• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

FF showed up, caused a huge backlash, had Nintendo try some damage control, have it not work, release, bomb, and be forgotten
FF would always bomb. It was a budget title with negative ambition, released late on the 3ds. That doesnt says much.
Strikers hasn't impressed people, but it was well received enough upon reveal and is the best selling in the series
Only upon its reveal, when people didn't know much about it lol.
Federation Force is a poison pill that far exceeds whatever reception Strikers has gotten. If they were to return it would have to be years from now & completely rethought.

I’m curious what they will do after LM4 & a possible Strikers sequel.
why would they do a strikers sequel? It sold abysmally and im sure anything else they could do would surpass it critically and sales wise.

Next Level Games would certainly do some great animation work, which would be a strength. I do feel the characters are a marketable aspect of the series.
Yeah. If people were actually on board on some racing spin off that "leakers" said that it was from retro, why not this?

FF would always bomb. It was a budget title with negative ambition, released late on the 3ds. That doesnt says much.
Says it was received worse than Strikers.

Only upon its reveal, when people didn't know much about it lol.

why would they do a strikers sequel? It sold abysmally and im sure anything else they could do would surpass it critically and sales wise.
It did not, it's at like 2.5 mil, which is a series best, and better than Golf did, which released earlier.

It's NLG's best selling game that isn't LM.

And fwiw it's also like 10 points higher on MC than Fed Force.

Because they want to do it? Both of your statements are odd considering the game sold 2.17mil. If that is considered abysmal then a good chunk of the Switch’s library falls under that category. If they made a sequel to Federation Force, I’m like 99% certain that would not even cross 1mil so “doing anything else” isn’t a sure fire bet either.

There are quite a few reasons to do a sequel if they wanted too among those would be fixing the faults from the previous game for a better product that resonates with consumers more.

That's Carmen Sandiego, from the 2019 Netflix series.

syTfhVR.png

Some of the concept artwork shown there must be for that. Maybe a former artist for the show joined NLG and used it as part of their portfolio.

I was gonna say. Honestly my first thought was “wait, Netflix Carmen Sandiego??? NLG worked on that?!”

At any rate, it’s clear that they’ve got good talent on deck if they’re snagging concept artists from TV animation. Whether or not any of that talent gets let out of the Mario mines anytime soon remains to be seen.

They should work on Mass Effect Star Fox
I think mine has a better chance :)

Because they want to do it? Both of your statements are odd considering the game sold 2.17mil. If that is considered abysmal then a good chunk of the Switch’s library falls under that category. If they made a sequel to Federation Force, I’m like 99% certain that would not even cross 1mil so “doing anything else” isn’t a sure fire bet either.

There are quite a few reasons to do a sequel if they wanted too among those would be fixing the faults from the previous game for a better product that resonates with consumers more.

I imagine that they're also still fairly attached to the series since they were literally the ones to create it.

Last edited:
Hopefully one of those other games is some sort of 2D Zelda.
Not sure if it is Grezzo but I'd be shocked if a 2d Zelda isn't being developed right now. Nintendo won't have 3D Zelda until maybe the 4th year of the next system(barring a port of HD WW/TP) and they don't really go long gaps without a zelda game.

Not sure if it is Grezzo but I'd be shocked if a 2d Zelda isn't being developed right now. Nintendo won't have 3D Zelda until maybe the 4th year of the next system(barring a port of HD WW/TP) and they don't really go long gaps without a zelda game.
There's no question that multiple Zelda titles will be in the works right now because the series is often an annual release, with only the TotK delay from 2022 to 2023 changing that. Nintendo definitely have plans to fill that probably lengthy gap until a new open world title is ready, and it wouldn't surprise me if at least one re-release and a Hyrule Warriors game are in the works.

2D Zelda seems less certain, but that's largely because the senior staff from the last original portable entries don't seem to be working on the series any more. It could easily be the case that Nintendo have new brains on the series, and that they tap Grezzo as a co-developer.

Last edited:
I think it would do a lot better than the recent Star Foxes anyway. hammers on what makes the IP notable right now (the characters), uses in-vogue gameplay concepts that are already familiar to Star Fox through spinoffs or other games (like third person shooting), and even allows for classic Star Fox gameplay to supplement that tps gameplay (Mass Effect had vehicle sections that you could easily make more Star Fox-y).

it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive, but the rewards are much greater

For Star Fox: Mass Effect, it probably helps that it doesn't necessarily imply this would be just like that series, and it helps that it does allow use of some of Star Fox's current strengths -- again, characters being a strong thing to work with --, that it easily plays into the space opera element of the series, and that different gameplay elements could draw similarities to the series as it was.

As for the PlatinumGames idea, courtesy of Hideki Kamiya who might or might not have later regretted saying that, I do see some strong connections in concept between the stylish character action and the old-school rail shooter: the focus on action, the combos and scores with rankings at the end of a level. It's not wholly divorced from what the series was, and I think that helps. It also allows for the developers to play with the characters, though the animation might be less immaculate than if it were from Next Level Games.

That said, I'm looking at this Federation Force talk, and it reminds me of a thought I've had in the past: that Federation Force likely would have met a similar doom in anything too closely resembling its current form, but that a similarly squad-based (perhaps somehow tactical) Star Fox could make sense, which might be another element in Next Level's favor.
[...] preferably, they'd make a new Kid Icarus

Given how characters have become a strength there, too, I could see Next Level working. It'd be interesting to see what the game actually became.

Hopefully one of those other games is some sort of 2D Zelda.
2D Zelda seems less certain, but that's largely because the senior staff from the last original portable entries don't seem to be working on the series any more. It could easily be the case that Nintendo have new brains on the series, and that they tap Grezzo as a co-developer.

I do hope there's a really good 2D Zelda on its way. I've given some specific thoughts over the past few months on a form that could take, but that concept is really just a fun thought I'd like to see.

Aside from Grezzo, who might be good to consider?

Given it's pretty apparent now that Jet Dragon hasn't been taking up all of Grezzo's time since Link's Awakening (or even Miitopia), I think it's fair to say they've been cracking away at one or two things for Nintendo. Let's review some options:
  • Super Mario RPG - Really this remake could be coming from a lot of potential studios. Grezzo is only one of the forefront options because of the Link's Awakening remake being their prior big work. They do have some former Square Soft blood but not Mario RPG specifically; but maybe that history was still enough to book the job. Remains one of the biggest mysteries for Nintendo dev speculation right now, and I wish we were close to a solution.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 - The Direct footage looking as rough as it does really makes this one difficult to judge; doesn't look up to Next Level's standards or Grezzo's (Miitopia was a pretty decent upscale job). They did tackle the 3DS port of Luigi's Mansion though, which is really the main thing that could tie this to them. Also hard to speculate with only unfinished footage to work with.
  • 2D Zelda - Obviously what a lot of people want them to be working on, reading all the chatter and speculation. I've never bought into the idea of Oracle remakes being their immdiate next thing though, and with those games arriving on NSO soon i'm gonna say it'll be a while before a remake is considered (same for Golden Sun, while we're on the topic of commonly speculated remakes). Mikiharu Oiwa didn't have a lead role on Jet Dragon so it's fair to speculate that he would be leading up one of Grezzo's other active projects, but i'm confident that if a 2D Zelda is in production it would (finally) be a new one.

A new 2D Zelda is what we want. They should be following in the Mercury Steam path. Remake(s) old game and make a new one for the series.

Nintendo Pictures credits
- Nintendo Pictures Credits -
Last Updated: 2024/04/24

Nintendo productions:
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Release Date: 2023.05.12​
Credit(s): Special Thanks​

Gfw88Pw.png

Pikmin 4
Release Date: 2023.07.21​
Credit(s): Very Special Thanks​

IBMey0o.png

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Release Date: 2023.10.20​
Credit(s): Character Design / Character Action Design / Field Design / Cinematic Design / Technical Support / Project Management / Special Thanks​

ZzUytxi.png

Super Mario RPG
Release Date: 2023.11.17​
Credit(s): Character Art / Animation Art / Technical Art​

C77sOz4.png

Another Code: Recollection
Release Date: 2024.01.19​
Credit(s): Very Special Thanks​

3E6S4JK.png

Non-Nintendo productions:
Hirogaru Sky! Precure
Release Date: 2023.02.05 - 2024.01.28​
Credit(s): Ending Staff - CG Production​

k8F5SNh.png
K5YzWat.png

jA44uPu.png
4j00pTV.png

Credited on:
Episode 3: Hic-hic-homesick! Don't cry, Ellee-chan! [2023.02.19]​
Episode 5: Hand in Hand! Our New Attack! [2023.03.05]​
Episode 7: Thrilling! The Transfer Student is a Hero Girl!! [2023.03.19]​
Episode 9: Wings of Courage, Fly Cure Wing!! [2023.04.02]​
Episode 11: Awkward Pair!? Tsubasa and Ageha [2023.04.16]​
Episode 13: Deliver it! First Present [2023.04.30]​
Episode 15: A Mega Ranborg Explosion!? Protect Sky Land! [2023.05.14]​
Episode 17: The Great Baton Pass! Mashiro's Intense Relay [2023.05.28]​
Episode 19: Ageha and Tsubasa, Get Colorfully Excited! [2023.06.11]​
Epiosde 21: Soar! Wings of Knowledge [2023.06.25]​
Epiosde 24: Sparkling Morning Star☆ Ellee-chan's Secret [2023.06.25]​
Epiosde 26: Take off! Memories Connected by Airplanes [2023.07.30]​
Epiosde 28: Ageha's Exciting Fashion Show! [2023.08.13]​
Epiosde 30: Soaring Sea! Beach Paradise! [2023.08.27]​
Epiosde 32: Big Transformation! Cure Majesty!! [2023.09.10]​
Epiosde 34: Mon-Mon! Mashiro And His Return [2023.09.24]​
Epiosde 36: Ageha Fails At Being The Best Nursery School Teacher!? [2023.10.08]​
Epiosde 38: Save The Sky! The Secret Of Floating Island [2023.10.22]​
Epiosde 40: Good Fwiends♡ Ellee-Chan's Wedding☆ [2023.11.12]​
Epiosde 42: Overcome Self Doubt, Naive Hero! [2023.11.26]​
Epiosde 44: A Grown-Up Princess And The Legendary Pretty Cure [2023.12.10]​
Epiosde 46: The Heroes' Christmas [2023.12.24]​
Epiosde 48: Heroes, Protect It! Everyone's City! [2024.01.14]​
Epiosde 49: Cure Sky And The Strongest Power [2024.01.21]​

Ensemble Stars!! Reminiscence Selection: Element - Episode 5: Wish [Link]
Release Date: 2023.04.10​
Credit(s): Animation Cooperation​

60H1D6j.png

HATSUNE MIKU EXPO 2023 VR [Link]
Release Date: 2023.11.12​
Credit(s): Motion Editor - Naoya Akuta​

d9sM01a.png

Wonderful Precure!
Release Date: 2024.02.04 - Ongoing​
Credit(s): Ending Staff - CG Production​

kLJXCDm.png

Credited on:
Episode 1: It Starts With "Wonderful!" [2024.02.04]​
Episode 3: Don't Say It! It's Baaad~! [2024.02.18]​
Episode 5: Connecting Bonds, Friendly Tact! [2024.03.03]​
Episode 7: Their Friend Liberale! [2024.03.17]​
Episode 9: Middle School Student Komugi! [2024.03.31]​
Episode 11: A Giant Creature Hiding In The Mountains!? [2024.04.14]​

Please let me know if you catch any credits missing from the above lists!

Nobody else is doing it as far as I can see, so I may as well start keeping track of Nintendo Pictures credits. I imagine their name is going to be appearing in pretty much all of the major EPD productions going forward after all, as they eventually drop out of their non-Nintendo roles.

I would not be surprised if some miscellaneous animation credits have gone undocumented in the past eight months though; they were always fairly busy, and continued to be credited as Dynamo until around the completion of the acquisition in October 2022 (or even past it in the case of the Precure's 2022 season, where they remained credited as Dynamo through to the final episode in January 2023). If anyone catches a stray credit, let me know!

I can also imagine that some of their post-acquisition work is just not credited anywhere to begin with; they produced a lot of promotional / event / ride videos, the majority of which did not have credits. The old Dynamo Pictures website has gone untouched since the acquisition, and the Nintendo Pictures site doesn't feature a Works page to list said productions, so some of their work will never be properly attributed; just how it is.

Last edited:

One of the two Graphic Refining Directors for Link's Awakening and has worked on all Grezzo Zelda titles. Also wasn't credited on TotK like Yoichi Yamada. Not sure if it means anything though. I don't see another Zelda remake happening anytime soon with the Oracle games confirmed for NSO, unless Ocarina somehow gets another remake. Haruhana seems to also provide art support for EPD 9 and Yamada could have moved to an administrative/non-gaming role like EAD Ninja speculated.

Nobody else is doing it as far as I can see, so I may as well start keeping track of Nintendo Pictures credits. I imagine their name is going to be appearing in pretty much all of the major EPD productions going forward after all, as they eventually drop out of their non-Nintendo roles.

I would not be surprised if some miscalaneous animation credits have gone undocumented in the past eight months though; they were always fairly busy, and continued to be credited as Dynamo until around the completion of the acquisiton in October 2022 (or even past it in the case of the Precure's 2022 season, where they remained credited as Dynamo through to the final episode in January 2023). If anyone catches a stray credit, let me know!

I can also imagine that some of their post-acquistion work is just not credited anywhere to begin with; they produced a lot of promotional / event / ride videos, the majority of which did not have credits. The old Dynamo Pictures website has gone untouched since the acquisition, and the Nintendo Pictures site doesn't feature a Works page to list said productions, so some works will never be properly attributed; just how it is.
I think we can put this info as a threadmark

Says it was received worse than Strikers.

It did not, it's at like 2.5 mil, which is a series best, and better than Golf did, which released earlier.

It's NLG's best selling game that isn't LM.

And fwiw it's also like 10 points higher on MC than Fed Force.
Federation Force was received worse, primaryly for two reasons, first the Metroid franchise was in a hiatus after Metroid Other M got mixed reactions(for critics and fans) and second everyone expected a brand new 2D or 3D Metroid game for Nintendo on Wii U or 3DS, not this spin-off, not releasing a mainline game after so long left a very bad taste on Metroid fans, that why in E3 2017, Nintendo anounced the remake of Metroid 2 for 3DS and Metroid Prime 4 for Nintendo Switch(maybe as sort as a apology for giving this spin-off before a mainline game)

I would not be surprised if some miscellaneous animation credits have gone undocumented in the past eight months though; they were always fairly busy, and continued to be credited as Dynamo until around the completion of the acquisiton in October 2022 (or even past it in the case of the Precure's 2022 season, where they remained credited as Dynamo through to the final episode in January 2023). If anyone catches a stray credit, let me know!

I can also imagine that some of their post-acquistion work is just not credited anywhere to begin with; they produced a lot of promotional / event / ride videos, the majority of which did not have credits. The old Dynamo Pictures website has gone untouched since the acquisition, and the Nintendo Pictures site doesn't feature a Works page to list said productions, so some of their work will never be properly attributed; just how it is.
i believe we already seeying the effects of Nintendo Pictures on Nintendo games, i notice, Tears of the Kingdom and in the Pikimin 4 demo the cinematic seen to be much better directed then previous games of the franchise, problaby all major EPD games will have a involment of Nintendo Pictures in the cinematics direction, expect the cinematic of the next 3D Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid to be much better directed then previous games of the franchise.

i believe we already seeying the effects of Nintendo Pictures on Nintendo games, i notice, Tears of the Kingdom and in the Pikimin 4 demo the cinematic seen to be much better directed then previous games of the franchise, problaby all major EPD games will have a involment of Nintendo Pictures in the cinematics direction, expect the cinematic of the next 3D Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid to be much better directed then previous games of the franchise.
Im not sure i follow? Could you be more specific?

Like, i dont think Nintendo is planning on "outsourcing" the direction of cinematics and the like to Nintendo Pictures. Much less their subsidiaries, especially NLG and Monolith who have had much tradition in this regard and now, Retro, who has hired several people for this division, many from hollywood.

Im not sure i follow? Could you be more specific?

Like, i dont think Nintendo is planning on "outsourcing" the direction of cinematics and the like to Nintendo Pictures. Much less their subsidiaries, especially NLG and Monolith who have had much tradition in this regard and now, Retro, who has hired several people for this division, many from hollywood.
if you compare the cinematics of Breath of the Wild to Tears of the Kingdom, you notice, they seen to be better directed then the previous game i just mentioned

if you compare the cinematics of Breath of the Wild to Tears of the Kingdom, you notice, they seen to be better directed then the previous game i just mentioned
but do we know if Nintendo Pictures worked on cinematics? it could just be the EPD cinematic leads being awarded more time

Im aware, but that's most likely due to Nintendo improving their tech, better budgets, more time, that sort of thing.

Federation Force was received worse, primaryly for two reasons, first the Metroid franchise was in a hiatus after Metroid Other M got mixed reactions(for critics and fans) and second everyone expected a brand new 2D or 3D Metroid game for Nintendo on Wii U or 3DS, not this spin-off, not releasing a mainline game after so long left a very bad taste on Metroid fans, that why in E3 2017, Nintendo anounced the remake of Metroid 2 for 3DS and Metroid Prime 4 for Nintendo Switch(maybe as sort as a apology for giving this spin-off before a mainline game)
Thinking Nintendo announced MP4 when they did to prevent backlash that Samus Returns was on 3DS rather than Switch and give it a better chance to succeed. Announcing games that early is pretty rare for Nintendo.

Though I think part of that was remembering the volatility of the Metroid fanbase from Fed Force.

Nintendo Pictures? The company acquired last October? I don't think that lines up with when the TotK cinematics would've been done.

totk cutscenes were done years before nintendo pictures acquisition and pikmin 4 cutscenes werent even made by nintendo

Indeed. I wonder if they will be involved in MP4's mocap or if it will be done at lets say... Sony's Santa Monica Mocap studio.
doubtful. mocap work requires being more hands on to supervise performances.

Nintendo Pictures probably just did some asset work for the listed games right now

YouTube's showing me Arlo videos again. From the titles and thumbnails I would guess the "Nintendo is doomed" phase he kinda had is over since now they are catering fully to him with all the GC love (he's so transparent in that regard, grew up with GameCube, that's where his taste developed, and where his comfort zone is)

_________

Yeas, not every studio cann keep the stuff between full productions. It's only possible for select studios, or for studios like EPD that are big enough and reshuffle stuff between projects.

Kinda surprised that Nintendo's not trying to kinda do something like that by expanding retro as a base and establishing multiple divisions so that they work on 3-4 games at different stages.
?????
When has Arlo ever been a Nintendo doom poster?

Indeed. I wonder if they will be involved in MP4's mocap or if it will be done at lets say... Sony's Santa Monica Mocap studio.
Nintendo had a dedicated mocap room years before the acquisition. Heck, Iwata even host a direct in that room once!

?????
I agree that he isn't but funnily enough I've seen him go full doomer once in his video about the Game Awards 2021, in particular when Nintendo lost Best Family Game to It Takes Two. For some reason that really broke his brain for two seconds and he really seemed down on the whole company as a result. He was back to normal in the next video but that was really funny.

Some unrelated Arlo lore for ya.

?????
Doom poster is maybe a little overstated, but he had phases where he did not seemed sufficiently happy with what was shown because it wasn't catering to his likes, and it was rather obvious, kinda "worried" takes. He was never a full on "doom poster", my point was more that he clearly wears his bias.

I had him for a while in my feed early in the switch life, but for my taste his videos are to much straight "fan rambling" like everybody here without much analytical or technical analysis, even if he sometimes tried to spin it that way. Its fine, but i can't remember having seen a video of his and coming back from it with more understanding or knowledge then before, so it wasnt for me.

Doom poster is maybe a little overstated, but he had phases where he did not seemed sufficiently happy with what was shown because it wasn't catering to his likes, and it was rather obvious, kinda "worried" takes. He was never a full on "doom poster", my point was more that he clearly wears his bias.

I had him for a while in my feed early in the switch life, but for my taste his videos are to much straight "fan rambling" like everybody here without much analytical or technical analysis, even if he sometimes tried to spin it that way. Its fine, but i can't remember having seen a video of his and coming back from it with more understanding or knowledge then before, so it wasnt for me.
Yeah overall, Arlo is very funnily enough either a fanboy or a doomposter depending on what you use. So that part doesn't really interest me.

For me, it's just that Arlo doesn't really focus or give time of day to certain types of games I like, and it feels like there are huge holes even in his Nintendo coverage (like refusing to play Xenoblade lol). So that limits his appeal a bunch for me. But being a fanboy or doomposter isn't really an issue since I don't think he fits either of that.

I agree that he isn't but funnily enough I've seen him go full doomer once in his video about the Game Awards 2021, in particular when Nintendo lost Best Family Game to It Takes Two. For some reason that really broke his brain for two seconds and he really seemed down on the whole company as a result. He was back to normal in the next video but that was really funny.

Some unrelated Arlo lore for ya.

Just watched this, holy shit lol

Homie was going through it

So I'm just now paying attention to the Pikmin 4 credits. Pretty interesting to see Tezuka as the producer. It makes sense, considering he co-produced Pikmin 2 and has always been the closest to Miyamoto. Miyamoto also getting the second General Producer credit of the year (TotK being the first), after not having any in 2022.

Eighting playing a bigger role in Pikmin development is a good thing as it frees up resources at EPD. Hopefully it leads to more games in the future.

If anything I feel Arlo is very even handed with his criticism (he has expert use of the compliment sandwich) and even self censors a little. I can feel in the videos where he shuts himself off a bit. Nintendo fans can be very touchy, so it makes sense. I feel I have broad tastes, but there were times in the switches life when things felt slower than I would expect given its replaced both the hand-held and home game releases. Then covid also happened so that didn't help at all. When you invest a good chunk of money, it's natural to want the product to have strong support. Sometimes shit happens though. Just play or do something else. We aren't short of cheap entertainment these days.

It was pretty apparent from the absence of certain things noted in the older job listings, even before that more recent interview, but Grezzo are continuing to hire for their "new original work".

It was pretty apparent from the absence of certain things noted in the older job listings, even before that more recent interview, but Grezzo are continuing to hire for their "new original work".

so Grezzo is gonna do a new IP on Switch sucessor, like they did with Ever Oasis on 3DS?

people joke about this, but i think its funny because it would be the first well received star fox game lmao
Believe it or not, most of the games were well-received. While I don't care much for stuff like Metacritic, all of the games have been in the mid 70s and above, except Assault and Zero - and Assault was probably a victim of the knee-jerk "Arwing only, no on-foot stuff" reactionary bent journalists had in the 00s. All of them except Assault, Command and Zero sold at least a million copies (Assault being just shy of it apparently).

Sure, the series isn't masterpiece after masterpiece, but it's honestly tiresome seeing the "only 64 was good or well-received" flippant comments, because it's not true if you look at reviews/sales and series fan reception.

Star Fox has spent the last two decades languishing in mediocrity, until it gets a few solid hits under its belt it's going to have that reputation following it.
honestly, most people more remember Fox and co from Smash than the games. they might as well just greenlight a cartoon, sans game, because SF is more notable for everything but the games at this point

Believe it or not, most of the games were well-received. While I don't care much for stuff like Metacritic, all of the games have been in the mid 70s and above, except Assault and Zero - and Assault was probably a victim of the knee-jerk "Arwing only, no on-foot stuff" reactionary bent journalists had in the 00s. All of them except Assault, Command and Zero sold at least a million copies (Assault being just shy of it apparently).

Sure, the series isn't masterpiece after masterpiece, but it's honestly tiresome seeing the "only 64 was good or well-received" flippant comments, because it's not true if you look at reviews/sales and series fan reception.

I still think that cohesive remake collection would be a good way to reestablish Star Fox. It would be tricky in some aspects, but has potential to further play to the strengths of the games and series -- even to fix up some of the lower points -- and to add some fun extra content here and there. This is then the definitive starting point for the series' story. I still think Star Fox: Lylat Wars would work as the title to encompass the content.
Star Fox has spent the last two decades languishing in mediocrity, until it gets a few solid hits under its belt it's going to have that reputation following it.

I suspect the reputation is overstated. It'll pop up a fair amount on forums such as this, but overall doesn't hold in the minds of the potential playerbase -- especially since the status of Star Fox 64 is just as well known.

But, yes, it needs some good games to start releasing. They don't need to be the biggest megahits ever, but one would hope the quality leads to at least sustainable sales.

honestly, most people more remember Fox and co from Smash than the games. they might as well just greenlight a cartoon, sans game, because SF is more notable for everything but the games at this point

This, I think, is where the series stands broadly. Like Captain Falcon, Fox McCloud and co. are Super Smash Bros. original characters.

Now, I don't think it needs to remain this way. There are options -- a few were discussed in brief up above -- and I think there's good potential there. But the point Star Fox is at now, as described here, is the point where we start. The characters are a selling point (and, yeah, this series seems uniquely poised for a cartoon of some sort, which can then point toward the games).

Some options regarding Next Level Games and PlatinumGames have been mentioned, but I'm sure there are other options with at least as much potential.

I still think that cohesive remake collection would be a good way to reestablish Star Fox. It would be tricky in some aspects, but has potential to further play to the strengths of the games and series -- even to fix up some of the lower points -- and to add some fun extra content here and there. This is then the definitive starting point for the series' story. I still think Star Fox: Lylat Wars would work as the title to encompass the content.

I suspect the reputation is overstated. It'll pop up a fair amount on forums such as this, but overall doesn't hold in the minds of the potential playerbase -- especially since the status of Star Fox 64 is just as well known.

But, yes, it needs some good games to start releasing. They don't need to be the biggest megahits ever, but one would hope the quality leads to at least sustainable sales.

This, I think, is where the series stands broadly. Like Captain Falcon, Fox McCloud and co. are Super Smash Bros. original characters.

Now, I don't think it needs to remain this way. There are options -- a few were discussed in brief up above -- and I think there's good potential there. But the point Star Fox is at now, as described here, is the point where we start. The characters are a selling point (and, yeah, this series seems uniquely poised for a cartoon of some sort, which can then point toward the games).

Some options regarding Next Level Games and PlatinumGames have been mentioned, but I'm sure there are other options with at least as much potential.
I think it's notable that Nintendo has taken chances remaking much more obscure/niche games that mostly diehards ask for, like Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars, so it's kind of odd they just don't bother with a Star Fox entry on Switch. I guess the one-two punch of Zero and Starlink flopping hurt their desire to bother with the Switch generation (though it could be argued that was due to factors like the Wii U and Toys to Life being dead and the controls being an obstacle, rather than the brand itself having little appeal). They could do the cohesive remake collection you suggested, or if they're feeling less ambitious, a remaster or remake of Assault where they fix the issues it has, and maybe do something like Guard or Bowser's Fury where they include a side game that could be a proof of concept to test the waters for a new direction.

Indeed, for most, Fox and co. are Smash characters. It's interesting to note that Pit was likely the same for many people, but even with all of Sakurai's clout and all the hype of an IP revival, Uprising sold just over a million copies, something the nearly 1:1 remake of SF64 did (albeit over a longer period). Maybe it was the controls turning people off, or maybe rail shooters are just not a big appeal, similar to how shmups are a niche genre now.

I very badly want to see a Star Fox on Switch (cross-gen is good too) but of course Nitnendo once again skips massively popular hardware that the series could find a big audience on. But like you said, it's still a series that is often brought up, and the characters are popular. The brand still has value. I just hope we don't have to wait for a TV series or movie to come out in like, 5 years, for them to finally release another game. Hopefully a great one that will put to rest the constant snide remarks the series gets. It deserves better.

What Starfox game do you even remake? Assault would be my pick, (bit it feels like its in port territory, maybe the ground sections need improving?) maybe or a very different version of starfox 2 (which had its lunch ate by 64 anyway?). 1, 64 and zero all feel like reboots of the same god damn story. This franchise has been spinning its wheels regardless of game quality. If we get another semi-reboot, it had better have a mostly new plot.

Star Fox can die if it means we get a new Sin and Punishment or Kid Icarus instead, the superior series.

I feel like Kid Icarus: Uprising's structure is a great way to make a new Star Fox. It's essentially the evolution of Star Fox design: 25 levels with flight rail shooting and third-person shooting on the ground, like Assault, except instead of giant arenas they're linear levels with gimmicks here and there. Also 25 levels instead of 10.

Also, the Landmaster sucks so bad. The Walker from Zero is so much better. If they ever do ground-based vehicles again, they should use the Walker or make the Landmaster just as mobile.

Still though, I have enjoyed most Star Fox games. The only one I absolutely despise is Adventures because it feels like they played Zelda but got the absolute worst ideas from it possible. Aside from that, the worst is really something like Command where it's just kind of mid, but not like super terrible. Even Zero is really fun and additionally it is one of the best co-op games I've experienced in recent times, though solo is still quite enjoyable.

Star fox is inherently flawed, i feel like.

• Its set in a dead genre.
  • From the beginning it was created to showcase the power of a platform. Then layer adapted to showcase gimmicks (3D, Zero)

So like, what do you do with it? You cant go big because it doesnt have potential, and Nintendo sees it solely as a way to showcase the newest toy.

Do you go cheaper and make a budget attempt just to seethe fans a little? I know if i was one id feel sad.

Maybe do you reboot it and do something completely different? I wouldnt blame fans for getting alienated by this.

Star Fox isn’t in the same category as Famicom remake or Advance Wars. Old dead IP’s Nintendo gave a remake for. Star Fox needs new games. It has gotten a new game every gen.

Star Fox is a full priced game. Miyamoto should never allow it to turn into some budget series.

Back
Top Bottom