• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

June - Direct, Metroid Prime 1+2 shadowdrop
July - Metroid 1+2 physical
August - WWHD + TPHD
September - Fire Emblem remake
October - Metroid Prime 4, NDCube game?
November - New Donkey Kong?
I refuse to make any predictions that don't include either Starfox Assault or Kid Icarus Uprising. Otherwise, if they release the Zelda remasters, it won't be in August in my opinion. For the rest, I can see something like this.

I refuse to make any predictions that don't include either Starfox Assault or Kid Icarus Uprising. Otherwise, if they release the Zelda remasters, it won't be in August in my opinion. For the rest, I can see something like this.
Maybe Kid Icarus in August and Zeldas in November, no DK

They will say sth like 'Nintendo is always looking into new technologies and developing hardware concepts for the future' and then you won't hear anything about new hardware from them in this calender year.

No need for them to sabotage their holiday sales.

Last edited:
hopefully that helps people settle back and enjoy the games coming out instead of getting anxious over more announcements for a while.
Wait, there are games coming out? I though games existed to be shown in directs and nothing else

August - WWHD + TPHD
That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking except I have no idea about NDCube

We got only 2 full weeks left of April for a Nintendo Direct to happen
b9b0845406834eb4ea37e78dc79f194b2ec7cf24_full.jpg

July - Fire Emblem 4 remake
August - Starfox Assault HD
September - WWHD/TPHD
October - Metroid Prime 4
November - EPDK

Honestly, for an "empty" year, it would still be nice.

If not, there is indeed the pessimistic version:

September - WWHD/TPHD
October - Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
November - Metroid Prime 4

September - WWHD/TPHD
November - EPDK

September - WWHD/TPHD
I think it would be a 2+3 Shadow drop because the Prime 1 Remaster is already on Switch but that would be so dope. I really would love to play through wwhd and tphd again right now

Hey, everyone! Didn't wanna leave you hanging for the entire month, so here I am.

You'll remember that the info I had back during the Switch 2 delay week was that we'd have a Direct in April and an Indie World presentation prior to that. I had those talks a couple of days after the Switch 2 discussions, but I now believe that the event info itself was already outdated at that point.

I no longer believe we'll get a Direct this month.

Apart from one person, who heard some rumblings two weeks ago, no one else seems to have heard anything about an April Direct since then - which they probably would've, at this point. One source in particular, that had talked about an April Direct before, is now expecting the next one to happen around the obvious SGF timeframe - so late May/early June. (Edit: Maybe even this is wrong! But we will get PlayStation/Xbox events in that timeframe, at least.)

The Indie World seems to have been planned to be aired pre-GDC, but I guess all of those plans went out the window immediately as well.

Anyway - that's it: the beauty of talking about planned event dates months in advance, haha. I'll catch flak for this, and that's alright, but hopefully that helps people settle back and enjoy the games coming out instead of getting anxious over more announcements for a while.

Edit: Also, obligatory apologies to anyone who was really looking forward to this due to my earlier info. I've said this before, but I only said anything because I was on cloud nine that week... and I probably should've restrained myself, haha.

good to know

Last edited:
September - WWHD/TPHD
November - EPDK

September - WWHD/TPHD
I like that even the pessimistic one has prime 4 this year even thought at this point that seems optimistic

Hey, everyone! Didn't wanna leave you hanging for the entire month, so here I am.

You'll remember that the info I had back during the Switch 2 delay week was that we'd have a Direct in April and an Indie World presentation prior to that. I had those talks a couple of days after the Switch 2 discussions, but I now believe that the event info itself was already outdated at that point.

Apart from one person, who heard some rumblings two weeks ago, no one else seems to have heard anything about an April Direct since then - which they probably would've, at this point. One source in particular, that had talked about an April Direct before, is now expecting the next one to happen around the obvious SGF timeframe - so late May/early June. (Edit: Maybe even this is wrong! But we will get PlayStation/Xbox events in that timeframe, at least.)

The Indie World seems to have been planned to be aired pre-GDC, but I guess all of those plans went out the window immediately as well.

Anyway - that's it: the beauty of talking about planned event dates months in advance, haha. I'll catch flak for this, and that's alright, but hopefully that helps people settle back and enjoy the games coming out instead of getting anxious over more announcements for a while.

Edit: Also, obligatory apologies to anyone who was really looking forward to this due to my earlier info. I've said this before, but I only said anything because I was on cloud nine that week... and I probably should've restrained myself, haha.
First of all, thank you for providing an update on the rumours you heard about shortly after the Direct Partner Showcase, the transparency is more than welcome.

Still, I also wanted to share my piece on the part of the rumblings about the Indie World, since you specified that you originally heard it was going to be aired before the GDC and then plans changed. Now, I want to immediately preface that yes, plans can indeed change and it is far from impossible for an event to be rescheduled to a different date; however, I have to admit I'm generally very doubtful of rumours stating that an event is happening in a set time frame and then an update comes about how that specific event is suddenly delayed by several weeks and then it actually doesn't happen at all. Under normal circumstances, that tells me that such an event never existed to begin with; and I prefaced by saying "normal circumstances" because I don't think there ever was any relationship between this Indie World presentation and the original rumour about the Switch 2 reveal in March, but I say this also by looking at what else happened in February and March.

Presumably, Nintendo set the release target of Switch 2 for Q1 2025 a bit before relaying the decision to their development partners, so before mid-February (maybe January? IIRC that's what Andy Robinson from VGC heard); still, in that timeframe, the plans for the Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase of February went ahead as expected. Or rather, almost as expected because they did get altered in the end but by something external to their control, Microsoft suddenly having to reply to the rumours about their next phase of their multiplatform push with a specific clarification about it. It wasn't Switch 2 that delayed the Partner Showcase by a few days, it was the Microsoft's podcast.

And neither the release dates for Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door or for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD changed: since it's clear that the plan was always for those dates to be announced on MAR10 Day, Nintendo had even more time to look into the situation and see if they needed to reshuffle things a little bit to cover some gaps caused by Switch 2 releasing in Q1 2025, but still they didn't.

Therefore, I don't think the Switch 2 release timing counts as "special circumstances" that could kind of explain events suddenly missing specific deadlines if not downright disappearing; other events went on just fine, so why would an Indie World set in the same month as the MAR10 Day video see such radical change of plans? That's why I believe that the pre-GDC Indie World was never a thing to begin with, events don't normally change plans to such a degree of being a month off their original dates or downright vanishing; probably the same fate happened to the part of your rumblings about the April Direct as well.

I want to conclude by saying that this isn't me calling you a fraud because you demonstrated in the recent past to be reliable enough with your rumours, you are not part of the group of self-styled rumour mongers who just whisper to people's ears what they want to hear or clout-chasers who use other sources' rumours to try and claim small pieces of Internet fame. After all, you broke the news about the Switch 2 releasing in early 2025 and you knew about the original date of the Partner Showcase of this February after all, it wasn't your fault. However, I definitely wonder about the sources that relayed to you about the March Indie World and the April Direct, to the point where I wanted to ask you (obviously, reply as much as you're able to) how connected these specific sources you heard from typically are and how reliable they've tended to be the other times you're gotten in contact with them. Again, it's just that I usually interpret hearing about events vanishing like this in thin air as a strong sign of very incorrect information coming from somewhere in the chain.

Me in 2023: I'd be surprised if Nintendo has a slow year next year. I think they'll want to carry some momentum into the next console cycle.

Nintendo in 2024:

Well, oof... It is pretty weird for Nintendo to not announce anything in this april other than maybe the Donkey Kong Country section in Super Nintendo World japan.
I really believe that Nintendo Directs in 2024 are following a similar pattern to how Nintendo directs are handled in 2023.
Anyways, I'm going to take a break on this thread until May 7th.

Look on the bright side, we’re already in April! In 2-3 months from now, we will have plenty of juicy news and leaks to spark discussion, and a new console is currently set to come out next year

Last edited:

5iot9h.png

That's it?

Loo on the bright side, we’re already in April! In 2-3 months from now, we will have plenty of juicy news and leaks to spark discussion, and a new console is currently set to come out next year
Financial meeting in a month.

Hope is not lost.

Contemplating throwing another gameshow into the mix to start May if we do indeed get nothing here in April. :unsure:
Might be time to fire up the ol' image editing software again.

Unless we get a shadowdropped trailer or a FE Direct very soon, then there's absolutely no way FE4R is the July game if we're not getting a Direct until June. I'm guessing September for this game. Could be kinda positioned/marketed as one of the Holiday game "appetizers" to the big Holiday game. I think this game may be FE's best shot to get a second Three Houses-tier game on the OG Switch(in terms of sales/popularity) or at least close to it, and perhaps even more critically acclaimed, so it'd make sense imo.

Sooo... Paper Mario marketing will once again be via Twitter? ;~;

We're always doomed here anyways :p
JHAHJAHJAHJAHJAHA

June it is, then.

Thanks, Brazil!
Love your optimism

Que Sera, Sera.
I've always been curious what this phrase means, and my primary language is Spanish 😬

they might not have any major retail releases for July.
Why wouldn't they? They have a whole month for marketing.

PM TTYD is pretty only getting promotion via Twitter

We might get info in September, but they might as well just show more Switch games and a few games for early 2025 and wait all the way to October to do a Switch 2 teaser, then make us wait until January for a proper presentation and after that they could start showing game trailers... that is assuming it releases before this FY ends.
Can totally see this happening.

We will probably know if it will release this FY before or on May 7, since they have their Annual Financial Release that date and they will have to update their shareholders on their projections and unless they just release a couple hundreds of thousands consoles this FY, it'll have a large impact on their financials, thus they cannot really hide it in their projections (they also can't lie to their investors).
Yep, they're somewhat backed into a corner. Unless they talk about any of the movies lol

I don't want to doompost, but be aware that if by May 7 Nintendo doesn't acknowledge the successor to the Switch, that means they decided to release it next FY, which goes from April 2025 to March 2026. We are 4 weeks away from learning all this, so it won't take too long now.
Although it wouldn't surprise me, if anything, the console could release in May. it'll see a release very close to the Fiscal Year's beginning

This is getting 2016 vibes lol.
Yeepp lol

so if the direct is gonna be in the usual e3/sgf time slot, are we gonna keep speculatin' here for 2 more months?
lol has this been the longest Direct speculation thread? hahahaha

so does this mean this will be the longest lasting Direct speculation thread?
You ninja'd me lol

August - WWHD + TPHD
Agree, except August will be just WWHD and August 2025 is TPHD :p

Whelp time to finish my backlogs and FF7 rebirth
Also this is how I feel like

ItsBeen84YearsMeme
They will say sth like 'Nintendo is always looking into new technologies and developing hardware concepts for the future' and then you won't hear anything about new hardware from them in this calender year.

No need for them to sabotage their holiday sales.
The only Holiday sales Nintendo should care about is software. The Switch is at a point where almost everyone that was interested in getting one already has it.

Jason Shreier on reporting about leaks and rumors. Might be worth a read for some of us.

Honestly a lot of what he says makes sense. It always goes back to what I have always told my self while looking at insider info. Always view this info responsibly. Don't assume everything you hear is 100% true. You also don't know how long it will take to show up even if it is true. Just look at how long the metroid games were rumored for before they actually showed up.

Nintendo did cut it pretty close with some of the release dates in the Partner Showcase, but if April is off the table (vibes are abysmal but I won’t rule it out just yet), I still think it will be sooner than later so May makes more sense than June to me as the third party schedule from July onwards is almost a wasteland. We got Trails Through Daybreak on July 5th which is going to rule and then virtually nothing. Fantasy Life isn’t until October 10th.

My big Nintendo question then is when will they finally discuss whatever is new in Paper Mario. We’re closing in on seven months since the Purple Toad tease and still nothing. Mario Vs DK was a late reveal for its fairly substantial new content and wasn’t advertised on the back of the box, so there’s still a wide range of possibilities here. We’re also closing in on Endless Ocean so that should get a big, perhaps final trailer soon which obviously competes for attention.

Curious how this will play out.

Jason Shreier on reporting about leaks and rumors. Might be worth a read for some of us.

Absolutely a worthwhile read. I think people forget that our favorite insiders are not journalists. They post incomplete info from limited sources all the time. Journalists go through way more to verify that info because it’s their job.

I'm actually more interested now that it sounds like info behind the scenes is turbulent. Was iffy info out there or did plans really change that drastically? Either possibility begs the question of why? Did 2witch really get delayed and it's now causing Nintendo to have a Panic at the disco? Are sources of inside info being caught and the leaks being stopped? Is this the real life? Or is this just a sea of orange-flavored carbonated beverage? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!!

The switch 2 delay through all their plans off. I’d imagine it takes time to come up with the new roadmap they want to follow after the delay.

First of all, thank you for providing an update on the rumours you heard about shortly after the Direct Partner Showcase, the transparency is more than welcome.

Still, I also wanted to share my piece on the part of the rumblings about the Indie World, since you specified that you originally heard it was going to be aired before the GDC and then plans changed. Now, I want to immediately preface that yes, plans can indeed change and it is far from impossible for an event to be rescheduled to a different date; however, I have to admit I'm generally very doubtful of rumours stating that an event is happening in a set time frame and then an update comes about how that specific event is suddenly delayed by several weeks and then it actually doesn't happen at all. Under normal circumstances, that tells me that such an event never existed to begin with; and I prefaced by saying "normal circumstances" because I don't think there ever was any relationship between this Indie World presentation and the original rumour about the Switch 2 reveal in March, but I say this also by looking at what else happened in February and March.

Presumably, Nintendo set the release target of Switch 2 for Q1 2025 a bit before relaying the decision to their development partners, so before mid-February (maybe January? IIRC that's what Andy Robinson from VGC heard); still, in that timeframe, the plans for the Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase of February went ahead as expected. Or rather, almost as expected because they did get altered in the end but by something external to their control, Microsoft suddenly having to reply to the rumours about their next phase of their multiplatform push with a specific clarification about it. It wasn't Switch 2 that delayed the Partner Showcase by a few days, it was the Microsoft's podcast.

And neither the release dates for Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door or for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD changed: since it's clear that the plan was always for those dates to be announced on MAR10 Day, Nintendo had even more time to look into the situation and see if they needed to reshuffle things a little bit to cover some gaps caused by Switch 2 releasing in Q1 2025, but still they didn't.

Therefore, I don't think the Switch 2 release timing counts as "special circumstances" that could kind of explain events suddenly missing specific deadlines if not downright disappearing; other events went on just fine, so why would an Indie World set in the same month as the MAR10 Day video see such radical change of plans? That's why I believe that the pre-GDC Indie World was never a thing to begin with, events don't normally change plans to such a degree of being a month off their original dates or downright vanishing; probably the same fate happened to the part of your rumblings about the April Direct as well.

I want to conclude by saying that this isn't me calling you a fraud because you demonstrated in the recent past to be reliable enough with your rumours, you are not part of the group of self-styled rumour mongers who just whisper to people's ears what they want to hear or clout-chasers who use other sources' rumours to try and claim small pieces of Internet fame. After all, you broke the news about the Switch 2 releasing in early 2025 and you knew about the original date of the Partner Showcase of this February after all, it wasn't your fault. However, I definitely wonder about the sources that relayed to you about the March Indie World and the April Direct, to the point where I wanted to ask you (obviously, reply as much as you're able to) how connected these specific sources you heard from typically are and how reliable they've tended to be the other times you're gotten in contact with them. Again, it's just that I usually interpret hearing about events vanishing like this in thin air as a strong sign of very incorrect information coming from somewhere in the chain.
Ah, that's alright. I probably would think the exact same if I was in your position. I still fully trust that source, though, but can't really say much more due to the risk of exposing them.

They were the only source I had for the Indie World info (which is why I only talked about it here, in fact, and didn't publish the info anywhere else - couldn't corroborate), but they were directly connected to it. No reason to believe they were lying.

Unless we get a shadowdropped trailer or a FE Direct very soon, then there's absolutely no way FE4R is the July game if we're not getting a Direct until June. I'm guessing September for this game. Could be kinda positioned/marketed as one of the Holiday game "appetizers" to the big Holiday game. I think this game may be FE's best shot to get a second Three Houses-tier game on the OG Switch(in terms of sales/popularity) or at least close to it, and perhaps even more critically acclaimed, so it'd make sense imo.

Three Houses has an 89 on Metacritic.

Ah, that's alright. I probably would think the exact same if I was in your position. I still fully trust that source, though, but can't really say much more due to the risk of exposing them.

They were the only source I had for the Indie World info (which is why I only talked about it here, in fact, and didn't publish the info anywhere else - couldn't corroborate), but they were directly connected to it. No reason to believe they were lying.
Quick question, with Nintendo being secretive and how quite it has been, can we expect the switch 2 announcement this summer, or would it be more plausible if they did the same thing with the switch and announce it in ocktober.

Lastly thank you for your honesty and great response and not leaving us at the dark for the remaining month, it's highly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom