• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
My major question is if Nintendo had anything major (other than like a Zelda remake) for pre-September 2024, why would they show TTYD instead for their September 2023 major announcement?

TTYD was basically complete yeah and is probably releasing in Q2, but this could have been announced in February 2024 and released May 2024 with no problem. They immediately stopped promoting the game after the September Direct in fact, lol. It felt like really poor timing that kind of took the wind out of SMRPG's sails because the two games are similar just... TTYD is better, lol.

I did predict a AA (bordering on AAA) StarFox game for this Direct, but now I'm doubting that again, lol.

Maybe just an OoT 3Ds remaster and Mario Sluggers Switch and other small games for this Direct.

If they do have a major game for Spring or Summer 2024 other than TTYD, then I really question announcing TTYD in September instead of February.
We’ve discussed why the DK game announcement would’ve been saved for this year

Last edited:
Donkey Kong every time his game is not announced:

dkc-disappointed.gif

Unless something dramatic happens in 20 mins for the first tweet of the day, I’m glad we are closing out New Years week since it was fairly uneventful outside of the big Donkey Kong movie rumor. Next week, Pivotal Week, is the big week to watch as whatever happens or doesn’t happen there should really help us understand what the next few weeks after are going to look like. If the Direct is this month, I think next week is #TeamJanuary’s best chance personally as it’d be weird to overshadow Another Code the next week and the following week with Under Night In-Birth II and Apollo Justice is absolutely packed with videos games.

The "Nintendo Direct Speculation" is my favorite thread here, but this time, with all speculation about Switch 2, I really can't hype myself so much.

Anyway, I hope see a direct soon and will be happy when it happens, no matter if it's a full direct or mini. If it's a mini, maybe it's a sign of Switch 2 coming soon, if it's a regular one, maybe we can see games like Prime 4, Fire Emblem remake or Donkey Kong. It's a win win.

Did anyone play this?
It didn't have any weird monetisation being behind a paywall right?
If it was good I hope it gets another chance.
Apple Arcade games don't have any additional monetization. But it was pretty obvious from playing WoD that it was initially meant to have them (the project started out with DeNA as publisher iirc).

I personally felt it was quite clunky but the visual style is great.

Entering the new direct thread is like returning home after a long time.
Happy to be here this time as well!!

I'm #TeamFebruary and I also think that we will get the reveal of the next console. Maybe not an entire reveal, but I expect at least Nintendo to acknowledge its existence!

Unless something dramatic happens in 20 mins for the first tweet of the day, I’m glad we are closing out New Years week since it was fairly uneventful outside of the big Donkey Kong movie rumor. Next week, Pivotal Week, is the big week to watch as whatever happens or doesn’t happen there should really help us understand what the next few weeks after are going to look like. If the Direct is this month, I think next week is #TeamJanuary’s best chance personally as it’d be weird to overshadow Another Code the next week and the following week with Under Night In-Birth II and Apollo Justice is absolutely packed with videos games.
Yeah next week my hype meter goes up a little knowing it’s the real first week we could expect news.

Here's the thing - Switch NEEDED BOTW at launch, Switch 2 most likely having 3D Mario/Mario Kart or something big like that at launch + general success of the Switch means... Switch 2 doesn't really need Prime 4, but they do need to keep the software coming for the regular Switch during the cross gen period and they can't have a year without a "big" holiday Switch 1 game, and that is most likely Prime 4, and as a bonus, it will also play on Switch 2 (but I don't think it will get a meaningful upgrade).
I'm not saying it "needs" Prime 4. I'm just saying that it makes sense that Prime 4 would be cross-gen.

I'm not saying it "needs" Prime 4. I'm just saying that it makes sense that Prime 4 would be cross-gen.
Right I agree. Switch 2 doesn’t need MP4, but Nintendo, for the sake of the Metroid Prime series, “needs” it to be cross gen. I don’t blame them. Don’t we all want MP4 to be as successful as possible so it continues?

I don't expect anything in January outside of people here to get more unhinged as the month goes on.

As a reminder Nintendo announced the Switch January event in October of 2016

If such an event was happening this month we'd have heard about it by now.

I don't expect anything in January outside of people here to get more unhinged as the month goes on.

A likely scenario is a regular Switch Direct in February and a barebones announcement of Switch 2 in March with a "full presentation in June" announcement.

A likely scenario is a regular Switch Direct in February and a barebones announcement of Switch 2 in March with a "full presentation in June" announcement.
Part of me thinks that we'll get a "stay tuned in March for an announcement about the future of Nintendo" during the next Direct, no matter when it is. Basically pull a Rockstar.

Part of me thinks that we'll get a "stay tuned in March for an announcement about the future of Nintendo" during the next Direct, no matter when it is. Basically pull a Rockstar.
That would be a weird way of announcing a new system, especially since it'd undermine basically every announcement in the direct. Not impossible, but I don't think it'll happen.

Like soldierdelta said you just undermined the rest of the direct. That’s a disservice to the 3rd party relations and their games in the presentation. The rest of the presentation will get little talk while the last part everyone is talking about.

That would be a weird way of announcing a new system, especially since it'd undermine basically every announcement in the direct. Not impossible, but I don't think it'll happen.
Nintendo has a recent history of doing weird stuff in Directs. There was the infamous Mario Movie cast announcement for example, Super Nintendo World and Pikmin Bloom showed up in a Direct together, and last year the Nintendo Museum was in a Direct. I don't think Nintendo minds. And this wouldn't be a console announcement, it would be a "stay tuned for something big" announcement.

The more time I spend thinking about the switch 2 reveal the more I think that we aren’t getting a big stage presentation similar to the January 2017 presentation.

I think we get a teaser trailer similar to the October 2016 reveal, then a few months later we get a direct showing off new features like enhanced controllers or something else and then get a reveal of new games that are going to be playable on both new and current hardware.

I don’t know if this is the general sentiment as I haven’t been keeping up with any of the predictions/hardware threads, but this is my current opinion.

I will wait

E0EkiP-XoAIIcEt-f54d.jpg
I always find this funny, because ironically some of their rushed games are the best games they've ever made and some games they delayed are some of the worst (comparatively).

Rushed for launch period or other reasons: Melee, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Wind Waker etc
Notoriously Delayed: Twilight Princess (easiest, most barren, boring to most comparatively)

The games with short development times had to get creative and bore some amazing results due to it lol

They even talk about this themselves!! That's why I find this quote funny.

Nintendo has a recent history of doing weird stuff in Directs. There was the infamous Mario Movie cast announcement for example, Super Nintendo World and Pikmin Bloom showed up in a Direct together, and last year the Nintendo Museum was in a Direct. I don't think Nintendo minds. And this wouldn't be a console announcement, it would be a "stay tuned for something big" announcement.
That's a fair point. Considering Nintendo Directs are commonly the most popular events in the video game space, it wouldn't be an awful idea, especially since the Nintendo Direct in July got more views on Youtube than Summer Game Fest. It'd be strange, but more in line with their current behaviors. Still remains to be seen though.

Let's run through a hypothetical:

Nintendo Direct Mini in the one of the first two months of the year. It covers the lighter end of Nintendo announcements leading up to May, including release dates for Luigi's Mansion 2 remake and TTYD remake. There's a few third-parties, but not significant titles.

Then the Switch 2 gets a mention at the end of the direct with a date showing when it'll get a trailer with a small tease of the console's look.

If that happens, it wouldn't fully undermine the other games while still revealing the system.

Wait… Donkey Kong Movie rumour? What have I missed?

That's a fair point. Considering Nintendo Directs are commonly the most popular events in the video game space, it wouldn't be an awful idea, especially since the Nintendo Direct in July got more views on Youtube than Summer Game Fest. It'd be strange, but more in line with their current behaviors. Still remains to be seen though.

Let's run through a hypothetical:

Nintendo Direct Mini in the one of the first two months of the year. It covers the lighter end of Nintendo announcements leading up to May, including release dates for Luigi's Mansion 2 remake and TTYD remake. There's a few third-parties, but not significant titles.

Then the Switch 2 gets a mention at the end of the direct with a date showing when it'll get a trailer with a small tease of the console's look.

If that happens, it wouldn't fully undermine the other games while still revealing the system.
I don’t agree at all. Why would Nintendo do this when they can wait weeks or a month later to announce the Switch 2? A movie cast is nothing related to video games. A theme park is not video games. Switch 2 directly impacts the announcements for the Switch games. Why would Nintendo need to force an announcement on a Mini Direct of all things when they can wait until March to announce it? I feel like you guys are forcing a scenario to happen that doesn’t need to happen

If Nintendo want to do a low key "We're announcing our next system soon" announcement - and I think they will - they have absolutely no need or reason to announce that in a Direct. It absolutely would bury whatever else they've shown. And it shouldn't need to be pointed out that when Nintendo do officially say something about next-gen hardware, that news is going to spread like wildfire regardless of the format Nintendo choose for their announcement.

It still wouldn't surprise me to see a statement released to investors confirming new hardware is coming in the next fiscal year and that further details will be shared 'soon/next month/in March' (delete as appropriate) while similar messages are simultaneously shared through Nitnendo's social media channels. Maybe they announce the first trailer for a new system a day in advance.

But there's no need at all to tie it to a Direct that's otherwise dedicated to first-gen Switch software.

The more time I spend thinking about the switch 2 reveal the more I think that we aren’t getting a big stage presentation similar to the January 2017 presentation.

I think we get a teaser trailer similar to the October 2016 reveal, then a few months later we get a direct showing off new features like enhanced controllers or something else and then get a reveal of new games that are going to be playable on both new and current hardware.

I don’t know if this is the general sentiment as I haven’t been keeping up with any of the predictions/hardware threads, but this is my current opinion.
I personally don't see Nintendo doing the live presentation format again. I think after the initial announcement (in March, maybe?), we'll get a pre-recorded Direct in or around June that is entirely dedicated to showcasing the hardware and software for the new platform, possibly followed by a Treehouse segment.

Thing with that is that Nintendo NEEDED to announce their next thing as soon as possible back then to get away from the WiiU.

They could do the build up totally different this moving on from a more succesful console.
Of course they shouldn't miss the right timing seeing as they pretty much did that with the Wii back in the day, but I don't see them repeating that.

I personally don't see Nintendo doing the live presentation format again. I think after the initial announcement (in March, maybe?), we'll get a pre-recorded Direct in or around June that is entirely dedicated to showcasing the hardware and software for the new platform, possibly followed by a Treehouse segment.
Totally agree.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is trying to secure a preorder for this thing. Everyone was so down on Nintendo in 2017, I just walked in to Gamestop the day preorders started and got one in no problem. Going to be very different this time around.

Maybe we can get priority given to people with the longest amount of subscription time on their Nintendo Online accounts? Lol.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is trying to secure a preorder for this thing. Everyone was so down on Nintendo in 2017, I just walked in to Gamestop the day preorders started and got one in no problem. Going to be very different this time around.

Maybe we can get priority given to people with the longest amount of subscription time on their Nintendo Online accounts? Lol.
I'll probably just send up getting mine through a reseller. That's how I got my Series S during launch month. Yes, I know I'm part of the problem.

Here are my full predictions for Nintendo's overall 2024:

January will be a very quiet month from Nintendo. Some occasional commercials for already-released games, but that's about it.

February will see the release of a Nintendo Direct. While Nintendo won't say it outright, this will be the last official Switch-only Direct. It will mostly be lightweight, showcasing updates on games we already know about with a couple of new remasters/ports/remakes announced. The big finale to the Direct will be a trailer for Metroid Prime 4.

Early in March, Nintendo will post on its social media accounts, telling us to tune in the next day for the first look at their new hardware. The next day, a 3 to 5-minute-long trailer will drop that highlights the look and basic features of the new platform. It will mostly consist of actors playing the system as we get glimpses of, but no solid announcements of, new games. Generally, this will just be a tease of what to expect. After the video is posted, Nintendo will announce that they will provide a full presentation at a later date, possibly explicitly giving a June timeframe.

April and May will essentially be housekeeping for the Switch. Trailers and updates for the remaining announced games for Switch. Fans will get antsy for "Switch 2" info but Nintendo will strictly keep it to the Switch.

In the middle of June will be a Nintendo Direct that fully blows the lid off the new hardware. This will be branded as a Nintendo Direct, but it will be more polished and along the lines of how Nintendo did E3 presentations - better production values and treated with more weight and importance. It will fully go over the "Switch 2" in detail, outline all of its features, give a firm price and release date (late September), and announce new games for its launch window. The biggest focus is a brand new 3D Mario game. Afterwards, there will be a Treehouse stream featuring the new system and some of its games.

July and August will focus on the Switch with the new hardware being rumbled about throughout. Sometime in late August, we will see influencers invited by Nintendo to play the new system, and we will get several previews.

Early September shows a new Nintendo Direct. The first 10 or so minutes of the Direct will focus on the Switch, and the rest will be about the new platform, drumming up hype for its imminent release in a couple of weeks.

Late September sees the launch of the new platform, and the rest of the year is full-on hype mode as everyone enjoys the event of a new Nintendo system. The console is really hard to get hold of and becomes the hottest holiday gift of the year.

Those are my predictions, and it's 100% speculation with no actual insider info. I could be way off but that's the fun of it all.

Playing through Prime Remastered right now so hoping Prime 2 will be announced soon. I'd LOVE for it to be remastered because I think it's a far more beautiful game than the original.
Don't really care for Switch 2 as of now and only hope we'll see it soon because that will likely mean seeing new 3D Mario

Ryozo Tsujimoto graces us with another quick video. Nothing really new, here. Even the sales numbers for World and Rise are just from the recent platinum sellers list (and we'll have to wait a bit longer to see how well #ReturnToWorld did for them). More information for Wilds will have to wait until the Summer. But anniversary celebration stuff will kick off officially in March.

Now, here's what I'm wondering about. Usually, Capcom doesn't really do re-releases of older MH games. The last time they've done anything of the sort was when Monster Hunter G was ported over to the Wii (JP-only), which included a demo for Monster Hunter Tri. But now, we're in a rather unprecedented period where a new calendar year doesn't see any new MH releases on the forecast.

Another thing to consider is that by April 2024, online play/functionality for the 3DS and Wii U is slated to go offline. Obviously, this sad news affected many, but it was an especially tough pill to swallow for fans of Monster Hunter 3U and 4U, who are still playing these games to this day.

So, what if the answer to both predicaments was for Capcom to...release HD remasters for MH3U and/or 4U for Switch? It'd be in the same spirit of "#ReturnToWorld", with giving people incentive to revisit older Monster Hunter games during this "off year". And it would also free 3U and 4U from being trapped on the 3DS/Wii U and with no online. Switch will likely also see maybe a few more remaster announcements over the next couple of months, so what's a few more?

It'd be just the kind of thing I could see being announced at this upcoming (February) Direct, with Capcom talking more about it the following month at their own event(s).

Playing through Prime Remastered right now so hoping Prime 2 will be announced soon. I'd LOVE for it to be remastered because I think it's a far more beautiful game than the original.
Don't really care for Switch 2 as of now and only hope we'll see it soon because that will likely mean seeing new 3D Mario
I want Prime 2 because it’s my favorite of the series.

Well I wonder how aware Nintendo is of Pyoro. Surely they must be. I don't think they'd like their big showcase to just be dumped on twitter in the 48 hours before the event lmao. But to be fair I could be overstating this and it may not matter.

I always find this funny, because ironically some of their rushed games are the best games they've ever made and some games they delayed are some of the worst (comparatively).

Rushed for launch period or other reasons: Melee, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Wind Waker etc
Notoriously Delayed: Twilight Princess (easiest, most barren, boring to most comparatively)

The games with short development times had to get creative and bore some amazing results due to it lol

They even talk about this themselves!! That's why I find this quote funny.
And then there was Mario Tennis Ultra Smash which was the bare minimum to be called a Tennis game.

Last edited:

Oof, I had a close call during my pre-orders for Switch and BOTW Collector's Edition. I lined up at 8AM outside EB Games the day after the presentation and I was already 6th in line. Supposedly I secured the second last CE they were allocated.

I don't care how logical it is, I'm praying to the gods known and unknown they don't launch in November. Nintendo had a good thing going letting the diehards get the initial build up of stock in March, and then letting parents and guardians get holiday gifts during Black Friday

Twilight princess is far less barren than Wind waker, which is literally based in a empty ocean, and more challenging in puzzle design, because it actually does more than rehash existing puzzles from the previous two games.

Reading through comments on here, and I feel like a lot of ya'll aren't aware that a Mario Musou has been stated to be a dream musou collaboration by the president of KT for years now

a more recent comment I remember reading about it came from an interview with TheGamer about Samurai Warriors 5 a few years back:

So it could just be people out there looking for "leaker" cred who know about these comments and are playing the odds. Hoping to grow an audience if it ever does happen

Or they could know something for real. That's entirely possible too I guess 🤷‍♂️

But either way, KT have been down to clown on a Mario Warriors game(and Star Warriors lol) for years now, it's not some big secret
You know seeing Star Warriors and Koei Tecmo in the same post just makes me think of just how badly I want a Kirby Musou game.

What MC rating would Metroid Prime 4 have to receive for y'all to consider it worthy of the hype/wait? I'm thinking a nice, fat 92 a la Mario Wonder (or Metroid Prime 2)
As long as it looks and feels like a Metroid Prime game I'm going to consider it worth the wait.

What MC rating would Metroid Prime 4 have to receive for y'all to consider it worthy of the hype/wait? I'm thinking a nice, fat 92 a la Mario Wonder (or Metroid Prime 2)
Frankly, I don't particularly care.

A lot of people get hung up too much about MC scores. While it's nice to see your favorite games get recognition, it doesn't really matter much to me if the game I'm looking forward to gets mid results. If the game is good to you, then you can be happy about it. I've seen so many occasions where people get hung up on one bad review. Xenoblade 3 got an 89 but didn't get a 90? Doesn't matter, it's still peak fiction to me.

Y'all (collective) get hung up on this too much fr fr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom