• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST6| It’s Prime Time For Some More Wonderful Speculation! (Spoiler Crowd, Remain In This Thread Until The Direct Ends!)

What Metroid Prime Games Are Showing Up At The Next Nintendo Direct?

• Metroid Prime 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 3! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2, 3, and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• No Numbered Games, But Something New And / Or Cool! I #trusttheprocess.

• I #trusttheprocess, but it will test us with nothing for now.

• The process has forsaken us and I have forsaken it.

• Only Metroid Prime Federation Force HD For Some Reason.

• Just A Random JPEG Of Sylux In HD.

• Nothing, Not Even Metroid Prime Pinball. Crocomire Is Still Dead. Just Endless Despair.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best 3D Zelda
starfoxadventures-1646077949202.jpg
me when I lie

the only good answer :

znm7.jpg

2001 to 2015 was really weird with weird sexual stuff that was just awkward and cringy and super sexist in full priced games.

It has largely gone away in full priced games and now is infinitely worse in f2p and mobile games now.

at this point in the Switch's lifecycle as far as realistic things go i'm pretty much just hoping for that Fire Emblem remake out of this

I do feel optimistic about seeing that though

I always adore the ocean gameplay in Wind Waker and finding new islands is fun even if a bit mechanical with the sea chart grid, but the dungeons (my favorite part of Zelda) are fairly weak for me and there’s too few plus the Triforce Quest is such a drag in the original version. I also never really fully vibed with the graphics. For me it’s definitely the weakest of the 3D Zeldas. Still a very creative and good game though. I don’t think this is the year, but I hope we see both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (plus Four Swords Adventures) hit Switch in the next few years or so in the cross gen period with Switch 2.

Uhh, moving on from insulting Zelda games to a bit more positive conversation starter.....

What are some unannounced games y'all expect to release BEFORE the Switch 2? They don't have to be revealed in the September Direct, I'm just asking in general.

For me, I'm thinking a new Paper Mario game (not a remake), Windwaker HD, and a new party game from NDCube will come out before the Switch 2. Paper Mario doesn't really benefit from being a Switch 2 title and will probably be different enough from Mario RPG to release soon after, Windwaker HD is an obvious port, and NDCube releases a game every couple of years so we'll be past due in 2024. I don't expect to see Fire Emblem, DK, or Prime 4 before the next system releases.

I always adore the ocean gameplay in Wind Waker and finding new islands is fun even if a bit mechanical with the sea chart grid, but the dungeons (my favorite part of Zelda) are fairly weak for me and there’s too few plus the Triforce Quest is such a drag in the original version. I also never really fully vibed with the graphics. For me it’s definitely the weakest of the 3D Zeldas. Still a very creative and good game though. I don’t think this is the year, but I hope we see both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (plus Four Swords Adventures) hit Switch in the next few years or so in the cross gen period with Switch 2.
The Great Sea theme really adds to the ocean experience. You truly feel like you’re on an epic adventure. Sooooo good.

I wouldn't be surprised by a Mario Party game next year, with more of an emphasis on the Gamecube games like what Superstars did with the N64 games.

Uhh, moving on from insulting Zelda games to a bit more positive conversation starter.....

What are some unannounced games y'all expect to release BEFORE the Switch 2? They don't have to be revealed in the September Direct, I'm just asking in general.

For me, I'm thinking a new Paper Mario game (not a remake), Windwaker HD, and a new party game from NDCube will come out before the Switch 2. Paper Mario doesn't really benefit from being a Switch 2 title and will probably be different enough from Mario RPG to release soon after, Windwaker HD is an obvious port, and NDCube releases a game every couple of years so we'll be past due in 2024. I don't expect to see Fire Emblem, DK, or Prime 4 before the next system releases.
We'll probably get treated to one more Mario Party game-
I wouldn't be surprised by a Mario Party game next year, with more of an emphasis on the Gamecube games like what Superstars did with the N64 games.
And well I guess I don't need to keep typing anymore 😅

Uhhhhhhhhh maybe Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

For Paper Mario in particular, I think our next game is the rumored TTYD remake and I actually think it has a good shot of having an additional small campaign of some sort. Maybe it’s Luigi’s Waffle Kingdom Adventures (or some riff on that) or some kind of epilogue content, but I think this one is going to be a bigger deal than some of the more straightforward ports / remasters we have seen. It’s mostly just a guess from timing and I think it’ll launch next Summer so it won’t get announced here.

I do think FE Genealogy, DK, and F-Zero are certainly hitting before Switch 2 hits, with Prime 4 I’m 50/50 on if it’ll be a cross gen launch title.

As for other games, Tomodachi, Rhythm Heaven, and a new HAL eshop game all seem like solid contenders. I’d love a new Fortune Street and Zelda Four Swords game, but those ships might have sailed now.

just realized why 2D Mario sells better then 3D, it's because the 2D ones have "bros" meaning the people crave more Luigi

For Paper Mario in particular, I think our next game is the rumored TTYD remake and I actually think it has a good shot of having an additional small campaign of some sort. Maybe it’s Luigi’s Waffle Kingdom Adventures (or some riff on that) or some kind of epilogue content, but I think this one is going to be a bigger deal than some of the more straightforward ports / remasters we have seen. It’s mostly just a guess from timing and I think it’ll launch next Summer so it won’t get announced here.

I do think FE Genealogy, DK, and F-Zero are certainly hitting before Switch 2 hits, with Prime 4 I’m 50/50 on if it’ll be a cross gen launch title.

As for other games, Tomodachi, Rhythm Heaven, and a new HAL eshop game all seem like solid contenders. I’d love a new Fortune Street and Zelda Four Swords game, but those ships might have sailed now.
My thought process on Paper Mario is that it's been three years since the last game, soon to be four next year. Unless TTYD is a ground up remake, that seems like a long time for a remaster. The next mainline game is probably pretty far along at this point. Origami King sold really well on Switch, so the next game just makes sense on this system. Save TTYD for early Switch 2.

As for DK, that definitely seems like something they would save for the next system. It's going to be the big comeback for the series. Maybe it'll be cross-gen, but it won't release until Switch 2 is out.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a Star Fox on Switch. Not sure where it could slot in if the holidays have Marios and we still have Prime 4 to account for, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see it before the release of new hardware. Unless they really wanna hold off and do something mind-blowing with new hardware (which I don't really expect 😅)

Our first weekly discussion question is officially up now!

Week 1 – From the two Directs this year, which game or games would you most like to see an update on at the next Direct?

I'll be posting a new question every week around this time, midnight from Wednesday into Thursday. I have six questions prepared, because TGS starts in six weeks now! Hopefully we'll be seeing our next Nintendo Direct by then :)
Super Mario wonder for sure.

I would like to see another update for metal gear to get me hyped.

Possible but, I think the main Mario Party team will try to move forward with the series. Everybody 1-2 Switch pushes it back for me but, I think that would just make it a June/July title instead of a March title. Releasing past that point puts it too close to the Switch 2's proposed release date and it doesn't seem like a title that would gel well as a cross-gen release.

But is it a good Paper Mario like Origami King is?
Origami King didn’t sell that great as all the other Nintendo IP’s did on switch. And it’s one new game per system as Nintendo told Ubisoft for Mario games. They won’t release a new Paper Mario on Switch. That will be for switch 2. Ports and remasters is a different conversation

A lot of people love Super Mario RPG. That same love doesn’t exist for Origami King. People do like it and people still think the direction is mixed.

Last edited:
Origami King didn’t sell that great and it’s one new game per system as Nintendo told Ubisoft for Mario games. They won’t release a new Paper Mario on Switch. That will be for switch 2. Ports and remasters is a different conversation

A lot of people love Super Mario RPG. That same love doesn’t exist for Origami King.
That's actually a great point! I wonder if that's why we haven't gotten an Odyssey 2.

Origami King didn’t sell that great as all the other Nintendo IP’s did on switch. And it’s one new game per system as Nintendo told Ubisoft for Mario games. They won’t release a new Paper Mario on Switch. That will be for switch 2. Ports and remasters is a different conversation

A lot of people love Super Mario RPG. That same love doesn’t exist for Origami King. People do like it and people still think the direction is mixed.
Botw, tears of the kingdom.
splatoon 2-3
fire emblem three houses , engage
xenoblade 2-3
pokemon

I think from IS, FE4 remake is way more likely than another switch Paper Mario. I still think the next PM will be TTYD Remastered anyway, and that a new one is a long way off. Hell, maybe SMRPG remake is in place of Paper Mario while IS doubles down on FE (and is also putting out WarioWare this year as well!)

It may seem too soon for FE, but if you think about it… it’s essentially equivalent to the 3DS lineup.

Awakening = Three Houses
Engage = Fates
FE4 Remake = Echoes SoV

Two new games and a remake. Fates and Echoes were also released less than two years apart, and when you factor in also that the actual gap in development time between the two likely isn’t as small as you’d think given how long Nintendo reportedly sat on Engage… I just think the stars align for FE4.

This seems to be a Mario-specific thing. And it's not a rumor either, Ubisoft confirmed it themselves.
Let’s be real, it wasn’t because Mario rabbids 2 was on og switch as a reason it wasn’t as well received. The battle system is not as enjoyable as the first and the game just isn’t as good.

Let’s be real, it wasn’t because Mario rabbids 2 was on og switch as a reason it wasn’t as well received. The battle system is not as enjoyable as the first and the game just isn’t as good.
The game reviewed really well, is regarded as an improvement on the original, and the battle system is infinitely better. It just didn't sell well.

For clarity, Nintendo advised that it's better to do one per system. Not a hard rule (as evidenced by Spark of Hope releasing on the OG Switch lol)

Although, I think it was a different issue with Mario. We had already released a Mario Rabbids game [on Switch], so by doing another we had two similar experiences on one machine. On Nintendo, games like this never die. There are 25 Mario games on Switch. Nintendo [has advised] that it's better to do one iteration on each machine. We were a bit too early, we should have waited for [the next console]."
source

For clarity, Nintendo advised that it's better to do one per system. Not a hard rule (as evidenced by Spark of Hope releasing on the OG Switch lol)

source
Yeah advised. And look at Nintendo and Mario. Paper Mario has been a one game per system since the N64. Not sure why that would change now.

I'd be down for a Star Fox Adventure port. I didn't own the game but my friend did and I played it just a bit. I didn't have the urge to get it after trying it but I think I would be more open to it nowadays. Back in the day, I was disappointed it wasn't as good as Zelda and it wasn't a full fledge Star Fox game. But as I get older, I can appreciate games that took unexpected directions and appreciate them for what they are. Plus I was naïve back then thinking I wouldn't have to wait too long for new Zelda games or that 3D Zelda-like games were common things. Turns out they are not!

For me, I'm thinking a new Paper Mario game (not a remake), Windwaker HD, and a new party game from NDCube will come out before the Switch 2. Paper Mario doesn't really benefit from being a Switch 2 title and will probably be different enough from Mario RPG to release soon after, Windwaker HD is an obvious port, and NDCube releases a game every couple of years so we'll be past due in 2024. I don't expect to see Fire Emblem, DK, or Prime 4 before the next system releases
Besides all the usual rumored remasters/remakes (FE4, F-Zero X, Kid Icarus, Prime 2/3, TTYD, the Zelda, probably forgetting a few), a couple things jump out to me

- Camelot's about due for a new game, and I think they'll probably try to fit one more game onto the Switch before they need to start making yet another pair of tennis and golf games. My head says it'd be a variety sports game like Sports Superstars, but my heart says Golden Sun 1+2 remakes a la Advance Wars.

- I think Grezzo should probably have something soon; guessing either a smaller new IP (like how Ever Oasis was a late 3DS game), or a new topdown Zelda, and either way something that doesn't really need to wait for next gen

- it's the Famicom's 40th anniversary, so it'd sorta make sense to have Indieszero do something with NES Remix (either a port of Ultimate NES Remix, or a new game entirely)

- probably too soon for a new Kirby, but I wouldn't be surprised if HAL has a non-Kirby eshop game of a similar scope to Boxboy or Part-Time UFO

That "one game per system" rule clearly isn't universal (look at Splatoon, Pokemon, FE, Zelda, etc.), and I don't even think it's specific to Mario as a whole; I think Nintendo was probably specifically advising Mario and Rabbids 2 to wait until Switch 2.

Why? Well, this is probably a very spicy take, but the original M+R was basically sold on a gimmick and being a first year Switch game. Plus, it was published by Ubisoft, so they've basically been giving that shit away for free for the past like, five years. It also released at a time when there were no other Mario games besides MK8D, whereas M+R 2 released years later after we'd gotten about a billion different Mario games with much wider appeal.

Really, though, the issues outlined above may have not even been that big of a deal if not for the fact that the game is very similar to the first one. That's the crux of the issue imo, and why other franchises have gotten multiple games on Switch; these franchises (usually) try to differentiate themselves more between different entries. Not just between two entries on the same console, but between multiple entries across multiple consoles. Honestly, that's probably what Nintendo meant when they advised Ubisoft to save M+R 2 for the successor. They just figured it was a waste to put a very similar sequel on the same platform as its predecessor.

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope “didn’t sell well,” whatever that means, because Ubisoft hasn’t sold it for 15 bones yet. I love both games dearly but I didn’t pull the trigger on Kingdom Battle until 4 years after it released when it was $15, and also because the sequel had been leaked announced that day. Clearly that worked to Ubisoft’s advantage because I preordered the gold edition of Sparks of Hope at full price.

source
Pretty much. They'll release multiple games per system in a series/sub-series (hello there, 2D Mario and 2D Zelda) if they think they can make money off of them. If they don't think it's worth it, they won't. Don't see why people are acting like it's some sort of mandate handed down from on high.

Last edited:
Pretty much. They'll release multiple games per system in a series/sub-series (hello there, 2D Mario and 2D Zelda) if they think they can make money off of them. If they don't think it's worth it, they'll won't. Don't see why people are acting like it's some sort of mandate handed down from on high.
Except no one has said anything is a mandate. There’s exceptions all over the place. Sorry it hasn’t happened with Paper Mario.

Except no one has said anything is a mandate. There’s exceptions all over the place. Sorry it hasn’t happened with Paper Mario.
I don't really see it happening with Paper Mario since SMRPG is coming, even if that's not a Paper Mario game, it's still a Mario RPG. If Switch was getting TTYDHD this would be the time for it. Unless they sneak it out mid-2024 or something after a good gap post-SMRPG, I think it'll be a Switch 2 game.

I don't really see it happening with Paper Mario since SMRPG is coming, even if that's not a Paper Mario game, it's still a Mario RPG. If Switch was getting TTYDHD this would be the time for it. Unless they sneak it out mid-2024 or something after a good gap post-SMRPG, I think it'll be a Switch 2 game.
It feels like the next mainline PM could already be far along in development, and I doubt TTYD is a significant-enough remaster/remake that it served as a huge resource vacuum for IS. I think the next PM is for sure Switch 2, but a TTYD remaster isn't out of the question for 2024.

What do y'all think the topic is going to be? My guess will be an episode focused around Baldur's Gate 3 and the state of the GOTY race heading into Fall.

What do y'all think the topic is going to be? My guess will be an episode focused around Baldur's Gate 3 and the state of the GOTY race heading into Fall.

GOTY Race is a topic we are considering for late next month. Want to delve into Starfield before touching that topic... though we could then also wait for Spider Man 2 and Mario Wonder... shit.

GOTY Race is a topic we are considering for late next month. Want to delve into Starfield before touching that topic... though we could then also wait for Spider Man 2 and Mario Wonder... shit.
Ha, yeah, it's hard to say where the buck stops with that topic. After Starfield does feel right though, imo - it's arguably the last huge behemoth/wildcard for 2023. Spider-Man 2 is basically guaranteed to be really good, but really iterative, and Mario Wonder is likely to be a 90+ MC (or close to it) but perhaps not "TGA" enough for a nom.

Glad to hear we could potentially get a GOTY conversation after the September Direct predictions and reflection episodes ;)

Prediction. We will see some of this in the next direct...or not...

Metroid Prime 4
Zelda TotK DLC
Mario Kart 8 DLC Wave 6
Paper Mario TTYD
Metroid Prime 2 & 3
F- Zero GX
Something Mario Party
Something Fire Emblem
Something Donkey Kong
Something Mario & Sonic Olympics

Mass Effect
Tomb Raider
Fallout
Just Cause
Hitman
Halo
Resident Evil
New Rayman

The game reviewed really well, is regarded as an improvement on the original, and the battle system is infinitely better. It just didn't sell well.
I don’t actually think I’ve spoken to anyone that enjoyed sparks battle system compared to kingdom, but fair enough. I definitely wouldn’t call it infinitely better though. Easily one turning reach point maps and just spamming dash’s with no regards to movement, isn’t what I really want from a strategy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom