• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Nintendo brings Twilight Princess to the Switch, which version do you see them going with?

1. The Wii U version with the upgraded texture work.
2. The Tegra version (basically a Nintendo made emulated version) that was already done and released in Chinese markets four years ago that lacked and of the upgraded textures but is probably all ready to go on Switch but would lack a lot of the cool editions found in the Wii U version of the game.
It’ll be the Wii U version 100%

One things pisses me off about JRPG library on Switch, Capcom, Konami and Namco are doing absolutely nothing to bring back their legacy games. Capcom has Breath of Fire, Konami has Suikoden and Namco has... More than anyone, Tales, Xenosaga, Summon Night. Remaster some stuff people, come on! Take some example from Falcom, NIS, Atlus, Square and Gust.

I just realized...
People were saying the Mario Movie trailer could show up in the Direct.

Super Mario Bros. came out September 13th, 1985.
And the Direct happens on.. September 13th. It's too perfect

So if Nintendo brings Twilight Princess to the Switch, which version do you see them going with?

2. The Tegra version (basically a Nintendo made emulated version) that was already done and released in Chinese markets four years ago that lacked and of the upgraded textures but is probably all ready to go on Switch but would lack a lot of the cool editions found in the Wii U version of the game.

Tegra version for reference:

Hope it’s Wii U but at least both make Link a lefty again.

I would personally say that Japanese RPG franchises can be broken down as follows (this is based on prestige/sales/critical reception/influence and impact):

S tier: Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter
A tier: Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls, Persona
B tier: Fire Emblem, Tales, Nier
C tier: Xenoblade, SMT, Yakuza
D tier: Disgaea, Atelier, Ys, The Legend of Heroes
This is partly due to personal bias, but I feel Kingdom Hearts is an S-tier franchise as well, it has greatly expanded since the release of KHIII, with that game AFAIK being the best selling game in the series. Some say the story is convoluted, but if you've played all games/seen cutscenes it's not that difficult to put together.
Can't really say the same for Dark Souls! IMO if I want to play a Dark Souls game, it's purely about the gameplay for me. I personally can't be bothered to fight for about half an hour through hallways against enemies that should be easy but due to the tight space easily destroy me only to meet an NPC to tell me he lost his underpants or something. (I really like Soulsborne games' gameplay, but I don't really care for the story for this reason).

Also I feel Yakuza should be in B tier at least? Don't really know the series that well but I feel it's less of a niche franchise than Xenoblade or SMT.

I hope you're right. I'm concerned that Nintendo would go as cheap as possible with this.
This feels like when fans come up with the worst possible scenarios even tho 99% of these never happen with Nintendo.

Something I noticed a lot here. And at era as well

Oh the Wii U version for sure. Don't really see Nintendo taking the Wii U version of Wind Waker HD and then some weird emulated version of Twilight Princess just because it's on a Wii Emulator tailored to the Tegra chip

This feels like when fans come up with the worst possible scenarios even tho 99% of these never happen with Nintendo.

Something I noticed a lot here. And at era as well

To be fair this is the company that couldn't even add widescreen support to Super Mario 64 in the All-Stars collection when PC players during the same time reversed engineered the game, added widescreen, 60fps, raytracing, new character models, textures, etc. Widescreen would have been essentially a quick and tiny tweak.

The Tegra version is already there whereas the Wii U version would need to be ported over and the entire control system reworked since the Wii U version used the separate tablet for a lot of things. I think more work then most people realize.

Anyways I wasn't trying to be negative or start a controversy. It was a legitimate concern. That's all. Sorry if I upset you. Hope you're right and both of these Zelda games are indeed the Wii U versions. I just figured it they WERE bundling them together for $60, they may go very cheap on these but I hope I'm wrong.

This is partly due to personal bias, but I feel Kingdom Hearts is an S-tier franchise as well, it has greatly expanded since the release of KHIII, with that game AFAIK being the best selling game in the series. Some say the story is convoluted, but if you've played all games/seen cutscenes it's not that difficult to put together.
Can't really say the same for Dark Souls! IMO if I want to play a Dark Souls game, it's purely about the gameplay for me. I personally can't be bothered to fight for about half an hour through hallways against enemies that should be easy but due to the tight space easily destroy me only to meet an NPC to tell me he lost his underpants or something. (I really like Soulsborne games' gameplay, but I don't really care for the story for this reason).

Also I feel Yakuza should be in B tier at least? Don't really know the series that well but I feel it's less of a niche franchise than Xenoblade or SMT.
My understanding is there is no KH game that has sold over 5 million units, which is basically why I am keeping it in the A tier (every single IP in the S tier routinely sells over 5 million, and in fact you could argue 5 million is the bare minimum floor for a new entry for any of them).

As for Yakuza, I'll just quote what I said before again, lol:

Yakuza, I love Yakuza, and I can see a case for it being in a higher tier, but we're ultimately talking about an IP without a single (reported) million seller, no game above an 85 in MC/OC, and little to no influence on the rest of the industry. They're amazing games, but unfortunately, if I am looking at them in the landscape of the broader industry, I think they are on the lower end of the totem pole.

It’s annoying fans come up with worst cast scenarios for Nintendo. First it’s TTYD remaster will have all the characters replaced with Toads and now Nintendo gonna go cheapest route with TPHD on Switch
It's almost like there's a history of Nintendo routinely disappointing fans

My understanding is there is no KH game that has sold over 5 million units, which is basically why I am keeping it in the A tier (every single IP in the S tier routinely sells over 5 million, and in fact you could argue 5 million is the bare minimum floor for a new entry for any of them).

As for Yakuza, I'll just quote what I said before again, lol:
Looked it up, and while it doesn't quite reach the 85, Kingdom Hearts III has an 83 on MetaCritic and has sold 6.7 million units.

It’s annoying fans come up with worst cast scenarios for Nintendo. First it’s TTYD remaster will have all the characters replaced with Toads and now Nintendo gonna go cheapest route with TPHD on Switch
If WWHD didn't exist I could see some like, reasoning behind that claim but it does, and they're not gonna pick WWHD and that Tegra version of TPHD and both call them the "HD versions" of the game while TPHD Wii U exists.

Also, the Tegra version looks way worse lmao.

Looked it up, and while it doesn't quite reach the 85, Kingdom Hearts III has an 83 on MetaCritic and has sold 6.7 million units.
Did not realize it had sold that much! At that point yeah, much like with Nier, I very inclined to move it up a tier. Personally I'll wait till the next game to decide whether or not I should, but if anyone else were to do it now, I wouldn't argue against it.

I'm pretty sure the TTYD toad thing was a complete joke. Hope you're right about Nintendo using the Wii U versions as the basis for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I'll revisit this thread if my fears are proven right though just to see the reactions lol.

Did not realize it had sold that much! At that point yeah, much like with Nier, I very inclined to move it up a tier. Personally I'll wait till the next game to decide whether or not I should, but if anyone else were to do it now, I wouldn't argue against it.
Yeah I think it sold like 5 million in its first year but as of April it's 6.7 million apparently

One things pisses me off about JRPG library on Switch, Capcom, Konami and Namco are doing absolutely nothing to bring back their legacy games. Capcom has Breath of Fire, Konami has Suikoden and Namco has... More than anyone, Tales, Xenosaga, Summon Night. Remaster some stuff people, come on! Take some example from Falcom, NIS, Atlus, Square and Gust.
Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are actually on NSO, but yeah I really want to see 3 and 4 come to any modern platform really. They seem really neat, but I'm not gonna dig out something as ancient as a PS3 to see what they're like

On the other hand my tier list kept discussion going for five pages and counting now.

The public has spoken, tier lists are in the S tier of discussion board discussion topics.
I remember when someone wanted to do a tier list on insiders.

Worst idea ever.

Now, tier list on who has Has the best fake leaks. That’s the stuff.

Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are actually on NSO, but yeah I really want to see 3 and 4 come to any modern platform really. They seem really neat, but I'm not gonna dig out something as ancient as a PS3 to see what they're like
Meanwhile, I'm just bewildered that Mega Man X Command Mission continues to get snubbed.

Easy way to boost the appeal of the X Collection (ESPECIALLY volume 2...), and it's a fairly rare RPG on the same token.

There's actually a way to glitch into splitscreen co-op

You might risk your save data but aside from that, it seems to work mostly fine with minimal bugs

JFC, I hope as people test this we find out that the game crashes if people get too far away or some story cutscenes bug out, but if this feature mostly works as is being cut then wtf.

To be fair this is the company that couldn't even add widescreen support to Super Mario 64 in the All-Stars collection when PC players during the same time reversed engineered the game, added widescreen, 60fps, raytracing, new character models, textures, etc. Widescreen would have been essentially a quick and tiny tweak.
You're comparing apples and oranges here mate. SM64 in the 3D All-Stars collection was emulated meanwhile SM64 for PC is essentially a coded from scratch effort. There was a clear deadline for 3D All-Stars (they wanted it out for the anniversary), and covid likely didn't help, so chances are hacking in widescreen support was scrapped cos they couldn't ensure it worked perfectly before release. Such is the way of professional products. The PC version has the benefit of being raw code that can be easily modified - are object culled off to the sides in the original?; no problem, just tweak it so they aren't. Plus there's no pressure of release dates and budget - a lot of the tweaks the PC version has received came out after it was released.

So now we've established the drawbacks of emulation versus native code - why would Nintendo emulate TP for a Switch release rather than port the Wii U version like they've done for all their other Wii U ports?

The Tegra version is already there whereas the Wii U version would need to be ported over and the entire control system reworked since the Wii U version used the separate tablet for a lot of things. I think more work then most people realize.

Anyways I wasn't trying to be negative or start a controversy. It was a legitimate concern. That's all. Sorry if I upset you. Hope you're right and both of these Zelda games are indeed the Wii U versions. I just figured it they WERE bundling them together for $60, they may go very cheap on these but I hope I'm wrong.
mario 64 not having widescreen support isn't indicative of how they'll port TP since it will likely be a different team working on it anyway

Definitely the Wii U version of TP and Wind Waker. I'm not convinced there'll be a double pack, mind, but Nintendo can port the games over, sell several million copies, and more than make enough money from it.

I'm also not sure why we'd expect emulation because every other re-release Nintendo charged for have been ports, remasters and remakes. Bar the limited release of 3D All Stars, every other emulated release from Nintendo is in the subscription.

I expect WW and TP HD to be ported, and to remain on sale in the long run.

A proper question is whether the bonus dungeon they added to TPHD will still require the Wolf Link amiibo to unlock and, if so, would they re-release said amiibo?

Of they'll lock it behind a brand new amiibo which can then be used in BotW2 for a feature hardly anyone uses.

I think Dark Souls has had a much bigger impact on the industry than KH. If you include Elden Ring, I would say you probably have to out DS in S tier. And that's from someone who didn't especially love Elden Ring and hasn't played any other From Soft game

Btw, does anyone know when and why S tier become the highest tier?

A proper question is whether the bonus dungeon they added to TPHD will still require the Wolf Link amiibo to unlock and, if so, would they re-release said amiibo?

Of they'll lock it behind a brand new amiibo which can then be used in BotW2 for a feature hardly anyone uses.

I feel like they could re-release the Wolf Link Amiibo or they could just make it accessible through the use of any Legend of Zelda amiibo.

Yeah, I wondered this, as well as whether or not they'd do a new Wind Waker amiibo and add anything to WW HD. Skyward Sword got an amiibo, after all.

Capcom with Breath of Fire is particularly annoying because they put the first two games on Switch, but only through NSO. Of course, that means that the other 3 (we don't talk about 6, thank you very much) are a no-show. So, if someone plays Breath of Fire 1 and 2 and thinks "Huh, this is neat. I want more!" they are shit out of luck unless they happen to have a PS1 and/or PS2 lying around.

The only JRPG I would consider S-tier is Pokemon and that's because nothing else really comes close to matching its reach and influence. It's so massive to the point where I don't think people even really consider the mainline games as JRPGs. Whenever you hear people debate JRPGs vs. Western RPGs or if turn-based combat is dead, they always ignore Pokemon which is among the best selling games year after year, decade after decade.

Yeah, I wondered this, as well as whether or not they'd do a new Wind Waker amiibo and add anything to WW HD. Skyward Sword got an amiibo, after all.
Well I just remembered WWHD will need something to replace the Tingle bottles since Miiverse isn't a thing any more. I guess they could copy Splatoon 2 & 3 and use Twitter, but the advantage Miiverse had was you could attach screenshots too. So maybe they can give us a Tingle amiibo for whatever they have to replace that - say tap it to drop a Tingle bomb lol. (TP did have the Miiverse stamps but they can easily stay as just a collectable to find)

Kind of funny both Tingle features in WW's history have relied on a console feature that wasn't available on future systems.

I would personally say that Japanese RPG franchises can be broken down as follows (this is based on prestige/sales/critical reception/influence and impact):

S tier: Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter
A tier: Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls, Persona
B tier: Fire Emblem, Tales, Nier
C tier: Xenoblade, SMT, Yakuza
D tier: Disgaea, Atelier, Ys, The Legend of Heroes

I'd switch out Tales for most of what's in the C tier. Maybe not SMT. If this was like 2004-2012 Tales would certainly belong there, but it feels like it's fallen off in terms of influence, reception, and impact.

I also kinda think Pokemon deserves its own tier above everything else. There could also be another tier below D with stuff like Star Ocean and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

They didn't use the Tegra X1 version of Mario Galaxy for All Stars. I think the All Stars version has higher res HUD and videos and dynamic res, and motion controls.

The Tegra X1 version of Twilight Princess and all those other emulated Wii releases seem intended specifically as a region specific release for the Shield only,down to the button mapping.

I think Nintendo would prefer to use the Wii U version to represent their product. They probably have a streamlined Wii U to Switch pipeline which is why I assume they wouldn't need to contact Tantalus again, since the remaster is done and just needs to be ported.

Instead of tiers, we should list everything in terms of their gacha star ranking.

5-Star: The only thing you actually want
4-Star: Food for the 5-Star
3-Star: Garbage
2-Star: Wait, there's actually a rank below 3-Star?
1-Star: Holy shit! I didn't think this was possible. This is the rarest thing I have seen!

They didn't use the Tegra X1 version of Mario Galaxy for All Stars. I think the All Stars version has higher res HUD and videos and dynamic res, and motion controls.

The Tegra X1 version of Twilight Princess and all those other emulated Wii releases seem intended specifically as a region specific release for the Shield only,down to the button mapping.

I think Nintendo would prefer to use the Wii U version to represent their product. They probably have a streamlined Wii U to Switch pipeline which is why I assume they wouldn't need to contact Tantalus again, since the remaster is done and just needs to be ported.
On the last point, Iwata publicly stated in 2014 they'd set up processes to make moving Wii U software over to their next portable system as easy as possible. Of course, at the time, plenty of people didn't realise the next portable would be the same thing as the next home system.

But yeah, Nintendo did make it easy for themselves to shift Wii U software over to Switch. That presumably counts for the two Zelda remasters as much as anything else.

I want Symphony of the Night on Switch, with the old cheesy dub.

Requiem being stuck on PS4 is wild

"Let's capitalize on Richter being in Smash by partnering with Sony and re-releasing the two mainline games in which he appears exclusively on PS4."

- an actual thought that someone at Konami had at some point.
apparently the release uses the Sony developed PSP emulator and Sony code in enhancements, which is why it’s PS4 exclusive.

apparently the release uses the Sony developed PSP emulator and Sony code in enhancements, which is why it’s PS4 exclusive.
Yeah, I know, that's what I meant with the "partnering with Sony" bit. Doesn't make it any less absurd to me, though.

They probably have a streamlined Wii U to Switch pipeline which is why I assume they wouldn't need to contact Tantalus again, since the remaster is done and just needs to be ported.

Do they? I thought Monolith said Xenoblade Chronicles X would be hard to port, which would imply there's not just some direct pipeline and that source code is at least needed (my guess was that XCX has messy source code while most of the other Wii U ports were probably better in that regard).

Do they? I thought Monolith said Xenoblade Chronicles X would be hard to port, which would imply there's not just some direct pipeline and that source code is at least needed (my guess was that XCX has messy source code while most of the other Wii U ports were probably better in that regard).

The last thing I remember was that they said it'd be an expensive port, which I got from this: www.gameinformer.com/2018/10/18/monolith-soft-says-a-xenoblade-chronicles-x-switch-port-would-be-too-expensive%3famp

When I say pipeline I mean a set of dev tools that can recompile / refactor Wii U source code to target Switch, not an automatic port button or anything like that. They would still have to remove gamepad exclusive features, test docked / mobile profiles and debug.

Xenoblade X is a bigger game than TP/WW combined, I dont doubt a port would be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom