• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

I dont like to gate keep a thread but are we letting this thread be open until June?
I would do anything to get off Mr. Bones wild ride 🙃 I only know peace when this thread is definitively in slumber.

That said I do understand a need to quarantine the insanity.

Since it seems a Nintendo Direct is now unlikely for this month, I'm gonna launch phase 2 immediately!

Thread-Carmen-Logo1-Stars.png

Time pilots! Carmen Sandiego just stole a Nintendo Direct from the future! You've got... roughly 31 days to get it back, or there will be no Direct anytime soon!
Initiate chrono skimmer launch sequence, boot up the chrono computer! Power up the engines! Extend the temporal sequencer!
Now,
GET GOING!!!

And now here's the time pilot squadron leader; EvilChameleon!

Welcome welcome one and all to phase two of the 8th Nintendo Direct Speculation thread! As you can see, Carmen Sandiego and her VILE henchmen have stolen the next Nintendo Direct! It's up to all of us to find out where she is and return it to its rightful place in time. Will that be May? Will that be June? Only with teamwork can we find out! I'll be asking a series of trivia questions all month long, starting on the 1st of May, and with any luck, we'll be able to narrow down a date and stop La Femme Rouge from ruining our Summer!

The kind of chronal whiplash this induced, reminding me of both the live action and cartoon shows from the early to mid 90s, nearly shattered the cervical spine in my neck.

As we wait for the next direct what new games(not remasters or remakes) could be announced? I feel we are all in conditioned right now to believe that this year is just remakes and remasters but I do believe that there will still be original games that are destined for Switch 1 this fall.

• Rhythm Heaven or Tomadatchi life as a lower budget game
  • Mario Party
  • 2D Donkey Kong Country
  • 2D Zelda
  • Metroid Prime 4 I am 50/50 on as this could be a dual release for next gen.

April Showers bring Endless Oceans

and what do Endless Oceans bring?

vibes of course

and I for one am soooo ready

Soon

giphy.gif

Since it seems a Nintendo Direct is now unlikely for this month, I'm gonna launch phase 2 immediately!

Thread-Carmen-Logo1-Stars.png

Time pilots! Carmen Sandiego just stole a Nintendo Direct from the future! You've got... roughly 31 days to get it back, or there will be no Direct anytime soon!
Initiate chrono skimmer launch sequence, boot up the chrono computer! Power up the engines! Extend the temporal sequencer!
Now,
GET GOING!!!

And now here's the time pilot squadron leader; EvilChameleon!

Welcome welcome one and all to phase two of the 8th Nintendo Direct Speculation thread! As you can see, Carmen Sandiego and her VILE henchmen have stolen the next Nintendo Direct! It's up to all of us to find out where she is and return it to its rightful place in time. Will that be May? Will that be June? Only with teamwork can we find out! I'll be asking a series of trivia questions all month long, starting on the 1st of May, and with any luck, we'll be able to narrow down a date and stop La Femme Rouge from ruining our Summer!

This is brilliant btw :ROFLMAO:

As we wait for the next direct what new games(not remasters or remakes) could be announced? I feel we are all in conditioned right now to believe that this year is just remakes and remasters but I do believe that there will still be original games that are destined for Switch 1 this fall.

• Mario Party
  • 2D Donkey Kong Country
  • 2D Zelda
  • Metroid Prime 4 I am 50/50 on as this could be a dual release for next gen
I think you pretty much nailed what I'd guess is potentially on the table in terms of new releases (not all of those will happen, obviously, but some of those definitely could)

I'd also say maybe something like a Mario Sports Mix, or maybe a small eshop title along the lines of a new Boxboy

I think you pretty much nailed what I'd guess is potentially on the table in terms of new releases (not all of those will happen, obviously, but some of those definitely could)

I'd also say maybe something like a Mario Sports Mix, or maybe a small eshop title along the lines of a new Boxboy
Yeah we would only be getting 1-3 out of this list. As most have speculated most of Nintendo's development resources will be going to Switch 2 games.

• Mario Party
  • 2D Donkey Kong Country
  • 2D Zelda
  • Metroid Prime 4 I am 50/50 on as this could be a dual release for next gen.
I'd say those are the titles that have a higher chance. Personally I'd guess at some of the following:

• something from EPD 4 and indieszero. My wildcard here is Art Academy, as another Touch Generations revival.
  • Mario sports something from Camelot and Bandai-Namco. The next sports/Camelot title is about due and Nintendo always have an October Mario franchise title. I'd guess we get a weird and not terribly good compilation game. While Mario Party is also 'due' and possible, it's such a huge seller and evergreen these days that I can't help but wonder if they save the next Mario Party for maximum long term sales on new hardware. That being said...
  • something from NdCube could easily be due and Party is the sensible option. It would be more interesting to see them handle an Animal Crossing spin off or a Fortune Street game, though.
  • a new eShop game from HAL. This is another option that feels about due and which wouldn't need to be held back.
  • Metroid Prime 4. I'm not convinced Nintendo will feel the need to 'save' this for new hardware.
  • 2D Zelda from Grezzo and EPD3. I've said earlier in this thread that I think this could potentially be a new game. 2D Zelda has also sometimes been a late life cycle game; Triforce Heroes and Spirit Tracks came 15 months or so before new hardware, while Minish Cap and the Oracles titles launched even closer to new hardware.
  • EPD 8's 2D game. I'm very much in the camp that thinks this could be Donkey Kong and, if so, it would be another plausible headliner for the Switch's last hurrah.

I'd say those are the titles that have a higher chance. Personally I'd guess at some of the following:

• something from EPD 4 and indieszero. My wildcard here is Art Academy, as another Touch Generations revival.
  • Mario sports something from Camelot and Bandai-Namco. The next sports/Camelot title is about due and Nintendo always have an October Mario franchise title. I'd guess we get a weird and not terribly good compilation game. While Mario Party is also 'due' and possible, it's such a huge seller and evergreen these days that I can't help but wonder if they save the next Mario Party for maximum long term sales on new hardware. That being said...
  • something from NdCube could easily be due and Party is the sensible option. It would be more interesting to see them handle an Animal Crossing spin off or a Fortune Street game, though.
  • a new eShop game from HAL. This is another option that feels about due and which wouldn't need to be held back.
  • Metroid Prime 4. I'm not convinced Nintendo will feel the need to 'save' this for new hardware.
  • 2D Zelda from Grezzo and EPD3. I've said earlier in this thread that I think this could potentially be a new game. 2D Zelda has also sometimes been a late life cycle game; Triforce Heroes and Spirit Tracks came 15 months or so before new hardware, while Minish Cap and the Oracles titles launched even closer to new hardware.
  • EPD 8's 2D game. I'm very much in the camp that thinks this could be Donkey Kong and, if so, it would be another plausible headliner for the Switch's last hurrah.
I think a Zelda remaster is more likely for this year with a new 2D entry being the Switch 2's first year Zelda.

With both Tennis and Golf out it would be a good time for a new Golden Sun from Camelot! They don't need to always be working on sports.

I think a Zelda remaster is more likely for this year with a new 2D entry being the Switch 2's first year Zelda.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only time a 2D Zelda was in the first year of a console's life was Link's Awakening DX, right? And that was just an enhanced version of a game.
2D Zelda has a much bigger history of being late releases, and Zelda remasters have a bigger history of being early releases.

With both Tennis and Golf out it would be a good time for a new Golden Sun from Camelot! They don't need to always be working on sports.
If Golden Sun returns, his last chance is now. In an interview more than 10 years ago, the president of Camelot said that they would return to Golden Sun before retirement.

Switch already has the two Mario sports (Tenis and Golf -even strickers-). And, within its 3-year development cycle, the next project should be this year, still on Switch, and the next, on Switch 2 in its second year of life. The second should be Mario Tennis again and should be the last game of the current Camelot before the retirement of its president.

The only place for Golden Sun is this year's draft. And Mario's gap can be covered by ND Cube with Mario Party.

Camelot is a pretty small team these days, only about 38 employees.

Not sure if they could take on a project like a new Golden Sun.

I dont like to gate keep a thread but are we letting this thread be open until June?
It's kind of interesting to think that this probably would've been around the time that the thread would've been opened for the June Direct anyways so I don't really think there's a reason to close it now :)

I also bet on EPD4 with Art Academy or Tomodachi Life 2, Metroid Prime 4, Mario (Party or Sports), new Zelda 2D (Grezzo) and, perhaps, Donkey Kong.

The DK - Zelda - Mario lineup seems like a good alternative to the absence of Pokemon

I'm not sure if anyone's talked about this but it is kind of sad that Nintendo doesn't seem like they want to or will do previews for Endless Ocean... it does kind of feel like they are throwing it out into the ocean to see if it can swim on it's own and I don't know, :(

I'm not sure if anyone's talked about this but it is kind of sad that Nintendo doesn't seem like they want to or will do previews for Endless Ocean... it does kind of feel like they are throwing it out into the ocean to see if it can swim on it's own and I don't know, :(
Endless Ocean getting the blue ocean strategy may not work, but it sure is poetic.

this will sound snide but I am genuinely feeling very grateful that I am at a point in my life where I don't need a Nintendo Direct every three months

I definitely feel some nostalgia for my youthful hype delirium but I am happy to report that getting old has some perks
This will be me after Metroid Prime 4. I’ll still follow gaming news but I feel I will be much more relaxed and go with the flow.

Unless Metroid Prime 4 sucks, but I highly doubt that.

This will be me after Metroid Prime 4. I’ll still follow gaming news but I feel I will be much more relaxed and go with the flow.

Unless Metroid Prime 4 sucks, but I highly doubt that.
Let's hope for your sake that Nintendo doesn't announce Metroid Prime 5 ten years from now with a logo png.

this will sound snide but I am genuinely feeling very grateful that I am at a point in my life where I don't need a Nintendo Direct every three months

I definitely feel some nostalgia for my youthful hype delirium but I am happy to report that getting old has some perks
I feel this. Though I do strongly miss the 2011-2014 glory days of getting a Direct near once a month. The era of Quarterly directs from 2015-2019 should be a minimum in my opinion. I think they always have the material, they just don't always announce kt the best way with the Twitter and social media drops now.

That or save the announcements for one or two BIG events every year, like how E3 used to operate. Do a E3 Presser in the Summer and Space World in the Winter for announcements/previews, then we'd really be cooking!

At this point I expect radio silence and wonky announcement schedules from Nintendo so I'm not fussed with waiting. But I do wish it was like the olden days with, either the big E3/Space World/TGS Pressers of the 2000s and the frequent Directs of the 2010s. Both were more hype

me 5 minutes before I start my daily dragon quest prayer

I'm on the same page but idk if that's me getting old or just the Switch getting old. I'm afraid of the hype delirium coming back with the next system

we closed the direct thread after a partner showcase and then opened a new one like three weeks later
Sincerely asking, do you think it woulda been better to have a six-month long Direcc Specc thread instead?

At the time I understood the reasoning for giving it a short break but now in hindsight I think it woulda been funny as hell to have Fami's Longest Direct Thread™ at the most unexpected time 😅

I'm there too. Sort of a weird transitional phase in my life right now and potentially about to get even more intense, so if Directs and big first-party games were hitting with Peak Switch Frequency I'd probably be 1. just growing my backlog ever bigger and 2. missing out on a lot of new stuff coming out (including maybe even the 2witch itself). As it stands I have just enough mental capacity to mess with some backlog games and shitpost. So it's actually weirdly good timing for me for Nintendo to chill the eff out this year.

I hope another crabs treasure is good because man things are looking bleak until TTYD (and then bleak after that)
Not for me, I'm eating really good on Switch until the end of may. SaGa, Eiyuden Chronicle, Little Kitty Big City, Lorelei, Megaton Musashi, El Shaddai, Animal Well and of course, Nepnep!!!

Actually, I'm skipping Paper Mario. Never been a fan of that uber cute artstyle. I'll go for Endless Ocean instead for first party game next month.

Just a silly idea I had last night due to discovering Symphony of War: Nephilim Saga over the weekend* and discovering Dark Deity is receiving a sequel for a release later this year.

May/June 2024 Direct aka the “TTRPG Direct” aka the "Make Use the Falchion the Happiest Person Ever...and Others Too I Guess" Direct.

Opening: Fire Emblem Genealogy Remake (August)

Minor Projects:
Moonstone Island (Out Now)
Symphony of War Fall 2024 Release (Will release in October)
Dark Deity 2 Fall 2024 Release (Will be shadowdropped in the September Direct)

Middle Reveals: Custom Robo revival (Spring 2025), Golden Sun revival (October) & Donkey Kong game (September),

Finale Reveal: Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Shadowdrop (June Game & October Game)

One More Thing: Metroid Prime 4 Release Date Drop (November or Spring 2025)

Zelda is missing, but I couldn't find a place to put it without it leaving the realm of believability. In my head, if Metroid Prime 4 is a 2025 game, then Zelda takes that November slot.
Golden Sun stretches the believability, but I like the perspective @pachamelon gives, and I think Nintendo is in a place to say "sure, why not?" in regard to reviving the franchise.

Metroid Prime 2 & 3 appear as the "June Game" due to being Shadowdropped and they'll share their physical release month because they technically would have been released by then. This will be the case even if the Direct is in May, because in that case, June would be the reveal of the Switch 2, so they'd want all of their promotional marketing to be on that. I like the idea of the physical copies of Metroid Prime 2 & 3 releasing a month before Metroid Prime 4, but I don't know if that's a solid strategy. It feels pretty fun though!

All-in-all, since this isn't too much different than the standard theorized Direct, I think there's a solid chance most of this happens. Although realistically, I think Dark Deity 2 won't have a trailer in this Direct, and Symphony of War would appear in the June Direct if at all. Custom Robo would absolutely be out, making it so that Golden Sun is the revived game...if there is one at all. I'm also not sure we'll get Donkey Kong, Metroid, and/or Zelda in the same Direct. We may get two of those, but I can't see all three. So pick and choose whichever is the one you like or think is most likely.

*I had heard of it before, but I didn't bother looking any closer until this year.

Y'all should also watch movies. I watched Everything Everywhere at Once with my boyfriend in the weekend. Very good movie. Same for both volumes of Kill Bill, and am wondering when Tarantino will release Kill Bill 2/Kill Bea/Volume 3

The era of Quarterly directs from 2015-2019 should be a minimum in my opinion. I think they always have the material
It's always going to be in accordance with their marketing strategy for upcoming releases, and not a specific quarterly, and their 2024 strategy clearly doesn't necessitate quarterly reveals.

They'll do something this summer, laying out the rest of the year, and likely early 2025, and it'll likely be very remaster and casual game heavy.

This will upset people on internet message boards and YouTube, but will be a successful way to end the Switch's run.

It's always going to be in accordance with their marketing strategy for upcoming releases, and not a specific quarterly, and their 2024 strategy clearly doesn't necessitate quarterly reveals.

They'll do something this summer, laying out the rest of the year, and likely early 2025, and it'll likely be very remaster and casual game heavy.

This will upset people on internet message boards and YouTube, but will be a successful way to end the Switch's run.
Are we sure? People said the same in 2022 and look how that turned out....

So we're waiting until June huh? 😭

Hope the wait is worth it tho. If 2021 and 2023 are anything to go by, then it's definitely gonna be. Metroid Prime 4 and Fire Emblem 4 remake would already be a win for me and I'd consider it one of the best ever just for MP4. But if we end up getting getting either of 2D Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario Party or a couple of 2025 games(cross gen) revealed, then that'd be GOAT material.

Nintendo might try to go for a june slot that is around the time we used to have E3, but I would not count on this. They can also very comfortably have a Direct in july, that does not overlap with all the news from other vendors and developers and iirc they have done so previously.

Back
Top Bottom