• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling is Smash is going to be a while before it comes back after Ultimate unless its just a Deluxe port of Ultimate (perhaps with booster pass) and we don't get a new Smash for the Switch 2/it doesnt arrive til the end of the gen and Mario Kart is going to be the big live service focus of at least the early part of Switch 2's lifespan...

They were already doing Smash-esque new racer DLC videos and reveals for 8... so yeah... this will continue, especially with the success of Smash DLC and I think expanding it to wider Nintendo (while still being called Mario Kart) makes a lot of sense, they need to do something a bit different with the next MK regardless after a gen of an HD port and a few new tracks, expanding the roster would be a way of doing that and allowing MK to be the longterm DLC evergreen Smash was for Switch... and lets be real... I don't think Bobby Bob-Omb from Origami King or characters of that level would really achieve much for Mario Kart going forward

Last edited:
My hope for the next Mario Kart is 16 new courses, 16 classic courses, and 16 crossover courses (which includes bringing back the big ones from 8 Deluxe) at launch with then a couple years worth of DLC planned to add to all three of those categories. Get at least Captain Falcon and Kirby on the roster. Would love to see Samus, Fox, and Pikachu too and then some Mario RPG characters like Vivian.

My hope for the next Mario Kart is 16 new courses, 16 classic courses, and 16 crossover courses (which includes bringing back the big ones from 8 Deluxe) at launch with then a couple years worth of DLC planned to add to all three of those categories. Get at least Captain Falcon and Kirby on the roster. Would love to see Samus, Fox, and Pikachu too and then some Mario RPG characters like Vivian.
"Crossover courses" would be cool, especially since the ones in MK8 were already fairly neat. I would like to see reworkings from just misc Nintendo IP, you don't even need to really add the characters from their original games. Give me a Halberd Battleship course with a reworking of Meta Knight's Revenge, is that so much to ask?
That being said, I just want the next Mario Kart to be mostly original while bringing back some of the courses that never got reworked into MK8, stuff like Toad's Factory.

My hope for next Mario Kart is 16 new tracks (Mario/DK/Yoshi) and 16 crossover tracks (Zelda/Animal Crossing/Splatoon/Metroid/Star Fox/Pikmin/ARMS/F-Zero…) with loads of single player and different variants of multiplayer content.

Then as DLC a 3 year cycle with 16 tracks per year with a total of 48 tracks (16 Mario/DK/Yoshi, 16 other Nintendo IP like Fire Emblem/Xenoblade/Pokemon/Kirby, 16 Third Party IP like Sonic/Pac-Man/etc).

No retro courses will be added, though some new courses will be very similar to some old ones.

I haven't even given the last couple of DLC waves a go yet just because I'd gotten so sick of MK8, despite how good it is – and that happened without me ever owning a WiiU.

The next one being a launch (window) title is one of my biggest hopes, now that I think about it.

I stayed away from Deluxe because I had and played 8 to death on my WiiU, so I'm starving for some new Mario Kart. It's been ten years. That's crazy to think about.

I haven't even given the last couple of DLC waves a go yet just because I'd gotten so sick of MK8, despite how good it is – and that happened without me ever owning a WiiU.

The next one being a launch (window) title is one of my biggest hopes, now that I think about it.
checks release date for Mario Kart 8
Jesus Christ we're almost at the 10th anniversary of that game. Going that long without a fully-new titles is so strange to me considering how much that game sells. There's a non-0 chance that we're going to see the anniversary of MK8 before the Switch 2 release date/MK9 and that scares me.

I stayed away from Deluxe because I had and played 8 to death on my WiiU, so I'm starving for some new Mario Kart. It's been ten years. That's crazy to think about.
I've played around 150 hours of Deluxe in nearly 7 years for that same reason, it just didn't feel new enough. Not even the new courses were enough to bring me in. I need new mechanics and a game that overall FEELS different

You should give those new courses a whirl. A lot of fantastic tracks in there many of which became regular favorites of mine like Singapore, LA, Yoshi’s Island, and Squeaky Clean Sprint not to mention tons of classics coming back like Rainbow Road Wii and Koopa Cape.

You should give those new courses a whirl. A lot of fantastic tracks in there many of which became regular favorites of mine like Singapore, LA, Yoshi’s Island, and Squeaky Clean Sprint not to mention tons of classics coming back like Rainbow Road Wii and Koopa Cape.
Oh yeah, I still mean to check it out! Just haven't been in the mood for it in a while.

I think they are just going to let you carry your Booster Pass courses into the next Mario Kart. This will allow them to focus on new courses for all the new characters they will add.

I think they are just going to let you carry your Booster Pass courses into the next Mario Kart. This will allow them to focus on new courses for all the new characters they will add.
That would be really jarring. The BCP tracks already clash with the coursed made for the main game, they'd look even more out of place contrasted with a 2024-2025 Switch 2 original MK.

Next Kart should do some some serious innovation BOTW style (in terms of how radical the departure is)

Story mode like Diddy Kong Racing, multiple vehicle types, harder racing modes

Next Kart should do some some serious innovation BOTW style (in terms of how radical the departure is)

Story mode like Diddy Kong Racing, multiple vehicle types, harder racing modes
Nah, then it wouldn't be Mario Kart anymore. They should bring back Diddy Kong Racing for that instead.

January is so damn boring. Where is the flavor? The pizzazz? The shine?
If you've got a PC, I'd recommend just randomly checking out a weird game on Xbox Game Pass without looking at reviews or anything. It's a good way to whittle away at the time and discover a good video game.

That or just work your way through your backlog. Resident Evil 7 has been on my desktop for around 3 months now, and now I have a hankering to play it after I finished my exams.

January having no releases or news in any industry is a time-honored tradition. Just take a crack at that backlog and chill 😎
Nah bruh, I'm just going to stare at Persona 3 Reload in my Steam Library until it becomes available. It's a thrilling pass time...

I did, A Short Hike is amazing
5Eu.gif

Nah but seriously though Infinite Wealth is an apt title because of the Infinite amount of time it's going to take me to finally get around to playing it.

Everybody already kinda beat me to the punch when it comes to first party games, so I'm gonna list four indie/third party games I want to see to make my post a little more interesting.

1. Pacific Drive - This is a survival-horror game where you drive a car through a supernatural version of the Olympic Peninsula in the Pacific Northwest. The trailers already looked good, but the previews came out a few days ago and they're all glowing. Definitely a project I'm keeping an eye on!

2. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - This is an open world action-adventure game with Soulsborne elements made by a team of phenomenal animators (you probably know them by their Majora's Mask animation). It got rave reviews when it launched a few years ago, and an anniversary update added a bunch of new features to the game since then. Seriously, just look at how good this looks!

3. Valheim - This is a survival crafting game based around Norse mythology. Build a base, explore, fight challenging bosses, repeat. The game got extremely popular in 2021 and had great reviews. The game still isn't out of early access and might not be fully released for some time, so it's probably the least likely of this list to come to Switch 2 during year one, but I still hope it comes eventually!

4. Baldur's Gate 3 - Oh come on, I don't need to explain this one. It won so many awards last year and you've probably seen your friends playing it. It's a turn based RPG set in the Dungeons and Dragons universe. The game got amazing reviews for the freedom it gave to players, stole the spotlight from every single game released around it (RIP Starfield), and is still getting meaningful updates this year. This is probably the most likely game from this list to make it to Switch 2 during year one.

God I want to co-sign this list so bad; if I haven't played it I've heard of it, and if I haven't heard of it the trailer sold me.

Any and all of these would be phenomenal gets for nuSwitch in its first year (heck, even by the end of its second year)

Chibi-Robo: City Living - Chibi-Robo returns in his biggest adventure yet. Chibi-Robo works as a concierge in a large apartment building. His official responsibility is to greet the tenants and keep the main lobby clean. Over time, though, he'll befriend the residents and, impressed by his good work, they may even invite him to visit. Uncover the hidden stories of the strangers living above Chibi-Robo and use his unique talents to assist them in finding their way to happiness. Dormant for years, Chibi-Robo is now fully charged and ready to help!
God I want this so bad, it seems like such a natural evolution to the story especially with an opportunity to have zanier characters (and even reference the daughter from the first Gamecube game now being 20+ years older and having moved out of her parents' house herself)

New Pokemon Stadium - A battle sim that has every Pokemon and mechanic from gens 1-9, the ability to do 2-4 players locally, and a full diet Mario Party mode with tons of minigames and a few boards to connect the minigames.
On the one hand, harder to justify a 3D battle sim when every mainline Pokemon game going forward is gonna be a battle sim...but also, just the idea of Pokemon Mario Party is enough to get me to salivate. Budget $30 or $40 game, remake the old minigames with modern controls and better manueverability, add in another dozen or two new games, and compatibility with Pokemon Home to transfer prizes that can then move to your other gen 8, 9 and future 10 games.

God I want to co-sign this list so bad; if I haven't played it I've heard of it, and if I haven't heard of it the trailer sold me.

Any and all of these would be phenomenal gets for nuSwitch in its first year (heck, even by the end of its second year)

God I want this so bad, it seems like such a natural evolution to the story especially with an opportunity to have zanier characters (and even reference the daughter from the first Gamecube game now being 20+ years older and having moved out of her parents' house herself)

On the one hand, harder to justify a 3D battle sim when every mainline Pokemon game going forward is gonna be a battle sim...but also, just the idea of Pokemon Mario Party is enough to get me to salivate. Budget $30 or $40 game, remake the old minigames with modern controls and better manueverability, add in another dozen or two new games, and compatibility with Pokemon Home to transfer prizes that can then move to your other gen 8, 9 and future 10 games.
The appeal of such a battle sim would be as follows

1) Give a place for all Pokemon and moves to compete, especially if we're gonna keep doing limited rosters of Pokemon like gen 8 & 9.

2) Allow for higher quality animations and graphics since you can largely focus on it, making the game ideal for official vgc competition

3) Allow for people to battle their friends locally on the big tv.

The appeal of such a battle sim would be as follows

1) Give a place for all Pokemon and moves to compete, especially if we're gonna keep doing limited rosters of Pokemon like gen 8 & 9.

2) Allow for higher quality animations and graphics since you can largely focus on it, making the game ideal for official vgc competition

3) Allow for people to battle their friends locally on the big tv.
Don't get me wrong I love the idea, but also I think the practicality is where it's gonna trip over itself. Specifically for competitive battlers will heavily narrow down the market demographic; even if it's only used for VGC tournament organizers to better display on a screen for the audience's benefit.

Plus, if higher quality battle animations are designed for this project, why wouldn't those same animations be ported to the mainline games in question? In fact I'd wager Game Freak would look at the animations they already have in SwSwScarVio and say "Good enough, port it to the battle sim" in order to save costs (for better but mostly for worse). And then of course, the elephant in the room with how to update the game and keep it compatible with future generations without having to re-release it over and over again.

Ideally, I'd sooner want to see Pokemon Home become your battle sim hub that can keep some stock animations for all Pokemon and baked in lighting, and allow you to battle friends in person and online, having the database of all Pokemon and moves, and then spend the efforts on graphics, tech, animations, and story for the mainline games with each generation. If anything, that might then justify the premium subscription cost of using Pokemon Home

Didn't the DS sequel have her in it? Though maybe a new game could act as a replacement/alternate timeline sort of deal, idk I just know I want a new chibi robo super badly.

Didn't the DS sequel have her in it? Though maybe a new game could act as a replacement/alternate timeline sort of deal, idk I just know I want a new chibi robo super badly.
Very possible she was in it and I would have never known; I only ever played the first Gamecube game and it's mindboggling how they never thought to bring the series back to a home console ever since 🙃 Almost as if fans were more excited by the prospect of a BEEG adventure as opposed to a leetle robot

thoughts?
image.png
  • title is not provocative enough; should say something to the effect of "Nintendo is about to RUIN Mario Kart FOREVER"
  • needs at least one shocked gamer face
  • needs a couple of arrows drawn here and there, at least one thing circled or x-ed out in RED
  • replace this image of the Mario brother with a "Sad Mario" image. I've enclosed a few for you to pick from:
mario-sad.png
262.jpg
f2d

thoughts?
image.png
This is a hard one because I feel like Mario Kart currently has the same issue smash does, it’s getting too big for its own good. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe features 96 tracks, 48 characters, 5 battle modes, and an active player base encapsulating millions of people. The next Mario kart cannot be a simple follow up to 8, especially if the switch 2 is backwards compatible, because what reason would people even have to buy a new Mario kart if it barely innovates on the old one they still can play on new hardware? I think a reboot of some kind is necessary, and Nintendo kart would allow for so many new ideas. Completely new mechanics, items, modes, and stages would all happen, and I think it would be different enough from 8 deluxe for people who have that game to buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom