• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurghh SMTV previews looking good. Now just the constant fighting with myself to not read and see too much over the next couple weeks

Physical games going over MSRP in value in the era of easily available digital downloads is something that I don't get. Sure, limited edition stuff is one thing, but most of these are just regular games. Like, who's going to pay $55 to Gamestop to buy Pokémon X when that very same store will print you an eShop code for MSRP. : v
I know this isn't much of an issue with the Switch because the filesizes are smaller, but.. I also have an XBone. A friend of mine generously gifted me a game a while back and I had to delete three other games off my system in order to download it. It took three days to download. Then another friend wanted me to play this FTP online game with her, and I just didn't have the space for that. I picked up a physical game used for cheap, thinking it would mitigate that problem, and it wouldn't let me play it off the disc. It required a near 100GB install in order to play.

For reasons like these, I place a lot of value in physical games (real physical games, not the ones where the disc acts as a license and still requires you to download the whole damn thing). I know I don't speak for everyone, but that's why I do tend to lean towards physical.

I know this isn't much of an issue with the Switch because the filesizes are smaller, but.. I also have an XBone. A friend of mine generously gifted me a game a while back and I had to delete three other games off my system in order to download it. It took three days to download. Then another friend wanted me to play this FTP online game with her, and I just didn't have the space for that. I picked up a physical game used for cheap, thinking it would mitigate that problem, and it wouldn't let me play it off the disc. It required a near 100GB install in order to play.

For reasons like these, I place a lot of value in physical games (real physical games, not the ones where the disc acts as a license and still requires you to download the whole damn thing). I know I don't speak for everyone, but that's why I do tend to lean towards physical.

Same here. I typically go physical with games, especially for switch.

BROF YOU GOTTAAAA SHOW USSSSSSS (ONCE YOU GET IT)
He is light brown, he is smol, beeg ears, 10 months old and v affectionate, and a tentative name of Mr Peanut Butter (I do love me some BoJack given my old Discord avatar, but I am tempted to give him a more suitable name)

This will be my first bun since my last two crossed the rainbow bridge over a decade ago, and I am giddy to take care of a new one. I hope I can be a good dad

Physical games going over MSRP in value in the era of easily available digital downloads is something that I don't get. Sure, limited edition stuff is one thing, but most of these are just regular games. Like, who's going to pay $55 to Gamestop to buy Pokémon X when that very same store will print you an eShop code for MSRP. : v
Nintendo collectors are a very different breed. The community sees more value in having a physical cart/disc.

Man, I'm just sitting here at work on a break wishing the NSO stuff was already out. I was really looking forward to some N64 on lunch break, but I guess it'll just have to be my after-dinner treat instead.

Also, good LORD I'm stoked for the AC update and DLC. I've been prepping my island for new stuff ever since the direct.

I have a confession - I’ve never actually beaten Ocarina of Time.

Should I play it on Switch or the 3DS remaster?
I say play it on NSO first for the nostalgia factor, then if you have the means to play the 3DS version, do that later just to say "wow, this game was great TWICE!"

The 3DS version is simply better. Play that one. The N64 version is great but if you don’t have any nostalgia for it, the framerate/graphics have aged like milk

I never played OoT before last year. I tracked down a 64 cartridge and loved every second of it. Some say it doesn't hold up but it played fine for me.

Go for the Switch/NSO version.

I have Ocarina 3D on my shelf but I am almost guaranteed to play the original with the N64 controller I forgot to cancel via the subscription I'm going to continue to complain about.

I am a true Nintendo fan.

poll about moving to a monthly system for the general threads
i understand this might be a bit annoying since we had a poll a few days ago, but some users have suggested that maybe we should try another one, this time to see if people are in favor of making the Nintendo General Discussion threads monthly, so each month we move to a new thread. if the majority agree, we'll move on to a new thread made by @Derachi at the start of November.

some arguments in favor of going monthly:
FWIW I voted 200 pages too, I think monthly would be much better than 400 pages. It'll revitalize the thread each month with a new OP, new title, it'll be something very fun to look forward to at the start of the month.
Monthly threads make the most sense to me.

Also makes it easier to give threads themes.
Maybe a little late for this contribution, but I like the idea of monthly general discussion threads. Just feels like a nice demarcation line between discussions.
I voted for 200 because it's different from Era. But, I also feel like 400 is too big of a limit. On smaller OTs they would last years before getting another OT. Monthly thread would also be nice because things would stay relevant.
I voted for 400 but would be down for monthly just so tried and true Team February can be resolute in our victory when a direct happens again.

please use the poll to tell us what you think.

Definitely the 3DS remaster, though I might be biased since my memories of the N64 version are from the PAL 50hz version which was... sub-optimal to say the least.

you guys really think the website that tried to rename the thread "Nintendo First Party Studios" when there was already a first party thread would let us do monthly threads

I'm in for monthly threads. It will make it so much easier to keep up with it, and make it less daunting

You can a clue on how well the Switch is selling in a particular month by how high Mario Kart 8 charts in physical sales and on the eShop. If you Mario Kart 8 has risen in the charts, it means Switch sales are picking up.

My spineless whining about XB2 posting aside, this is the truth: talk about whatever you like here (well, provided it’s remotely relevant)

THAT SAID make sure you post any pics/screenshots that might get someone fired if their boss were to see behind a spoiler tag because… come on fam, some of those xb2 designs, if seen on the computer/phone screens of even the most loyal of employees, would end a career

I think some light ribbing is ok but there's a balance to be found. We should be careful that we don't make people unwelcome for liking stuff but it should also be possible to call out some of the more negative (if not outright harmful) stuff in the media we discuss, as long as it doesn't become personal.

You can a clue on how well the Switch is selling in a particular month by how high Mario Kart 8 charts in physical sales and on the eShop. If you Mario Kart 8 has risen in the charts, it means Switch sales are picking up.
Honestly you could infer the same if ACNH rises in the charts too.

As stated before , Team February would be happy to take another dub when the time comes around and that more than ever is why we should go monthly. As someone with a birthday in november i also would be honored for novmeber to be the @Derachi made thread sponsored by Subway.

It's too bad people don't do the "Belda" thing for non-Nintendo success stories in gaming.

If it was called "PTA 5" literally no one would care.

If it was called "Winecraft" then nobody... well, now actually... wait a minute. Hmmm 🤔

Honestly you could infer the same if ACNH rises in the charts too.

I think you can make the same inference with a multitude of evergreen titles. But I think Mario Kart 8 has the best correlation. I also think MK8 is also the top choice as a second game for any new Switch owner. You buy Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8. You buy Animal Crossing and Mario 8. Metroid Dread and Mario Kart 8. Plus during the holidays Nintendo likes to bring out the Switch + MK8 bundle.

Gee, sure are a lot of "worst ..." threads these days.

Anyway, back to the 1000 piece Ocarina of Time puzzle. The top half is pure sky.

Can get Mario Golf for 44 bucks, physical brand new, yay or nay. I’ve never played golf in my life, fantasy or otherwise.

Can get Mario Golf for 44 bucks, physical brand new, yay or nay. I’ve never played golf in my life, fantasy or otherwise.
You could do better with 44 bucks. Get Golf Story and then use the remaining money for another good $20-25 indie game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom