• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Eighting / Nintendo History:

Developed Kuru Kuru Kurin for Nintendo on GBA
Developed Kururin Paradise for Nintendo on GBA
Developed Kururin Squash for Nintendo on GameCube
Developed Eyeshield 21: Devilbats for Nintendo on GBA
Developed Eyeshield 21: Max Devil Power for Nintendo on NDS
Developed Masters of Illusion for Nintendo on NDS
Developed Masters of Illusion Express for Nintendo on DSi

Assisted Mini-Game development Animal Crossing: Welcome to Amiibo for Nintendo on 3DS
Ported and added new content for Pikmin 3DX for Nintendo on Switch
Assisted Mini-Game development Kirby Star Allies for Nintendo/HAL on Switch
Co-development of Pikmin 4 for Nintendo on Switch

if the owners of Camelot wanted to sell, I think Nintendo would buy them. unlike others like Cing and Alpha Dream, Camelot actually provides something of value

they have so few people but can do visuals like this? yea they needed a lot of outsourcing, but that just shows they have great management abilities

Mario-Golf-Super-Rush.jpg

Savage_Sea_Court.jpeg

if the owners of Camelot wanted to sell, I think Nintendo would buy them. unlike others like Cing and Alpha Dream, Camelot actually provides something of value

they have so few people but can do visuals like this? yea they needed a lot of outsourcing, but that just shows they have great management abilities
Not only visuals, they are the dedicated Mario Sports team that have decent sales. Tennis (4.3 mill) and Golf (2.3 mill)

I think the likeliest scenario for Camelot is what happened with SRD: the current owners retire and sell up to Nintendo.

It's not a totally new thing before EAD was formed (1990) games were usually designed internally but programmed by partners such as SRD, HAL and Intelligent Systems. F-Zero was allegedly the first internally coded title.

Yeah, SRD, Hal, and IntSys (and TOSE and PAX Softnica) were effectively the co-developer of early Nintendo titles.

From this interview with Iwata (then president of HAL), we know the various programming companies had a lot of freedom.

Back then, programmers had a lot of discretion. The concept of “director” didn’t really exist yet, and planning/spec docs were likewise fairly crude and vague. The programmer himself would make a lot of decisions about the content, making guesses about how players would react to such-and-such idea. Then we’d show what we had made to Nintendo, who would give their advice, and we would go back and revise it. Most of our developments followed that pattern.

[Nintendo] would send a very general outline, along with some concept art. Then we’d make the more detailed decisions on how to bring that to life in the game. For something like Pinball, for instance, we’d decide how the ball moved, how the flipper response should feel, all those little details. Pinball was actually really well-made: in fact, it was so well done that the recently released Pokemon Pinball game uses the same basic engine!

F-1 race was also a huge challenge in a different sense. It was the first game to use raster scrolling on the Famicom, a technique that many other companies would start using after. We had to program it ourselves; raster scrolling was not an innate feature of the Famicom hardware.

It's not a totally new thing before EAD was formed (1990) games were usually designed internally but programmed by partners such as SRD, HAL and Intelligent Systems. F-Zero was allegedly the first internally coded title.

R&D2 programmed their Famicom titles. They were just very simple games (Sports, Mahjong, Clu Clu Land). R&D1 also at least programmed Tetris and Dr. Mario on the NES. It wasn't until the Game Boy and SNES that Nintendo's internal programmers were doing things better than their contracted programmers.

I think the likeliest scenario for Camelot is what happened with SRD: the current owners retire and sell up to Nintendo.

IS and HAL are the only other companies I see that happening to someday.

Last edited:
Yeah, Camelot, HAL, and IntSys are already de-facto Nintendo teams, just like SRD and Next Level before the buyout.

Nintendo will acquire them if the owners want to retire / sell, otherwise, they are fine with the current status quo. They aren't going anywhere.

So, something I noticed is.. monolith kyoto didn't help with Pikmin 4 unlike what happened with Pikmin 3. Unless I missed something, I didnt find credits for them

So, something I noticed is.. monolith kyoto didn't help with Pikmin 4 unlike what happened with Pikmin 3. Unless I missed something, I didnt find credits for them
You think they might be working on their own original project for once? Or do you think they’re working on Side Order?

Actually, for that matter, did Monolith Kyoto help out at all with Tears of the Kingdom? Or was that all Monolith Tokyo PG2?

You think they might be working on their own original project for once? Or do you think they’re working on Side Order?

Actually, for that matter, did Monolith Kyoto help out at all with Tears of the Kingdom? Or was that all Monolith Tokyo PG2?
Monolith Kyoto needs to hire programmers for their own game first since they're all artists.

they might be helping for splatoon 3 dlc yeah, or a monolith future project. it seems pikmin 3 was their only contribution to the series unlike AC and Splatoon where they have been invovled in grahpics and art for a decade

Does this anyone feel like Mario & Sonic 2024 should be revealed in July 2023 or it just needs to wait for another year.
They already skipped M&S game for the last winter olympics, they might just skip it again if there are exclusivity contracts in place like the last time.

They already skipped M&S game for the last winter olympics, they might just skip it again if there are exclusivity contracts in place like the last time.

The winter olympics passed already; Beijing 2022; could've been a nice celebration of the first Mario & Sonic being for Beijing 2008 but oh well. We're talking about Paris 2024, but there's reason to believe Sega are dropping the Mario side so they can go multiplatform with Sonic, so I wouldn't count on Mario & Sonic returning in that form.

Ko Takauchi is also still on as Character designer. And the copyrights for the recent games still say "Co-Developed by Intelligent Systems". So Nintendo still likely does a lot of pre-production and direction in-house even without nearly as much staff on their end.
Ko Takeuchi is freelance for like 7-8 years now. You should review the credits for these games as WarioWare Gold and Get It Together literally only has Goro Abe as a core developer. Every other Nintendo person credited is under localization or production. There's some non-IS developers but, they are from outsourced companies (and mostly moved to the Development Support section). In the earlier WarioWares, the SPD staff were the start of each sections (similar to credits for other Nintendo games like TotK)

Monolith Kyoto did help TotK. Haven't gone through the credits that deeply but, Nintendo Wiki has a couple pages on some Monolith Kyoto staff credited in the game

Ko Takeuchi is freelance for like 7-8 years now. You should review the credits for these games as WarioWare Gold and Get It Together literally only has Goro Abe as a core developer. Every other Nintendo person credited is under localization or production.

I'm not sure we can confirm Takeuchi is freelance. His illustration company KOKOSAC, that does freelance cartoons, has operated for many years while he still worked at Nintendo. His personal bio also doesn't mention him leaving the company.

I regret deleting my Resetera account because I'd love to go back and see what I wrote back when we found out about Eighting's involvement with Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

Ko Takeuchi is freelance for like 7-8 years now. You should review the credits for these games as WarioWare Gold and Get It Together literally only has Goro Abe as a core developer. Every other Nintendo person credited is under localization or production. There's some non-IS developers but, they are from outsourced companies (and mostly moved to the Development Support section). In the earlier WarioWares, the SPD staff were the start of each sections (similar to credits for other Nintendo games like TotK)

Monolith Kyoto did help TotK. Haven't gone through the credits that deeply but, Nintendo Wiki has a couple pages on some Monolith Kyoto staff credited in the game
just as a doubt for me to look better to credits in the future but what do we consider to be a core developer? something like director, producer, lead programmer, lead scenario and something of the like?

I wonder if Nintendo will release physical versions of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet with their DLC on cart like they did with SwSh

Jez San is a genius still. Just imagine (if you remember) starglider in VR!
I have a thought that after seeing Jez more and more in news lately he may well help achieving VR to be fun! Something that is a essential element on Nintendo re booting their interest in VR!
I think that Switch 2 is going to be a lot more than just better joycons and power.
They always innovate and make the industry sit up and acknowledge them as truely visionaries.

I wonder what happened to EPD1, i just saw that yokota was shown as epd2 on engage interview. If some staff merged to epd2, i wonder what happened to epd1. I wonder what interview we'll see next to know what epd1 is working on, because if nintendo is calling epd2, it means epd1 still is a thing

MK for switch 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Definite Edition for Switch sucessor( all DLC for the original Wii U release and the Booster Pack combanied), Mario Kart 8 will be Nintendo GTA 5, released for 3 consoles consectuctives generations, until we have a true Mario Kart 9/10, what Nintendo can do to surpass Mario Kart 8?

just as a doubt for me to look better to credits in the future but what do we consider to be a core developer? something like director, producer, lead programmer, lead scenario and something of the like?
Of those, I count all of those as core developers but producer. Occasionally the production staff does do some level of core development but, typically, they are listed as assistant director or co-director instead of producer or coordinator. Noncore developers also include debug/testing, localization and Business/PR.

Nintendo Systems are now hiring, if anyone was still unsure of what they'd be managing. OS work (system applications and services), dev tools (SDK for mobile apps, development environment for hardware), net services (websites, payment systems, game servers), etc.

I wonder what happened to EPD1, i just saw that yokota was shown as epd2 on engage interview. If some staff merged to epd2, i wonder what happened to epd1. I wonder what interview we'll see next to know what epd1 is working on, because if nintendo is calling epd2, it means epd1 still is a thing
we had a whole multi-page discussion about this a few months back here. a theory is that epd1 is/has been restructured into something different with all the external collabs now collected under epd2 instead of being spread betweeen then. that may be what yamagami is up to there since he's been MIA for the longest time and yokota is now a producer in the other group.

Any particular reason why the company headcount grew so much in the latest fiscal year? Annual report shows an increase of 600, from 6717 to 7317 employees.

For context, the rate of increase per year across 2019 to 2022 was usually between 200 to 300.

Edit - is this the cash injection into internal development beginning to show?

Nintendo Systems are now hiring, if anyone was still unsure of what they'd be managing. OS work (system applications and services), dev tools (SDK for mobile apps, development environment for hardware), net services (websites, payment systems, game servers), etc.

Drake confirmed to still be in early development! Everyone was blown the fuck out!

100% expect a definitive kart 8 at Redraketed launch, then at least 9 months before a new kart is released. Easy double dip money. They'd be crazy not to.
They won't do that and I don't remember Nintendo screwing people like that.

Any particular reason why the company headcount grew so much in the latest fiscal year? Annual report shows an increase of 600, from 6717 to 7317 employees.

For context, the rate of increase per year across 2019 to 2022 was usually between 200 to 300.

problaby is Nintendo increase it internal development team and subsidiaries in order for them, to prepare them for the launch of they next-generation hardware, (if rumor the come true Nintendo will start working on games with PS4 level visual and they will surely will need a significant amount of resources/developers to work on they next hardware)

Note that Nintendo Systems has 230 employees and Nintendo Pictures 105 (as of October 2022). 335 people have entered Nintendo through there

Sadly I am not a betting man. I have little I want, and less still to give up.
This is the most incredible sentence I have ever read.

Something about this pricks my ears up. Maybe DeNA is just Nintendo's cloud services partner, effectively, and the system applications side is just integration there. But it feels like Nintendo is due to try AR in the main console again, and Nintendo Systems may also function as a holding company for patents/technology in common between Ninty and DeNA.

Note that Nintendo Systems has 230 employees and Nintendo Pictures 105 (as of October 2022). 335 people have entered Nintendo through there
Nintendo Systems is a joint company with DeNA. Do Nintendo Systems employees count toward the total for the purposes of these reports? Genuinely asking.

Nintendo Systems is a joint company with DeNA. Do Nintendo Systems employees count toward the total for the purposes of these reports? Genuinely asking.
Nintendo Systems is effectively a Nintendo company (80/20 split), so they'll probably be listed as Nintendo employees

100% expect a definitive kart 8 at Redraketed launch, then at least 9 months before a new kart is released. Easy double dip money. They'd be crazy not to.
this is an incredibly un-nintendo thing to do and very very easy to 100% bet against if you've been paying attention at all to how they do things. they never ever do these "they'd be crazy not to" type of things. video game history is littered with the starved corpses outlined in salt of industry professionals and fans alike who saw the obvious very low hanging fruit and grasped nothing but air.

Having a Drake version of MK8 release less than a year before a new title is a great way for them to take sales away from each other, lol.

this is an incredibly un-nintendo thing to do and very very easy to 100% bet against if you've been paying attention at all to how they do things. they never ever do these "they'd be crazy not to" type of things. video game history is littered with the starved corpses outlined in salt of industry professionals and fans alike who saw the obvious very low hanging fruit and grasped nothing but air.
First party thread?

More like first poetry thread am I right

I 100% adore the the turn to the figurative in this thread

What does a Switch 2 version of MK8 even look like.

There's no chance they go through and redo all of the assets for MK8, there's just way too much content.
MK8D in a Drake box. that's it. I don't even think they'll do it. just update the Switch box to say it's compatible with Drake

Back
Top Bottom