• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sept/Oct for Zelda remasters is like up to 8 months from BOTW 2 potentially (if we assume its coming between now and June - I don't personally think its coming in March) which seems fine/about right

Now that you mention it, I was curious why Nintendo had this big gap between late September and the first half of October.
  • Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) - September 9th, 2022
  • 5 weeks of nothing from Nintendo
  • Mario & Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft) - October 20th, 2022
  • Bayonetta 3 (Nintendo) - October 28th, 2022
There's definitely enough space for another retail game to slot in there somewhere.

Now that you mention it, I was curious why Nintendo had this big gap between late September and the first half of October.
There's definitely enough space for another retail game to slot in there somewhere.
Nintendo does have the physical release of Bayonetta 1, perhaps they count that in that 5 week period?

Quoted by: pld
I agree, but my conclusion is different. Since people are very sure WW/TP are going to be there, to me that points to BotW2 probably not releasing 2-4 months later. Which honestly seems quite possible even if there wasn’t a rumor of a different Zelda game being released; at any given time, the odds of “Will the big new mainline 3D Zelda game get delayed?” are never terrible. And I think they’re going to want to promote the heck out of it, including an appearance at E3. Throw in rumors of it potentially launching alongside new hardware (and all the supply chain chaos that releasing new hardware entails right now) and I see a lot of reasons to believe that BotW2 might not be coming out in, like, March.
Yeah this is a good read of the situation too, I can see this being the case.

Zelda ports Team December?

There are already two big titles schedules for October and November (assuming Metroid Prime Remastered is coming in November).

If WW/TP release in like September / October and BOTW2 releases in June, I'd say that's more than enough space.
The other thing is, I've never understood why Nintendo would be releasing these two games together. When have they done that with Zelda before? Why wouldn't they space them out?

Maybe Nintendo is looking at a future hardware launch and realizing they have a lot of finished games that would be more appropriate to launch on the Switch than the next Switch.

Since they're sitting on a lot of finished games, they might be in a position where they want to squeeze in some games between now and new hardware.

Yeah, if you look at Nintendo’s past Q4s there’s definitely room for another game in the first half of October, as well as another game in the first half of November (Metroid?) and potentially another lower-profile game on December 2 (Kirby collection? Blue ocean title?).

Man, I'm likely delusional for fruitlessly hoping that FE can get some sort of release this December lmao.

The other thing is, I've never understood why Nintendo would be releasing these two games together. When have they done that with Zelda before? Why wouldn't they space them out?
maxresdefault_4_c6444076-55b7-409b-8550-7c048c89baee.jpg

This is what I was saying earlier in the summer - I wondered if Prime HD might plug that gap but that seems to be a November release.

There certainly is room for a surprise release. Link's Awakening did big numbers launching alongside the Lite in late September 2019.

SaGa Frontier 2 rumoured to be revealed soon while Minstrel Song is supposed to be coming out in a few months, Unlimited SaGa's time is coming.

Probably mentioned already but Wind Waker limited edition also came with OoT and Master Quest. Hadn't really considered these instances as precedent for both coming in a double pack! My suspicion is it might a deal where you can buy them individually or get a discount on buying them together.

Wow, have been some days outside the forum and this is a lot of new info. I see to many games rumoured, I don't think the direct will be so packed, if so it would be one of the bests ever. Also, there are now rumors of modern warfare remastered? That would be amazing.

We don't know anything about silksong yet, right? Maybe it could reach 2022 also.

This is the main reason why I was suspicious on Zelda. The only way I can make sense of it is Nintendo know they won't need those ports in say 2024 or 2025. It's not unreasonable to think that another Zelda is in the works - perhaps a remake with Grezzo (Oracles), or a new game from EPD and Grezzo - as well as a third Hyrule Warriors, given Age of Calamity sold 4 million.

In an ideal world, it's new 2D Zelda one year and a brand new spin off the other. But my guess is Nintendo are confident they can keep annual Zelda going even if they launch the ports now.

I see to many games rumoured, I don't think the direct will be so packed
I agree it's good to be realistic and they likely won't/can't show everything that's being floated, but I think some of the rumoured third party ports could be shown in a sizzle reel near the end, with longer trailers posted separately.

Yeah, I could absolutely see them pulling a "Mario 3D All-Stars" with this and releasing it within weeks. But we'll see.

I always saw Metroid Prime more as a November/December game myself, I was "expecting" the Zelda ports in late September/early October

'Spring 2023' date for BotW2 could extend as far as May-June. I think there's precedent for Nintendo saying 'Spring' for a game and it releasing in June... I just don't remember what it is. :p

WWHD/TPHD double pack in Oct-Nov means a possible 7-8 months til BotW2.

Not sure how likely any of these dates are, but it seems like a sufficient enough gap for those two remasters to tide folks over til the sequel's out. I assume they must have other Zelda games in the pipeline to fill the void after BotW2 and its DLCs. Originally I assumed WW+TP would fill that void, but maybe they have other surprises in mind (new 2D Zelda pls)
ARMS was announced as a spring release and came mid June.

We've had Majora's Mask 3D announced as spring and coming in February tho.

I think it's gonna be March because it's been a very important month for Nintendo during all of Switch era.

Everybody’s 1-2-Switch is definitely more interesting than ports of Zelda HD remasters. I want to see what it is. I love weird “blue ocean” Nintendo.

I mean maybe, they are releasing windwaker/ tp as pre-order bonus for Breath of the Wild 2? Doubtful because they can easily sell them but what if…
That would be the absolute best case scenario and I would definitely pre-order BotW 2 right away. But sadly Nintendo hasn't gone this bonkers ever since Mario Kart 8 launch, where by buying it you could choose between other 60$ Wii U titles for free.

I wish they did it once again at least once. As pre order bonus receiving a game that has long reached its peak/port of a Wii U game that isn't Mario would be sweet.

The Collector's Edition for GameCube had Ocarina + Majora (and Zelda I + II). At that time of release Ocarina and Majora were only 3-5 years old. By now Twilight Princess HD is almost 6 years old itself, the original GameCube games even older.

And I know - the Collector's Edition did not have a consistent retail release, so it's not a perfect comparison. But they still bundled those two relatively recent (at the time) games together, rendered at a higher resolution with emulation (flaws nonwithstanding).

Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD are not new HD releases like Skyward Sword, nor are they games originally built for the ground up for Wii U like MK8, Mario 3D World, etc. They're remasters of now almost 20 year old GameCube games, with the Wii U versions completed.

So I'm not personally ruling out a $60 double pack provided there are no other changes. If they put in 60fps for both and add HD rumble or whatever, maybe they do $40 both and a limited edition $70 bundle. Or some other scheme that I'm too tired to come up with.

Btw... Skyward Sword HD not having HD rumble is such a missed opportunity.

Assuming we get a general Direct, do you all think Monday will be one of those rare occasions where Nintendo will specifically say whether BoTW2 coverage is included or not?

I personally feel like they would absolutely need to disclaimer its exclusion, at least. Otherwise the whole Direct will be clouded by disappointment.

Prime's 20th anniversary is in November, right? I'm sure we're getting Prime HD in November, so yeah, WW/TP HD slotting in late September/early October feels so right imo

ARMS was announced as a spring release and came mid June.

We've had Majora's Mask 3D announced as spring and coming in February tho.

I think it's gonna be March because it's been a very important month for Nintendo during all of Switch era.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land was announced in September direct as Spring 2022 and came March 25th (release date announced in January) so it could certainly mean end of March, but feel like its more likely April/May/June

I’m rooting for no Zelda BotW2 this direct.

Held it back for the Switch 2 announcement early next year.

I'm going April 29th for BotW2, feels, I dunno, appropriate in my soul.
Y'know, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did come in April 28th, so maybe??

May is a weird month on the Switch era... Nintendo moved from not releasing games in the summer(June-August) on Wii U era and having May as the biggest non-holiday month of the year(Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Galaxy 2 on the Wii), to being a third party month(2017) or having ports as its launch, and none of MK8DX level(DKCTF, HWDE, XBCDE) and having key and huge titles coming in June and July.

April hasn't gone as big as March with the sole exception of 2017 and 2022 I guess with Switch Sports?

If Zelda isn't March (and I don't think it is), I wonder if we might get Fire Emblem then. Like Kirby this year, it's a medium tier franchise that could do well in that slot.

A single Zelda port in October, followed by BotW2 ~6 months later (within the fiscal year please Reggie) would be a reasonable way to rationali.... I mean frame a Zelda port this year along with BotW2 in March. In the name of Hylia, amen.

Also Prime + WW/TP + BotW2 full reveal would make this the single most impressive Direct I've seen since early 2017.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land was announced in September direct as Spring 2022 and came March 25th (release date announced in January) so it could certainly mean end of March, but feel like its more likely April/May/June
Idk if it really feels more likely in April, May or June than March tbh.
March 2017- Breath of the Wild
March 2020- Animal Crossing New Horizons
March 2021- Monster Hunter Rise (with Super Mario 3D World+ Bowser's Fury in February)
March 2022- Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Most critically acclaimed/big sellers of H1 came out in March during Switch era.

Meanwhile, April:
2017: MK8DX
2018: Labo
2019: nothing iirc?
2020: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
2021: ... Nothing?
2022: Nintendo Switch Sports

May gets even worse:
2017: nothing, minor 3rd party exclusives like Ultra Street Fighter II, ports like Disgaea 5 Complete
2018: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze port, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
2019: nothing iirc
2020: nothing
2021: Miitopia, Famicom Detective Club
2022: nothing

Meanwhile, June, being the second biggest month in a few years and the biggest in only one iirc:
2017: ARMS
2018: Mario Tennis Aces, Sushi Striker
2019: Super Mario Maker 2
2020: Clubhouse Games
2021: Mario Golf
2022: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes and Mario Strikers Battle League

Going by scheduling strategies Nintendo has shown during all of Switch era, March seems like the most likely month. Specially for delayed games, Animal Crossing New Horizons was supposed to come in 2019, BotW in 2016, SM3DW+BF(February) supposed to come in holiday 2020, etc.

Last edited:
If Zelda isn't March (and I don't think it is), I wonder if we might get Fire Emblem then. Like Kirby this year, it's a medium tier franchise that could do well in that slot.
This is what I've been thinking will happen for a while. I think FE17 will be this year's Forgotten Land: revealed in the September Direct as the big March game for the following year. Zelda could be... I dunno, May or early June or something.

This would be a good Direct to announce some Xenoblade 3 costumes for BotW/2, and any BotW1 save file bonuses for BotW2 (like Age of Calamity). Drive sales of all these games for the holiday.

'Spring 2023' date for BotW2 could extend as far as May-June. I think there's precedent for Nintendo saying 'Spring' for a game and it releasing in June... I just don't remember what it is. :p

WWHD/TPHD double pack in Oct-Nov means a possible 7-8 months til BotW2.

Not sure how likely any of these dates are, but it seems like a sufficient enough gap for those two remasters to tide folks over til the sequel's out. I assume they must have other Zelda games in the pipeline to fill the void after BotW2 and its DLCs. Originally I assumed WW+TP would fill that void, but maybe they have other surprises in mind (new 2D Zelda pls)

I'm sure there's an example for all months in "spring".. but from the latest games announced for that window we got march/april.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land -> March
Advance Wars -> Initially delayed to spring which turned out to be april before being delayed TBD

So who knows :>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom