• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

I promised I wouldn't doom about Switch 2 anymore, but I made no such guarantee over the future of directs.

No general direct in June, partner shit in July and the only general Direct this year is in September during TGS 🙃 I speak the evil into this universe, so now either it will come true out of spite or I'm gonna be proven wrong in the next two months

I promised I wouldn't doom about Switch 2 anymore, but I made no such guarantee over the future of directs.

No general direct in June, partner shit in July and the only general Direct this year is in September during TGS 🙃 I speak the evil into this universe, so now either it will come true out of spite or I'm gonna be proven wrong in the next two months
Nah no need to go this doomy. There's a hard deadline before which we will get more first party news and in my opinion that's Luigi's Mansion 2hd release date. No way will they have an empty first party slate at any point, especially not if they can easily prevent it

Honestly…this is my logical pick when it comes to switch 2. June is a great month for a soft announcement but any major details will wait until September or later.

A direct mini or direct is likely in the cards for June though. Nintendo has enough stuff sitting on ice to drum up for 2nd half of 2024.

Nah no need to go this doomy. There's a hard deadline before which we will get more first party news and in my opinion that's Luigi's Mansion 2hd release date. No way will they have an empty first party slate at any point, especially not if they can easily prevent it
I sincerely hope so, but I'm already antsy over the fact they seem to be treating the news cycle as if it were peak Covid in 2020 and have nothing slated beyond June/July leaving us in the dark for three weeks.
It's no secret I don't have a lot of love for PMTOK, but at least it was an original title. Even if all they have left this year are remasters and ports, they're not gonna be getting the same big-name treatment as TTYD nor SMRPG every single month August through December, so why the hold up? It's just frustrating that it is impossible for Nintendo to actually have titles consistently dated in the future. Doesn't even have to be six months, even three months! What is accomplished by leaving your fanbase frustrated and in the dark? Admittedly rhetorical; frothing and feral and willing to buy your game day one. I accept that part, but I don't have to like the lack of respect being doled out.

Honestly…this is my logical pick when it comes to switch 2. June is a great month for a soft announcement but any major details will wait until September or later.

A direct mini or direct is likely in the cards for June though. Nintendo has enough stuff sitting on ice to drum up for 2nd half of 2024.
Hell, I'd be okay if there were a soft announcement of hardware in June, but even that doesn't seem like a guarantee. If they're gonna follow the same release marketing strategy as Switch 1, tease it in a September Direct, announce aggressive price cuts to make up for the drop in Switch sales, and concrete details early 2025 before release in the first third of the year.

At least it's still fulfilling my wish of not being a holiday release because I would hate nothing more than having to fight parents looking for gifts, but lord almighty I am willing and ready to move on to new hardware and have been since Animal Crossing was sub-30fps.

There will be a June Direct, but the September Direct will be replaced by the Switch 2 event

this will sound snide but I am genuinely feeling very grateful that I am at a point in my life where I don't need a Nintendo Direct every three months

I definitely feel some nostalgia for my youthful hype delirium but I am happy to report that getting old has some perks
This is me too

I would be all like "lolololololol"

But this is probably the most likely👇
There will be a June Direct, but the September Direct will be replaced by the Switch 2 event

this will sound snide but I am genuinely feeling very grateful that I am at a point in my life where I don't need a Nintendo Direct every three months

I definitely feel some nostalgia for my youthful hype delirium but I am happy to report that getting old has some perks

And the longer we wait the better they usually end up being.

2016 was torture. I feel like we were expecting NX to launch that year, and then the dreaded "E3 is only for WiiU BoTW" announcement happened. The wait between that announcement, the actual E3 showing, and then the NX reveal trailer was just horrible.

But in retrospect both of those delivered in spades.

Hoping 2024 ends up the same.

And the longer we wait the better they usually end up being.

2016 was torture. I feel like we were expecting NX to launch that year, and then the dreaded "E3 is only for WiiU BoTW" announcement happened. The wait between that announcement, the actual E3 showing, and then the NX reveal trailer was just horrible.

But in retrospect both of those delivered in spades.

Hoping 2024 ends up the same.
The wait between Wii and Wii U was longer than between Wii U and Switch. Food for thoughts.

The wait between Wii and Wii U was longer than between Wii U and Switch. Food for thoughts.

I think it feels longer for me because the Wii had an amazing library and still getting substantial releases (Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles US, etc.) within the last year of its release cycle.

WiiU had some releases as well (you could say) but the library was so much smaller and the writing was on the wall for it's death so it seemed like speculation moved to what's next much quicker. Which is crazy because Wii also seemed really long in the tooth but WiiU was on a whole other level.

Are we sure? People said the same in 2022 and look how that turned out....
They will have to do something during the summer, whether that's a lot of social media announcements or a Direct since they don't really have anything first party wise after June.

In 2022, I suspect they didn't hold a Direct because, at that point, they had already announced their entire 2022 slate in the months prior (Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, Bayonetta 3, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, Kirby's Dream Buffet was a social media announcement). Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Splatoon 3 also Directs planned, while a Pokémon Presents was planned for August so it probably would've been very similar to the Partner Showcase we got that June instead, just wish already announced Nintendo games receiving news as well.

We could be in for another June with a Partner Showcase and not a General Nintendo Direct but I think it's unlikely unless they announce pretty much everything they have left for the year between now and July. If they do have stuff for the second half of the year, though, it would make sense to use a Direct to announce them (especially if Metroid Prime 4 is one of them)! :)

Even if it's a "Partner Showcase", I expect some Another Code/Endless Ocean type "side franchise" reveals in that.

New Fossil Fighters by Red?
New Custom Robo by that new studio formed by Noise veterans?
Hotel Dusk duology by Arc System Works?
New Reginleiv or Super Control Mecha MG by Sandlot?
Pandora's Tower Remaster/sequel by Ganbarion?

Even if it's a "Partner Showcase", I expect some Another Code/Endless Ocean type "side franchise" reveals in that.

The Last Story Remake by Marvelous.

shareholders meeting in 2 weeks and Nintendo first party games list in 2024 would be abysmal for shareholders.
so I believe that a Nintendo Direct or mini direct will be aired next week.

anxiously excited:
racoon-pedro.gif

The Last Story Remake by Marvelous.

or devil's third by Soleil, Ltd.

Even if all they have left this year are remasters and ports, they're not gonna be getting the same big-name treatment as TTYD nor SMRPG every single month August through December, so why the hold up? It's just frustrating that it is impossible for Nintendo to actually have titles consistently dated in the future. Doesn't even have to be six months, even three months! What is accomplished by leaving your fanbase frustrated and in the dark?

"Nothing to look forward to? Guess I'll pick up that Peach game."

Dunno if people actually operate this way, but it sure seems like Nintendo thinks they do.

I begrudgingly accept that if a PS actually featured any of those aforementioned titles (ehh...Fossil Fighters might not do as much for me), it actually would redeem the entire event for all the suffering caused earlier.

"Nothing to look forward to? Guess I'll pick up that Peach game."

Dunno if people actually operate this way, but it sure seems like Nintendo thinks they do.
I don't know either. If PPS didn't appeal to me during the teases, the marketing, previews, and reviews, I'm not sure what will sway my opinion now

Next week is Golden Week in Japan, there won't be anything. I don't think we're getting anything until the usual June timeframe at this point.

Next week is Golden Week in Japan, there won't be anything. I don't think we're getting anything until the usual June timeframe at this point.
There is one precedent for a direct on Golden Week, on April 30th ten years ago they had a Mario Kart direct

Not much precedent but it’s something

The Paper Mario new content dream is seemingly dead with the Purple Toad mystery resolved. That’s a big bummer.

I love Paper Mario TTYD, it’s exciting it is off the GameCube and I’m picking it up for that reason, but darn I just replayed it in 2022. Hoping we’ll see a Direct in early May (I think there’s a good chance) since just two rereleases after Endless Ocean is dire.

The Paper Mario new content dream is seemingly dead with the Purple Toad mystery resolved. That’s a big bummer.

I love Paper Mario TTYD, it’s exciting it is off the GameCube and I’m picking it up for that reason, but darn I just replayed it in 2022. Hoping we’ll see a Direct in early May (I think there’s a good chance) since just two rereleases after Endless Ocean is dire.
I never had this so will get at some point. All these rereleases just are making me go play the games I have on Wii U (advance wars, Metroid prime, SMRPG, etc). Saves money since these didn’t add anything besides the glow ups.

Seems like there will be concept art and a music player and some things like that, but yeah big new gameplay seems unlikely. It does look really, really good though!

I never had this so will get at some point. All these rereleases just are making me go play the games I have on Wii U (advance wars, Metroid prime, SMRPG, etc). Saves money since these didn’t add anything besides the glow ups.
Yeah it’s still genuinely cool for sure for people who haven’t played the game before that will finally be able to. I’m not really a graphics person, but hearing there’s going to be a significantly expanded soundtrack was pretty cool to learn today at least.

The concept art and music player are legitimately awesome additions, especially the former. I really hope IS adds unlockable concept art to the FE4 remake too lol. Hopefully both OG and remake concept art 😎

Ideally, we'll get a proper general Direct pretty soon, tho. TTYD HD looks cool and all, but that's just one game. Early May would be awesome, although I'm concerned Nintendo won't see the point in a May Direct when they can just wait until the typical June timeframe like usual.

When you're an agnostic gamer, it's tough to get too fussy about any of the big 3 having their quiet periods, as there's always something to play.

Hell, every major developer could go silent for like 3 years and I'd be perfectly fine with the backlog I have.

When you're an agnostic gamer, it's tough to get too fussy about any of the big 3 having their quiet periods, as there's always something to play.

Hell, every major developer could go silent for like 3 years and I'd be perfectly fine with the backlog I have.
or you can just be pissed and actively worried about every major developer, like me

At the very least we're getting close to financials, and then we'll be into the 'pre-not-E3' hype timeframe, which regardless of whatever Nintendo does will at least make gaming as a whole perk up.

At the very least we're getting close to financials, and then we'll be into the 'pre-not-E3' hype timeframe, which regardless of whatever Nintendo does will at least make gaming as a whole perk up.
Should be getting some showcase/directs/presentation style announcements in the next couple weeks to slot in with SGF stuff since that’s assumed the E3 mantle. Then the build up to that with leaks and other announcements. A not insignificant selection of games will be in switch (remakes, retro collections, indies, RPGs).

Who's excited for Metroid Prime 4?
I just spent the last hour thinking about what I'd like to see in 4. I've only beat Remastered and waiting for 2 and 3 to get to Switch to play them, so I don't know if they have anything from my wishlist.

- The ability to permanently affect the map in non-scripted ways
Say there's a glass bridge. If I were to shoot it with a missile, and again, and once more, it would permanently break and were I standing on top of it, it would lead me to a completely new area of the map.

- Chemistry and physics
I remember there was this puzzle in the ice cavern where there's a missile upgrade, tempting me under a thick sheet of ice. At that point I already knew you unlock a flamethrower, so the moment I got it I rushed back to the ice cave to get my sweet missile upgrade... to my dismay, the ice didn't melt. The solution is to shoot one of the icicles on the ceiling and have it crush the ice. Does it make sense? Yes, as that was one of the mechanics introduced in that area. Is it satisfying? No. Specially when there's another puzzle where you actually do get to melt ice.

- Speed and more varied moveset
Take a page from 2D Metroid and make Samus a bit faster. Let me wall jump. Have the grapple beam not only work as a swing, but like the grappling hook from Zelda, except it sticks almost anywhere. Add something similar to the counter from SR/Dread, where where you can push forward with a charge attack if you have already built some momentum by running.

- Dynamic enemies
If you just killed a bunch of enemies in a room, exit, and go back to it again, you will find that they didn't respawn... but a couple did leave eggs behind, which are right about to hatch... I'm a bit iffy on this one because I understand enemies are integral to the level design, but it would be cool if they managed to make it work.

- Sylux chases you
Have Sylux chase you throughout the map. Unlike the EMMI nothing about it is scripted, rather it's an advanced AI that's chasing you in real time as you play. You can't see him on the map, but if you get to certain designated spots, you will see the game from his POV as he makes his way to you. Add a "Hunter" mode with a life system where your save file is deleted if Sylux depletes all your lives.

It would be called Metroid Prime 4: Nemesis, as a nod to Resident Evil.

This is around the time I'd usually get hyped for E3...
I know the company for the event itself isn't great, and I know it came with a lot of cringe moments and weirdness, but, I really enjoyed E3 week.

Was like a gaming Christmas in a way, all the companies doing Conferances in the span of 3 days. Even if some were duds, there were usually some that made up for it.
Having it all there at the same time period just made it really special. I FULLY get why Dirests and such have taken over, and, ultimately, it is way more convenient, both for the companies and for the fans.
But there was something special about it all. Especially back then, around and right before the Wii era. It felt like Peak Gaming Excitement for me.

I used to prepare a bunch of snacks and whatnot each year, and spreading it out for all the live conferances, and then following the Previews of people playing stuff there, and the Treehouse streams, etc etc...

Directs are great, but I miss 'Classic E3' a lot

- Sylux chases you
Have Sylux chase you throughout the map. Unlike the EMMI nothing about it is scripted, rather it's an advanced AI that's chasing you in real time as you play. You can't see him on the map, but if you get to certain designated spots, you will see the game from his POV as he makes his way to you. Add a "Hunter" mode with a life system where your save file is deleted if Sylux depletes all your lives.
I watched Predator again the other day and was in the midst of replaying Prime Remastered and had a dream sort of like this. It was basically Samus crash landing on a planet and her suit needing time to recover so the game was her à la Dutch (Schwarzenegger) using primitive tools to survive in the jungle of this alien planet With Sylux as the Predator hunting her.

Too early imo, the event will be much closer to release. We will have info and reveal before but that event will be the final hype push.

- Sylux chases you

It would be called Metroid Prime 4: Nemesis, as a nod to Resident Evil.
I can accept that for only a small part of the game, entire map I don't care but should start after an even and stop after another event. I wanna enjoy my exploration, it's a big part of Metroid.

I regret to announce that once again, I have been incredibly rash. If there’s an actual Direct next week I’m cooking up a delicious meal of hat and humble pie.
Hat and humble pie remaining uneaten.

Time to shell out money for a ticket to get back on the Team June train!

Back
Top Bottom