• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know that there were only ever 4 games released on the Gamecube? That's where all this hubbub is coming from!

Earlier people were ranking JRPG and adjacent series based off prestige, let’s do it based off how much they personally matter to you! Mainline releases, no spinoffs, anime, etc. I think I ranked most active franchises, if I forgot something at me.

S tier (day one highest priority): Xenoblade, Trails, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts

A Tier (very excited, beats out most things): Ys, Yakuza, Mario RPGs, Valkyria Chronicles, Nier

B Tier (not a priority, but excited to play it): Blue Reflection, Team Asano, Persona

C Tier (likely backlog): Disgaea, Tales, Dragon Quest

D Tier (regularly backlog): Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Atelier, Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei

E Tier (probably not): Monster Hunter, Neptunia

F Tier (Nope): Soulsbornekiroring

I have Pokemon low for where it historically places for me, very excited for SV though. That’s the first day one A tier hype for me in decades. Legends Arceus was awesome.

Last edited:
User banned for 1 week for use of alt-right terminology and associated rhetoric related to toxic masculinity -Aurc, Donnie, hologram, paranoodle
If you think HE'S BAD oh ho ho look no further!

Switchforce is a living meme tbh.This soyboy is literally a walking "my wifes boyfriend bought me a nintendo switch so I started a youtube channel" /pol/ shitpost that somehow managed to materialize into reality.
I refuse to believe that Switchforce is anything but an overly ellaborate piece of performance art because the alternative is far too depressing to humor.

I feel pretty good about not knowing what the deal with Switchforce is.
You're not missing much.He's a nintendo "news" channel who mostly puts out fanboy wishlists,obviously fake "leaks",and some of the worst "analysis" I've ever seen all while Being second only to literal lolcows in terms of lack of charisma.
Like,I don't like RGT85 either but he is in general far more tolerable than switchforce even on his worst days.

it's comforting to watch natedrake explain to people who aren't us that games take time to make
Every normal person that understands (relating to games) that they take time to understand. Not like there's any AI or whatever tech that can perfectly do any sort of programming etc and be able to produce video games in a very short period of time.

Thanks for posting this article, I'm not sure if I'd read it before. On the corporate side I definitely believe this explanation, and I do think sales were reasonably high for the period the game was available. It also dovetailed well with their plans for N64 NSO.

On the other hand I think part of this is cultural. In Japan there are a lot more companies that do limited-time only seasonal or anniversary items that are never available again. From the jdoramas (love action Japanese TV series) I've watched, limited time events and promotions seem to be a much bigger part of accepted normal culture in Japan than in the West, it's a more accepted practice and even more commonplace. Here it just has a different connotation. For example the one-season-only, never-to-be-seen-again Japanese Starbucks promotions Garner a lot of excitement and not much negativity from what I can see. Usually in the West these drinks regularly cycle out and are available again so there's a lot less FOMO.

That said I say all of this having not looked to see Japanese gamers' responses to the limited time release of 3DAS. Even if the response had been negative from fans, though, I think both fans and general consumers in Japan would have been less surprised or put off by this.

FWIW I'm also not defending the practice, I think the games should have continued to be available - including SMB 35 and Dr. Mario World, too.

Yeah, it's pretty common. It's kind of annoying honestly, especially with drinks like Strong Zeroes, where they make a flavor as basic as "orange" a seasonal/limited time thing. They had a "summer special" Double Orange flavor really recently... which they released, and sold out of before Summer started.

Don't like the practice either. 3D All Stars was very successful, but it was Mario, so of course it would be. I guess we'll know if Nintendo still believes in it as a viable release strategy if we see it show up again.

I find most of Nintendo YouTube insufferable. I basically have Good Vibes, Switch Up, and Arlo. Everything else is more general gaming and mostly analysis/critique with a specific focus (retro, speed run, tech).

I find most of Nintendo YouTube insufferable. I basically have Good Vibes, Switch Up, and Arlo. Everything else is more general gaming and mostly analysis/critique with a specific focus (retro, speed run, tech).
I just sometimes look at NintendoTube just to kill some boredom, often the same old. Only very rarely I even like anything out of that territory.

This is among Rare's greatest music pieces, and I dare even say Star Fox Adventures has the best soundtrack out of all Star Fox games.

It just, makes me feel so calm and at peace. This game makes me feel at peace.
Getting teary eyed just listening to this track

It has the best music after the SNES Star Fox, yes.

Earlier people were ranking JRPG and adjacent series based off prestige, let’s do it based off how much they personally matter to you! Mainline releases, no spinoffs, anime, etc. I think I ranked most active franchises, if I forgot something at me.

S tier (day one highest priority): Xenoblade, Trails, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts

A Tier (very excited, beats out most things): Ys, Yakuza, Mario RPGs, Nier

B Tier (not a priority, but excited to play it): Blue Reflection, Team Asano, Persona

D Tier (regularly backlog): Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Atelier, Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei

I have Pokemon low for where it historically places for me, very excited for SV though. That’s the first day one A tier hype for me in decades. Legends Arceus was awesome.

I’ve started thinking about how I’d rank the series for myself and for someone who considers(considered?) themselves a JRPG fan, I’m realizing I’ve been and at playing them recently. So I’m approaching it as a mix of nostalgia and the current attitude.

S: Pokémon (this is like THE game series for me)

A (lots of nostalgia/recently loving): Digimon RPGs, Kingdom Hearts / Xenoblade

B (Fallen off/enjoy but still relatively new series): Tales, Team Asano / Persona, SMT, Fire Emblem

C (played a 1-2 games no real attachment): Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mario RPGS

D (Interested in but haven’t gotten to yet): Nier, Trails(this is so daunting), Wild Arms, .hack, Ogre Battle

F (tried and wasn’t for me): Disgaea, Souls, Ys, Monster Hunter (I’ve tried so many times and really want to like this one but alas)

Series I’d be there in a heartbeat for a new game but am trying not to get my hopes up for: Golden Sun, The Last Story

@ReyVGM have you been here for long? Used to be in a lot of threads with you on Era.

I've been here since the start yeah, but I haven't been posting as much as I did during the GAF and ERA eras. I guess a need a new console announcement to start posting frequently again.

But I do read all the speculation threads :p

So, what ever happened with Zippo? I seem to remember he was a liked and respected member, and now he's a pariah?

What did he do?

Last edited:
Switchforce is a living meme tbh.This soyboy....

What's wrong with soy? It's a great source of protein and staple food of Asia. You can use it to make soy sauce, tofu, miso, and all sorts of of tasty foods. Any strong, self-confident man should consider adding soy to their diet for both taste and nutrition!

We are getting closer, 9-10 more days left. I am probably gonna rewatch some past directs as there are some smaller games there I havent tried out yet lol

Not that it matters much at this point, but when Jon guessed September 14th, Nate said he’d go with the 13th.
I noticed this, and it's aligned with what I was thinking. If they need to squeeze it in before TGS, doing it earlier in the week gives them more cushion.

Nintendo has been doing Monday announcements for Tuesday presentations nearly this entire summer iirc, so I'm expecting the 13th as well. Especially because that allows the presentation to air on the 14th in other countries, still before TGS actually begins.

Not that it matters much at this point, but when Jon guessed September 14th, Nate said he’d go with the 13th.
Makes sense. TGS starts on the 15th in Japan, which would be the 14th in the Americas. Jon's guess sounds like it's a day before TGS but it's actually the day of.

So, what ever happened with Zippo? I seem to remember he was a liked and respected member, and now he's a pariah?

What did he do?
He got aggressive towards the community when he started getting called out for his rumors not panning out. He got banned, and now uses his personal blog (where most of his stuff comes from now) and posts his rumors in a very self-congratulatory, sometimes passive-aggressive way. Sorta like s****h****r. I saw him even go as far as to call out the community in a victory-lap post when one of the things he predicted actually did pan out, and someone else here said he's called out the community before with homophobic slurs.

Nintendo has been doing Monday announcements for Tuesday presentations nearly this entire summer iirc, so I'm expecting the 13th as well. Especially because that allows the presentation to air on the 14th in other countries, still before TGS actually begins.
yeah exactly, if it's on the 14th (in the evening) in the Americas its already the 15th in Japan

A Tier (very excited, beats out most things): Ys, Yakuza, Mario RPGs, Nier

S Tier (Day 1, extreme hype): Persona, Xenoblade Chronicles, Yakuza

A Tier (Very excited, probably day 1): Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, NieR, Valkyria Chronicles

B Tier (Will play for sure, but not immediate priority): Souls, Team Asano, Trails

C Tier (Probably will get around to it eventually): Final Fantasy, Tales, Shin Megami Tensei

D Tier (Never played, somewhat interested): Monster Hunter, Pokémon, TWEWY

E Tier (Played, no real investment): Ys, probably others I’m forgetting

F Tier (Why do I play this series, I hate these games): Kingdom Hearts

GEie.gif

Fami I am having a terrible night. My ex and I just got into some heavy stuff and I’m struggling to handle it.

Would anyone want to play some Mariokart with me? I really need a friend right now. This isn’t a joke or a shitpost.

Please PM me your friend code if you want to set up some races.

Fami I am having a terrible night. My ex and I just got into some heavy stuff and I’m struggling to handle it.

Would anyone want to play some Mariokart with me? I really need a friend right now. This isn’t a joke or a shitpost.

Please PM me your friend code if you want to set up some races.

I unfortunately don't have Mario Kart but feel free to PM me if you want to chat about anything or take your mind off of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom