. : p
Also just noticed that the death pit near the rolling rocks is called the Black Hole. Good to know that’s what I’ve been dying to.

My controller isn't here yet, DPD tracking hasn't updated, but it is supposedly arriving today. Doubt I'll have time to either subscribe or try anything out today - I'll be going out later.

Whats clickbait about the video, the title says nso has some problems and in the video the show a list of those problems
One of those problems is based on a streamer playing the Japanese version of OoT not knowing that the Japanese version had some differences from the western versions on N64 and is comparing the Japanese version of OoT on NSO to the western version of OoT on N64 showing how different they look.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hello, I think you all are awesome, and I’m happy to be here.

My two cents on the current discussion: I had a good time playing some N64 and Genesis games last night and didn’t notice any glaring issues. So, I was a bit surprised to see the cascade of coverage this morning to the contrary. That said, I didn’t dive into OoT, so that could partially be why.

Anyway, I’m enjoying the service so far. I’m on a family plan with some friends and a couple of us plan to play the AC DLC when it launches, so it was a no-brainer for us. I scored an N64 controller from the first batch that finally shipped at 12:30am, and decided to pull the trigger on a Genesis controller during the restock this morning. So, all and all, I’m pretty happy 15 or so hours in.

I hope the (fixable) issues that people are finding get dealt with soon. I know not everyone is in the same plan situation as me and expect a premium service when they feel they are paying a premium price, so crossing my fingers Nintendo gets the kinks worked out quickly.

I played 10 minutes of Ocarina of Time. I ran around the village and made it to the Deku Tree. First impressions, I'll be perfectly honest....

It looked and played fine to me. I didn't notice any major input lag. I was able to control Link just fine. The water in the village looked like N64 water. The only thing really noticable is the Deku Tree, as seen from the village, stands out more. But background details being noticeable is something I have seen often in games that were meant for lower resolutions that are now in higher resolutions.

Very limited playtime but my first impressions are good. I have no doubt that there is some minor input lag. But is something that 99% of you will notice? Probably not.

poll concluded
hi everyone! the results of yesterday's poll are in, and the majority are in favor of a monthly system for these threads:

screenshot2021-10-26az9jyg.png

thanks for participating. this thread has been renamed, and from now on we'll move on to a new thread at the start of every month, with the next thread being |ST2 Nov. 2021| by @Derachi

I wonder if any of the N64 Bomberman games make it on the list.

Bomberman 64 was on Wii U VC.
Bomberman Hero was on Wii VC.

Don't forget Crusin' USA either.
I mean on the current list there’s no slots left. But that’s the current list, it’s always possible there’ll be stuff added beyond it if a deal comes through or the service is successful
I keep reading this as Mario Golf Solid: Revengeance
Funny, because that title didn’t have a S, it’s just Metal Gear: Revengeance

And again it's ignoring the fact that the water sorta looked like that in the original Japanese version of OoT...

Has anyone gotten to the Water Temple yet in another version?
Just pulled off DoT skip

Unless I missed a critical item (hope I don't need bombs lol), I think it's just hookshot > bow > iron boots > water temple

Hazy Maze Cave…is not good. Going for the 100 Coin Star and this is a major pain. Just wanted to put this out there.

Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock 100 coins are probably the worst thing in a Mario game ever. That feeling when you have 95 coins and you fall in the pit in Tick Tock Clock because of the camera UGH

hi everyone! the results of yesterday's poll are in, and the majority are in favor of a monthly system for these threads:

screenshot2021-10-26az9jyg.png

thanks for participating. this thread has been renamed, and from now on we'll move on to a new thread at the start of every month, with the next thread being |ST2 Nov. 2021| by @Derachi

STOP THE COUNT! If you count the legitimate votes, no actually won! BY A LOT!

Lol, Guardians of the Galaxy is 70 freaking Euros on the European eShop. Literally the most expensive game on eShop and it's a cloud game. Square's about to learn some harsh truth about cloud gaming.

Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock 100 coins are probably the worst thing in a Mario game ever. That feeling when you have 95 coins and you fall in the pit in Tick Tock Clock because of the camera UGH

The crazy thing is I never had that problem with the OG version but last year I kept falling non stop in 3D All Stars (Tick Tock Clock). I still say something was messed up with the controls in that version.

Lol, Guardians of the Galaxy is 70 freaking Euros on the European eShop. Literally the most expensive game on eShop and it's a cloud game. Square's about to learn some harsh truth about cloud gaming.

Yikes. I wouldn't pay that much for the game if it was physical. It being a cloud game makes it much worse lol.

I mean on the current list there’s no slots left. But that’s the current list, it’s always possible there’ll be stuff added beyond it if a deal comes through or the service is successful

Right. I'm just saying I hope your intuition is right about Diddy Kong Racing. It was one of my favorite games on the N64.

Before N64 NSO was announced, I heard a lot of noise about Dr Mario 64 and Pokemon Stadium. One was announced, the other hasn't. I'm not sure if Stadium is still coming.

If you want cheaper games, just stop being European. I mean you'll probably die sooner without guaranteed healthcare like us Americans but at least we died knowing we paid less for the cloud versions of Kingdom Hearts.

Right. I'm just saying I hope your intuition is right about Diddy Kong Racing. It was one of my favorite games on the N64.

Before N64 NSO was announced, I heard a lot of noise about Dr Mario 64 and Pokemon Stadium. One has been announced, the other hasn't. I'm not sure if Stadium is still coming.
I feel they wouldn't announce Stadium before Game Boy if they actually plan to implement the transfer pack - but that's a best-case scenario.

The greatest mystery in gaming right now: what the Dark Link room in Ocarina of Time actually looked like on an N64.

Before N64 NSO was announced, I heard a lot of noise about Dr Mario 64 and Pokemon Stadium. One has been announced, the other hasn't. I'm not sure if Stadium is still coming.

Normally I would be skeptical about Stadium's chances but last night's datamine shows a lot of space between Mario Tennis and Sin & Punishment. Unless Nintendo goes with a bunch of really odd and off the wall choices it feels like Pokemon Stadium has a half decent chance.

I feel they wouldn't announce Stadium before Game Boy if they actually plan to implement the transfer pack - but that's a best-case scenario.

I had a similar theory as you. Maybe they're waiting on Game Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom