• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team NSO seem to be the big winners this week with double Golden Sun. I played them for the first time last year, they are ok / solid! Some neat ideas in them even if they are a bit basic.

I know about Nordics, but what's the other one?
I’m guessing they are referring to the Oath in Felghana port from last year.

Ys games definitely get localized but it'll take time. Ys 9 localization was announced 15 months after the Japanese release.

What I'm worried about is the Suikoden Collection. They're taking too much time. I hope the team still on the job and the games drop out of nowhere, preferably on a Direct. AND they reveal 3+4 remasters. Wouldn't be surprising honestly, Konami right now is going remaster crazy.

Ys games definitely get localized but it'll take time. Ys 9 localization was announced 15 months after the Japanese release.

What I'm worried about is the Suikoden Collection. They're taking too much time. I hope the team still on the job and the games drop out of nowhere, preferably on a Direct. AND they reveal 3+4 remasters. Wouldn't be surprising honestly, Konami right now is going remaster crazy.
If they do they better include Suikoden V, that game rules.

I’m with Jason Schreier on this one: They’re going to announce a release date within weeks of Eiyuden Chronicle just out of spite

Team NSO seem to be the big winners this week with double Golden Sun. I played them for the first time last year, they are ok / solid! Some neat ideas in them even if they are a bit basic.

I’m guessing they are referring to the Oath in Felghana port from last year.
Oh, okay! Thanks!

Is Chrono Trigger any good? I’ve never played it and would love to try it on Switch.

@chocolate_supra
dcdcac45-b9d8-4b97-8683-caec42d2c1ef_screenshot.jpg

Is Chrono Trigger any good? I’ve never played it and would love to try it on Switch.

@chocolate_supra
My friend basically forced me to buy the game on Wii Virtual Console (through the Wii U) years ago, we binged it over a weekend and it’s still a game I think about often. I was just listening to the soundtrack tonight again too! It really is amazing.

My long term pipedream with GBA on NSO is that they'll localize Binding Blade so it can be played officially outside Japan for the first time.
but ofc that'll never happen, they'll just remake the game during Switch 2's lifespan :>

Next week, I could bare minimum see something Xenoblade related. It will be small because it will just tie into the Noah and Mio amiibo out next Friday.

Nice little week for Nintendo :

• Launch trailer for Another Code Recollection
  • Video for Mario vs Donkey Kong
  • Golden Sun on the NSO+

Next week, I don't think there will be news from Nintendo ?

• Release of Another Code Recollection
  • Release of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 amiibos

I hope there will be some rumors about Nintendo Direct.

• Golden Sun on the NSO+

Next week, I don't think there will be much ?

There will be the release of Another Code Recollection, the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 amiibos and the Xbox Direct.
Agreed. Plus, one of their typical announcement posts will likely be about Golden Sun 1+2 now being available. Next week feels like it'll just be a lot of talk about the things that are releasing (including Prince of Persia) and maybe some of their reminder posts where they aren't announcing anything but just showcasing a released or upcoming game in a slightly different way (like the Pikmin video today).

I wouldn't mind being wrong, but I'm expecting a quiet week for news.

It’s my fourth favorite game of all time and I’ve beaten it well over 20 times. It’s pretty good :)

My friend basically forced me to buy the game on Wii Virtual Console (through the Wii U) years ago, we binged it over a weekend and it’s still a game I think about often. I was just listening to the soundtrack tonight again too! It really is amazing.

I’ve played it, I was just trying to manifest it on Switch for @chocolate_supra

I think they'll pack Suikoden V with Suikoden Tactics for a third collection. IF the 3+4 sells well. I have no doubt that it will, as long as it's on Switch.
That'd be weird, Suikoden Tactics should be with Suikoden 4 considering how deeply connected the two games are narratively. Yes, I realize all the Suikoden games are connected narratively, but Suikoden 4 and Tactics take place 150 years before the events of Suikoden 1-3/5.

Week 3 - What four games would you like to see most in Year 1 for Switch 2 and why? You can pick either realistic or dream guesses.

For my own answer, a new 3D Mario and Metroid Prime 4 are definitely my top two. It’s been far too long since Odyssey and certainly too long since Prime 3 so I really want these two games to be there ideally at launch. I’d also like to a see a Definitive Edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch 2 in year 1 that adds a significant amount of new story and perhaps a new area to explore somehow. With the trilogy done, I really want to get back to Mira and open world Xenoblade and I think a Definitive Edition done right would really be a showpiece for the system. For my fourth and final pick, I’m going to pick a new Advance Wars game. It won’t be a graphical showcase I imagine, but it’s something that done right I’d be playing for years to come.
I would pick somewhat realistic titles to make it more interesting:
  • 3D Donkey Kong: It is time, both for the franchise to return and for a brand-new 3D entry. It has been too long and I wanna see on what Nintendo comes up with with the IP.
  • Valkyria Chronicles 5: The 4rth entry was a great return to form and I think it did decently enough for us to get a new one. One game from the Empire's perspective could be a nice shakeup, given that the gameplay is excellent already.
  • Dragon Quest XII: This could be a stretch but there is a chance given that it has been quite a while. DQ is probably my favorite third party series and I am ready for a new entry. They absolutely MUST keep it turn-based though: do NOT make the mistake Final Fantasy did.
  • Brand new 2D Zelda: It has been more than a decade since an original one and it is an absolute pity because they tend to be very good to say the least (majority of them). I know there are speculations of remakes but I believe Grezzo has proven capable enough to develop a new one.

• Golden Sun on the NSO+

Next week, I don't think there will be news from Nintendo ?

• Release of Another Code Recollection
  • Release of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 amiibos

I hope there will be some rumors about Nintendo Direct.
I guess were getting a Mini Mini Direct so far lol

I will take it!

The weekly question made me realize I kinda don't wish for any games.
There are cases where I want games that have been announced but haven't come out like Prime 4 or Silksong, but I don't have any dream games.

Sure, a new Mario game is always welcome. And I guess I do want a Kid Icarus Uprising remake since I've sold my 3DS a long time ago but enjoyed that game a lot.

Week 3 - What four games would you like to see most in Year 1 for Switch 2 and why? You can pick either realistic or dream guesses.
Metroid Prime 4: I mean we're waiting since 2017 for that one, it's definitely time!! It's gonna be a launch window title for Switch 2 for sure, definitely gonna be highlighted in its reveal trailer and get a meaty trailer on the reveal event showing how good it'll look on the next hardware. I'll gladly play that one as close to release as possible on my OG Switch tho!!;

A new 3D Super Mario game: it'll be 7 years since Odyssey came out when it(presumably) comes this holiday season. I've been on team Odyssey 2 is real until the very end, but I just can't wait to see what they've been cooking for so long and how stellar it'll look on new hardware. I can't even imagine the concept they'll go for. Time travel? Multiple layers? Full open world? That's the trailer or 5 sec clip I'm most excited to see!!;

Mario Kart Next: Mario Kart 8 is almost turning 10 and that's wild. It was the perfect Mario Kart and I can't wait to see how they'll top it. What's gonna be the new mechanic, what will be the roster, how it's gonna be called and of course the graphics that surely will not disappoint;

A new 2D Zelda: come on, Link's Awakening came out in 2019 and the last new game in 2013(!!), it's about time!! I can see it coming just before Switch 2 tho depending on when that comes. Most likely cross gen too;

A new Donkey Kong game: it's been awhile since the hirings for a 2D action game in Tokyo were made, I think 2024 is the time the monkey will come back;

Astral Chain 2: I simply loved the first game and it definitely deserves a sequel. There are those patents for a couple years ago that to me made clear it was already being worked on. I can't wait to see how they'll follow the story and how great it'll look, seeing the first is already one of the best looking Switch games.

Grezzo didn't work on the Super Mario RPG Remake, right? I wonder where they've been since Miitopia....
Hopefully a new IP. Switch's new IP lineup is one of the worst in Nintendo history (just four!), even this late in its lifetime, it needs more. Koichi Ishii can create great action RPG's, Nintendo should assign him to create some new stuff.

Hopefully a new IP. Switch's new IP lineup is one of the worst in Nintendo history (just four!), even this late in its lifetime, it needs more. Koichi Ishii can create great action RPG's, Nintendo should assign him to create some new stuff.
Unfortunately, the last two new IP they did (Ever Oasis and Jet Dragon) disappointed financially. I want to see them port Ever Oasis to Switch to give it a second life.

Unfortunately, the last two new IP they did (Ever Oasis and Jet Dragon) disappointed financially. I want to see them port Ever Oasis to Switch to give it a second life.
Not their fault, Nintendo chose to not market the games that came late in 3DS's life. Today's Nintendo is not same as 3DS Nintendo, whatever Grezzo has they'll push it hard. Depends on the game, it can hit 1m with enough publicity.

We seriously need some new IP's. Way too many Mario games on the horizon.

Our first two weeks of this thread have flown by and while we of course can’t rule anything out as Nintendo has a regular degree of unpredictability in their actions, after this week of speculation it seems we are getting a clearer consensus on when to expect the next Nintendo Direct! Before this week’s discussion question, the only greater thread business I want to touch on is we did have a fun new poll this past week. It will close somewhere on Friday night or on Saturday and be replaced with a new poll given it was tied to this week specifically. While inspiration may strike, I’ll just say if you have suggestions for fun polls that can garner 300+ votes by all means share them in thread. I do read every post here even when it gets wild :) Onto this week’s question then!

For my own answer, a new 3D Mario and Metroid Prime 4 are definitely my top two. It’s been far too long since Odyssey and certainly too long since Prime 3 so I really want these two games to be there ideally at launch. I’d also like to a see a Definitive Edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch 2 in year 1 that adds a significant amount of new story and perhaps a new area to explore somehow. With the trilogy done, I really want to get back to Mira and open world Xenoblade and I think a Definitive Edition done right would really be a showpiece for the system. For my fourth and final pick, I’m going to pick a new Advance Wars game. It won’t be a graphical showcase I imagine, but it’s something that done right I’d be playing for years to come.
1. 3d Mario. Probably the most likely to see but I want one that improves on it but is a true successor to what I loved from 64, galaxy and odyssey.

2. Metroid Prime 4. I’m sure this explains itself.

3. New Star Fox. It’s been a long time since Star Fox, it slipped the switch and I would love for it to return, whether be a remake or a new game entirely.

4. New Donkey Kong. We are overdue for one and I think the switch 2 launch would be a good time to get one.

Really curious on how the renders will look like for Thousand Year Door. Paper Mario hasn’t looked like that in a long time. Maybe they’ll just keep it Origami-King styled anyway

Really curious on how the renders will look like for Thousand Year Door. Paper Mario hasn’t looked like that in a long time. Maybe they’ll just keep it Origami-King styled anyway
I feel like they'll probably do a Sticker Star thing with how the characters are layered, but looking more like paper this time, cause the Sticker Star renders almost look like felt, even though it's trying to be construction paper.
PMSSMario.png

I feel like they'll probably do a Sticker Star thing with how the characters are layered, but looking more like paper this time, cause the Sticker Star renders almost look like felt, even though it's trying to be construction paper.
PMSSMario.png
Thank you for the content warning before Sticker Star material. What sicko made that game.
/j

I will be deleting the current poll shortly as I plan to launch a new one either later tonight or later this weekend when I have time. While I won’t be fully recording the results like last time since I just let it run through the week where people could change votes as things happened, I do want to thank the 278 voters we had for participating! Seeing each of the options, both serious and silly, fill in with names is good fun. While I didn’t keep track of who was there before it happened, Team NSO were definitely the big winners this week with the double Golden Sun announcement. It even made a local news station lol. Also shoutout to the non-video game Nintendo announcement that gives no insight a Direct whatsoever team who got their WarioWare refrigerator magnets haha.

Now at the end of Pivotal Week, the January Direct dreams look to likely be over, but with how this week shook out the consensus currently seems like we’ll be getting a Direct in early February so that’s exciting. The situation of course remains fluid and we’ll keep watching for signs as we enter Another Code week. Let’s enjoy a chill weekend of speculation ahead :)

Our first two weeks of this thread have flown by and while we of course can’t rule anything out as Nintendo has a regular degree of unpredictability in their actions, after this week of speculation it seems we are getting a clearer consensus on when to expect the next Nintendo Direct! Before this week’s discussion question, the only greater thread business I want to touch on is we did have a fun new poll this past week. It will close somewhere on Friday night or on Saturday and be replaced with a new poll given it was tied to this week specifically. While inspiration may strike, I’ll just say if you have suggestions for fun polls that can garner 300+ votes by all means share them in thread. I do read every post here even when it gets wild :) Onto this week’s question then!

Everybody already kinda beat me to the punch when it comes to first party games, so I'm gonna list four indie/third party games I want to see to make my post a little more interesting.

1. Pacific Drive - This is a survival-horror game where you drive a car through a supernatural version of the Olympic Peninsula in the Pacific Northwest. The trailers already looked good, but the previews came out a few days ago and they're all glowing. Definitely a project I'm keeping an eye on!

There are a lot of ways you could describe Pacific Drive, I think. It's sort of an extraction looter, in which you tumble into horrible worlds and try to emerge with something worth stealing. It's sort of a blend of Roadside Picnic, the novel about scavengers who explore a strange area of wilderness that's been thoroughly messed up by passing aliens, and My Summer Car, the Steam outsider art classic about building and maintaining a real junker and then tooling it through the woods. These are all fine ways of approaching the game, but for me it's much simpler - and much more thrilling. Pacific Drive is a series of bad things waiting to happen to you. Let's make this clear: it's a science fiction game at heart. You cobble together an old station wagon and then drive it through the Zone, an expansive chunk of the Pacific North-West that has been rendered uninhabitable through secret government experiments. But often, and, I would argue, when the game's at its most horribly lovable, you get these off-the-cuff setpieces that are just built from accidents and unintended consequences.

2. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - This is an open world action-adventure game with Soulsborne elements made by a team of phenomenal animators (you probably know them by their Majora's Mask animation). It got rave reviews when it launched a few years ago, and an anniversary update added a bunch of new features to the game since then. Seriously, just look at how good this looks!

From the moment Kena’s staff ignites with magnificent magic, the world around her sizzles with excitement, creating an enchanting atmosphere for one of the best adventure games I’ve played in recent memory. Kena: Bridge of Spirits is Ember Lab’s debut game, but it hits with the sophistication and beauty you’d expect from a studio that’s been doing this for decades.

With environmental puzzles around almost every bend and secrets waiting for those who can solve them, Bridge of Spirits has a strong heart for adventuring. That heart constantly pounds as new areas are discovered, each beat pulling you in different directions to unearth hidden treasures and items that will help rejuvenate a fallen society.

3. Valheim - This is a survival crafting game based around Norse mythology. Build a base, explore, fight challenging bosses, repeat. The game got extremely popular in 2021 and had great reviews. The game still isn't out of early access and might not be fully released for some time, so it's probably the least likely of this list to come to Switch 2 during year one, but I still hope it comes eventually!

Emerging from the mists to take the survival crafting genre by storm, much like the viking warriors it draws inspiration from, Valheim manages to spin a formula we've all seen plenty of times into something more like uncharted territory – even in Early Access. Whether I'm sailing the shimmering seas on my sturdy ship or delving deep into dim dungeons in search of treasure, the challenging combat, endearing art style, and moody soundtrack create a delightful and thrilling world to inhabit. It's guilty of becoming a bit grindy, especially later on, but the rewarding exploration and memorable encounters with its various dangers help give all that busywork meaning.

4. Baldur's Gate 3 - Oh come on, I don't need to explain this one. It won so many awards last year and you've probably seen your friends playing it. It's a turn based RPG set in the Dungeons and Dragons universe. The game got amazing reviews for the freedom it gave to players, stole the spotlight from every single game released around it (RIP Starfield), and is still getting meaningful updates this year. This is probably the most likely game from this list to make it to Switch 2 during year one.

Baldur's Gate 3 pushes player freedom to the absolute limit. That unparalleled level of freedom can be found in nearly every aspect of the game, from its character creation to combat, and after two full playthroughs and a dozen ongoing campaigns, I've still barely scratched the surface. No two experiences are alike, and every character I've created feels unique. While the game can't always keep up with the spontaneity of a real-life Dungeon Master, it manages to offer plenty of agency while also ensuring that its vast, web-like narrative is compelling from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom