• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What's in Store for Star Fox in 2023?

Miraj

Moblin
Pronouns
He/Him
In February 1993, Nintendo released the original Star Fox in Japan. Shortly thereaferwards, the US and Europe were introduced to this now-classic series, and it was a huge success. Even despite its ups and downs over the years, it's a well-known franchise with the quippy characters, fantastic music, and technological accomplishments still fondly remembered. Some of the games are legit classics.

Fans have been speculating on what Nintendo could do with the IP on Switch. Besides an extensive cameo in the (imo, underrated) Ubisoft game Starlink: Battle for Atlas, their usual place in Smash Bros, the expected NSO additions, and a few launch system avatars, Fox and co. have been absent from Nintendo's plans or general acknowledgements. For all intents and purposes, the IP is in hibernation after several underperforming, arguably misguided entries. No new game is apparently on the horizon.

Now just a few months away from the series' 30th anniversary, I wonder what they could do with the series. Are they going to acknowledge it at all, or will it be another Metroid 30th and Donkey Kong 40th where they are radio silent, but secretly working on a new game?

Insiders have suggested that the IP is not dead, and some speculate that it may get a TV show or movie in addition to a new game, but all indicators are that these are years - many years - away, and the will miss the wildly successful Switch entirely.

Practically everything released on Switch has been a hit. Many rarely seen IPs returned with their best selling entries, like Mario Strikers and Pikmin. Even Advance Wars got a revival (its release put on hold for obvious reasons). The latest industry gossip is that F-Zero is coming back. Sakurai heavily implied Kid Icarus Uprising is returning. There's even rumblings of Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment revivals. It seems Nintendo is putting everything on Switch, likely to great success, except Star Fox. As a fan wanting to see the series become a big hit again, this is beyond frustrating.

I would hate to see this series once again miss a popular platform (GBA, Wii) or release at the tail end of its life when it's already pretty much a dead system (GCN, WiiU, SNES if you count Star Fox 2's last minute cancellation). This series has incredible potential but Nintendo seems to have no idea how to manage its releases. Hopefully we finally see something this year, and it's more than just Star Fox 64 with new gimmicks.

So what would some possibilities be?

1. Remasters/Remakes - This is likely the last big year of the Switch's life before the successor comes along and releases begin to shift to the new platform, and besides TOTK, FE: Engage and Pikmin 4, Nintendo notably has a lot of DLC planned for 2023, and insider rumors suggest lots of remasters and remakes. Could it be a possibility that one or more of the Gamecube titles could get the remakester treatment, a la Xenoblade DE or Kirby: Return to Dreamland DX (or the rumored Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX)? Could, for instance, Playtonic be working on a remake of Adventures or Bamco remaking Assault? Would they be a double pack or released individually? Or could Q-Games return to their original 3DS pitch and do a full remake of the original SNES game, perhaps as an e-shop exclusive?

2. Star Fox Zero Port - I honestly hope this isn't the case because I feel like Zero was a misguided project regardless of the motion controls. We did not need yet another SF64 remake/reboot/re-whatever, and I'd be fine if the game was seen as a weird gaiden entry that the franchise ignored moving forward. But if they did port it, I hope they not only give it normal controls, but an online dogfight mode and potentially more story content, maybe introducing characters from Assault or Star Fox 2. It would need to do a lot to wash the bad word of mouth Zero has from the community.

3. A New Game - The most exciting prospect is a full new entry. The big question is what they do with the series moving forward. Do they do yet another reboot? A direct sequel to Assault (like how Dread continued the Metroid story after a decade+)? A multiverse story where the various timelines are combined into one canon entry moving forward, similar to BOTW placing a marker on the convoluted Zelda timeline? Would the game be pure arcade rail shooting or would it be ✨Furry Mass Effect✨, or something in-between or altogehter different?

4. A Spinoff - A final possibility is that we could see a spinoff game. Maybe a musou or a rogue-like. Something that would maybe be more of a franchise celebration like how Hyrule Warriors brought in characters from all over the Zelda timeline, or how Fire Emblem Engage lets you use Lords from the franchise history. Let's just hope it's more like Hyrule Warriors and less like Federation Force (I'm sure FedForce is great, but it was not what Metroid needed at the time).

What do you think? What would you prefer to see the next Star Fox release be? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, but please let's refrain from "Star Fox sux" drive-by posts. The IP is still an important one. Do you think we'll get anything for the 30th anniversary, or will Nintendo give it an acknowledgement tweet and then announce five new Kirby and Fire Emblem games? Or will we get nothing at all and Star Fox will be one of the few notable Nintendo IP to skip the Switch and miss a chance at potential franchise revival?

Emily told us in 2019, that Ninty made some demos/prototypes of the Star Fox, not that it will turn into the full game but you get the point. It's the same as Pikmin. I don't see it happening in 2023 tho, and even Miyamoto is involved in so much stuff this year.

I don't think we're seeing anything from this franchise this year.

Though it would be easy to make a "Star Fox 30" and call it a day.

Honestly the fact that Takaya Imamura, who has been probably the most important figure in Star Fox besides Miyamoto, retired from Nintendo nearly two years ago tells me we're probably not getting anything Star Fox related for awhile. Guy clearly still loves the series and with his freelance nature he has actually stated he'd be willing to return to work on it and F-Zero if Nintendo were to give him the call, so if there was a big new Star Fox game in development circa early 2021, then I'm fairly certain he'd stay around at least long enough to see it finished. Best hope is that maybe they got a new lead/character artist and started development on a new game shortly after he left.

At best, maybe a port or something like what's seemingly going on with F-Zero.

Last edited:
StarFox Musou FINALLY happens, as it's the choice for Koei Tecmo's designated "Nintendo collab" this year. It basically takes over where Gundam Musou left off, complete with huge, bioweapon bosses to fight!

But in all seriousness...Nintendo having a spotty/selective record when it comes to anniversaries as it is, I don't think we'll get much of anything. At best, an announcement for something that will take off at a later date.

Star Fox Zero Deluxe, of course.

Completely reworked to be even more like SF64 but to serve as a new starting point for the series. Then on Switch 2 they'll make Star Fox One which is another reimagining of SF64

I definitely miss Star Fox. Loved Star Fox Adventure but I don't think we will ever see that one again. Would love to give Star Fox Zero a chance if they could bring it over to Switch with controls better suited to a standard gamepad. Wouldn't mind Star Fox Assault and others as well and of course something new and exciting would be great.

I love Star Fox, sadly I’m not feeling it this year. I think for Nintendo’s not constantly active series they sort of cycle through them. Star Fox had its chance with Zero and blew it so it’s going to be taking a break for a while. I think we’ll get a new one, one day, just not this year. Pikmin, F-Zero, and DK are all up first for series that have been sitting out for a while (maybe even Kid Icarus if the speculated Uprising port pans out). After those and depending on how they blow up or not (if any get promoted to active franchises), then Star Fox is likely going to be up next.

They’re saving it for Switch 2. They’re gonna pour a lot of money and development into making Star Fox sell well and have great reception

Star Fox is basically on the same category as F-Zero in my opinion. They're wild cards. If there's a possibility of F-Zero coming back, then Star Fox might too. Though in terms of their respective genres, Star Fox sounds a bit less appealing. It would come as a remake/remaster of Assault or Adventures.

Wait for like 2024 or 2025 maybe.

I remember when this was revealed and I got so excited, but then people said it was just placeholder assets for testing games and it didn't mean anything :(
Emily told us in 2019, that Ninty made some demos/prototypes of the Star Fox, not that it will turn into the full game but you get the point. It's the same as Pikmin. I don't see it happening in 2023 tho, and even Miyamoto is involved in so much stuff this year.
I can't remember if Miyamoto is really heavily involved in games anymore. He seems to have been pretty hands off during the Switch era, and is semi-retired, focusing on theme parks and movies. I'll be super curious to see how involved he was in Pikmin 4, other than talking about it publicly (whether he was supposed to or not lol).
Honestly the fact that Takaya Imamura, who has been probably the most important figure in Star Fox besides Miyamoto, retired from Nintendo nearly two years ago tells me we're probably not getting anything Star Fox related for awhile. Guy clearly still loves the series and with his freelance nature he has actually stated he'd be willing to return to work on it and F-Zero if Nintendo were to give him the call, so if there was a big new Star Fox game in development circa early 2021, then I'm fairly certain he'd stay around at least long enough to see it finished. Best hope is that maybe they got a new lead/character artist and started development on a new game shortly after he left.

At best, maybe a port or something like what's seemingly going on with F-Zero.
Considering Imamura gave us the art and story for Command, good riddance - lol jk (sorta). I think Imamura wasn't able to contribute much else to the games since all we got since Command were SF64 remakes. I do think his work behind the scenes on The Battle Begins anime promo was excellent though. Also was pleased that Benimaru Itoh worked on that as well. I wonder if either of them were instrumental in getting Star Fox 2 released. My understanding was that it was the SNES Classic devs who pushed for that, but that may have just been speculation I read.
StarFox Musou FINALLY happens, as it's the choice for Koei Tecmo's designated "Nintendo collab" this year. It basically takes over where Gundam Musou left off, complete with huge, bioweapon bosses to fight!

But in all seriousness...Nintendo having a spotty/selective record when it comes to anniversaries as it is, I don't think we'll get much of anything. At best, an announcement for something that will take off at a later date.
Well, there was this: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...o_pitched_a_star_fox_game_but_it_was_rejected
I think it sounds pretty cool and I would've liked a "on foot" Star Fox that was a musou. Give Fox his weapons from Smash (guns and laser swords), Krystal uses her staff, Slippy could have remote controlled robots or something... lots of possibilities.

But more than likely KT will announce a bunch of Fire Emblems instead lol
Star Fox Zero Deluxe, of course.

Completely reworked to be even more like SF64 but to serve as a new starting point for the series. Then on Switch 2 they'll make Star Fox One which is another reimagining of SF64
Ugh, the pain.
I definitely miss Star Fox. Loved Star Fox Adventure but I don't think we will ever see that one again. Would love to give Star Fox Zero a chance if they could bring it over to Switch with controls better suited to a standard gamepad. Wouldn't mind Star Fox Assault and others as well and of course something new and exciting would be great.
When I was a kid, I got a Gamecube for Christmas with Star Fox Adventures and Metroid Prime. I absolutely loved both games. Adventures would benefit from a remake where Krystal is the other protagonist. Playtonic or Ember Lab could do it. The former are made up of Rare people (I think some even worked on Adventures) and the latter's Kena game felt a lot like what a modern take on the game could be like.
2023: Year of the Star Fox anniversary tweet
I hate how prescient this likely is lol
I love Star Fox, sadly I’m not feeling it this year. I think for Nintendo’s not constantly active series they sort of cycle through them. Star Fox had its chance with Zero and blew it so it’s going to be taking a break for a while. I think we’ll get a new one, one day, just not this year. Pikmin, F-Zero, and DK are all up first for series that have been sitting out for a while (maybe even Kid Icarus if the speculated Uprising port pans out). After those and depending on how they blow up or not (if any get promoted to active franchises), then Star Fox is likely going to be up next.
Zero I kinda feel was a last minute attempt to justify the Gamepad and also fill out the calendar while they prepped the Switch launch, rather than a true attempt at reinvigorating the series. A lot of new releases sold poorly (as in under a million) on Wii U around that time (Mario Tennis, Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Paper Mario), yet all got new entries or ports to Switch - except Star Fox. so I hope they don't consider it a sign that Star Fox specifically has no future, while all those others do.

Supposedly Nintendo wants to get as many franchises on the Switch as possible, and we have rumors of everything from F-Zero to Baiten Kaitos coming to it, along with the games you mentioned. I hope they can find time to squeeze a Star Fox in there, as it's one IP I think is ripe for revitalization.

I remember when this was revealed and I got so excited, but then people said it was just placeholder assets for testing games and it didn't mean anything :(

I can't remember if Miyamoto is really heavily involved in games anymore. He seems to have been pretty hands off during the Switch era, and is semi-retired, focusing on theme parks and movies. I'll be super curious to see how involved he was in Pikmin 4, other than talking about it publicly (whether he was supposed to or not lol).

Considering Imamura gave us the art and story for Command, good riddance - lol jk (sorta). I think Imamura wasn't able to contribute much else to the games since all we got since Command were SF64 remakes. I do think his work behind the scenes on The Battle Begins anime promo was excellent though. Also was pleased that Benimaru Itoh worked on that as well. I wonder if either of them were instrumental in getting Star Fox 2 released. My understanding was that it was the SNES Classic devs who pushed for that, but that may have just been speculation I read.

Well, there was this: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...o_pitched_a_star_fox_game_but_it_was_rejected
I think it sounds pretty cool and I would've liked a "on foot" Star Fox that was a musou. Give Fox his weapons from Smash (guns and laser swords), Krystal uses her staff, Slippy could have remote controlled robots or something... lots of possibilities.

But more than likely KT will announce a bunch of Fire Emblems instead lol

Ugh, the pain.

When I was a kid, I got a Gamecube for Christmas with Star Fox Adventures and Metroid Prime. I absolutely loved both games. Adventures would benefit from a remake where Krystal is the other protagonist. Playtonic or Ember Lab could do it. The former are made up of Rare people (I think some even worked on Adventures) and the latter's Kena game felt a lot like what a modern take on the game could be like.

I hate how prescient this likely is lol

Zero I kinda feel was a last minute attempt to justify the Gamepad and also fill out the calendar while they prepped the Switch launch, rather than a true attempt at reinvigorating the series. A lot of new releases sold poorly (as in under a million) on Wii U around that time (Mario Tennis, Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Paper Mario), yet all got new entries or ports to Switch - except Star Fox. so I hope they don't consider it a sign that Star Fox specifically has no future, while all those others do.

Supposedly Nintendo wants to get as many franchises on the Switch as possible, and we have rumors of everything from F-Zero to Baiten Kaitos coming to it, along with the games you mentioned. I hope they can find time to squeeze a Star Fox in there, as it's one IP I think is ripe for revitalization.
I do see the original Switch continuing for a good few years, so hopefully they try a port of Assault or a revamped version of Zero at least, but I think there’s a more decent-ish chance of it being a new game. It’s only this year I’m sadly not feeling. There’s a lot going on already and I’m not sure if there’s the bandwidth for much more.

They’re saving it for Switch 2. They’re gonna pour a lot of money and development into making Star Fox sell well and have great reception
I wonder if Switch 2 will have something like VR, and they'll make Star Fox a launch title for the system. In the meantime, I hope we'd see the Gamecube games return in some form.
I do see the original Switch continuing for a good few years, so hopefully they try a port of Assault or a revamped version of Zero at least, but I think there’s a more decent-ish chance of it being a new game. It’s only this year I’m sadly not feeling. There’s a lot going on already and I’m not sure if there’s the bandwidth for much more.
My concern is that the Switch Successor comes along and it's like the 3DS in its final years, where games still come out for it, and flop. Sometimes horribly. I don't want to see Star Fox keep getting releases on systems that are on the waning part of their popularity. At least the Switch Successor might be backwards compatible, hopefully.
Star Fox is basically on the same category as F-Zero in my opinion. They're wild cards. If there's a possibility of F-Zero coming back, then Star Fox might too. Though in terms of their respective genres, Star Fox sounds a bit less appealing. It would come as a remake/remaster of Assault or Adventures.
I would love a remake/remaster of either games. Adventures with dual protags like the original Dinosaur Planet idea, with ship traversal too. Assault with improved control and an online multiplayer mode.
our lord and savior zippo said nintendo is making a star fox with companion series i think
Oh yeah, I saw his blog post about how they're shopping around for developers to make a quasi-reboot/sequel, and while I welcome any Star Fox rumors, that sounds like they're only just now looking into it, which is worriesome if this actually ends up being true.

Yep! That's exactly what I was thinking about~!

Again, I still lean more towards the vehicle/mecha side of things. Cuz as much as I love Fox and pals, to me, it's still the Arwing that should be sharing the spotlight with Fox as the "main character". And maybe Koei could do something with the transforming mecha aspect from Zero in a way that translates well to blowing up thousands of mooks.

Yep! That's exactly what I was thinking about~!

Again, I still lean more towards the vehicle/mecha side of things. Cuz as much as I love Fox and pals, to me, it's still the Arwing that should be sharing the spotlight with Fox as the "main character". And maybe Koei could do something with the transforming mecha aspect from Zero in a way that translates well to blowing up thousands of mooks.
Heck they could do a Rift Apart or Vanquish thing and give them thruster boots or some kind of augmented suit so they can zip around levels at high speeds!

I wonder if Switch 2 will have something like VR, and they'll make Star Fox a launch title for the system. In the meantime, I hope we'd see the Gamecube games return in some form.

My concern is that the Switch Successor comes along and it's like the 3DS in its final years, where games still come out for it, and flop. Sometimes horribly. I don't want to see Star Fox keep getting releases on systems that are on the waning part of their popularity. At least the Switch Successor might be backwards compatible, hopefully.

I would love a remake/remaster of either games. Adventures with dual protags like the original Dinosaur Planet idea, with ship traversal too. Assault with improved control and an online multiplayer mode.

Oh yeah, I saw his blog post about how they're shopping around for developers to make a quasi-reboot/sequel, and while I welcome any Star Fox rumors, that sounds like they're only just now looking into it, which is worriesome if this actually ends up being true.
I think the next console will be backwards compatible and many releases will be essentially for both in a big cross gen period which is why I wouldn’t worry about it too much compared to the 3DS.

Remember everytime someone suggest star fox furry mass effect a puppy dies so pls don't kill more innocent animals.
As far as star fox in 2023, I don't think we're getting anything, especially because I don't know who would be making it.

I agree that they should have something for Star Fox before the end of the Switch's life if they intend to represent most of their major franchises on the platform. Whether that be a new game or remaster who knows.

If they do pick a remaster their options are limited due to the mixed reception to the franchise. Star Fox Zero is basically an impossible game to port in its current form from Wii U, and even if they put in the time to work around it, it probably wouldn't be worth it due to the bad reputation of that game.

Star Fox 64 is the most beloved entry but Nintendo already had a high profile remake of that game on 3DS during its launch year in addition to now being on N64 NSO. I know people could point to Xenoblade 1 but the reach of that game was far more limited due to being New 3DS Exclusive as well as a pretty obscure title in the west on Wii.

So if they did pick a remaster I think the most likely option would be either Star Fox Adventures or Star Fox Assault from the Gamecube, or possibly together as a double pack. Those games do have their fans, but they also have their detractors and don't carry a high reputation like Star Fox 64.

In that sense a new game may be their best option even if it isn't ready in time for the Switch's lifecycle. I think Star Fox has a pretty bad reputation for quality amongst the Nintendo IP and if Nintendo wants this franchise to continue and grow a bigger audience they need to address Star Fox's lack of quality control, so maybe re-releasing titles with less than stellar reception is counter intuitive there. (Even though I have never played Adventures and would immediately buy a remaster of it)

Last edited:
At least post-Zero we did get another SF game via an official release of Star Fox 2 in 2017 for the SNES Classic. An ancient lost SNES game sure but its the first ever release of it.

What's in store for Star Fox in 2023?

200w.gif

But in a few more years they'll make the same rail-shooter again with marginal differences and gimmicks and wonder why its success is so limited.

I don't know if we'll actually get anything Star Fox this year, but a something good from that would certainly be welcome.

One possibility that has occurred to me off and on is a sort of remake collection, taking at least Star Fox/64 and Star Fox II and fashioning them into a cohesive narrative -- finding themes and character arcs to strengthen and such, establishing the different (especially those lesser known) characters, and so forth, as the gameplay transitions from the classic style to something more akin to II's, with a few side missions (including Guard) and vignettes that can further flesh out the world and characters.

The idea had started as a thought of fashioning more the whole narrative thus far into one package so it can all be cemented and fresh as the series moves forward, but that gets a bit more complicated at this point, given Adventures and Assault and their disparate approaches to the on-foot element they both have. Theoretically, they could be matched up, but they already worked differently enough that seems unlikely.

As it is, a straight up collection of games seems much more likely; it doesn't offer the prospective benefits but also doesn't hold the same challenges (I'd also prefer the original games be included in the remake option for preservation purposes, but that seems also highly unlikely).

As for a new title, I wouldn't even be necessarily be surprised if one took a more character action route. Such games often have elements like the results screen, which holds similarity to the stage ratings present in StarFox and can be crafted to hark to some of the arcade nature. It creates a shift for the title in particular but not nearly one so drastic as many suggestions.

I agree that they should have something for Star Fox before the end of the Switch's life if they intend to represent most of their major franchises on the platform. Whether that be a new game or remaster who knows.

If they do pick a remaster their options are limited due to the mixed reception to the franchise. Star Fox Zero is basically an impossible game to port in its current form from Wii U, and even if they put in the time to work around it, it probably wouldn't be worth it due to the bad reputation of that game.

Star Fox 64 is the most beloved entry but Nintendo already had a high profile remake of that game on 3DS during its launch year in addition to now being on N64 NSO. I know people could point to Xenoblade 1 but the reach of that game was far more limited due to being New 3DS Exclusive as well as a pretty obscure title in the west on Wii.

So if they did pick a remaster I think the most likely option would be either Star Fox Adventures or Star Fox Assault from the Gamecube, or possibly together as a double pack. Those games do have their fans, but they also have their detractors and don't carry a high reputation like Star Fox 64.

In that sense a new game may be their best option even if it isn't ready in time for the Switch's lifecycle. I think Star Fox has a pretty bad reputation for quality amongst the Nintendo IP and if Nintendo wants this franchise to continue and grow a bigger audience they need to address Star Fox's lack of quality control, so maybe re-releasing titles with less than stellar reception is counter intuitive there. (Even though I have never played Adventures and would immediately buy a remaster of it)
Really good post. Perhaps this year they could do a remake of Assault, or at least a remaster that fixes issues people had with it - spruce up the graphics and add online multiplayer. Get people caught up to speed, especially since many aren’t familiar with it. Then, they could do a sequel or new game for the Switch Succesor to establish a story going forward. If Metroid and Devil May Cry can do sequels a decade or more later, after remakes/remasters, Star Fox could too.

Last edited:
I don't know if we'll actually get anything Star Fox this year, but a something good from that would certainly be welcome.

One possibility that has occurred to me off and on is a sort of remake collection, taking at least Star Fox/64 and Star Fox II and fashioning them into a cohesive narrative -- finding themes and character arcs to strengthen and such, establishing the different (especially those lesser known) characters, and so forth, as the gameplay transitions from the classic style to something more akin to II's, with a few side missions (including Guard) and vignettes that can further flesh out the world and characters.

The idea had started as a thought of fashioning more the whole narrative thus far into one package so it can all be cemented and fresh as the series moves forward, but that gets a bit more complicated at this point, given Adventures and Assault and their disparate approaches to the on-foot element they both have. Theoretically, they could be matched up, but they already worked differently enough that seems unlikely.

As it is, a straight up collection of games seems much more likely; it doesn't offer the prospective benefits but also doesn't hold the same challenges (I'd also prefer the original games be included in the remake option for preservation purposes, but that seems also highly unlikely).

As for a new title, I wouldn't even be necessarily be surprised if one took a more character action route. Such games often have elements like the results screen, which holds similarity to the stage ratings present in StarFox and can be crafted to hark to some of the arcade nature. It creates a shift for the title in particular but not nearly one so drastic as many suggestions.
A remake of 64/Adventures/Assault, merging them together into one long narrative (maybe even in an episodic manner like Miyamoto originally wanted to do with Zero) and bridging the gameplay styles and various plots together would be really fascinating. If Monolithsoft can make 100+ hour RPGs, then surely Nintendo could find somebody to make a 30 hour Star Fox remake opus. I honestly really like this idea, but it would be tricky (heh) to pull off.

Even though the two SNES games and SF64 are already on NSO, they have such small file sizes they could easily be included as bonus games (maybe even hidden or unlockable ones) on a collection cartridge. I could see a collection of 64 3D/Adventues/Assault branded as a trilogy, like the Lylat Wars Collection or something. Remasters of the three games with touch ups and online play would be enticing, especially if the three NSO games are also included (you know, in case Nintendo ever terminates their online service, not that they've ever done that before, lol). Would be ironic if we got a Star Fox remaster trilogy instead of the Metroid Prime remaster trilogy.

But speaking of Metroid, and how Prime reportedly is now a standalone release, I bet that Nintendo would see a collection of three Star Fox games as devaluing them, and they're more likely to sell each GCN title at full price, with bells and whistles. They may avoid 643D because Zero being yet another retread is still fresh in people's minds. Still, the time is perfect for GCN re-releases in some form, and that could be used as a refresher before doing a wholly new title.

What's in store for Star Fox in 2023?

200w.gif

But in a few more years they'll make the same rail-shooter again with marginal differences and gimmicks and wonder why its success is so limited.

And I'll be one of the 10 people who buys it and loves the shit out of it.

Series like Star Fox and Punch-Out could have a home on the eShop if Nintendo was comfortable putting out arcade-style, smaller games for 30 dollars or so, but Nintendo will never actively devalue their own IP like that.

I'm sure one will be happening eventually, especially as Miyamoto is so fond of the series and all Nintendo IPs have been getting a Switch boost so StarFox Zero's lukewarm (putting that mildly) reception won't have too much of a lingering effect. It'll just depend on development resources and whether Nintendo can find a suitable team for it.

A high end StarFox could do wonders for promoting the power of Switch 2 so I doubt we'll get one before that launches. Maybe a port of Assault could be a good option in the meantime, if Nintendo do go as port/remaster happy as rumours say they are.

A remake of 64/Adventures/Assault, merging them together into one long narrative (maybe even in an episodic manner like Miyamoto originally wanted to do with Zero) and bridging the gameplay styles and various plots together would be really fascinating. If Monolithsoft can make 100+ hour RPGs, then surely Nintendo could find somebody to make a 30 hour Star Fox remake opus. I honestly really like this idea, but it would be tricky (heh) to pull off.

Even though the two SNES games and SF64 are already on NSO, they have such small file sizes they could easily be included as bonus games (maybe even hidden or unlockable ones) on a collection cartridge. I could see a collection of 64 3D/Adventues/Assault branded as a trilogy, like the Lylat Wars Collection or something. Remasters of the three games with touch ups and online play would be enticing, especially if the three NSO games are also included (you know, in case Nintendo ever terminates their online service, not that they've ever done that before, lol). Would be ironic if we got a Star Fox remaster trilogy instead of the Metroid Prime remaster trilogy.

But speaking of Metroid, and how Prime reportedly is now a standalone release, I bet that Nintendo would see a collection of three Star Fox games as devaluing them, and they're more likely to sell each GCN title at full price, with bells and whistles. They may avoid 643D because Zero being yet another retread is still fresh in people's minds. Still, the time is perfect for GCN re-releases in some form, and that could be used as a refresher before doing a wholly new title.
no star fox game on the gc has the value of prime. It would be like selling prime 2 and 3 standalone, it wouldn't work. hell 64 itself barely sold and that is the most popular game of the series.

I think there's potential in continuing to develop the connection between Star Fox and Steep Diver. Don't know what the latter would look like with a single screen though

I think there's potential in continuing to develop the connection between Star Fox and Steep Diver. Don't know what the latter would look like with a single screen though
the most logical connection would be to incorporate Steel Diver's gameplay into Star Fox. I don't think there are any water sections in the series, so that would be a good place to start

the most logical connection would be to incorporate Steel Diver's gameplay into Star Fox. I don't think there are any water sections in the series, so that would be a good place to start
There is one! The Blue Marine, which shows up in Sub Wars along with Peppy 😎

While I definitely want to believe that Nintendo is prototyping ideas for the series I doubt it's a high priority for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't materialize for a while and the next time we see something new for the IP is in a VR ride or future hardware with VR capability. With Imamura gone and Miyamoto busy with other stuff, it feels like there's few people left at Nintendo interested in bringing the IP back in the first place. Maybe Cuthbert and Q-Games would be up for a new game.

Back
Top Bottom