• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk if it really feels more likely in April, May or June than March tbh.
March 2017- Breath of the Wild
March 2020- Animal Crossing New Horizons
March 2021- Monster Hunter Rise (with Super Mario 3D World+ Bowser's Fury in February)
March 2022- Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Most critically acclaimed/big sellers of H1 came out in March during Switch era.

Meanwhile, April:
2017: MK8DX
2018: Labo
2019: nothing iirc?
2020: iirc nothing again
2021: ... Nothing?
2022: Nintendo Switch Sports

May gets even worse:
2017: nothing, minor 3rd party exclusives like Ultra Street Fighter II, ports like Disgaea 5 Complete
2018: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze port, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
2019: nothing iirc
2020: nothing
2021: Miitopia, Famicom Detective Club
2022: nothing

Meanwhile, June, being the second biggest month in a few years and the biggest in only one iirc:
2017: ARMS
2018: Mario Tennis Aces, Sushi Striker
2019: Super Mario Maker 2
2020: Clubhouse Games
2021: Mario Golf
2022: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes and Mario Strikers Battle League

Going by scheduling strategies Nintendo has shown during all of Switch era, March seems like the most likely month. Specially for delayed games, Animal Crossing New Horizons was supposed to come in 2019, BotW in 2016, SM3DW+BF(February) supposed to come in holiday 2020, etc.
Happy to be wrong, just feel like it might need more time than March but if we see a good chunk in this direct then I'd say March is definitely possible

I also think if BOTW 2 is indeed getting delayed again (past June at least) then we won't see more then a teaser here, maybe with the full title too.

Happy to be wrong, just feel like it might need more time than March but if we see a good chunk in this direct then I'd say March is definitely possible
Yes!! I'm not so sure either lol I think April is just as likely actually. March or February feel right if they want to release alongside hardware tho. I don't there's any successful console that released in May or April.

Ugh, Leisure Suit Larry... Don't tell me it's that s*x game of the PS2, please.
Oh, God, I forgot that was a thing. I meant the really old ones, like from the late 80s and 90s. Those were also raunchy and filled to the brim with sex jokes, but at least they were point-and-click games with actual gameplay.

For what is worth, I was kidding with my previous comment. I haven't played those games in ages and I'm sure most of the humor has aged like milk.

This would be a good Direct to announce some Xenoblade 3 costumes for BotW/2, and any BotW1 save file bonuses for BotW2 (like Age of Calamity). Drive sales of all these games for the holiday.

Omg a Noah costume for Link would be so cool. Give him Noah’s high ponytail hair style too.

Oh, God, I forgot that was a thing. I meant the really old ones, like from the late 80s and 90s. Those were also raunchy and filled to the brim with sex jokes, but at least they were point-and-click games with actual gameplay.

For what is worth, I was kidding with my previous comment. I haven't played those games in ages and I'm sure most of the humor has aged like milk.
We really just need the classic Quest games, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, etc.

Maybe Phantasmagoria cause that game is utterly ridiculous.

Idk if it really feels more likely in April, May or June than March tbh.
March 2017- Breath of the Wild
March 2020- Animal Crossing New Horizons
March 2021- Monster Hunter Rise (with Super Mario 3D World+ Bowser's Fury in February)
March 2022- Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Most critically acclaimed/big sellers of H1 came out in March during Switch era.

Meanwhile, April:
2017: MK8DX
2018: Labo
2019: nothing iirc?
2020: iirc nothing again
2021: ... Nothing?
2022: Nintendo Switch Sports

May gets even worse:
2017: nothing, minor 3rd party exclusives like Ultra Street Fighter II, ports like Disgaea 5 Complete
2018: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze port, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
2019: nothing iirc
2020: nothing
2021: Miitopia, Famicom Detective Club
2022: nothing

Meanwhile, June, being the second biggest month in a few years and the biggest in only one iirc:
2017: ARMS
2018: Mario Tennis Aces, Sushi Striker
2019: Super Mario Maker 2
2020: Clubhouse Games
2021: Mario Golf
2022: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes and Mario Strikers Battle League

Going by scheduling strategies Nintendo has shown during all of Switch era, March seems like the most likely month. Specially for delayed games, Animal Crossing New Horizons was supposed to come in 2019, BotW in 2016, SM3DW+BF(February) supposed to come in holiday 2020, etc.
late may 2020 we got Xenoblade DE.

Picture of gamecube zelda promo disc

That's a fair point, but Nintendo was in a totally different situation then. That was a promo disc, they threw it in to try to sell more consoles and games at a time they weren't selling a ton of consoles. 4 free Zelda games with a GameCube makes it more appealing, even if people never played them...

For WW:HD and TP:HD, they'd sell those at retail. People would buy them to play them. They're not short games and HD remasters stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Skyward Sword HD released last year, which sold 3.6 million copies. The only reason I can see them bundling these 2 games together right before BotW 2 is to say "This Zelda collection is an appetizer. It's not the main course, so don't fill up on it". But why downplay them like that? They could do the same thing with a smaller spin-off or an online 4 swords-style game.

Or maybe BotW 2 is delayed again and these are the apology.

I'm sure there's an example for all months in "spring".. but from the latest games announced for that window we got march/april.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land -> March
Advance Wars -> Initially delayed to spring which turned out to be april before being delayed TBD

So who knows :>
Yeah from all the examples posted in this thread, seems like a lot of leeway. When they originally gave that Spring 2023 date for the delay I immediately assumed the tail end of that timeframe so they have all the time they need. Possible Zelda ports makes the wait easier. If they get it out earlier than I expect I ain't complaining. I'm not waiting for new hardware to play this game anyway. Even if it launches with Switch Advance I probably won't get my hands on the system Day 1 in these times. ;_;

We really just need the classic Quest games, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, etc.

Maybe Phantasmagoria cause that game is utterly ridiculous.
You read that, Nintendo? It's time to unleash the Roberta and Ken Williams Direct. We demand it!

That's a fair point, but Nintendo was in a totally different situation then. That was a promo disc, they threw it in to try to sell more consoles and games at a time they weren't selling a ton of consoles. 4 free Zelda games with a GameCube makes it more appealing, even if people never played them...

For WW:HD and TP:HD, they'd sell those at retail. People would buy them to play them. They're not short games and HD remasters stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Skyward Sword HD released last year, which sold 3.6 million copies. The only reason I can see them bundling these 2 games together right before BotW 2 is to say "This Zelda collection is an appetizer. It's not the main course, so don't fill up on it". But why downplay them like that? They could do the same thing with a smaller spin-off or an online 4 swords-style game.

Or maybe BotW 2 is delayed again and these are the apology.
The other point I was trying to make is that so far as I know the games aren't necessarily being rumored as being in a 2 game collection. So the alternative, with the expectation that they're releasing at the same time or near each other strikes me as very odd.

You read that, Nintendo? It's time to unleash the Roberta and Ken Williams Direct. We demand it!
Gotta direct that request towards Microsoft now but yeah.

(Also add in Corey and Lori Cole)

Lmao I only recognized it because of my teenage days watching gaming curiosities YouTubers, they always mentioned those games. I'm surprised they're on the Switch.

Not that Switch hasn't become the second house(Steam is the first) of some nasty games lol.

BTW, regarding the new FE's artstyle, while it'll probably look a lot different than what we're used to going off the leaked pics and what Gust games typically look like, I think it'll also look waaaaay better visually than 3H, so it won't be much of an issue for most people after the initial shock wears off.

Looking a recent Gust games, (since Ryza) they honestly look really nice for the most part. Not perfect or anything, there's still some iffy parts here and there, (although nowhere near as bad as 3H) and they don't look like, super advanced or anything, but pretty nice regardless.

Graphics are only one piece of the puzzle though as far as presentation and production values are concerned. I think other aspects will be improved too. Going off of both Three Hopes and the leaked pics, the new game will probably have supports and whatnot in actual 3d environments rather than terrible looking warped backgrounds. There will probably be a larger variety of better looking animations this time for both battles and supports. I think there's a really good chance we get a new character artist for this game, whose artstyle could look better than 3H's character art. We could get a different style of CG cutscenes from a different studio that look way better than 3H's CG cutscenes. Even the UI, which already looked really nice in 3H, could look even better in the new game. So yeah. This game could end up looking waaaay better than 3H. I sure hope so lol. IS is good at listening to criticism, I have faith.

This is what I've been thinking will happen for a while. I think FE17 will be this year's Forgotten Land: revealed in the September Direct as the big March game for the following year. Zelda could be... I dunno, May or early June or something.
Yeah I was thinking the same for Zelda because of the potential ports launching soon.

Wow, have been some days outside the forum and this is a lot of new info. I see to many games rumoured, I don't think the direct will be so packed, if so it would be one of the bests ever. Also, there are now rumors of modern warfare remastered? That would be amazing.

We don't know anything about silksong yet, right? Maybe it could reach 2022 also.

I feel the same way. COVID delayed so many games that are now struggling to find a spot in this year's switch lineup, given that and the fact that we are starting to smell the winds of a new switch for next year. Everyone is running to capitalize on the lack of big Nintendo games such as a new 3D Mario or our beloved Zelda for this holiday season. (So far anyhow, coz the rumoured Direct may change this perception)

Not that Switch hasn't become the second house(Steam is the first) of some nasty games lol.
Yeah... I know Nintendo said that as long as it wasn't AO, content wasn't an issue regarding third party games, but it still feels weird navigating the eShop and coming across games that are clearly erotic visual novels that simply had the sex scenes removed.

I can happen next direct that it closes with the announcement of both new 2D Mario and first mario movie trailer (or at least a date of when they will show the first teaser)

I find it odd that there's still the perception there aren't many big Nintendo titles this year when Splatoon 3 literally came out yesterday, open world Pokemon is out in November, and Ubisoft Milan have a major Mario spin off out in October. Nintendo and Switch are sorted for big sellers this Christmas, especially with Switch Sports already on the market and selling strongly.

Like yeah, I get where the perception comes from (big budget single player games are regarded as The Biggest Thing, therefore 3D Mario and 3D Zelda are Nintendo's Biggest Things). But I still find the failure to move on from that paradigm/narrative odd.

We could all be wrong, what if they sucker punch us and are all like…..

BAM! BotW 2 is launching this December
BAM! Zelda ports are actually coming Spring 2023
BAM! Stinky Horse has now added a Zelda themed mini game

i actually hope BOTW2 is a summer game so i can actually have time to play it away from collage
I hope your college isn't too expensive.

I can see a mid April release for BOTW2. Really hard to say though, I imagine they would have said Summer 2023 if they weren't confident they would make Spring.

That must be one time consuming collage you're working on.
I have a bad habit of not wanting to play video games unless I complete all the work I need to get done that week first, but i;m also have a terrible procrastination problems so it usually takes longer then needed

I find it odd that there's still the perception there aren't many big Nintendo titles this year when Splatoon 3 literally came out yesterday, open world Pokemon is out in November, and Ubisoft Milan have a major Mario spin off out in October. Nintendo and Switch are sorted for big sellers this Christmas, especially with Switch Sports already on the market and selling strongly.

Like yeah, I get where the perception comes from (big budget single player games are regarded as The Biggest Thing, therefore 3D Mario and 3D Zelda are Nintendo's Biggest Things). But I still find the failure to move on from that paradigm/narrative odd.
And Bayonetta 3, while niche, is still pure core video game, so usually people on the internet consider it as a big game lol (and it seems really ambitious too). I'm sure this will be another million seller for PlatinumGames/Nintendo.

Not to mention Kirby and the Forgotten Land earlier this year, this was a very important game imo. I legit saw multiple "core focused" youtuber being all about Elden Ring in February and March, and then when Kirby released were like "you all gotta play that for real" lol. Had one of my best friend, who never once played a Kirby game before and who only plays Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Smash on Nintendo consoles, super excited for the game lol.

Legit is a good year for everyone on Switch, for core and casual players.

I'm going to be watching the Direct like this for every second Metroid Prime is not shown:

0oA32Ll.gif

I completely lost track of the current rumour meta because people keep referencing stuff from videos and podcasts and what not. Maybe being a bit out of the loop is for the best though.

My biggest question about the Metroid Prime announcement is how Nintendo is going to broach the subject of it not being Metroid Prime 4.

Will they start like they did with Dread where they mention Prime 4 still being in development but will show Prime 1 in the meantime?

Will they start off with Prime Remaster footage and confuse/annoy everyone thinking it's Prime 4?

Will they start off with a Prime 4 trailer then end with Prime 1 as a bonus?

I honestly have no idea and it's the most interesting part of the reveal for me.

I havent played Prime yet as a new Metroid fan, pretty excited to try it out once it comes to Switch. Is the 1st one generally seen as the best?
It's definitely my personal favorite of the trilogy but I think each of the three games has its individual fans who think it's the best.

We're in gear 2 right now.

Gear 3 and 4 comes 14:55.

Gear 5 comes after the tweet.

Gear 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 happens in steady succession in the hours before it airs.

We're approaching.
That many gears?
What is this, a Fast&Furious car?
this is probably a niche post for this community

I havent played Prime yet as a new Metroid fan, pretty excited to try it out once it comes to Switch. Is the 1st one generally seen as the best?
I think the first did the best of translating the 2D feel into the FPA (first person adventure) gameplay. It also has the biggest feeling of isolation I think. Echoes gets shit with the dark/light mechanic, but I think it’s great. Never did play 3 even though I have it on Wii and the trilogy on WiiU.

Yes. But they are all amazing and different in their own, unique ways.

3 might be considered the "worst" due to objective design (segmented instead of one planet), but it still has some of the strongest sequences in the whole trilogy. I really hope all three make it over to Switch at some point or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom