• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What's in Store for Star Fox in 2023?

While I definitely want to believe that Nintendo is prototyping ideas for the series I doubt it's a high priority for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't materialize for a while and the next time we see something new for the IP is in a VR ride or future hardware with VR capability. With Imamura gone and Miyamoto busy with other stuff, it feels like there's few people left at Nintendo interested in bringing the IP back in the first place. Maybe Cuthbert and Q-Games would be up for a new game.
Platinum is right there

Ubisoft Toronto needs to take over the franchise. Not only they need to create brand new entry, they need to expand the universe by adding new locales and new characters (100% anthropomorphic of course). And revamp the land combat. Will that ever happen? Nooope.

Ubisoft Toronto needs to take over the franchise. Not only they need to create brand new entry, they need to expand the universe by adding new locales and new characters (100% anthropomorphic of course). And revamp the land combat. Will that ever happen? Nooope.
Ubisoft can't even make a Mario game without inserting their own IP, why would they just become the developers of a new SF title?

A Star Fox Open World game developed by the Star Link Team at Ubisoft. It contains a huuuge solar system to explore. It has a long eventful story and a lot of sidequests.

The great Fox is a sort of base where you can Level Up and improve your vehicles. The Solar System is a hubworld. Lot of planets can be visited and they contain several levels/ missions that can be repeated for better high scores. There will be Arwing, Tank, Submarine and Infantry Missions, either with tube or sandbox design. Sidequests are sort of headhunting missions and search for collectibles. Of course there are huge bosses. There is also big space stations that function as a sort of citys that can be visited and improved. The multiplayer mode should be awesome too.

They will either call it Star Fox Effect: Furry Universe or Star Fox Universe: Mass of Furry. But thus has not decided yet.

Last edited:
Ubisoft can't even make a Mario game without inserting their own IP, why would they just become the developers of a new SF title?
They'll definitely find a way to insert their own stuff into the game. But rest assured, that's never gonna happen. Ubisoft will never use Fox in any form. Fox will remain dead... forever. (seriously, no other dev I can think of to take on the job)

Nintendo February Direct 2023: It's been a long three weeks since the last Fire Emblem so we are shadow dropping the Fire Emblem Genealogy remake tomorrow. Also, Star Fox is dead.

no star fox game on the gc has the value of prime. It would be like selling prime 2 and 3 standalone, it wouldn't work. hell 64 itself barely sold and that is the most popular game of the series.
Yeah, given the mixed reception Adventures and Assault got, they'd have to be included in a collection, or given way more polish, to the point of remakes, to justify solo releases.
the most logical connection would be to incorporate Steel Diver's gameplay into Star Fox. I don't think there are any water sections in the series, so that would be a good place to start
I've never played Steel Diver. How does it compare with Star Fox, or the Blue Marine segments of 64? All I know about it is that Imamura worked on it (and he's retired now) and Giles Goddard was lead programmer, but he's since moved on to do a spiritual successor to 1080° Snowboarding on Oculus Quest.

I've never played Steel Diver. How does it compare with Star Fox, or the Blue Marine segments of 64? All I know about it is that Imamura worked on it (and he's retired now) and Giles Goddard was lead programmer, but he's since moved on to do a spiritual successor to 1080° Snowboarding on Oculus Quest.
It's much, much slower and is 2D for the most part. You do get medals based on performance though. Sub Wars which has the blue marine is first person but still much slower and you aren't shooting waves of enemies.

I think it's time to give Monolith Soft Kyoto a game that they can take development credit for.

I think it's time to give Monolith Soft Kyoto a game that they can take development credit for.
Maybe Monolith can make a truly Japanese Mass Furry Effect with open world sections and good cutscenes.

Star Fox will be subtly referenced in Pikmin 4's collectopedia, and less subtly referenced in this year's re-release of F ZERO GX.

Please understand.

I still think a re-release of Starfox Zero adding... all of the content the actual game was missing, and making it a bit more focused instead of a weird messy experience, would likely be enough for a soft reboot of the series.

Love this thread! I don't know if Nintendo will do much to acknowledge this great franchise's anniversary, but don't be surprised if Famiboards does ;)

No one is considering that the HD remake Namco is working on is about Starfox instead of Kid Icarus?

I think Sakurai going "haha, wouldn't it be nice if someone remade Uprising?" is what put a lot of attention on Kid Icarus.

It's true, and I include myself, because it would excite me enormously. But I can't imagine Uprising's gameplay transposed properly to Switch. Personally, I dream of Next Level taking over Starfox Adventures the same way Retro took over Country, but I think most likely is an HD remaster of the work Namco had done on Gamecube.

Personally, I dream of Next Level taking over Starfox Adventures the same way Retro took over Country,
Next Level taking over StarFox has long since been a desire of mine, as well.

I still think about what might have been, had something like Federation Force been constructed with StarFox in mind, instead of Metroid.

Starfox is a Saturday morning cartoon just waiting to happen. 4 guys with space fighter jets working as a team to overcome a galactic threat and personal hurdles?
Give it to an animation studio with some good writers who can streamline the lore and improve on it. Then release a game based on the cartoon.

Or alternatively give it to Project Aces and make a "gritty" Ace Combat Starfox game.

This is another thing on my list.

Imagine me learning that supposedly Bamco was making a StarFox game, only for it to NOT be "Furry Ace Combat", as I had hoped?

I just want Falco screaming on comms being muffled by afterburner, being muffled by Arwing getting ripped to shreds, being muffled by electric guitars, being muffled by an entire orchestra.

no, it was just Star Fox, now with on-foot missions

And what we got will never cease to disappoint me.

That's part of the reason I wouldn't be entirely jubilant if the Namco remaster/remake thing somehow turned out to be StarFox Assault. Unless they gave it a severe overhaul, it'd still be a campaign made up mostly of MP levels.

And what we got will never cease to disappoint me.

That's part of the reason I wouldn't be entirely jubilant if the Namco remaster/remake thing somehow turned out to be StarFox Assault. Unless they gave it a severe overhaul, it'd still be a campaign made up mostly of MP levels.
either they should do a complete remake or do a sequel with more contemporary third person shooter level design

Well there’s that fan game that has been in development for a while now…

If they do open “space” I’d rather they stick with the Lylat System and make the planets feel big.

Also, I'll be the outlier and say I don't hate a single Star Fox Game, no not even Adventures, Assault, Command, or Zero. I think all of them have stages that are worthy of the Star Fox name and none of them should be discounted. (And honestly? Just change the reset button in Zero to a toggle from the classic to the new control system. Sure many will just default to the new system but they weren't ever going to change their minds in the first place. The game of Zero itself is fun and their are many levels that are great (Sector Beta and Omega in particular)).

Treasure is going to come out of dormancy, re-assemble its entire Sin and Punishment: Star Successor team and Nintendo will contract them to make a new Star Fox, duh!

Right....

...right?

The thing is that "action" game is a pretty broad descriptor, especially when it comes to Nintendo. Even TTYD is described as an "Action RPG" on the JP site. I'd say any first-party title with combat that isn't strictly turn-based probably classifies.

Then you need to consider what title Nintendo would even consider for a remaster, especially since it will likely be for full price. Examples like Kid Icarus Uprising at least have critical reception on their side, even if they didn't sell gangbusters.

Last edited:

Wow I have never heard of this before. A long time ago I suggested on here that Monolithsoft could do a Star Fox RPG, with world traversal like XCX. They already know their sci-fi, character-based worldbuilding quite well. But I think as awesome as that would be, they're probably going to continue making Xeno games until the end of time lol
I think Sakurai going "haha, wouldn't it be nice if someone remade Uprising?" is what put a lot of attention on Kid Icarus.
Yeah this was the moment I knew the Bamco remaster would be Kid Icarus. Not gonna lie, my heart sank a little. I know people really really love KI:U, but I was hoping it'd be Star Fox Assault, reworked and with online play. I'm not opposed to KI:U getting a remaster (I'd like to play it without hands dying after 10 minutes of playing), but KI was kind of a one-and-done, and Star Fox really needs the boost more imo.
It's true, and I include myself, because it would excite me enormously. But I can't imagine Uprising's gameplay transposed properly to Switch. Personally, I dream of Next Level taking over Starfox Adventures the same way Retro took over Country, but I think most likely is an HD remaster of the work Namco had done on Gamecube.
Next Level Games would also be a great choice. They're really good at showcasing character personality and animation, and that would be perfect for the Star Fox cast.
This is another thing on my list.

Imagine me learning that supposedly Bamco was making a StarFox game, only for it to NOT be "Furry Ace Combat", as I had hoped?
This was a bit of a controversy back in the day, but people assumed it was the Ace Combat team making Assault, but in fact it was the Klonoa team. If you look at the credits, most of the key staff were the Klonoa leads. It sort of makes sense, because they're both games series with furry characters, but obviously the devs didn't have the flight combat gameplay experience. Still, I love Assault, and I love the Klonoa series, so it worked for me, even if it wasn't perfect.

A remake of 64/Adventures/Assault, merging them together into one long narrative (maybe even in an episodic manner like Miyamoto originally wanted to do with Zero) and bridging the gameplay styles and various plots together would be really fascinating. If Monolithsoft can make 100+ hour RPGs, then surely Nintendo could find somebody to make a 30 hour Star Fox remake opus. I honestly really like this idea, but it would be tricky (heh) to pull off.
Exactly. It could be especially fascinating to see how it all comes together, how writing might be altered to strengthen different aspects, how it highlights the shifts in gameplay.

If everything did manage to be included, Star Fox: Lylat Wars would really be the perfect way to title the complete remake. Perhaps look at it as a cohesive whole and craft a particular conclusion to that whole arc.

It would be a grandiose opportunity to put that story in the spotlight with these characters.

Of course, as previously noted, Adventures and Assault would pose some amount of difficulty here. Their playstyles, particularly as on-foot is concerned, have a stark incongruence between each other, though this could theoretically be resolved for purposes of the project. Beyond that, they would likely see the largest overhauls, to where Nintendo might see more fit to release them otherwise.

Adventures in particular, I can see a lot of ways it could go. Theoretically, it could strengthen the Classic 3D Zelda structure it imitates, and maybe it could manage to do that while still leaning into the stylish character action as mentioned previously (I could see dungeon areas and missions as being treated somewhat similarly to StarFox stages, even to the ability to select them to revisit and improve score, despite general world setup working the same).

That's aside from other things that could be done, such as switching back to the deuteroganist setup. Maybe even incorporate some form of two-player using Tricky with Fox and then Krystal's pterodactyl CloudRunner friend with her, and then both foxes together later on.

Of course, let's say it were to be remade into that collection. There's the potential for player vs player shenanigans along the lines of Resident Evil's Mercenaries Star Fox: Assault's battle mode, but more fleshed out and bringing in characters from across the collection. Appearances in different games could essentially be different loadouts for characters.

(you know, in case Nintendo ever terminates their online service, not that they've ever done that before, lol)
Pfft, right, like that would ever happen. One of the reasons I'm not fond of reliance on subscription services, though. I figure Nintendo's probably planning to keep this one around, for instance, but you really can't ever guarantee the long term.

They should make a fun arcade space shooter. The story should mostly be in the manual/opening cut scene. Andross is back, and the boys gotta take em down again!
I would do this but during the fun space shooter segments there's a lot of very dramatic story going on throughout the gameplay. Basically like an audio soap opera with space animals with story paths reminiscent of Command's endings.

Kind of like how Operation Big Wave goes but an arcade shooter.

Exactly. It could be especially fascinating to see how it all comes together, how writing might be altered to strengthen different aspects, how it highlights the shifts in gameplay.

If everything did manage to be included, Star Fox: Lylat Wars would really be the perfect way to title the complete remake. Perhaps look at it as a cohesive whole and craft a particular conclusion to that whole arc.

It would be a grandiose opportunity to put that story in the spotlight with these characters.

Of course, as previously noted, Adventures and Assault would pose some amount of difficulty here. Their playstyles, particularly as on-foot is concerned, have a stark incongruence between each other, though this could theoretically be resolved for purposes of the project. Beyond that, they would likely see the largest overhauls, to where Nintendo might see more fit to release them otherwise.

Adventures in particular, I can see a lot of ways it could go. Theoretically, it could strengthen the Classic 3D Zelda structure it imitates, and maybe it could manage to do that while still leaning into the stylish character action as mentioned previously (I could see dungeon areas and missions as being treated somewhat similarly to StarFox stages, even to the ability to select them to revisit and improve score, despite general world setup working the same).

That's aside from other things that could be done, such as switching back to the deuteroganist setup. Maybe even incorporate some form of two-player using Tricky with Fox and then Krystal's pterodactyl CloudRunner friend with her, and then both foxes together later on.

Of course, let's say it were to be remade into that collection. There's the potential for player vs player shenanigans along the lines of Resident Evil's Mercenaries Star Fox: Assault's battle mode, but more fleshed out and bringing in characters from across the collection. Appearances in different games could essentially be different loadouts for characters.

Pfft, right, like that would ever happen. One of the reasons I'm not fond of reliance on subscription services, though. I figure Nintendo's probably planning to keep this one around, for instance, but you really can't ever guarantee the long term.
This all sounds great. I'm really sold on the idea of merging the main console games into one big narrative. If Monolithsoft were given a shot at making a Star Fox RPG, they could probably pull it off.

Brainstorming for a bit: In terms of story, they could merge elements of SNES Star Fox 1, 2 and Star Fox 64 into one big Lylat War, maybe with flashbacks showing Fox's time at the Academy with his dad. Then they could adapt Farewell Beloved Falco and have Captain Shears and Clone Andross be a transitional, lower-scale interlude that leads to Spirit Andross destroying Cerinia, Krystal tracing him back to Sauria, and her and the team working together to destroy Andross once and for all. Maybe Andross' telekenetic spirit gets the attention of the Aparoids, who invade, and Assault goes as it does, but teases a sequel where a weakened Corneria and Venom creates a power vacuum for a possible upheaval of the usual Star Fox story.

Hire me Nintendo, lol

In terms of gameplay, I think the "if it's on foot, it sucks" fan discourse Star Fox games tend to get is limiting, since even Star Fox 64 had on foot stuff (in multiplayer) and Star Fox 2 had a walker mod, Star Fox 64 had the Landmaster, etc. Before Adventures, Imamura and Miyamoto were already brainstorming an on foot shooter starring Fox. I liked that Assault allowed opportunities to tackle objectives on foot, in sky or via tank, so they could work more versatility into the gameplay to allow more options for tackling objectives. This may mean they switch up between rail and all-range more often, or even make it more of a sandbox/hub world system. Honestly, I don't think a pure rail shooter would work as well with a wider audience today. The genre was useful for being a graphics/tech showcase in arcades and consoles back in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, but it's no longer necessary, and gameplay has gotten more involved since then. I definitely don't feel the series benefits from being a pure arcade style. Maybe a roguelike or something like Hades, but otherwise I'd like a focus on narrative like the Xenoblade series.

As for their online services, I am pretty wary of going all-digital with Nintendo, unlike Steam or Sony. I still buy their boxed games whenever I can. Hopefully the e-shop will stick around for a long long time, but considering there were serious debates if they would have BC in the Switch Successor, I think that uncertainty they've given their audience will be hard to shake for a while.

This all sounds great. I'm really sold on the idea of merging the main console games into one big narrative. If Monolithsoft were given a shot at making a Star Fox RPG, they could probably pull it off.

Knowing Monolith Soft and their love for western games, it wouldn't surprise me if they took inspiration from the Ratchet and Clank franchise.

I always thought Good Feel could be a good candidate for a Starfox title. They have developers that worked on Gradius, Parodius, and Contra. I could get behind a Starfox title that has traditional air based levels and Contra-like (over the top setpiece action) ground based missions.

Knowing Monolith Soft and their love for western games, it wouldn't surprise me if they took inspiration from the Ratchet and Clank franchise.
Oh, which ones have they cited as being fans of? I am learning all kinds of new things about Monolithsoft in this thread!
I always thought Good Feel could be a good candidate for a Starfox title. They have developers that worked on Gradius, Parodius, and Contra. I could get behind a Starfox title that has traditional air based levels and Contra-like (over the top setpiece action) ground based missions.
I didn't know they were made up of former Konami employees. That's pretty cool. They've done well-received entries in the Wario and Yoshi series, so I think it'd be neat to see their take on Star Fox.

Series like Star Fox and Punch-Out could have a home on the eShop if Nintendo was comfortable putting out arcade-style, smaller games for 30 dollars or so, but Nintendo will never actively devalue their own IP like that.

I could see, perhaps, an episodic series of StarFox installments released on eShop, which are packaged together at retail once the project is complete -- kind of a mix of approaches that attempts to mitigate any perceived devaluing.

Punch-Out!, I could see having some elements added: the ability to use motion controls, which adds the opportunity to include a "training" (workout) mode, for instance.

Ubisoft Toronto needs to take over the franchise.
A Star Fox Open World game developed by the Star Link Team at Ubisoft.

I never played it, but I was under the impression Star Link did okay with incorporating StarFox into its own project but wasn't really the strongest showing for what a new StarFox title could be. What about it made it a good starting point?

If Ubisoft were to handle StarFox, one might assume it could be the Milan team, but there's a strong chance it wouldn't be a traditional installment.

Next Level taking over StarFox has long since been a desire of mine, as well.

I still think about what might have been, had something like Federation Force been constructed with StarFox in mind, instead of Metroid.

I could definitely see the potential for Next Level to pull off a really good StarFox title. As for the consideration of their animation capabilities, that could be put to use in any number of ways -- one if those is in the interest of putting a bit more highlight on the characters, which I've considered could aid in helping the series gain further success.

Yeah, the thing with Federation Force in this context is that it really seems like something that could have been reworked into something that actually feels like it gells with the StarFox franchise; even the ability to play with four people working together fits, and it could have leaned into some arcade elements to further cement that.

Theoretically something like that could still happen.

Platinum is right there
They’re probably working on more worthwhile stuff.

I'm sure they have people who would jump at the chance to make StarFox. Hideki Kamiya famously, and to his later regret, has commented on how he would like a shot at it. It wouldn't have to be him, of course.

I'm any case, it does correlate well with my assertion that a character action take could be made to mesh well with the series as a whole.

Treasure is going to come out of dormancy, re-assemble its entire Sin and Punishment: Star Successor team and Nintendo will contract them to make a new Star Fox, duh!

Right....

...right?

They're actually going to return to make a new Sin & Punishment and put out a trilogy release.

Back
Top Bottom