• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I can't believe Nintendo made a crossover movie and a crossover world in Mario Odyssey by having Donkey Kong characters! /s

DK is a part of the larger Mario series, when people say they want Mario Kart to be Mario characters they don't mean getting rid of Donkey Kong and anything that could allude to the fact that Mario spinoffs exist. If anything, the love for Funky Kong is proof there should be more picks like that, characters from sister series/spinoffs that don't get to interact often despite sharing a universe and referencing the fact the games exist constantly.
The issue is that when it comes to justifying why Funky Kong is OK and Inkling isn't, "Funky Kong technically exists in Mario's universe" just comes across to me as grasping at straws. And I usually dislike the phrase "too little too late," but it's hard to not use that phrase if you're going to bring up the movie and Odyssey in this context.
At the end of the day, Funky Kong is a side character that debuted in the game that explicitly separated DK's identity from Mario's. Even if Funky being in Mario Kart doesn't break the "MK should only be about Mario" principle by the letter of the law, it breaks it by the spirit of the law.

Mario Kart will never become Smash Kart because Nintendo does not want to share its profits with other companies, whether third parties like SEGA and Namco, or close partners like GameFreak, HAL, or IntSys.

Mario Kart could become EPD Kart (kind of like Nintendo Land), but most of the series are already there or related to Mario anyway. Pikmin is the most glaring omission.

We have to talk about why isn’t Professor E.Gadd not a playable character in Mario Kart?? He’s been around for so long and he’s unique. Seeing @E.Gadd reminded me of him
They don't like old folks

Cranky and Toadsworth haven't been thrown a bone either you know. And from what I gather at our bingo meetings, Kamek had one hell of time getting his spot in the series

They kept telling him they had a spot waiting for him, then the day would come and they just wouldn't let him in the building. Wouldn't answer his phone calls. Nothing.

Maybe a big controversial take but, I think for the next Mario kart they should make a new good mario kart game with cool new ideas and mechanics and it will probably be the best selling game in the next console.

Every crossover in media eventually just devolves into that dunkey video about Smash 4s roster and I'm tired of pretending otherwise.

I think Nintendo has lost the plot if the next Mario Kart has like a Fire Emblem course y'know? I think that's a reasonable stance to take

The issue is that when it comes to justifying why Funky Kong is OK and Inkling isn't, "Funky Kong technically exists in Mario's universe" just comes across to me as grasping at straws. And I usually dislike the phrase "too little too late," but it's hard to not use that phrase if you're going to bring up the movie and Odyssey in this context.
At the end of the day, Funky Kong is a side character that debuted in the game that explicitly separated DK's identity from Mario's. Even if Funky being in Mario Kart doesn't break the "MK should only be about Mario" principle by the letter of the law, it breaks it by the spirit of the law.
I think the difference between Kirby and Diddy Kong showing up in a Mario game is pretty vastly different.
Give me WarioWare characters, but I genuinely couldn't care less if they started adding Ganondorf or Captain Falcon. Most of the Donkey Kong tracks in Mario Kart SINCE Donkey Kong was added in 64 were DKC themed. Diddy Kong even appears in Toad's Turnpike. Wario's car from Land 4 is in Double Dash and his bike from Ware is in Wii. I don't think they feel like crossover vehicles like the Blue Falcon in Wii.

I think the difference between Kirby and Diddy Kong showing up in a Mario game is pretty vastly different.
Considering just how much effort Rare put in to give Donkey Kong his own separate identity with no connections to Mario, the "Kirby in a Mario game" comparison doesn't feel any different to me.

I’m predicting the Mario Kart X for crossover. It’s only crossing first party franchises. No third party will be in this.
Okay but the internet doesn't need more discourse about how "actually it's pronounced 'cross' in Japan"

Obviously,
Mario Kart X (=10)
is secretly
Mario Kart X (=ex, as in formerly)
because it inexplicably became
Mario Kart X (=cross, as in crossover).

Considering just how much effort Rare put in to give Donkey Kong his own separate identity with no connections to Mario, the "Kirby in a Mario game" comparison doesn't feel any different to me.
Donkey Kong's origins with Mario is Cranky Kong's entire character and reason for existing. Mario games are mentioned right alongside Donkey Kong games in the Rare Country games and 64.
Hell, Diddy Kong Pilot's earliest version had Mario characters right alongside K Rool, Dixie and Funky. They never tried to deny DK's Mario series origins, and immediately after DKC, 99% of DK representation in any Mario game used DKC's jungle aesthetic and usually DK Island Swing.
https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Diddy_Kong_Pilot_(2001)#Miscellaneous

Donkey Kong's origins with Mario is Cranky Kong's entire character and reason for existing.
But shunting all that history to Cranky (as opposed to keeping DKC's Donkey as the same person as the original) had the effect of framing "the new Donkey Kong" as a new entity that didn't need said history to stand on his own.
Mario games are mentioned right alongside Donkey Kong games in the Rare Country games and 64.
Not really sure what you're referring to here, in what context are these games brought up?
Hell, Diddy Kong Pilot's earliest version had Mario characters right alongside K Rool, Dixie and Funky.
I don't really put all that much stock into what could have been, I just view that as cool trivia more than anything else, similar to how Splatoon was almost a Mario spin-off before Nintendo came up with the Inklings.
They never tried to deny DK's Mario series origins, and immediately after DKC, 99% of DK representation in any Mario game used DKC's jungle aesthetic and usually DK Island Swing
They didn't try to deny history, but in several respects they've been willing to downplay it. For one thing, Mario's major anniversary celebrations have always been the anniversary of SMB1, not the character himself, and just like DKC would go on to establish DK's separate identity, SMB1 established Mario's. As for the jungle and music references, I've always considered them as being in the same category as something like the Blue Falcon in Mario Kart.

This is a hard one because I feel like Mario Kart currently has the same issue smash does, it’s getting too big for its own good. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe features 96 tracks, 48 characters, 5 battle modes, and an active player base encapsulating millions of people. The next Mario kart cannot be a simple follow up to 8, especially if the switch 2 is backwards compatible, because what reason would people even have to buy a new Mario kart if it barely innovates on the old one they still can play on new hardware? I think a reboot of some kind is necessary, and Nintendo kart would allow for so many new ideas. Completely new mechanics, items, modes, and stages would all happen, and I think it would be different enough from 8 deluxe for people who have that game to buy it
Would it be farfetched to suggest that, perhaps, Mario Kart 8 can co-exist with newer entries? Like:
• Mario Kart 8 will forever be a live service type of game;
• Mario Kart sequels will try to be their own thing

Not really sure what you're referring to here, in what context are these games brought up?
Rare's DK games frequently break the fourth wall and mention various Nintendo games including itself as a video game. Wrinkly Kong is even playing Mario 64 in DKC3 and in DK64 you have to play a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet. Donkey Kong Land even has a world entirely based on the Donkey Kong Arcade construction site. It's frequently mentioned that events of other series did happen. Not just cameos or easter eggs.
The Banjo series does a similar thing, mentioning Banjo's Diddy Kong Racing origins, and extending that to referencing Mario by name a couple of times.
I don't really put all that much stock into what could have been, I just view that as cool trivia more than anything else, similar to how Splatoon was almost a Mario spin-off before Nintendo came up with the Inklings.
Point was Rare was the one to put their characters right next to the Mario characters in what would have been a new DK game that got transformed because of the Microsoft buyout. Instead, Nintendo just also did that.
As for the jungle and music references, I've always considered them as being in the same category as something like the Blue Falcon in Mario Kart.
So every Mario spinoff literally ever should now become a crossover with every Nintendo IP ever, I guess. Smash Party, Smash Golf, Smash Tennis, Smash Strikers, Smash Super Sluggers, the possibilities are endless! 3D mainline Mario too, Odyssey has a Diddy Kong outfit and mentions K Rool, Expresso, and basically every DKC character.

Do you see why considering Donkey Kong stuff as crossover stuff on the level of Metroid or F-Zero is a little silly?

Rare's DK games frequently break the fourth wall and mention various Nintendo games including itself as a video game. Wrinkly Kong is even playing Mario 64 in DKC3 and in DK64 you have to play a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet. Donkey Kong Land even has a world entirely based on the Donkey Kong Arcade construction site. It's frequently mentioned that events of other series did happen. Not just cameos or easter eggs.
The Banjo series does a similar thing, mentioning Banjo's Diddy Kong Racing origins, and extending that to referencing Mario by name a couple of times.
Whenever I encountered these references, they just never seemed significant enough for me to specifically think about DK's connection with Mario. DKC also made some references to the Zelda series, so that muddies the waters.
Point was Rare was the one to put their characters right next to the Mario characters in what would have been a new DK game that got transformed because of the Microsoft buyout. Instead, Nintendo just also did that.
Still, I'm more inclined to consider games that actually ended up releasing.
So every Mario spinoff literally ever should now become a crossover with every Nintendo IP ever, I guess. Smash Party, Smash Golf, Smash Tennis, Smash Strikers, Smash Super Sluggers, the possibilities are endless! 3D mainline Mario too, Odyssey has a Diddy Kong outfit and mentions K Rool, Expresso, and basically every DKC character.
How did you get "every Nintendo IP" from what I said? Samus appearing in a Kirby game didn't open the floodgates for that franchise to become focused on crossovers. The crossover characters in the MK8D roster have around the same level of focus that the Playstation-associated characters (Cloud, Joker, etc.) have in Smash Bros Ultimate, if that balance is maintained going forward then that sounds to me like a decent middle ground.

How did you get "every Nintendo IP" from what I said? Samus appearing in a Kirby game didn't open the floodgates for that franchise to become focused on crossovers. The crossover characters in the MK8D roster have around the same level of focus that the Playstation-associated characters (Cloud, Joker, etc.) have in Smash Bros Ultimate, if that balance is maintained going forward then that sounds to me like a decent middle ground.
If you think Donkey Kong, Wario, Yoshi's Island and Luigi's Mansion tracks are as comparable to Zelda or F-Zero tracks in a way that makes them like Cloud in Smash, I don't know what the hell to tell you.

The next Mario kart cannot be a simple follow up to 8, especially if the switch 2 is backwards compatible, because what reason would people even have to buy a new Mario kart if it barely innovates on the old one they still can play on new hardware?
Because it’ll be a new game, with better graphics, a new gimmick, hopefully 60fps even on 4 players co-op, new characters, new races, etc. That’s good enough incentives to buy a new game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is great, but I assume most people by now crave a new one. Even with the booster pass, the game still plays the same, has the same balance etc.

If you think Donkey Kong, Wario, Yoshi's Island and Luigi's Mansion tracks are as comparable to Zelda or F-Zero tracks in a way that makes them like Cloud in Smash, I don't know what the hell to tell you.
The existence of the DKC-based tracks just isn't something that's going to have an impact on the way that I view the character, regardless of how Nintendo intended these specific tracks.

Still can't believe we had that Kirby MK8 Rosa smash trailer and never got kirby in Kart. That's just mean.

Screw it, I'm a smash Kart supporter. Purist begone. I want Samus to drive in the Teddy bear kart and Pikachu on the Bowsermobile. I want to drive on Cornaria and Dreamland throwing bananas at each other and I'm tired of pretending it wouldn't be sick.

thoughts?
image.png
Very much agree tbh. Mario Kart is something that isn’t bound to pre-existing Mario lore and therefore contains lots of ideas to help the Mario universe grow on its own. I guess I don’t mind crossovers as they’ve already happened (and I’m a little surprised we didn’t get anything from Pikmin) but I want to see Kart keep feeding new ideas to the main series.

And from what I gather at our bingo meetings, Kamek had one hell of time getting his spot in the series
To tie this to the Donkey Kong discourse, poor Kamek was so excited to be invited to Mario Kart 64 and then was unceremoniously booted in favor of some random ape. Who invited that guy?! He doesn't even know Mario and probably can't drive anyway.

5b7q1qsn5rr81.png

It's been 10 years since the last Mario Kart game (other than the widely disliked mobile game) so expectations will be sky high and people will have different expectations.

I think Nintendo has lost the plot if the next Mario Kart has like a Fire Emblem course y'know? I think that's a reasonable stance to take

They added characters from Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Zelda and tracks from F-Zero, Zelda and Animal Crossing to Mario Kart 8 DX, it's only the natural evolution of the Mario Kart series imo and a way to increase the popularity of smaller IPs and lesser known characters
-Olimar from Pikmin
-Shulk from Xenoblade
-Byleth from FE3H
-Kirby
They should be there and have related tracks

So no it's not a reasonable stance because it would ignore what has been done before and would deny a business opportunity. I'd be shocked if we never see at least some of these IPs in the next Mario Kart whether it is in the base game or later as part of an Expansion Pass

Alear would probably be more likely, given that Engage is the most recent game. Although if Genealogy Remake is released in time, maybe Sigurd?

can...can we have a Kirby Air Ride remake or sequel instead...? It was such a fun game!

I said Byleth because they're the main of the best-selling FE game but yes I guess they could go for Alear too, I wouldn't mind personally ^^

As for Kirby Air Ride I wouldn't mind, I just feel Nintendo is no longer willing to release Mario Kart competitors

I want Nintendo to add characters to Mk outside of gaming realm. Disney expansion for MK9! Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy and Stitch. They all learned the craft very well now, you know.

My take is that Mario Kart should primarily say Mario-focused, but I think a Pikmin course is a lock. It's the one EPD series they heavily push that never made it to 8 Deluxe.

So Nintendo sent me(and maybe also probably you) a little info dump about the Mario VS Donkey Kong remake via the Switch news channel

I only bring this up because at the very bottom of the thing they have an asterisk with "Just a reminder that Donkey Kong is not an ape––he is a Kong"

and I just felt like this was important news to share with you all here

Donkey Kong is not an ape

He is a Kong

Last edited:
So Nintendo sent me(and maybe also probably you) a little info dump about the Mario VS Donkey Kong remake via the Switch news channel

I only bring this up because at the very bottom of the thing they have an asterisk with "Just a reminder that Donkey Kong is not and ape––he is a Kong"

and I just felt like this was important news to share with you all here

Donkey Kong is not an ape

He is a Kong

59193_PT3._AC_SL600_V1515597179_.jpg

Mario Kart will never become Smash Kart because Nintendo does not want to share its profits with other companies, whether third parties like SEGA and Namco, or close partners like GameFreak, HAL, or IntSys.

Mario Kart could become EPD Kart (kind of like Nintendo Land), but most of the series are already there or related to Mario anyway. Pikmin is the most glaring omission.

Agree with this but also they like to keep things separated.

Mario Kart - For that type
Smash - for that type and so on

How many times have people wished for Nintendo characters in Splatoon?

It just wont happen they like to keep it very separated and it works!

I want Nintendo to add characters to Mk outside of gaming realm. Disney expansion for MK9! Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy and Stitch. They all learned the craft very well now, you know.
MKX... Mugen Kart X...

mario kart triple dash:

you pick your 3-character combos like peach + daisy + rosalina
the front character drives and the other 2 characters behind use items from the 2 item bubbles at the HUD

I always thought Nintendo could make Super Smash Bros a label almost and have it for all Nintendo crossover games

Kart Racer - Super Smash Bros Allstar kart
Tennis - Super Smash Bros Power Tennis

Something to that effect, no need to keep them Mario IP only

I always thought Nintendo could make Super Smash Bros a label almost and have it for all Nintendo crossover games

Kart Racer - Super Smash Bros Allstar kart
Tennis - Super Smash Bros Power Tennis

Something to that effect, no need to keep them Mario IP only
Nah, let's not do that. Some Nintendo characters in Mario Kart is a lot less of a nightmare for developers and Nintendo's legal team than going full on Smash Bros with Mario Kart and other sports titles. The sequel games would not focus on creating a new experiences but rather focus on feeding into the endless hype that's needed to keep a crossover game afloat. Plus, it would really diminish what makes Smash special. It's a once a generation celebration of the industry and turning it into Mario Tennis Aces? God what a fucking disaster that would be.

Why people are against Mario Kart Bros.? I think this is the next step for the series, allowing more first party (not much, 5-10) and some third party to the race.

Why people are against Mario Kart Bros.? I think this is the next step for the series, allowing more first party (not much, 5-10) and some third party to the race.
People don't want Smash Kart because they don't want the identity of Mario Kart erased. People enjoy Mario Kart because it gives representation to a lot of underrepresented aspects to the series, and having characters who aren't playable anywhere else inevitably being cut to make room for a character which probably gets enough rep in their own series would hurt. Not to mention, a Smash Kart would certainly mean less Mario-centric and legacy content as to diversify the series represented and truly make it a "Smash" game. There's also the fact that when Smash is getting new content, it's the biggest game around. People rightfully want a break from that every now and then and turning MK into Smash would mean that hype cycle and craze is practically going on all the time. Not to mention it just makes Smash less special.

This isn't me being against crossovers in Mario Kart - gimme Samus, Kirby, Captain Falcon and Olimar. They'd really fit. But I don't want to wake up one day to a trailer showing Smash Kart being real at the expense of the legacy Mario Kart has already created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom