• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST6| It’s Prime Time For Some More Wonderful Speculation! (Spoiler Crowd, Remain In This Thread Until The Direct Ends!)

What Metroid Prime Games Are Showing Up At The Next Nintendo Direct?

• Metroid Prime 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 3! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2, 3, and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• No Numbered Games, But Something New And / Or Cool! I #trusttheprocess.

• I #trusttheprocess, but it will test us with nothing for now.

• The process has forsaken us and I have forsaken it.

• Only Metroid Prime Federation Force HD For Some Reason.

• Just A Random JPEG Of Sylux In HD.

• Nothing, Not Even Metroid Prime Pinball. Crocomire Is Still Dead. Just Endless Despair.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remake coming soon:
tumblr_mfqhe5LfIv1r2pz7go1_r1_500.gif

Omg literally just remembered how bad the last Direct was, hopefully this one is actually good. F-Zero GX should be nailed on, according to Nate? And I'm guessing the big Kirby game for Xmas.

But, thinking about it....are we even sure that there's a Direct coming? Like, what are we even expecting to see at this point?

Likely:
  • Mario RPG
  • Mario Wonder
  • Splatoon 3 DLC
  • Mario Kart DLC
Maybe
  • Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War
  • NLG new game
  • Metal Slug: Tactics
Lol
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Outer Wilds Switch
  • Starfox

Anything else?
What big Kirby game are you expecting? I'd gladly take it, but I don't see a new big Kirby retail game releasing this year after we got Forgotten Land last year and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe this year already. I'm personally expecting the next Kirby game (maybe digital only) next year.

I'm also not counting on F-Zero GX happening this Direct. It seems like it'll happen eventually, but since I expect a shadowdrop, it's hard to say if that's this time, next time, or some other time. Feels like it could be whenever, especially since I'm also expecting Metroid Prime and possibly Paper Mario shadowdrops at some point. Did Nate say it's happening in a September Direct?

I think the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC and the Splatoon 3 DLC could be talked about, but I'm not necessarily expecting it. We know MK8DX's last DLC is this year, probably closer to the holidays, so maybe it's time to show a little from it if they want to start marketing the final wave, especially if they'll treat it as a bigger deal and push it a lot over the next few months. Splatoon 3's DLC was never dated or even given a year, but showing it if they're ready to give some date details would be nice.

For me, the only things I feel confident saying will be there are Super Mario Bros. Wonder, WarioWare: Move It!, Super Mario RPG, and a lot of titles from Japanese companies who will be at TGS.

What big Kirby game are you expecting? I'd gladly take it, but I don't see a new big Kirby retail game releasing this year after we got Forgotten Land last year and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe this year already. I'm personally expecting the next Kirby game (maybe digital only) next year.

I'm also not counting on F-Zero GX happening this Direct. It seems like it'll happen eventually, but since I expect a shadowdrop, it's hard to say if that's this time, next time, or some other time. Feels like it could be whenever, especially since I'm also expecting Metroid Prime and possibly Paper Mario shadowdrops at some point. Did Nate say it's happening in a September Direct?

I think the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC and the Splatoon 3 DLC could be talked about, but I'm not necessarily expecting it. We know MK8DX's last DLC is this year, probably closer to the holidays, so maybe it's time to show a little from it if they want to start marketing the final wave, especially if they'll treat it as a bigger deal and push it a lot over the next few months. Splatoon 3's DLC was never dated or even given a year, but showing it if they're ready to give some date details would be nice.

For me, the only things I feel confident saying will be there are Super Mario Bros. Wonder, WarioWare: Move It!, Super Mario RPG, and a lot of titles from Japanese companies who will be at TGS.

Ah yes the classic 'nothing good will happen at all'-style Direct, which people commonly love to anticipate. The only problem with this is that didn't we just have one of those in June? Surely two in a row is a bit much and we'll actually get something good in this one? Also didn't Nate say 2023 would be F-Zero's year (to paraphrase)?

Even if TotK had released in 2022 as planned, it still wouldn't have been enough time.

Hyrule Warriors 2014
Fire Emblem Warriors 2017
BotW 2017 -> Age of Calamity 2020
FE 3 Houses 2019 -> FE 3 Hopes 2022

So it's usually 2-3 years between Nintendo licensed Warriors games that were original and from the ground up. On top of that it's a similar time gap between an original game and the warriors title based upon it.

It's why I said 2025 at the earliest for the next Hyrule Warriors as it would be 3 years after the original planned release of TotK, also 3 years from the last Nintendo Warriors game.

If we get a Warriors game in 2024, it'll almost assuredly be a different Nintendo IP.
I think they’re gonna do Mushroom Kingdom Warriors next and when the trailer starts we’re all going to get hype for 3D MARIO before we realize what it is.

Remake coming soon:
tumblr_mfqhe5LfIv1r2pz7go1_r1_500.gif

I'm playing this atm for the first time and I cannot overstate how much I fucking love this game. Marle also reminds me of a friend I made irl, so lots of happy memories every time I play; not to mention the sheer nostalgia for the DBZ era. I spend most of my day listening to 'Battle 1' on repeat. Literally the perfect game.

Ah yes the classic 'nothing good will happen at all'-style Direct, which people commonly love to anticipate. The only problem with this is that didn't we just have one of those in June? Surely two in a row is a bit much and we'll actually get something good in this one? Also didn't Nate say 2023 would be F-Zero's year (to paraphrase)?
What? June Direct had Mario RPG and Mario Wonder!

To quote Homer: what the hell are you talking about?

So what’s likely for this September Direct? Should we just expect more info on these and very minimal surprises?

Splatoon 3 Side Order DLC
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Super Mario RPG
Fashion Dreamer
Luigi’s Mansion 2
Princess Peach Game
Wario Ware: Move it
Detective Pikachu

Potential Surprises:

Prime 2/3 HD?
F-Zero GX HD?
I recall Grubb saying something Zelda but not related to ToTK by the end of this year.

Lowkey excited for:

Rift of the Necro Dancer
Penny’s Big Breakaway
They have to stop showing Detective Pikachu 2 or else they may convince me to not buy it

I feel like the June Direct quite literally breathed life back into the switch lol, before that there was the “they’re done until the switch 2” attitude
The June Direct is what gave me the confidence to laugh at Dring for insisting Nintendo had no games after TotK 😅

It's a subjective assessment, for sure. I liked the June Direct well enough; I ended up with multiple newly announced games that I knew I'd buy even if they weren't at the top of my hype pile, which is pretty decent for me. For what I'm personally expecting for this next Direct, I'm expecting to like it, too, since I tend to like a lot of the games put out by the Japanese publishers that I expect to be in this presentation. That said, I know it's not for everyone. There are always presentations that people love and others hate and many people find middling. Sometimes people have the unfortunate honor of ending up in the "middling/hate" group multiple times in a row or for a whole generation (e.g., the Wii press conference years for some people), depending on the marketing and company priorities at that time.

Direct hype seems pretty directly linked to what people know going into it (via leaks or official confirmations) and individual attachment to specific IPs/genres. A Switch 2 presentation is the next time I expect Nintendo could stack several of their biggest IPs and announcements into a single show, and those types of shows seem to be the ones that get the most Nintendo fans excited.

As for F-Zero, I don't remember what Nate has said, so I'd have to take your word on it. Regardless, I'm not saying what I wrote for my expectations is the entirety of what I think could be featured, and everything I dismissed might show up. I just don't expect these games. There are also games I didn't mention that seem possible. It might be time for Metroid Prime 4 again. Maybe Monolith Soft is ready with a new game for next year. Do we see Fire Emblem 4 remake? I'll be happy if they're all here. When video game marketing can start as early as the day a game is greenlit to as late as the day a game releases, I think truly anything is possible. Within that, I also think Nintendo is their own brand of wild card. I tend to be reserved in what I count on being there, and the best part of Nintendo Directs for me are the announcements I didn't see coming.

Hopefully we all get something that appeals to us!

Last edited:
I don't know, don't think it's that controversial of an opinion to say the June direct was pretty weak ... the lineup is good especially for a final year, but it really didn't give me anything new to be excited about aside from Wonder, which is admittedly big. (Also not fair, but some stuff from that direct like the MGS collection are ruined now anyways, so ...)

I feel like one of the reasons people got disappointed was that Pyoro leaked everything
Thank the Iselia Queen, he didn’t leaked the Star Ocean 2 Remake.
I would’ve force him to listen to every character from Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope for four months non stop.

’Kay ? Nyaaa. Listening ? What is it ? Nyaaa, ‘Kay ? Nyaaa ! Hurting, does it hurt ? Nyaaa, ‘Kay ? Let’s give this deranged and clearly evil scientist an anti-mater reactor, what could go wr- Oops, she destroyed planet Earth ! Nyaaa ! A planet ? Is this some sort of clothes ?

Thank the Iselia Queen, he didn’t leaked the Star Ocean 2 Remake.
I would’ve force him to listen to every character from Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope for four months non stop.

’Kay ? Nyaaa. Listening ? What is it ? Nyaaa, ‘Kay ? Nyaaa ! Hurting, does it hurt ? Nyaaa, ‘Kay ? Let’s give this deranged and clearly evil scientist an anti-mater reactor, what could go wr- Oops, she destroyed planet Earth ! Nyaaa ! A planet ? Is this some sort of clothes ?
I think someone else leaked Star Ocean lol

I feel like one of the reasons people got disappointed was that Pyoro leaked everything
Anyone who was disappointed by a direct because leaks turned out to be accurate has no one to blame but themselves. The gameplay/trailer is what truly makes an announcement truly hype. Did Mario Wonder look less interesting to play because we knew the Wonder name a day before?

June Direct was great imo.

Mario Wonder.
Mario RPG.
Peach game.
Vampire Survivors.
Palia.
Pikmin 1 and 2.
Penny's Big Breakaway.
Star Ocean The Second Story R
New Mario Kart wave

All of this interested me.

Imagine if the direct reveals a new Nintendo Switch Golden Sun game coming in 2024 along with Golden Sun 1 and 2 getting released on GBA NSO after the end of this direct.

Lots of people didn’t think it was that good. Mario fans were fed + the pacing wasn’t good. The announcements should’ve came differently
I just find the idea that the June showcase was a "nothing" one to be weird, considering just how low expectations were going into that event. Going into the June Direct, Nintendo's upcoming games list was a barren wasteland outside of Pikmin 4 and the perpetually TBA Metroid Prime 4 (temp.). I feel like most people just saw the Switch as being done. Instead, we got a tidal wave of Mario titles that showed Nintendo would not only be ending this year off strong, but that 2024 would also have a surprisingly solid start itself. The Switch is still done, sure, but it looks like it will be going out more gracefully than we imagined.

If someone doesn't give a shit about Mario or any of the third-party games like Penny's Big Breakaway, then yeah, it was a bad show. And yes, Pokémon broke any semblance of good pacing even if you did like it. But I can't see it as a nothing show, because it gave us a roadmap for Nintendo's first-party software into 2024 at a time where we were questioning if the system would even have anything noteworthy for the holidays outside Pokémon DLC. (And also, it had a platformer starring a jester, and you can't go wrong with that.)

5mx9x9.jpg

I just find the idea that the June showcase was a "nothing" one to be weird, considering just how low expectations were going into that event. Going into the June Direct, Nintendo's upcoming games list was a barren wasteland outside of Pikmin 4 and the perpetually TBA Metroid Prime 4 (temp.). I feel like most people just saw the Switch as being done. Instead, we got a tidal wave of Mario titles that showed Nintendo would not only be ending this year off strong, but that 2024 would also have a surprisingly solid start itself. The Switch is still done, sure, but it looks like it will be going out more gracefully than we imagined.

If someone doesn't give a shit about Mario or any of the third-party games like Penny's Big Breakaway, then yeah, it was a bad show. And yes, Pokémon broke any semblance of good pacing even if you did like it. But I can't see it as a nothing show, because it gave us a roadmap for Nintendo's first-party software into 2024 at a time where we were questioning if the system would even have anything noteworthy for the holidays outside Pokémon DLC. (And also, it had a platformer starring a jester, and you can't go wrong with that.)
For sure it wasn’t a nothing direct. I can’t fault people if they don’t care for Mario because it was a heavily focused Mario direct. Just like I can’t fault people if they don’t like JRPG heavy directs. But, hopefully, those people can see it showed the Switch won’t go out on weak note.

For sure it wasn’t a nothing direct. I can’t fault people if they don’t care for Mario because it was a heavily focused Mario direct. Just like I can’t fault people if they don’t like JRPG heavy directs. But, hopefully, those people can see it showed the Switch won’t go out on weak note.
I like mario but I'm going to be honest with 2d mario I'm like " ok cool I will play it" it dosent get me as hype as when they show 3d mario "I need to play this right now" its probably cause 2d mario has been so oversaturated in the recent decade with all the new super mario games and 3d mario games feel more like a event. Why I am not too hyped for mario wonder just lukewarm about it. So for me the direct wasent the greatest thing Even as a mario fan, also mario rog remake is cool but it is just a remake of a snes game so I know what to expect, I'm interested to play it but I'm not over the moon hyped about it

I like mario but I'm going to be honest with 2d mario I'm like " ok cool I will play it" it dosent get me as hype as when they show 3d mario "I need to play this right now" its probably cause 2d mario has been so oversaturated in the recent decade with all the new super mario games and 3d mario games feel more like a event. Why I am not too hyped for mario wonder just lukewarm about it. So for me the direct wasent the greatest thing Even as a mario fan, also mario rog remake is cool but it is just a remake of a snes game so I know what to expect, I'm interested to play it but I'm not over the moon hyped about it
I feel the opposite, a brand new console 2D Mario hasn’t happened in 10 years. I can’t wait to see what surprises and evolutions they’ve cooked up since NSMBU.

June Direct was about as good as a Direct could be without convincing me that there isn't going to be a Switch 2 announcement within the next 12 months. Which is to say, "Pretty good, not spectacular, no big announcements for far in the future".

Personally, I thought the Feb and June Directs were bangers, some great announcements. It might have been more exciting for those of us that prefer to buy 3rd party games on Switch when we get the chance but even for exclusives I thought both delivered.

June Direct wasn't that great for me but I wouldn't say it was bad:

• Wonder was a great announcement
  • Mario RPG remake looks neat
  • Princess Peach getting a game is great but the actual announcement was a nothing burger in terms of details; the mystery is kinda fun forum fodder but I'm absolutely not a fan of that kind of context free reveal
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 port is fine, I guess, but I feel 3 superceded it in every conceivable way and the visual upgrade isn't great so far
  • more WarioWare is good though I don't think I'll have time for it
  • Detective Pikachu looks awfully bland and doesn't interest me at all
  • Pokemon DLC doesn't interest me and had no release date at the time
  • Nothing about Sider Order
  • rare Direct were third party announcements didn't interest me at all (Sonic Superstars was already announced)

But I'll also emphasise I very much didn't expect Nintendo to throw in the towel with Switch and that they'd stop or withdraw support when numerous sources were suggesting there was over 12 months to go before new hardware. I always found that to be utterly nonsensical thinking and, if you'd asked me to put money on a big Christmas title this year, I'd have picked 2D Mario.

For me as long as there's at least one big first party game announced that is a day 1 purchase for me then I'm happy with a Direct. Mario Wonder was that game + the Princess Peach one as a bonus.

It's the Directs with a heavy emphasis on turn based RPGs, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade that don't do much for me. We had one of those recently.

I love the high quality mario platformers, but I'm not someone who loves the brand as a whole, and thus I felt the June direct was very Mario heavy. Wonder is hype, but a SMRPG remake is an odd choice for the top billing November holiday slot, Warioware isn't interesting to me, and PPWSatMCiaBNG(t.) is less "oh shit hyyyyype" and more "oh, cool, that's nice"

With more time passing, I think that the Direct-style presentations are the best format right now. It's just too convenient to watch about 40-55 minutes of trailers than waiting for the big conferences.

Best reveal in the june direct was in the Japanese direct. Good Feel's Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!!
International release confirmed in the June Direct would've been the most exciting reveal for me. Hopefully localisation happens.

June Direct wasn't that great for me but I wouldn't say it was bad:

• rare Direct were third party announcements didn't interest me at all (Sonic Superstars was already announced)

Not a fan of the Second Story remake? That looked amazing (to me)

Thought that would be right up your alley!

September directs are pretty much a sure thing (more so than June), just the timing that changes depending on TGS.
People are leaning towards September 13th I think.
Yeah that’s that I believed too, they happen more where June lately has become the one that people are unsure of.

What’s Pokémon week and would it actually interfere?

Why September 13th?

Not a fan of the Second Story remake? That looked amazing (to me)

Thought that would be right up your alley!
I've never played the Star Ocean series - with limited time for gaming (partially due to health reasons), RPGs are less exicting than they normally would be because I know I'm going to have to limit what I'm getting.

I got Octopath Traveler 2 at launch and still haven't got around to it - hoping I find the time for it in November/December, because it's a 2023 game I wanted to play in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom