• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

This is genuinely one of the worst video game commercials I have ever seen in my life.

This trailer is so terrible that it morphs into its own artform. It's also the commercial that convinced me that the people who use child actors in their advertisements should be publicly humiliated.

I think Nintendo realized this given the majority of their new trailers, including the one released this month, usually have kids (if they have them at all) in very minor roles with the majority of talking done by adults. Otherwise it's teens or young adults.

Hey, everyone! Didn't wanna leave you hanging for the entire month, so here I am.

You'll remember that the info I had back during the Switch 2 delay week was that we'd have a Direct in April and an Indie World presentation prior to that. I had those talks a couple of days after the Switch 2 discussions, but I now believe that the event info itself was already outdated at that point.

I no longer believe we'll get a Direct this month.

Apart from one person, who heard some rumblings two weeks ago, no one else seems to have heard anything about an April Direct since then - which they probably would've, at this point. One source in particular, that had talked about an April Direct before, is now expecting the next one to happen around the obvious SGF timeframe - so late May/early June. (Edit: Maybe even this is wrong! But we will get PlayStation/Xbox events in that timeframe, at least.)

The Indie World seems to have been planned to be aired pre-GDC, but I guess all of those plans went out the window immediately as well.

Anyway - that's it: the beauty of talking about planned event dates months in advance, haha. I'll catch flak for this, and that's alright, but hopefully that helps people settle back and enjoy the games coming out instead of getting anxious over more announcements for a while.

Edit: Also, obligatory apologies to anyone who was really looking forward to this due to my earlier info. I've said this before, but I only said anything because I was on cloud nine that week... and I probably should've restrained myself, haha.

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! Didn't wanna leave you hanging for the entire month, so here I am.

You'll remember that the info I had back during the Switch 2 delay week was that we'd have a Direct in April and an Indie World presentation prior to that. I had those talks a couple of days after the Switch 2 discussions, but I now believe that the event info itself was already outdated at that point.

Apart from one person, who heard some rumblings two weeks ago, no one else seems to have heard anything about an April Direct since then - which they probably would've, at this point. One source in particular, that had talked about an April Direct before, is now expecting the next one to happen around the obvious SGF timeframe - so late May/early June.

The Indie World seems to have been planned to be aired pre-GDC, but I guess all of those plans went out the window immediately as well.

Anyway - that's it: the beauty of talking about planned event dates months in advance, haha. I'll catch flak for this, and that's alright, but hopefully that helps people settle back and enjoy the games coming out instead of getting anxious over more announcements for a while.

Edit: Also, obligatory apologies to anyone who was really looking forward to this due to my earlier info. I've said this before, but I only said anything because I was on cloud nine that week... and I probably should've restrained myself, haha.
Nah, it's all chill dude.

I think the times are so strange that basically any and all sources of information have turned into an ever-twisted bridge that are going to be broken at the sudden change of plans from Nintendo. Frankly, staying quiet until anything is actually concrete is a perfectly valid thing to do.

I appreciate your input, even if nothing came to fruition. Que Sera, Sera.

hopefully that helps people settle back and enjoy the games coming out instead of getting anxious over more announcements for a while.
The games that are about to be released will unfortunately provide very little entertainment, but it's not your fault 😅

Apart from one person, who heard some rumblings two weeks ago, no one else seems to have heard anything about an April Direct since then - which they probably would've, at this point. One source in particular, that had talked about an April Direct before, is now expecting the next one to happen around the obvious SGF timeframe - so late May/early June.

Thanks so much for stopping in amid the chaos and shitposts, friend. Honestly, at this point I'm fine with the wait. I have plenty of games to play and work to do, both for the film studio I work at and for my own physical and mental health. The main bummer here is TTYD not getting its due through Direct showcases, but onward to June!

The prophet said April Direct
The prophet's gone, but we're still here
The prophecy was insincere
I hope you let it go

If they're waiting until June for the next direct, they might not have any major retail releases for July. This is surprising since they don't usually skip July, but it might work out that way this time.

I'm really feeling the impact of them skipping the regular February direct right now. It just feels like there's nothing to talk about.

Reading this I now firmly believe that June will NOT see the Switch 2 presentation, since they'll have to detail the Switch's 2H of the year schedule.

We might get info in September, but they might as well just show more Switch games and a few games for early 2025 and wait all the way to October to do a Switch 2 teaser, then make us wait until January for a proper presentation and after that they could start showing game trailers... that is assuming it releases before this FY ends.

We will probably know if it will release this FY before or on May 7, since they have their Annual Financial Release that date and they will have to update their shareholders on their projections and unless they just release a couple hundreds of thousands consoles this FY, it'll have a large impact on their financials, thus they cannot really hide it in their projections (they also can't lie to their investors).

I don't want to doompost, but be aware that if by May 7 Nintendo doesn't acknowledge the successor to the Switch, that means they decided to release it next FY, which goes from April 2025 to March 2026. We are 4 weeks away from learning all this, so it won't take too long now.

If they're waiting until June for the next direct, they might not have any major retail releases for July. This is surprising since they don't usually skip July, but it might work out that way this time.

I'm really feeling the impact of them skipping the regular February direct right now. It just feels like there's nothing to talk about.
Yeah, if I didn't have a sizable backlog, I'd be in the trenches right now I can't lie

And there's not much to discuss about the games coming out either as both LM2 and Paper Mario are known quantities as they are remakes/remasters.

I have no problem with a Direct in June. I'm more interested in knowing "what" than "when".

On the other hand, the timing of the next console's release could start to worry me if we don't get any information at the next financial meeting.

we appreciate the transparency king, keep doing you.

Obrigado 🖤

The update is much appreciated - I hope you’re not attacked over any of this.

We all have to just believe in June at this point. It’s that, or… well, who knows if not then.

appreciate the honesty and being upfront

Appreciate the update

tbh waiting til the usual E3/SGF timeframe doesn't even seem that bad right now; esp. if there isn't that "it could drop at any time" anticipation factor in the meantime

Genuinely appreciate the openness here, thank you
I think most rational people will understand that things are never quite set in stone so hopefully you don't get any grief over it. Rumours are always meant to be taken with a grain of salt until they're officially confirmed

Honestly, the worst part about this whole thing is the fact that there's gonna be a 9-month gap between general Directs... 2020 aside, that's waaaaaaaay too big of a gap lol.

Now the big question is if they will announce that a new HW is coming this FY in next investors meetings or not lol.

Otherwise, a Direct by mid June to announce the rest of their FY lineup is possible. That also means thats its very likely July game is another gamecube/wii remaster (prime 2/3 finally?).

Then Switch 2 event at September.

This is getting 2016 vibes lol.

Apart from one person, who heard some rumblings two weeks ago, no one else seems to have heard anything about an April Direct since then - which they probably would've, at this point. One source in particular, that had talked about an April Direct before, is now expecting the next one to happen around the obvious SGF timeframe - so late May/early June. (Edit: Maybe even this is wrong! But we will get PlayStation/Xbox events in that timeframe, at least.)

Thank you!

I wonder what this means for the Switch 2 reveal

On one hand, June will be here before we know it.

On the other hand, the very quick passage of time really depresses me.

It's a double-edged sword.

The (lack of) next hardware announcement at the Investitor's meeting should create some discussion.
So there is at least that to look forward to.

I’d like to both give commiserations to Team April (you believed in what you believed in, even if it turned out to be wrong), and also to say HELL YEAH GIVE IT UP FOR TEAM JUNE

No need to apologize at all, thanks for the heads up! Full speed ahead to June

Thanks for always keeping us up to date on what you know!! I know you put a lot on the line when you mention things you're hearing so, even if the information is old, I'm glad we knew about it and, again, extremely thankful to you for relaying it to us and the updates over the last little while!! I figured that with how quickly things can change and the next console being moved around release wise, they probably did need to change things around and an April Direct (Mini or General) was probably planned following the official acknowledgement of the next console to layout the rest of the year while Nintendo began to move towards marketing of next generation! Now that it's not in the year, they probably need to spread out everything more (and maybe release an extra game or two)! Hopefully this means we have an even cooler show in June than we were expecting for this month!! :)

Here's to more speculation and discussion since, unless Nintendo really does surprise us with a May Direct, we pretty much know a June one is on the way now!! :D

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true yet! They have shown that they are willing to hold announcements (though fairly small ones like Everybody's 1-2 Switch) until the month they are releasing! It probably does mean July isn't the Fire Emblem 4 Remake but it could be something small that they have been sitting on for a while!

Thank you for keeping us updated. Even if this isn’t the news I wanted to hear, it’s better (to me) than being left in the dark.

None of this is ‘normal’ for Nintendo, so I’m sure those original claims of timeframes were true at one point, but everything has been shifted around since.

I can’t imagine not getting a Direct in June (or May) if all we’ve had so far is a partner showcase.

My guess is Nintendo aint gonna say shit about Switch 2 until they reveal it in October like they did for Switch 1
We'll have a mid/late June Direct that'll show what happening for the rest of the year

Back
Top Bottom