• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

Pyoro likes to tease early. He’s gonna tease 5 days or so early it looks like. Around Friday I’ll be looking for his hints for a direct the following week.

uh yes. We knew so little about H2 2023 that people were convinced that was because the successor was coming out then.
Its not really the same IMO.

Before June 2023 Direct we knew about Pikmin 4 date (July). They didn’t release any SW at August. They use that presentation to announce all their fall lineup (September: Pikmin 1+2, October: Detective Pikachu 2, SMB Wonder, November: SMRPG, Wario Ware)

Now we don’t even know about their July game so I think a presentation must come early than June to show their summer and possible fall 2024 lineup.

This year being a transition year alone should make comparisons to previous years difficult, i'd say.

But with the rumored Switch 2 delay, i think there's no way to predict timings, content (quality and amount) of any presentation Nintendo has this year.

FYI Grubb never said there was a blowout for Metroid Prime 4 in May. He said that was the internal due date for assets for Metroid Prime 4. That was also a long time ago so things could change. They would need time to cut those assets into a presentation and consider how they want it done.

If we are going to cite insiders and be mad when they get things wrong we should be citing them accurately.

Go to Direct in April ! :D
13th or 20th.

ReAnnounce :

Metroid Prime 4

Confirmation :

Fire Emblem 4: Remake

More info :

Endless Ocean Luminous
Paper Mario TTYD
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

Hope :

More lesser-known, less popular licenses. New or remake.

FYI Grubb never said there was a blowout for Metroid Prime 4 in May. He said that was the internal due date for assets for Metroid Prime 4. That was also a long time ago so things could change. They would need time to cut those assets into a presentation and consider how they want it done.

If we are going to cite insiders and be mad when they get things wrong we should be citing them accurately.
Good thing I never get mad at them.

This year being a transition year alone should make comparisons to previous years difficult, i'd say.

But with the rumored Switch 2 delay, i think there's no way to predict timings, content (quality and amount) of any presentation Nintendo has this year.
Well that’s why we’re discussing April directs, right? Because April having general directs isn’t normal. We had the General in 2017 and….that’s it lol.

It makes the discussion somewhat more fun I think with uncertainty. At least it’s not like 2020. That wasn’t fun discussion with the pandemic.

Last edited:
Its not really the same IMO.

Before June 2023 Direct we knew about Pikmin 4 date (July). They didn’t release any SW at August. They use that presentation to announce all their fall lineup (September: Pikmin 1+2, October: Detective Pikachu 2, SMB Wonder, November: SMRPG, Wario Ware)

Now we don’t even know about their July game so I think a presentation must come early than June to show their summer and possible fall 2024 lineup.
I mean, sure. I don't necessarily disagree but if Nintendo were to wait until June would I be surprised? No.

All I was really saying is that people assume too much because of their own expecations. And while that may not be the same this year it's hardly that different.

Came in expecting to see the NSO update reigniting the April Debate only to see Brazil himself wade in. Neat.

Fwiw I think an April Direct means no (traditional) June Direct.
I'm inclined to agree, although the Switch 2 internal delay makes things interesting. Would we really go another 5-ish months between April and September, or would Nintendo continue to mix things up with a late-summer Direct? And for that matter, how many more Switch-only Directs do we think remain before the console blowout, or at least a showcase of some launch titles?
Fiscal year earnings report is 5/7 (5/8 in NA?)

That’s earlier in the month than I had thought. I expect if we’re getting an April Direct it’ll be towards the middle or end of the month. Let’s say 1-2 weeks before Endless Ocean meaning anywhere between 4/18 - 4/25 so they don’t overshadow that game and can drop a demo in the eShop.
My thoughts exactly. It's going to be one of those two weeks in April if there is indeed an April Direct.

I'm inclined to agree, although the Switch 2 internal delay makes things interesting. Would we really go another 5-ish months between April and September, or would Nintendo continue to mix things up with a late-summer Direct?
What's been goofing me up about the internal delay is whether that means they're gonna have a sudden glaring gap in their release schedule in H2. Will all the late-H2 games be held back for the 2witch now, or will some of the smaller games that were meant to be cross-gen releases simply come out on Switch to fill the gap, acting like that was always the plan?

Kinda reminds me of a few years ago when suddenly games like Age of Calamity were landing with such noticable performance dips that people were suggesting they might've been made with the Pro in mind. Are we gonna have a slate of games this holiday that seem like they were built with higher specs in mind? Or just crickets instead?

I'm inclined to agree, although the Switch 2 internal delay makes things interesting. Would we really go another 5-ish months between April and September, or would Nintendo continue to mix things up with a late-summer Direct? And for that matter, how many more Switch-only Directs do we think remain before the console blowout, or at least a showcase of some launch titles?
I do think that potential delay muddies the waters somewhat, but I'm still expecting a formal confirmation of the new hardware by the time of their next investor meeting in early May. From that perspective, a Direct in April has a lot of advantages, not least in that the first three quarters of the fiscal year would have their products dated and announced. Follow it up with new hardware confirmation a few weeks later and I think waiting until September for another 'full' Direct, or a software blowout for the new system, would be fine. We go four months between Directs in February and June; not that much different if they go from (for example) mid April to early September. Nintendo will have to balance between shifting focus to the new platform while still doing enough to drive the Switch business for the rest of the calendar year.

That May through early September period would also presumably have 4 or 5 first party releases to promote (Endless Ocean, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, July game, September game), perhaps an Indie World or Pokemon Presents or both, plus NSO drops. It might feel like an age to the most perpetually online enthusiasts, but I bet there'd still be a regular drip feed of news.

What's been goofing me up about the internal delay is whether that means they're gonna have a sudden glaring gap in their release schedule in H2. Will all the late-H2 games be held back for the 2witch now, or will some of the smaller games that were meant to be cross-gen releases simply come out on Switch to fill the gap, acting like that was always the plan?

Kinda reminds me of a few years ago when suddenly games like Age of Calamity were landing with such noticable performance dips that people were suggesting they might've been made with the Pro in mind. Are we gonna have a slate of games this holiday that seem like they were built with higher specs in mind? Or just crickets instead?
I think there'll probably be a couple games that were originally intended as cross-gen releases that now become "Switch 1, with Switch 2 upgrades/updates later" titles

Like, stuff on the scale of a new Mario Party, FE4 remake, Prime 4, maaybe a new DK if they're feeling bold, possibly something wacky like a new Rhythm Heaven, that all seems like the kind of thing that could have been "built for Switch 1 first" and then "ported up" to Switch 2 and could plausibly still come out without having any huge "oh this was supposed to be running on newer hardware" issues. Whereas I kinda suspect games like Age of Calamity and maybe Bowser's Fury were at one point envisioned as "Pro exclusives" (similar to how the GBC and New 3DS had exclusive games/modes) and had to be ported down to Switch 1, causing obvious and noticeable performance issues

That’s why this Direct is so interesting - it should answer the empty holiday season question. I don’t see them saving much of anything that’s still coming in 2024 for after an April Direct.

The other big question is if there’ll be a June Direct, and when Switch 2 is being shown. Part of me wonders if the reason they’re doing a Direct early in April is to cover the rest of 2024 and also leave the summer slot open for Switch 2 info.

Let’s not speak the 9-month dead period before the new console launch into existence. Already had enough of that of the years with Nintendo!

At this point I'm wondering if Retro Studios isn't working on Duke Nukem Forever 2.

The other big question is if there’ll be a June Direct, and when Switch 2 is being shown. Part of me wonders if the reason they’re doing a Direct early in April is to cover the rest of 2024 and also leave the summer slot open for Switch 2 info.
I caught some flak for this earlier but the more I think about it, there has to be something inJune for the OG Switch because there are likely partner titles that are slated for Q3/Q4 that haven’t been formally announced.

While Geoff-fest is an option that’s not going to have nearly the same level of visibility (or production level) as a Nintendo Direct branded event.

So I think I’m expecting a Partner Direct in June and a Switch 2 hardware reveal at this point. Hope springs eternal for a full Direct if they were to say tease cross-gen Prime 4 as a “one more thing” in April.

I will say though if we don’t get something in April I would expect May Direct and June hardware event. I absolutely think there’s room for Directs in April and June (or July).

didnt Jeff Grubb mentioned someting Metroid Prime related would happen in may?

He said something about a marketing push for Metroid in May. I believe this was prior to the news of the Switch 2 delay, so who knows if that may have changed things.
Always reassuring that a timeline from leakers is disrupted because Nintendo needs to perfect Wario's 4K assets.

I think it'll likely just be a part of Keigh3 at this point. No real reason to separate the two unless there's something connected to the Switch 2's announcement or something.

didnt Jeff Grubb mentioned someting Metroid Prime related would happen in may?
he heard (from a source that also told him Epic Mickey was getting remastered) that, as of sometime last year, Nintendo was looking to have Prime 4 assets (basically the materials you'd need for a trailer/re-reveal; CGI, gameplay footage, etc) prepared by May of 2024

He was pretty clear that he does not know if that's still their time table, and also that "having assets in hand by May" isn't the same as "something will definitely happen in May" even if it is still the internal schedule

Only a few days left in March for that guaranteed Switch 2 reveal. Then a for sure general direct in April. Finally, the Metroid Prime 4 extravaganza in May.

Some truly exciting times ahead.

In Japan, it's called Direct Nintendo.

On a side note, in the early 2000s, I always wondered why some websites called him Son Goku. So Goku's his last name? Who is he the son of?

I saw Pyoro’s now-deleted tweet… what’s going on?

I have it screenshotted but not sure if it’s against etiquette/rules to post here since he deleted it

We better not get to a point where Pyoro is so damn important that him mentioning banned content un-bans it around here 😅

what if I were to tell you that that's a unfortunate but necessary stepping stone to Pyoro becoming so important that them mentioning Chrono Trigger forces the greenlighting of 10 sequels?

if you add 10 to March 10th you get the 20th, and then deleting it adds another 10 but it got deleted so the other 10 is hidden

we're getting a shadowdropped Mario thing on March 30th
thats great but I think maybe you are overthinking it. Let me share my reasoning:

First, why does he Rt this Mario tweet? Well the Mario name is from the Latin name Marius which is probably of Etruscan origin and possibly related to the name of the Roman god Mars. And what character name is based in Mars name? Marth. So of course he is hinting about a new Fire emblem.

Ok now we know the What. But When? Well, the Mar10 video is 3 minutes long, if you divide by 3 the miyamoto age (71) you get 23'6. So yes, june 23 is our date ladies and gentlemen.

That’s why this Direct is so interesting - it should answer the empty holiday season question. I don’t see them saving much of anything that’s still coming in 2024 for after an April Direct.

I’d assume no; that’s incredibly early for Switch 2, and it’d dominate their news cycle for the rest of the year regardless of what they release.

I’m guessing it’s gonna be very similar to how the Switch was handled in terms of scheduling: late fall reveal, winter showcase, spring release. Stack the “hardcore” releases earlier in 2024 (I.E. Metroid Prime 4 in early October, before the reveal) so that they get their fair share of news hype, and the “casual” stuff after. Sales and online hype for something like a new Mario Party isn’t going to be affected by Switch 2 news the same was games like FE4 or MP4 would, so save those releases for after the console reveal and ride those games through the holiday.

April direct details the year, with maybe a Partner Showcase or Indie World in the summer.

Are we allowed to discuss the Midori drama? I only ask because I’mn in the dark about it
Probably best to keep it at a minimum since it involves a person who we don't want discussed here (because he's actively targeted this community and some users in it in the past)

But the gist of it seems to be:
  • Midori found out about a game that was being "considered" for development
  • told a friend before posting about it
  • that friend told a bad-internet-person-with-a-following, who then posted as a "leak" that the game was in development
  • as it gained traction Midori spoke up with a correction that it was only being considered
  • the "leaker" then trash-talked Midori, claiming the info as his own, and his followers supposedly went after her so badly that she decided to retire her account and stop posting.

Back
Top Bottom