• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
DK is for people that are good at platformers, Mario is for everyone... which is why I personally prefer the latter by a wide margin :LOL:

That aside, I'm not sure if we'll see any more of DK this year apart rom the Mario vs Donkey Kong remake. Maybe some VC-release, DK64 seems overdue. Mainly because I'm just not sure who would have developed a new game coming out this year, Retro is busy with Prime 4, the one Mario team just released Wonder and the other was probably busy to get a new 3D Mario out around launch of the new console. Maybe some wild card... or we're getting a new 3D DK for launch window of the new console :D
The rumor is EPD is making it + plus they were hiring for a 2D game years ago, which isn’t related to Mario Wonder.

Here’s a quote from Nate

It's been a mess, unfortunately. I don't blame anyone in the thread who shared information, as most was done clearly and only gave general details about concept, scope and vision of the project. I've seen reports get the dates wrong, assume Nintendo took over the project, assume platform, launch timing, genre type, and so much more inaccurate information.

As I posted earlier in the thread: the core facts are -- VV had worked on a DK years ago, was cancelled. Nintendo is making a DK now.
VV worked on a DK game, but Nintendo is making a DK game now.

DKC6 from EPD Tokyo would be good, but still rooting for Yoshi's Island 2 (or Mario Maker 3 if they're doing that for some reason, lol)

Also, VV definitely never touched a DK game as that doesn't make any sense.

My guess is the games we know Nintendo are working on from leaks/rumors like FE4 Remake and DK are Switch 1 titles, as security around them is probably less strict then around Switch 2 development.

Last edited:
The Xenoblade trademark is likely related to the Noah and Mio amiibos.
Also, we might be getting a Mario Warriors game due to Grubb hearing about that again recently.

Well next year its Marios 40th anniversary.

And maybe they are working with Koei-Tecmo to make a Musou with lots of tributes and references of various 2D/3D Mario games for September 2025 as its big anniversary game.

My guess is the games we know Nintendo is working on from leaks/rumors like FE4 Remake and DK are Switch 1 titles, as security around them is probably less strict then around Switch 2 development.

There are no strong rumors about DK (Nate's rumor about VV working on DK makes no sense and causes the entire rumor to be seem untrustworthy). The only thing we know is that EPD Tokyo is working on a 2D platformer and DK is the most popular 2D platformer from Nintendo other than Mario.

Prime 4 also should be the leakiest game from Nintendo (as a billion art support studios are probably working on it), but there's been nothing and it's been weird.

Both of these rumors are also from 2021 and there's been no updates since 2021 so it doesn't seem Switch 2 related at all?

I've always said this: That Namco contract project is a re-imagining of Star Fox Assault for Switch. Though I don't expect it on this Direct, the GameCube re-releases of this Direct should be the Prime 2-3.
DKC6 from EPD Tokyo would be good, but still rooting for Yoshi's Island 2 (or Mario Maker 3 if they're doing that for some reason, lol)

Also, VV definitely never touched a DK game as that doesn't make any sense.
EAD Tokyo did a Donkey Kong game and to this day it remains as the WORST DK game I've ever played. I threw my bongos, breaking them, after dying like 100 times in Jungle Beat.

Aslo VV making DK makes sense. They already had DK in one of their games: Skylanders Superchargers.

Here’s a quote from Nate

VV worked on a DK game, but Nintendo is making a DK game now.
Ah! Wasn't really sure anymore if there was anything substantial to the fabled MonkEPD 😅
So it'd likely be developed by some new people, propably with oversight from some veterans?

There are no strong rumors about DK (Nate's rumor about VV working on DK makes no sense and causes the entire rumor to be seem untrustworthy).
That's not Nate's rumour; it originated in a forum post here last year. VV had already worked with Nintendo IP through Skylanders, anyway.

And it's about as outlandish as Ubisoft making a Super Mario game, which has happened twice to great acclaim and commercial success.

I've always said this: That Namco contract project is a re-imagining of Star Fox Assault for Switch. Though I don't expect it on this Direct, the GameCube re-releases of this Direct should be the Prime 2-3.

EAD Tokyo did a Donkey Kong game and to this day it remains as the WORST DK game I've ever played. I threw my bongos, breaking them, after dying like 100 times in Jungle Beat.

Aslo VV making DK makes sense. They already had DK in one of their games: Skylanders Superchargers.
If Prime 4 ends the February direct and has a Summer launch before Switch 2, I think we see something else as the February shadow drop remaster. It makes more sense to have those be part of a June direct where Prime 4 will be shown off again shortly before launch and they can segue into "...also Prime 2+3 coming to the eshop today/retail this fall, own the entire Prime series on Switch" like they did Pikmin.

I would guess the rumored F-Zero GX remaster makes more sense for the February direct, half a year after F-Zero hype has been rekindled thanks to 99.

The fun thing is whenever Nintendo do announce a Donkey Kong game, we're likely going to have to wait months to find out who is actually developing it.

I’m taking this Star Fox thing as 100% fact please and thank you 🙏🏻

I already posted my 2024 predictions again a few pages back but I hope @MondoMega does as well, her format was pretty cool; )

Whats this about a Mario Warriors game? 🫠
Like a year ago, Jeff Grubb mentioned that he got a dm about a Mario Warriors game. Earlier this week he said something along the lines of "someone else DM'd me about it again recently"

Important to note the context he's talking about it is still very much "man, wouldn't it be wacky if this turns out to be real" and not "I believe this is actually happening"

Talking about third party games, what do want for next direct?. Mine are:

• Mass Effect Legendary Collection (EA)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics remaster (Square-Enix)
  • Dragon Quest III 2D-HD (Square-Enix)
  • Nier Reincarnation (Square-Enix)
  • Marvel Vs Collection/Ultimate MvC3 (Capcom)
  • Devil May Cry 4/Reboot Special Edition (Capcom)
  • Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy (Embracer)
  • Mafia Trilogy (Take-Two)
  • GTAIV/Midnight Club LA Remaster (Rockstar)
  • Dark Souls II/III (From Software/Bandai-Namco)
  • Castlevania DS Collection (Konami)
At this point I want Mass Effect to skip this Direct and come in a future one…I’d really prefer that to be a Switch 2 or 2-enhanced game.

Not impossible that it gets enhancements if it’s announced in this next Direct, but there’s a chance it misses the boat if it comes out too soon.

Week 2 - What’s going on with Donkey Kong in 2024 and beyond?
Given the DK expansion to the theme parks, I think we could see a similar but more low-key "DK blowout" this year

In addition to the Mario vs DK remake, I think there will be an effort to get most of the DK series on Switch; the DK Land games and DK '94 on GB, the Country ports on GBA, DK 64 and Diddy Kong Racing on N64, a Hagi port of DKC Returns (or maybe a proper remastering of the 3DS version, a la Luigi's Mansion 2 HD). However, I kinda don't think a brand-new DK game will drop just yet.

Beyond
However, I think that early next year is when we finally see EPD's DK game as a cross-gen title; I'm expecting 3D Mario to suck up most of the platformer air at the Switch 2 launch, but DK could be a good "second salvo" to keep the momentum going in 2025.

My real out-there prediction though (and this could be EPD's game or something else) is that in the next few years we will at some point get a (3d?) platforming game featuring a Mario-DK team-up; Mario & Donkey Kong rather than Mario vs Donkey Kong, if you will. A way to sort of tap into that "we don't like each other, but we'll work together" dynamic that the Mario Movie highlighted.

My real out-there prediction though (and this could be EPD's game or something else) is that in the next few years we will at some point get a (3d?) platforming game featuring a Mario-DK team-up; Mario & Donkey Kong rather than Mario vs Donkey Kong, if you will. A way to sort of tap into that "we don't like each other, but we'll work together" dynamic that the Mario Movie highlighted.
No diss to you at all, but can we please stop with this. This is what no new Donkey Kong game in ten years has done to people: make them think a, “best case scenario” would be a Mario game with DK as a side character. The ape has his own series, with his own characters, that could EASILY be expanded upon.

It’s sad that Nintendo’s lack of care for the series as of late has led to this, but once the park is here and a new game is finally on the way, I’m sure this perception will change.

There are no strong rumors about DK (Nate's rumor about VV working on DK makes no sense and causes the entire rumor to be seem untrustworthy). The only thing we know is that EPD Tokyo is working on a 2D platformer and DK is the most popular 2D platformer from Nintendo other than Mario.

Prime 4 also should be the leakiest game from Nintendo (as a billion art support studios are probably working on it), but there's been nothing and it's been weird.

Both of these rumors are also from 2021 and there's been no updates since 2021 so it doesn't seem Switch 2 related at all?
DK Vine said they were making a new DK game, and more importantly Nintendo Life said their own very trusted source told them the same thing

I hope we hear more about the VV DK game in the future. I’m sure that channel Did You Know Gaming will have information at some point

Talking about third party games, what do want for next direct?. Mine are:

• Mass Effect Legendary Collection (EA)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics remaster (Square-Enix)
  • Dragon Quest III 2D-HD (Square-Enix)
  • Nier Reincarnation (Square-Enix)
  • Marvel Vs Collection/Ultimate MvC3 (Capcom)
  • Devil May Cry 4/Reboot Special Edition (Capcom)
  • Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy (Embracer)
  • Mafia Trilogy (Take-Two)
  • GTAIV/Midnight Club LA Remaster (Rockstar)
  • Dark Souls II/III (From Software/Bandai-Namco)
  • Castlevania DS Collection (Konami)
Why would you want Nier Reincarnation, which is barely a game, I wonder if it will even survive all the other mobile gacha games squrae has getting killed off.
It does look nice and some of the stories are interesting, but from all I played the main plot didnt go anywhere, so I dont even know if I wanted some kind of offline version without Gacha?.

Or did you mix it up with Nier Replicant?

with more characters: wario, waluigi, rosalina and pauline 🤩
The character roster in this game is functionally identical in nature and have bespoke assets to differentiate them aesthetically. I don't think that the DLC will add significantly more new assets that these new characters would necessitate in order to have feature parity with existing characters. Much like the original SMB2/Lost Levels, I would expect this DLC to mostly reuse existing assets and recontextualize them instead.

The character roster in this game is functionally identical in nature and have bespoke assets to differentiate them aesthetically. I don't think that the DLC will add significantly more new assets that these new characters would necessitate in order to have feature parity with existing characters. Much like the original SMB2/Lost Levels, I would expect this DLC to mostly reuse existing assets and recontextualize them instead.
dammit :cry:

Why would you want Nier Reincarnation, which is barely a game, I wonder if it will even survive all the other mobile gacha games squrae has getting killed off.
It does look nice and some of the stories are interesting, but from all I played the main plot didnt go anywhere, so I dont even know if I wanted some kind of offline version without Gacha?.

Or did you mix it up with Nier Replicant?
I mix it up with Replicant lol.

Another game I would add is a Fantasian port.

It's worth noting that on New Year's Day the Animal Crossing social media accounts posted their annual "happy New Year, here's a new piece of artwork!", but this year's one prominently features the DAL plane taking off.

It's been 5 years since NH was properly revealed, it's very clearly The Year Of The Switch's Successor Reveal... is it wrong of me to go "one of this year's Nintendo Directs is going to have an Animal Crossing for the Swuccessor reveal"?

It's worth noting that on New Year's Day the Animal Crossing social media accounts posted their annual "happy New Year, here's a new piece of artwork!", but this year's one prominently features the DAL plane taking off.

It's been 5 years since NH was properly revealed, it's very clearly The Year Of The Switch's Successor Reveal... is it wrong of me to go "one of this year's Nintendo Directs is going to have an Animal Crossing for the Swuccessor reveal"?

I don't think the artwork means anything, but Animal Crossing 6 is coming sooner than later. Part of me thinks it will be a launch window title. If it isn't, I hope we can get New Leaf HD.

Star Fox movie has me all kinds of hyped! I don't give into rumor mill stuff much so like... just let me have this one y'all.

I dunno. Personally Animal Crossing has always felt like it's best used as a year 2/year 3 kind of game. The thing you put out there to really rope in the more "casual"/late adopter audience once you've pretty much tapped-out on the "hardcore"/early adopter crowd (and once any potential supply issues are largely resolved).

I dunno. Personally Animal Crossing has always felt like it's best used as a year 2/year 3 kind of game. The thing you put out there to really rope in the more "casual"/late adopter audience once you've pretty much tapped-out on the "hardcore"/early adopter crowd (and once any potential supply issues are largely resolved).
Shouldn't it be the opposite? You want the casual audience to buy into the system from the jump, that's why Nintendo always launches a mainstream title and a casual title within the first few months of launch. The Switch had Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 1-2 Switch, the Wii U had New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland, the 3DS had Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings, and the Wii had Wii Sports.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have any other multiplayer options ready for launch (unless they decide to launch a 3D Mario title and a multiplayer Mario title within a few months of each other), so Animal Crossing seems like the best fit.

Are any of my fellow Metroid fans also feeling oddly complacent about Metroid Prime 4's possible appearance (or lack thereof) in the February Direct?

Now that we're in 2024, it really feels like we either A) finally see MP4 in the first Direct of the year, or B) get MP2/possibly also MP3 in the Feb Direct, and get something close to a soft confirmation that MP4 will benefit from some Switch successor bells and whistles by the time it's revealed and launches, since it wouldn't possibly launch before September if it's only re-revealed in June or later?

Are any of my fellow Metroid fans also feeling oddly complacent about Metroid Prime 4's possible appearance (or lack thereof) in the February Direct?

Now that we're in 2024, it really feels like we either A) finally see MP4 in the first Direct of the year, or B) get MP2/possibly also MP3 in the Feb Direct, and get something close to a soft confirmation that MP4 will benefit from some Switch successor bells and whistles by the time it's revealed and launches, since it wouldn't possibly launch before September if it's only revealed in June or later?
#TrustTheProcess

Now that we're in 2024, it really feels like we either A) finally see MP4 in the first Direct of the year, or B) get MP2/possibly also MP3 in the Feb Direct, and get something close to a soft confirmation that MP4 will benefit from some Switch successor bells and whistles by the time it's revealed and launches, since it wouldn't possibly launch before September if it's only re-revealed in June or later?
Honestly, I'm very mixed about Metroid Prime 4 being shown in a Jan/Feb direct. I think it can happen, I think a lot has happened since it's development restarting back at the start of 2019 and it could be a good lead-in for the reveal of the Switch 2... but that's where my problems come in. I feel like it'd be a smashing reveal for a direct mini, but I feel like it would be an even stronger reveal for a Switch 2 reveal trailer as a sort of comparison point?

I can go either way honestly. I think MP2/3 ports are also likely but come the hell on. We've heard rumors about those and WW/TPHD ports for years now and we still haven't seen shit. I honestly I have no idea when they'll show up at this point.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? You want the casual audience to buy into the system from the jump, that's why Nintendo always launches a mainstream title and a casual title within the first few months of launch. The Switch had Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 1-2 Switch, the Wii U had New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland, the 3DS had Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings, and the Wii had Wii Sports.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have any other multiplayer options ready for launch (unless they decide to launch a 3D Mario title and a multiplayer Mario title within a few months of each other), so Animal Crossing seems like the best fit.
Nah I think Blackthorn is right. You don't want the hardcore audience fighting with the casual audience for early consoles imo. The hardcore audience is guaranteed sales who will fight tooth and nail for a console, while the casual audience cares considerably less and if they don't get a console, oh well. They'll wait or they just won't get one at all once the fomo goes away. Laying out all your cards at once means all your audiences can't get a system.

Also I don't think Animal Crossing is year 1 either, that's Mario Kart's release imo and you need to space out the big casual games. The casual audience only buys 1 or 2 games a year. You don't want that audience not playing your system for a year and forgetting that it exists.

I don’t think we’ll see it in the first direct. We’ll get Metroid Prime 2/3 and Prime 4 we’ll see with the reveal of Switch 2

I'm almost sure Metroid Prime 4 will be used as a showcase for the Switch 2, meaning we'll only see it when the console is announced. Its release for the Switch will still happen, but it'll be sort of a footnote, like, "By the way, this is also coming for the Switch".

But then again, I suck at predictions, so the fact I'm almost sure means I'm probably wrong.

Yeah at this point it feels like just it's a matter of time before it shows up, because they're either saving it to be the Switch's swansong or a surprise for the Super Switch. Either way we aughta see something soon so the hype of omg where is it?? is kinda gone for me 😅

Nah I think Blackthorn is right. You don't want the hardcore audience fighting with the casual audience for early consoles imo. The hardcore audience is guaranteed sales who will fight tooth and nail for a console, while the casual audience cares considerably less and if they don't get a console, oh well. They'll wait or they just won't get one at all once the fomo goes away. Laying out all your cards at once means all your audiences can't get a system.

Also I don't think Animal Crossing is year 1 either, that's Mario Kart's release imo and you need to space out the big casual games. The casual audience only buys 1 or 2 games a year. You don't want that audience not playing your system for a year and forgetting that it exists.
Nintendo has shown they emphasize the casual audience in the past though. They always launch with or around a casual focused title. Audiences won't forget that Animal Crossing exists, just like they didn't forget that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe exists.

Although, this might be a better discussion for the Switch 2 thread. I doubt any of these titles will be getting revealed at the next Direct anyways,

I've felt confident that Metroid Prime 4 would appear at the last two Directs and I was proven wrong both times.

But this is the one.

I've felt confident that Metroid Prime 4 would appear at the last two Directs and I was proven wrong both times.

But this is the one.
Nah. All the money Nintendo has spent on this game and growing Retro Studios, to make Metroid Prime 4 a big deal, they’ll want to tie it with the hype cycle of Switch 2. It’s the best thing they can do to make Metroid Prime 4 as successful as they can.

I don’t think we’ll see it in the first direct. We’ll get Metroid Prime 2/3 and Prime 4 we’ll see with the reveal of Switch 2
I'm doubting it in February too, but the fact that it's basically guaranteed to be shown by June at the latest, in tandem with the new console reveal or proper showcase, is crazy exciting and allows me to stop going nuts every time it isn't shown in a Direct lol
I'm almost sure Metroid Prime 4 will be used as a showcase for the Switch 2, meaning we'll only see it when the console is announced. Its release for the Switch will still happen, but it'll be sort of a footnote, like, "By the way, this is also coming for the Switch".

But then again, I suck at predictions, so the fact I'm almost sure means I'm probably wrong.
That's what I'm saying, we either see it at the next possible event or can rest with the assurance that it will be getting some sort of solid enhancement on the next Switch. Can't lose with those odds!
Yeah at this point it feels like just it's a matter of time before it shows up, because they're either saving it to be the Switch's swansong or a surprise for the Super Switch. Either way we aughta see something soon so the hype of omg where is it?? is kinda gone for me 😅
Exactly, the hype for the game's reveal is still there because it will likely be incredible, but the agony of uncertainty is basically nonexistent for me at this point lol.

But this is the one.
I am finally doubting it in February after thinking it would be at the last two Directs, so the first time I doubt its re-reveal in like 9 months will obviously be the time Nintendo finally shellshocks us all lmao

Legit idk what will be the most hype game for Switch 2

Imagine, just imagine we see all these games for the first time in a Switch 2 presentation

-Metroid Prime 4
-3D Mario
-Mario Kart X
-New Monolith Soft game
also
-Old Monolith Soft game
bring back XBX goddammit

Legit idk what will be the most hype game for Switch 2

Imagine, just imagine we see all these games for the first time in a Switch 2 presentation

-Metroid Prime 4
-3D Mario
-Mario Kart X
-New Monolith Soft game
If a new Monolith Soft game was announced, and I'm talking a new IP not a port (though I'd still be excited for XCX), my body would probably end up vibrating into the speed-force in excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom