• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a completely possible direct outcome that's still filled with personal wishes? (again, your wishes need to be within realm of possibility).
For me it's:
1st party:
  • new starfox or f-zero - I'm keeping it real, we are not getting both
  • new nintendogs or new rhythm heaven - same logic as above
  • new dk/3d mario
  • oracle of seasons/ages remake à la link's awakening remaster
3rd party:
  • MGRR
  • pizza tower
  • persona 3/4/5 dancing
1st Party:
  • New Pushmo game
  • Windwaker HD and/or Twilight Princess HD
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder DLC
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf HD
  • Metroid Prime 4
3rd Party/Indie:
  • Parkitect Deluxe Edition (this is confirmed to get an announcement early this year)
  • Earthblade (due out this year)
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Hollow Knight Silksong

I have a good felling that SE will eventually re-visit Enix properties, after ignoring them for years. Not only Quintet stuff, but also Produce and Givro stuff too. Soul Blazer trilogy should be on top of the list of games to be re-released, which also should include Givro's EVO and Wonder Project (this was such an interesting title and magazines teased a localization that never came) and Produce's often overlooked Mystic Ark 1-2, The 7th Saga and Brain Lord should follow that. Personally I want Soul Blazer re-release the most and once promised Mystic Ark second.

Let's not forget Mischief Makers is another Enix name Square today chooses to ignore. That was peak Treasure greatness yet it never re-released anywhere. Maybe Limited Run take a look at it after Gex?
ooooohhhhhhhhhh a remaster or sequel to Mischief Makers would be so rad

thoughts?
image.png

Choco had the first post in three hours. Team January it's Team Janover.
It does feel like the January hype and buzz have died off for a while now that we’ve had a lot of small announcements + most everyone is expecting it in February. With Another Code releasing this week I think #TeamJanuary’s hopes are slim - maybe they’ll pull out a win if Nintendo has the Direct on the 31st or something.

It does feel like the January hype and buzz have died off for a while now that we’ve had a lot of small announcements + most everyone is expecting it in February. With Another Code releasing this week I think #TeamJanuary’s hopes are slim - maybe they’ll pull out a win if Nintendo has the Direct on the 31st or something.
This past week was definitely #TeamJanuary’s biggest chance. We had three insiders come out and say they hadn’t heard of anything and then the Mario Vs Donkey Kong trailer dropped which essentially sealed the deal and killed the dream. I wouldn’t rule out Another Code week, but that seems unlikely at this point. Under Night In-Birth II / Apollo Justice week is super unlikely with all of the big games dropping. End of January week is kind of out for similar reasons.

It does feel like the thread opened a little too soon, the hype has kinda slowed to a crawl when compared to past threads.

Direct speculation has been dead for years at this point

second week of February and before TGS, it's like clockwork

with E3 dead summer might be interesting in the future, but this year it'll be all eyes on Switch 2

this thread was always going to feel a bit perfunctory

Direct speculation has been dead for years at this point

second week of February and before TGS, it's like clockwork

with E3 dead summer might be interesting in the future, but this year it'll be all eyes on Switch 2

this thread was always going to feel a bit perfunctory
Yeah, this is true.

However, the thread when Nintendo finally announces the Switch 2 presentation, that time between the date announcement and the event, oh boy it will be fun.

Randomly the video of Easy Allies reacting to the September 13, 2018 Nintendo Direct showed up in my recommendations. What does YouTube knooooow?
That reminds me. The original, iconic Nintendo Switch reveal trailer is still delisted. Given it's rehosted on several other channels, I still very much doubt that was for legal reasons.

Speaking of publishers letting their legacy franchises rot, crazy to think what Take Two can do for NSO:

For N64 they own:
Body Harvest
Space Station Silicon Valley
Army Men Sarge Heroes 1-2
Army Men Air Attack
BattleTanx
BattleTanx Global Assault

BattleTanx was the real shit, though. World of Tanks who? BattleTanx was the game that started all. Just drop them all in the next Direct Take Two.

It does feel like the thread opened a little too soon, the hype has kinda slowed to a crawl when compared to past threads.
I think that’s fine - there was a ton of hype over the new year in general and this thread was great place for it. If it’s a bit quieter for a couple weeks, no biggie. I’m sure we’ll start to hear things and the hype will crank up again sooner rather than later. We’re approaching the financial report if nothing else, and everything surrounding that.

thoughts?
image.png
Idk if this is supposed to be an embed of the video of just a screenshot of the thumbnail, so I can't watch it if it's a video.

Anyways, idk why people would be so against Mario Kart getting more and more Nintendo IPs. The DLC for 8 with Hyrule, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and Excite Bike was awesome. If you throw in Captain Falcon, Kirby (and Dedede, lemme play as Dedede), Samus and Pikachu, there's still going to be like 40 more Mario characters, even if you keep Link and the Villagers. Then make 1 or 2 courses for each, there's still going to be like 3 dozen Mario series courses, and that's not counting DLC which would also add more Mario content. "Taking Mario" out of Mario Kart would literally never happen. The amount of cuts you'd need to do to the roster and the amount of out-of-universe courses and characters you'd need to add to dilute the Mario-ness of the package would be impossible to achieve unless they start to completely ignore the Mario series. They should definitely do more crossovers, it just allows more creative track design, more varied music to be added, hell maybe even unique items like added from other universes, and it's fun to see characters in universes they don't belong in interact with said worlds.

I think that’s fine - there was a ton of hype over the new year in general and this thread was great place for it. If it’s a bit quieter for a couple weeks, no biggie. I’m sure we’ll start to hear things and the hype will crank up again sooner rather than later. We’re approaching the financial report if nothing else, and everything surrounding that.
Yeah the industry in general is still pretty quiet after the holiday, outside of Microsoft. I bet Nintendo will announce their direct in February, and the week of the announcement we will hear whispers and what not

What's a completely possible direct outcome that's still filled with personal wishes? (again, your wishes need to be within realm of possibility).
For me it's:
1st party:
  • new starfox or f-zero - I'm keeping it real, we are not getting both
  • new nintendogs or new rhythm heaven - same logic as above
  • new dk/3d mario
  • oracle of seasons/ages remake à la link's awakening remaster
3rd party:
  • MGRR
  • pizza tower
  • persona 3/4/5 dancing

Fun question!

1st party: paper mario the thousand year door release date. A Metroid prime 4 re-reveal (first revealed for switch, confirmed switch 2 cross gen later this year), a Luigi’s mansion dark moon remaster date, Yoshi’s crafted world switch port, and a Zelda hd dualogy switch port. Some long requested nso games getting added to the service, either dk 64, or diddy kong racing.

Im not expecting any new first party game announcements until the switch successor is revealed later this year

3rd Party:
Mass Effect Legendary edition, Half life collection,
Hi-fi rush and or sea of thieves, rayman 2 hd and or beyond good and evil hd, banjo kazooie xbox ports coming to the switch.

Just saw Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story on the eShop with a Feb. 21st date despite no official announcement. It was shown off in the last direct I think. Might not mean anything though, or might mean DIRECT THIS WEEK.

• Metroid prime 4
  • Rhythm heaven returns
  • NSO updated roadmap
  • Hi Fi rush announced for switch

thoughts?
image.png

Luckily, I have a whole overlong writeup for this sort of topic stashed right over here:

The idea of turning the series into more of a Nintendo Kart or Smash Kart or what have you has never particularly appealed to me. I know, for some people, branching out more into the wider Nintendo universe would be exciting, whether because it might bring in characters they want or it might allow for desired locales to be imported as race tracks, but I find it would be more interesting to delve deeper into the Expanded Donkey Kong Mario Universe and pull from there.

The universe this series is already rooted in contains so much that could yet be incorporated into a still Mario-centric series, elements which would certainly be cast to the side if the focus became Nintendo as a whole -- characters, for instance, that would never make it into Smash Bros. but nevertheless should have their chance to shine--; Mario Kart simply hasn't reached this potential yet.

A Vast Universe
A brief consideration will conjure readily apparent individual characters who have been ignored and would almost certainly be left to languish should the series take a turn into more focus on Nintendo as a whole.

Super Mario
Pauline / Foreman Spike / Nabbit / Captain Toad / Toadsworth / Wart

(Some of these examples, such as Pauline and Foreman Spike, though iconic in the beginnings of the franchise, have waited years in relative obscurity but appear to be making a resurgence, whereas others, such as Nabbit and Captain Toad, are more recent inventions waiting on their big chance, and yet others still, such as Toadsworth and Wart, have fallen more out of favor -- Toadsworth after building a career of appearances, Wart as the big bad of a single game, leaving Toadsworth the more likely contender, both to appear here and to reappear elsewhere.)

It doesn't even require delving particularly deep to discover the vast wealth of potential buried even just beneath the surface. While it might appear the universe in question provides nothing further of value, nothing to be mined for the improvement of Mario Kart itself (a position one might suppose supported by the continuous inclusion of further metal and baby variants of existing characters), even just considering the branches of this Expanded Universe will show there is much that has been ignored, much that would provide value to Mario Kart.

Luigi's Mansion
King Boo* / Professor E. Gadd / Hellen Gravely / Polterpup

(King Boo already holds a slot in Mario Kart but he would now draw more from his Luigi's Mansion appearances, where he has become the recurring villain. E. Gadd has appeared in various Mario-related titles, but remains most tied to Luigi's Mansion. Hellen Gravely is new, but appears poised to become recurring; if King Boo can do it, so can she. And Polterpup. Polterpup is an adorable ghost doggo who I considered would be an interesting surprise with fascinating potential in Smash, but who would almost certainly never make it in.)

Mario RPG
Kammy Koopa / Lady Bow / Vivian / Fawful / Cackletta / Popple

(This began as a separate listing for Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, but these have been combined for ease. I considered the suggestion of Kamek, but Kammy presents her own unique appearance and characterization. Lady Bow is obvious, if we are considering RPG characters, and Vivian is well-received. Fawful makes sense, as a recurring villain, and I had considered whether Cackletta would be included -- eventually determining she should be, so secret shenanigans on the Character Select screen using both her and Bowser can lead to Bowletta --, and Popple seems like a character who could be made use of.)

Of course, the RPGs have no dearth of characters that could be considered, as evidenced by this Mario & Luigi Kart mockup, which draws only from characters who have appeared in [/i]Mario & Luigi[/i], courtesy of Deiji_Zeruda:
Ebhvhl0WkAYtjqi

Donkey Kong
K. Rool / Dixie Kong / Cranky Kong

(K. Rool and Dixie are pretty self-explanatory. Cranky is a crotchety old curmudgeon who rounds out The Geriatric Crew. There are other possibilities, but these are the most likely newcomers, without delving deeper into the series.)

Wario Land/Ware
Captain Syrup / Mona

(For the time being, I have limited this post to one supporting character from each Wario property. Captain Syrup should be in this and other Mario spinoffs by now. Mona is in the WarioWare slot because she already rides around on a motor scooter and has different outfits she can be outfitted with. Also, the obvious choice of Ashley is currently fighting for her spot in Super Smash Bros., though there really isn't anything saying they couldn't both compete in both series.)

Other
Poochy / Viruses

(Poochy, known for appearances in Yoshi's subseries, is an adorable pseudo-doggo-thing who should be given the opportunity to drive a vehicle and feel the wind without needing a window. While I don't tend to be particularly keen on the inclusion of generic enemies, the viruses are exactly the sort of zany addition one might expect, especially as Mario is now able to don his Dr. Mario persona.)

Past Inclusions

This is disregarding, even, such characters as have been in Mario Kart before and could make sense to return, such as Birdo, Petey Piranha, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, King Bob-omb (through his appearance in Tour), et cetera, even Robo Mario.

All this is without even delving too deep into characters available in the universe. More depth, of course, if not achieved through character choice, can be afforded through forms.

Characters of Myriad Forms

As for the baby characters, metal variants, powered-up forms, and other such versions of characters, I would suggest they all be folded into the base form of the character. There would be options for different forms, which would affect handling (metal, baby, and so forth), accessed in one location, and then costumes and such would be accessed separately.

Luigi, for example, would have access to alts such as Gooigi and Mr. L, which would be named as such. Dry Bowser and Meowser would be folded into the base Bowser slot. Rosalina can manifest as the Cosmic Spirit. Yoshi can be yarn. Wario receives Wario Land transformations and his WarioWare look. Peachette is a heavier form of Toadette.

Really, this keeps the Character Select screen looking clean and helps keep players from being overwhelmed by the immediate options, allowing for a quick ability to jump in for those who aren't too particular and the option to select from a number of specific forms for those who have particular desires.

It's important to note that, while these variations might seem like superfluous additions that clutter the Character Select screen, they enjoy more popularity than we denizens of the internet message boards might expect, and, being built largely on the same models and only requiring some "simple" tweaks for gameplay, require less in time and resources. All this works into the idea of collecting them within their own base characters, in that people will want to keep them and their removal won't necessarily allow for much more work elsewhere. Worked well, it can all function for furthering Mario Kart as a celebration of the Mario universe.

Taking Center Stage

Of course, discussions on this topic would be remiss not to include the subject of courses: Mario Kart isn't all racers and nothing else, after all. The courses are an important part of the series' character, and certainly key to the overall gameplay.

A neat element of the series is its ability to flesh out the world through the stages, to explore areas and concepts beyond what is found in other Mario-based games. It's not beholden to worlds that have been seen elsewhere, and when it does visit them it visits them askew. There's no end to the possibilities. Even just considering existing locales, the Mario universe presents unending potential. Take, for instance, the potential of a Bob-omb Battle Zone, weaving around the incoming impact of giant water bombs, or of Boggly Woods, which has barely been explored and could be fashioned into a brilliant and gorgeous setting through which to race. While the Woods would likely be rendered in a typical Mario style, a less specific papercraft course would explore how the paper realms could be used, folding and unfolding all while looking amazing, and it would fit in with a Crafted World or Wooly World from Yoshi. A MicroGame course would keep racers on their toes.

That's not to say there aren't reasons to be interested in what courses based on other series could bring. One could imaging cruising across Hyrule, through the marketplace of Hyrule Castle Town as townspeople dodge out of the way, across the fields dodging cuckoos, diving into Death Mountain -- there's potential there, and I wouldn't be against the possibility of seeing it, but it doesn't negate the endless potential already found in the concepts afforded Mario Kart as it explores Mario's universe.

Courses are, however, one of the more potentially interesting aspects of a theoretical Nintendo Kart, but additional courses from elsewhere in Nintendo's portfolio don't guarantee these new courses will be any more fun, valuable, or well thought out than new Mario-based courses would be.

A continued focus on Mario-related courses also allows both a wider and deeper exploration of the franchise, which plays into the overall tone and feel of the series: a celebration of Mario.

A Celebration of Mario

In the end, Mario Kart is positioned to serve as an exploration and celebration of the Mario universe, and something of that would be lost if it went full-on Nintendo Kart. Little touches, such as Lakitu or music quirks or items or any other such element, all stem from and point to the Mario'verse. This is part of what gives the series its particular character, and while you could change that, any major alterations to such should be carefully weighed and considered.

Instead, I would like to see the series lean more into that exploration and celebration. Reach into further areas of the Mario world to pull in characters and items and courses. Treat individual characters themselves as a celebration, with the choices of alternate forms and costumes. There's still a lot of untapped potential.

But What of those Guests?

Well, I don't see guests from other Nintendo franchises going away anytime soon, but I also don't expect nor want them to become much larger a focus. I would imagine most such guests would originate with EAD/EPD.

Guests
R.O.B. / Isabelle / Link / Inkling / Biff / Olimar / Kirby

(R.O.B. is a link to the olden days of Nintendo history and has seen karting action in the past. Link probably isn't going anywhere -- Champion Link, and other variations, are included as selections --, nor would I expect Isabelle or the Inklings to do so. Biff works as a representative of ARMS, but adhering more to the aesthetic one might expect from Mario Kart and without picking out an actual fighter from the lineup. Olimar, likewise, melds with the aesthetic. Kirby is from outside EAD/EPD, but fits perfectly.)

Other Business

This has all been, essentially, conclusions I've considered posting in previous Mario/Nintendo Kart threads, but never actually got to.

First, to address the question of Samus, I've actually commented on that subject in the past with the proposal of characters that would fit the Mario Kart aesthetic, perhaps, a tad more:
Specifically dachora and etecoon, which we already know can pilot craft. A kart should be no issue.

See, the thing is, Mario sprung forth from Donkey Kong, which means Diddy was well within his rights to play around in what is actually Donkey Kong's expanded universe. As referenced above, Donkey Kong would be considered part of the same universe as Mario.

I would agree with more focus on Nintendo for Smash, though.

Where else are we supposed to fit in all the other Nintendo characters?

Kirby is a super special character who is obtained when you have save data from the new Air Ride game.

But this, this is brilliance.

Alex Roivas can avoid blue shells if she has enough Pargon at her disposal, but she sometimes hallucinate course obstacles herself. Her mummified bike appears to be powered by some eldritch tome nestled in a hand-shaped pedestal.

If Nintendo Kart is the price that must be paid for this, let it be so; give it to me.

Somehow this doesn't seem like the Mario and Luigi one might expect, but you make a strong case -- YOU HAVE BOOST POWER!​

I feel like we're gonna get a relatively tame February Direct (unless they do finally show MP4) and then Twitter normies are going to flip out over the lack of a Switch 2 reveal even though they've never announced hardware in a Direct.

And they'll keep complaining for another month or so until they actually reveal it soon after.

I feel like we're gonna get a relatively tame February Direct (unless they do finally show MP4) and then Twitter normies are going to flip out over the lack of a Switch 2 reveal even though they've never announced hardware in a Direct.

And they'll keep complaining for another month or so until they actually reveal it soon after.
And then when Nintendo does reveal it soon after they'll say Nintendo caved to their pressure as though that schedule wasn't always the plan.

thoughts?
image.png
I think it's highly likely that the next Mario Kart game will have Mario in it. I hope the video creator can feel comforted by that.

More seriously, I'm okay if the core of the series remains Mario. I don't mind additional Nintendo characters being "guest" characters, though, and I liked the approach Mario Kart 8 had where the Nintendo IP courses and racers were saved for DLC. If they repeated that for the next Mario Kart (base game is Mario, DLC brings in guests), I think it'd create a fun Smash-like speculative atmosphere as DLC is announced and released. If the base game covered all of Nintendo, that might invite rethinking all the elements (like items) to be more inclusive of Nintendo's IP, which could mess with a pretty stellar formula.

thoughts?
image.png
The idea of more guest characters, i.e. characters who fit alongside Mario like Link and the AC cast, is fine, but I know there's no such thing as nuance in regards to an idea like this. The announcement of a Mario Kart with more non-Mario Nintendo characters would very quickly snowball into the same annoying character speculation that is the worst part of Smash Bros, and suggestions would leap from something like Kirby to "we gotta have Sonic and Rayman, it can't be a Nintendo Kart without them."

Like, I don't mean to be negative but I just hate Smashs atmosphere and the discussions it and other crossovers create. Mario Kart doesn't need any of that.

We’ll definitely see Paper Mario in the next direct. There’s some thinking we might get new content for it. Any ideas what they might do? I’ve seen an idea for Luigi getting a his own story adventure

Just saw Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story on the eShop with a Feb. 21st date despite no official announcement. It was shown off in the last direct I think. Might not mean anything though, or might mean DIRECT THIS WEEK.
They did the same for Mageseeker too. Before announcing the date officially it appeared on eShop with a date. I guess Riot Forge doesn't think smaller titles should get a ceremonial date reveal...

We’ll definitely see Paper Mario in the next direct. There’s some thinking we might get new content for it. Any ideas what they might do? I’ve seen an idea for Luigi getting a his own story adventure
I keep thinking there’s a great shot of some kind of new story content. I’m pretty torn on new Luigi content even if it is clearly going to be the most requested. Spoilers for a 20 year old game:

The whole Waffle Kingdom joke is there are essentially three different versions of the same story, one by Luigi that exaggerates, accounts by Luigi’s partners that allegedly say what really happens, and then somehow a third novelization version that again exaggerates. I feel like the joke would be ruined / not quite work the way it does if they actually showed it.

I’m kind of hoping for a small epilogue adventure with at least Mario’s group even if I’m not sure what that looks like exactly. I’d most love if it ultimately gave us a few new areas to explore (maybe like two or three chapters worth?).

Going to be very interesting to see what they add.

I keep thinking there’s a great shot of some kind of new story content. I’m pretty torn on new Luigi content even if it is clearly going to be the most requested. Spoilers for a 20 year old game:

The whole Waffle Kingdom joke is there are essentially three different versions of the same story, one by Luigi that exaggerates, accounts by Luigi’s partners that allegedly say what really happens, and then somehow a third novelization version that again exaggerates. I feel like the joke would be ruined / not quite work the way it does if they actually showed it.

I’m kind of hoping for a small epilogue adventure with at least Mario’s group even if I’m not sure what that looks like exactly. I’d most love if it ultimately gave us a few new areas to explore (maybe like two or three chapters worth?).

Going to be very interesting to see what they add.
I’ll be ecstatic for new story stuff and world/area to explore. It could be tied into the game or maybe something separate you click on the menu like Bowsers Fury and Future Connected from XenoblaDE.

I’ll be ecstatic for new story stuff and world/area to explore. It could be tied into the game or maybe something separate you click on the menu like Bowsers Fury and Future Connected from XenoblaDE.
I’d be down for either approach and yeah I was just thinking along the same lines as you it’d be the Bowser’s Fury / Future Connected of Paper Mario TTYD haha.

I didn’t say in my last post, but the reason I am hopeful for something more substantially new is that this isn’t quite like Mario RPG where a whole new developer is handling it. Seemingly it is Intelligent Systems making this remake so if they wanted to add anything to their own game they more easily could.

Paper Luigi and the Marvelous Compass is probably way too much to ask for in a remake.
The new purple Toad with a unique design in Glitz Pit is definitely interesting though, so it'll probably be more than simple boss rematches like SMRPG or a second Pit of 100 Trials like SPM, but I do hope we get those. On the topic of the new NPCs, I have a feeling they'll make the 64 partners have cameos like was originally planned in TTYD.

More badges and buffing some weaker partners would genuinely be the coolest thing this remake could do. Seeing crazy builds in 64 and TTYD is so fun, and I'd also love to see Ms Mowz and Vivian be better. Just make Shade Fist ignore fire resistances so Vivian's not shut down by a bunch of enemies unless you fail the action command of her main attack, and also Veil being buffed to it's 64 equivalent would be amazing.
Mowz needs quite a bit more work but man it'd be cool.

thoughts?
image.png
As a big fan of Nintendo's other racing series that got more love in Mario Kart DLC than it's own "new" entry, I couldn't care less if Captain Falcon made it into Mario Kart.

However I would absolutely LOVE if Mario Kart started reaching into Mario subseries and really becoming an all encompassing love letter to everything under the umbrella. Whether that's the main Mario series, Mario RPGs and other spinoffs, Yoshi games, Donkey Kong games, Luigi's Mansion or Wario games. Most of these have some level of representation in at least one Mario Kart, but it would be nice if the next one actually expanded the representation of these series.
And, y'know, didn't leave Diddy Kong out for a decade.

I’d be down for either approach and yeah I was just thinking along the same lines as you it’d be the Bowser’s Fury / Future Connected of Paper Mario TTYD haha.

I didn’t say in my last post, but the reason I am hopeful for something more substantially new is that this isn’t quite like Mario RPG where a whole new developer is handling it. Seemingly it is Intelligent Systems making this remake so if they wanted to add anything to their own game they more easily could.
Right. If Intelligent Systems is doing it would fit with BF/FT because EPD Tokyo and Monolith Soft worked on those respective games.

I'll put it this way: after seeing how much Funky Kong of all characters gets put on a pedestal in the MK fandom, it's kinda hard for me to take the "Mario Kart should only be about Mario" arguments at face value, prior to MKWii there really wasn't any reason for people to associate Funky Kong with Mario.
Damn I can't believe Nintendo made a crossover movie and a crossover world in Mario Odyssey by having Donkey Kong characters! /s

DK is a part of the larger Mario series, when people say they want Mario Kart to be Mario characters they don't mean getting rid of Donkey Kong and anything that could allude to the fact that Mario spinoffs exist. If anything, the love for Funky Kong is proof there should be more picks like that, characters from sister series/spinoffs that don't get to interact often despite sharing a universe and referencing the fact the games exist constantly.

Honestly at this point, why not introduce more new IP into Mario Kart? The game has been done a bajillion times with only Mario stuff. Let's spice it up and add some more variety same way the new IP in 8 has done. It can still be Mario Kart, the same way Smash Bros isn't all Bros.

Honestly at this point, why not introduce more new IP into Mario Kart? The game has been done a bajillion times with only Mario stuff. Let's spice it up and add some more variety same way the new IP in 8 has done. It can still be Mario Kart, the same way Smash Bros isn't all Bros.
It devalues the uniqueness of Smash Bros. And, imho, things should be allowed to stand on their own, if you do another crossover game it just waters down the identity of the various worlds and characters for the sake of IT'S ALL CONNECTED(TM)

It devalues the uniqueness of Smash Bros. And, imho, things should be allowed to stand on their own, if you do another crossover game it just waters down the identity of the various worlds and characters for the sake of IT'S ALL CONNECTED(TM)
Well, I can't imagine it'd ever get to the level of Smash Bros, especially after Ultimate. 8 Deluxe has already done this quite a bit and I don't think many would consider it causing any kind of devaluation. They don't have to treat new additions like a spectacle the same way Smash does. I mean the characters are just glorified reskins with different weights anyways, whereas they have way more depth in variety in Smash.

For me it's more so a desire for the tracks, as we're always kind of just going through the expectations of "the race track level" and "the highway level" and "the snow level" and "the Bowser level" and "Rainbow road again" every generation we get one of these. Obviously they spice it up every now and then but I think widening the spectrum could allow for some new scenery in a series that's been done so much already.

And it can still remain Mario focused at the end of the day, even with additions like this. I wouldn’t want it to literally become “Smash Kart.” I’m just totally down for more guest characters than we’ve already gotten.

If we're being technical, we already did have a crossover game prior to Ultimate and Sm4sh... that being Project Cross Zone (Developed by Monolith Soft, Published by Bandai Namco). Having something like that return, with a bunch of weird properties from different third-party studios, would be fun. I know they weren't the biggest hits either critically or comercially, but I think the idea has merit and would be fun to see explored.

Idk if this is supposed to be an embed of the video of just a screenshot of the thumbnail, so I can't watch it if it's a video.

Anyways, idk why people would be so against Mario Kart getting more and more Nintendo IPs. The DLC for 8 with Hyrule, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and Excite Bike was awesome. If you throw in Captain Falcon, Kirby (and Dedede, lemme play as Dedede), Samus and Pikachu, there's still going to be like 40 more Mario characters, even if you keep Link and the Villagers. Then make 1 or 2 courses for each, there's still going to be like 3 dozen Mario series courses, and that's not counting DLC which would also add more Mario content. "Taking Mario" out of Mario Kart would literally never happen. The amount of cuts you'd need to do to the roster and the amount of out-of-universe courses and characters you'd need to add to dilute the Mario-ness of the package would be impossible to achieve unless they start to completely ignore the Mario series. They should definitely do more crossovers, it just allows more creative track design, more varied music to be added, hell maybe even unique items like added from other universes, and it's fun to see characters in universes they don't belong in interact with said worlds.
Squid Powerup that let's you go through the ground and leave ink everywhere, maybe a splattershot that does the same. An Arwing or a kirby star that lets you do some flying around the course. There's so much potential and people want a straight up sequel 10 years after the last real game came out lmao. Makes little sense to me.

The whole 'smash bros does a crossover so mario kart can't' doesn't make sense to me either. They already opened the gates by adding inklings, villager and link so I don't know why it's such an issue. It's like saying mario odyssey devalues kirby when they can clearly both coexist. It's not like Mario won't be Nintendo's focus, he's literally their main character.

Mario Kart should absolutely keep the Mario branding and iconography. It should also continue the trend of 8/Deluxe doing crossover stuff with Nintendo IPs. It allows the devs to do very unique courses that wouldn't otherwise fit the Mario IP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom