• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Switch Presentation's reception was primarily due to two factors: leaks/rumors and the presentation itself

Rumors before the Switch presentation were wild. Everyone was predicting a blowout in the launch window, with Zelda, 3D Mario, Splatoon, and the fabled Pokémon Stars all at once (or at least very close to each other). When the presentation came and the launch lineup was just Zelda and 1-2 Switch, some people were underwhelmed. The lack of a bundle with Zelda or 1-2 Switch rubbed even more salt in the wound when most at the time were predicting bundle pricing for the system at $250 USD. I remember Arlo making a video afterward about his theory of a "soft launch" strategy, the wording of which seems kind of silly to look back on now, but that was the consensus on it for a time.

Then the way they handled the presentation itself just wasn't as exciting as it could have been. It was riddled with awkward jokes and speeches and poor translation (especially during the Suda51 segment). The focus on the Joy-Con gimmicks and casual games like 1-2 Switch and ARMS as the first games shown also rubbed people the wrong way. Nowadays Nintendo would make sure to open with a heavy hitter to set the mood, but they didn't then.
Yeah I get all that, it’s just weird looking back because the lineup was that good. Like if a direct came out now with a brand new 3D Mario, brand new Monolith game, and exciting as fuck Zelda trailer I feel like a lot of people would call it the best direct of all time, and that’s what the presentation was lol.

2017 in general is looked back on as a great year for Nintendo, and the Switch presentation ended up encapsulating that very well, I think.

It's kind of hilarious how we've talked more about what comes after the Direct instead of the actual Direct in the dedicated Nintendo Direct thread lol

It's kind of hilarious how we've talked more about what comes after the Direct instead of the actual Direct in the dedicated Nintendo Direct thread lol
Kind of in uncharted territory (although I guess we were last year as well) where we don’t know if it makes sense to announce new games for Switch or hold off for the next system reveal.

Kind of in uncharted territory (although I guess we were last year as well) where we don’t know if it makes sense to announce new games for Switch or hold off for the next system reveal.
I just think it's kinda funny, given the history of Direct threads. The hype for the next Direct feels extremely muted.

I mean we could get enough for a full direct. Peach game, Luigi’s mansion 2, Mario vs DK, and TTYD remake all need trailers, we could get another shadow drop remaster, series like rhythm heaven and fire emblem could absolutely get new games slated for summer/ spring, and in terms of a closer I don’t see why Nintendo couldn’t reveal a single switch 2 game early if need be (or they could, you know, reveal prime 4)

I mean we could get enough for a full direct. Peach game, Luigi’s mansion 2, Mario vs DK, and TTYD remake all need trailers, we could get another shadow drop remaster, series like rhythm heaven and fire emblem could absolutely get new games slated for summer/ spring, and in terms of a closer I don’t see why Nintendo couldn’t reveal a single switch 2 game early if need be (or they could, you know, reveal prime 4)
My realistic (to me at least) predictions for the Direct look like this:
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder: Golden Isles DLC (split into two parts, two new areas with ten or so levels each, first part is shadowdropped with the other coming this summer).
  • New Pushmo game. It's time goddammit. At least port Pushmo World over from the Wii U! Releases late February.
  • Splatoon 3: Side Order releases with the next Splatoon 3 season on March 1st.
  • Ever Oasis HD. I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Grezzo has been absent for a while. Releases in July.
  • F-Zero GX Remastered. Takes advantage of the attention that F-Zero 99 got. Releases in April.
  • Windwaker HD gets shadowdropped. Physical in April.
  • Paper Mario Thousand Year Door releases in May.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD releases in June.
Then it's just a bunch of third party and indie stuff (hopefully including the leaked Parkitect Console Edition). No huge announcements and Windwaker HD actually closes the Direct.

Last edited:
My realistic (to me at least) predictions for the Direct look like this:
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder: Golden Isles DLC (split into two parts, two new areas with ten or so levels each, first part is shadowdropped with the other coming this summer)
  • New Pushmo game. It's time goddammit. At least port Pushmo World over from the Wii U! Releases late February.
  • Splatoon 3: Side Order releases with the next Splatoon 3 season on March 1st.
  • Ever Oasis HD. I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Grezzo has been absent for a while. Releases in July
  • F-Zero GX Remastered. Takes advantage of the attention that F-Zero 99 got. Releases in April.
  • Windwaker HD gets shadowdropped. Physical in April.
  • Paper Mario Thousand Year Door releases in May.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD releases in June.
Then it's just a bunch of third party and indie stuff (hopefully including the leaked Parkitect Console Edition). No huge announcements and Windwaker HD actually closes the Direct.
Windwaker HD without twilight princess? I have a feeling they are getting released together when they inevitably get rereleased. Also I forgot to mention we should be getting a new NSO roadmap soon

Windwaker HD without twilight princess? I have a feeling they are getting released together when they inevitably get rereleased. Also I forgot to mention we should be getting a new NSO roadmap soon
It's because of the shadowdrop aspect of it. I don't think they'll both shadowdrop at the same time, and if it's priced fairly (maybe 40 dollars?) I don't think anyone would mind.

As for NSO, I think they'll hold a lot of stuff back for Switch 2 launch to give the subscription system a boost.

Yeah I get all that, it’s just weird looking back because the lineup was that good. Like if a direct came out now with a brand new 3D Mario, brand new Monolith game, and exciting as fuck Zelda trailer I feel like a lot of people would call it the best direct of all time, and that’s what the presentation was lol.

2017 in general is looked back on as a great year for Nintendo, and the Switch presentation ended up encapsulating that very well, I think.
Yeah, it puts it into perspective how much of a different situation Nintendo was in back then. The Wii U era was a catastrophic failure for Nintendo, and 2016 was probably the company's worst year in history. Coming right off of that, pretty much everyone was highly doubtful of the Switch, and even a great software lineup like that was met with hesitance. Remember when Kimishima said he expected the Switch to outsell the Wii in its lifetime, and everyone was like "lmao yeah right"? Seems quaint in hindsight, but back then, Nintendo delivering on a Wii level success, let alone exceeding that level of success, seemed like pure fantasy. They have so much more momentum nowadays, it's like night and day.

Last edited:
I'm gonna take a stand and say I don't think Metroid Prime 4 is for the Switch successor. The reboot was publically announced in early 2019 which would mean they started development
In late 2018--way too early for the Switch successor. It might have some cross-gen support but in the same way all Switch games may have some general upscale cross-gen support.

I think it's a safe bet for a winter direct closer, which will be the last direct for the Switxu before the successornis announces later this summer.

I'm gonna take a stand and say I don't think Metroid Prime 4 is for the Switch successor. The reboot was publically announced in early 2019 which would mean they started development
In late 2018--way too early for the Switch successor. It might have some cross-gen support but in the same way all Switch games may have some general upscale cross-gen support.

I think it's a safe bet for a winter direct closer, which will be the last direct for the Switxu before the successornis announces later this summer.
Most games get pushed to new system if it is within that timeframe. Luigi's Mansion 3 was pushed to Switch from Wii U for example.

It's funny in retrospect to see how people thought the Switch's success hinged on 1-2-Switch. I remember people thinking the lack of a bundle with 1-2-Switch was spelling doom for the console.
Yeah people thought Nintendo was offerings on it being the next Wii Sports, when in reality it was just a cute little side project/tech demo they decided to throw out at launch. In all fairness though, the amount of emphasis Nintendo put on it in the presentation didn’t help.

1-2 Switch never made sense as a pack in anyways. It’s a poor showcase for the systems capabilities since it only focuses on the Joy-Con and not the actual premise of TV vs Off-TV Play. Not to mention its multiplayer only, while Wii Sports and Nintendo Land both had fairly expansive single player offerings.

Most games get pushed to new system if it is within that timeframe. Luigi's Mansion 3 was pushed to Switch from Wii U for example.

Not sure what time frame you are referring to. Metroid Prime's development time after the reboot will have been longer than the entire Wii U's lifespan. Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 was never announced for Wii U like MP4 has been for the Switch.

Tbf, Breath of the Wild started development in 2012, almost immediately after Skyward Sword came out and the Wii U wasn't even released yet. There's reason to believe that a Switch 2 port of Prime 4 is in the works in tandem with the Switch 1 version.

Come on January Direct… I got a feeling!

0bc97f265ec3356f12c529670c1efcf6.gif

Not sure what time frame you are referring to. Metroid Prime's development time after the reboot will have been longer than the entire Wii U's lifespan. Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 was never announced for Wii U like MP4 has been for the Switch.
We've had such a great run on the Switch with different franchises, I think they genuinely will just hold Prime 4 till the Switch 2 and do a Cross Gen release
And just Uber polish it until its time

Tbf, Breath of the Wild started development in 2012, almost immediately after Skyward Sword came out and the Wii U wasn't even released yet. There's reason to believe that a Switch 2 port of Prime 4 is in the works in tandem with the Switch 1 version.

BotW features very few improvements on the Switch relative to the WiiU. People want cross-gen games to have

-Higher texture resolution
-Higher display resolution and TAA (DLSS in the Switch 2's case)
-Better framerate (if needed)
-Less aggressive Level of Details
-Shorter load times
-HDR
-Better texture filtering
-Higher reflection resolution
-More accurate real time global illumination

I would assume Prime 4 would feature most or all of these on Switch 2, but if it's just like... playable on the Switch 2 with slightly better performance than the Switch 1... Wouldn't really count that as cross-gen.

Anyway I (thought I) had a good run with my Jan 4th/1st Thursday prediction. Time to pass the January announcement baton off to someone else.

Everyone replying “the internet would explode”… well, this is probably what it’s going to be! Or at least, not too far removed from this.

The Switch presentation (that a bunch of people hated and I still don’t get why…) had Odyssey’s official reveal, THAT final BotW trailer, Xenoblade 2 first reveal. Like it was a very fucking exciting lineup, and I expect the same for the Switch 2’s first presentation.

Compared to the Switch 1 presentation, Prime 4 will probably sub in for Zelda (even then I still could see a Zelda port or remake) and next MK could sub in for ARMS
Damn, you just reminded me that I'm still not counting out an OoT remake within like the first two years of the Switch 2 lol

Nintendo isn’t moving past directs. There are no alternatives unless you want them to go back to newspaper or make announcements on TikTok lol. It’s a proven concept with Directs and it’s the most direct way to speak to your audience online. They have no reason to move past that. Directs give the announcements and other social media platforms are used to dole out the information from the Directs.
Sorry, I just saw this now or I'd have responded earlier. I want to make it clear that I don't want them to move past Directs. Like you said, I think they're a fantastic marketing method and accomplish everything they need it to. They attract tons of hype and I personally love them... if you look through my post history, you'll notice I spend 95% of my time on Fami over the last two years in Direct Speculation threads. Directs are super hype for me, lol, sorry if there was any misunderstanding... sometimes I wonder if I'm more hyped for the Directs than the games themselves, lmao.

I was more so posing a hypothetical by wondering if Nintendo's desire for innovation and unpredictably would cause them to move away from Directs... not saying what I want to happen. But yeah, I totally agree with you that Directs are a wonderful marketing tool and I hope you're right that Nintendo won't move away from them.

peak koizumi character arc
I think Koizumi is my favourite "public figure" at Nintendo currently. By "public figure" (I don't know what other term to use) I'm talking about commonly-recognized higher-ups like Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Doug Bowser.

Anyway, I don't know why, but Koizumi just has this friendliness and joyfulness around him that I can sense anytime he's on camera. I love his story-driven work in games like Super Mario Galaxy and I think he did great work on Odyssey and the Nintendo Switch. There's also this video of him playing 1-2 Switch at the console launch with a little boy, and it's just the most adorable thing ever.

Don't get me wrong, I like Shinya Takahashi on Directs too, but man... every time Koizumi is the presenter, I always get even MORE hype.

I think it goes to show what a big difference pacing makes. The trailers you're talking about probably sum up to less than 10 minutes of an hour+ presentation. The cringey skits, awkward translations and empty talk really tainted the presentation in people's minds. Directs by comparison are brisk and light on filler. Nintendo's come a long way in fine tuning their presentations

Legit idk what will be the most hype game for Switch 2

Imagine, just imagine we see all these games for the first time in a Switch 2 presentation

-Metroid Prime 4
-3D Mario
-Mario Kart X
-New Monolith Soft game
If you really want the internet to explode, add in a third party trailer for some really hype IP/character, and then randomly in the middle it suddenly pivots to a Smash reveal. Smash cut to Sakurai: “Surprised?”

If you really want the internet to explode, add in a third party trailer for some really hype IP/character, and then randomly in the middle it suddenly pivots to a Smash reveal. Smash cut to Sakurai: “Surprised?”
a long smash marketing campaign like brawls would be fun. it would keep people tuning into every direct from the beginning too. smash just gets the people going

I think Koizumi is my favourite "public figure" at Nintendo currently. By "public figure" (I don't know what other term to use) I'm talking about commonly-recognized higher-ups like Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Doug Bowser.

Anyway, I don't know why, but Koizumi just has this friendliness and joyfulness around him that I can sense anytime he's on camera. I love his story-driven work in games like Super Mario Galaxy and I think he did great work on Odyssey and the Nintendo Switch. There's also this video of him playing 1-2 Switch at the console launch with a little boy, and it's just the most adorable thing ever.

Don't get me wrong, I like Shinya Takahashi on Directs too, but man... every time Koizumi is the presenter, I always get even MORE hype.
koizumi worked on stuff that are my fav memories: mario galaxy, rosalina and the switch. he's the goat of nintendo 🤩

twitter and youtube may crash that day LMAO

I still want a Splatoon tactical RPG like XCom, think it’s an IP that would work well for it. Give me that rather than go straight to Splat4
They haven't even done this with Fire Emblem yet.

Would be my preferred route for that series. or a Spinoff. I want macro/meta progression!!!

I still want a Splatoon tactical RPG like XCom, think it’s an IP that would work well for it. Give me that rather than go straight to Splat4
It's actually kinda wild imo that we haven't gotten any Splatoon spin-offs yet

I'd definitely be down for a Splatoon tactics game of some kind (maybe call it Spla-Tactics?)

I'm a little surprised we haven't had a Splatoon spinoff, yet, with how popular it's gotten since its debut on the Wii U in 20- oh my God, Splatoon is almost 10 years old........

I think you talk too much about Switch 2.

Nothing indicates that its announcement is imminent, yet. It's highly likely that the next Direct will be dedicated exclusively to Switch.

So....

For the next Direct, we can see :

• Princess Peach Showtime!
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Fire Emblem 4
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Splatoon 3 : Side Order
I would very happy with this :D I hope we will see a Donkey Kong but there are no solid rumors, for now. I think it will be announced later in cross-gen.

I can't see Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD either. No rumors, just fans dreaming about it.

On the third-party side, I'm not expecting much, apart from well-known games like Unicorn Overlord or games like Dragon Quest 3.

Here's the thing - Switch NEEDED BOTW at launch, Switch 2 most likely having 3D Mario/Mario Kart or something big like that at launch + general success of the Switch means... Switch 2 doesn't really need Prime 4, but they do need to keep the software coming for the regular Switch during the cross gen period and they can't have a year without a "big" holiday Switch 1 game, and that is most likely Prime 4, and as a bonus, it will also play on Switch 2 (but I don't think it will get a meaningful upgrade).

Here's the thing - Switch NEEDED BOTW at launch, Switch 2 most likely having 3D Mario/Mario Kart or something big like that at launch + general success of the Switch means... Switch 2 doesn't really need Prime 4, but they do need to keep the software coming for the regular Switch during the cross gen period and they can't have a year without a "big" holiday Switch 1 game, and that is most likely Prime 4, and as a bonus, it will also play on Switch 2 (but I don't think it will get a meaningful upgrade).
I hadn’t thought of this but it makes sense

One Switch 2 exclusive (Mario) and one cross gen (either MP4 or Donkey Kong) for the holiday

Hmm My prediction:
Launch: 3D Mario
Month 2/3: Metroid Prime 4 (people will be hungry for a new game)
Holiday: Mario Kart (big casual IP)

You heard it here first folks.

My major question is if Nintendo had anything major (other than like a Zelda remake) for pre-September 2024, why would they show TTYD instead for their September 2023 major announcement?

TTYD was basically complete yeah and is probably releasing in Q2, but this could have been announced in February 2024 and released May 2024 with no problem. They immediately stopped promoting the game after the September Direct in fact, lol. It felt like really poor timing that kind of took the wind out of SMRPG's sails because the two games are similar just... TTYD is better, lol.

I did predict a AA (bordering on AAA) StarFox game for this Direct, but now I'm doubting that again, lol.

Maybe just an OoT 3Ds remaster and Mario Sluggers Switch and other small games for this Direct.

If they do have a major game for Spring or Summer 2024 other than TTYD, then I really question announcing TTYD in September instead of February.

most likely Prime 4, and as a bonus, it will also play on Switch 2 (but I don't think it will get a meaningful upgrade).

I think it’s the mostly likely Switch game to be cross gen and with a meaningful upgrade on the new hardware. I think it would already have been revealed if not. If it doesn’t show in the Feb Direct then that would basically confirm it for me.

I think you talk too much about Switch 2.
It's casting a pretty big shadow over the potential content of any Direct, and this is the Direct thread, so...?
Nothing indicates that its announcement is imminent
Except for the stuff that indicates an announcement could be imminent. Have you been following the Future Hardware thread or Shareholder Chad's follow-the-money thread?

says the person whose most posts or threads are about how much you don't want the Switch 2

let the pope talk about the switch 2 in the direct thread it won;t hurt none

I'm still very happy with Switch but I never said I didn't want the Switch 2.

And there's already two threads dedicated to Switch 2... And there will probably be an another thread when Nintendo will announce Switch 2.

Don't me wrong, I totally understand the excitement ! But it's sad to see the Switch totally overshadowed..... I think the Switch still has a lot of great things for us :)

Last edited:
Things that indicate the Switch 2 will be announced soon

-the Switch is 7 years old
-it has no notable announced software other than maybe Prime 4
-its holiday sales last year were bad

If Nintendo doesn’t do a successor this year, HW sales will probably collapse to 9m next fiscal year which would be the worst number in at least 20 years for them.

I wish for a release on the next direct

i guess their contract with apple ran out. it's not required for a game to be removed from apple arcade before being ported to other platforms but i guess there's a slightly higher chance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom