• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think people are putting far too much stock in what these insiders are saying. They may get a couple of things right here and there but it's a bit silly to expect them to know everything that's going to be in the direct.
Wait, who expects them to know everything in the direct?

Maybe it is ridiculous, but it might be the case! Here there's a developer who claims Nintendo believes these re-releases of legacy titles aren't big sellers, and used the limited release strategy to drive sales.

It would also explain why a similar strategy was used for the localized Switch release of the original Fire Emblem.

Edit: Thought this was the First Party thread. Whoops
Thanks for posting this article, I'm not sure if I'd read it before. On the corporate side I definitely believe this explanation, and I do think sales were reasonably high for the period the game was available. It also dovetailed well with their plans for N64 NSO.

On the other hand I think part of this is cultural. In Japan there are a lot more companies that do limited-time only seasonal or anniversary items that are never available again. From the jdoramas (love action Japanese TV series) I've watched, limited time events and promotions seem to be a much bigger part of accepted normal culture in Japan than in the West, it's a more accepted practice and even more commonplace. Here it just has a different connotation. For example the one-season-only, never-to-be-seen-again Japanese Starbucks promotions Garner a lot of excitement and not much negativity from what I can see. Usually in the West these drinks regularly cycle out and are available again so there's a lot less FOMO.

That said I say all of this having not looked to see Japanese gamers' responses to the limited time release of 3DAS. Even if the response had been negative from fans, though, I think both fans and general consumers in Japan would have been less surprised or put off by this.

FWIW I'm also not defending the practice, I think the games should have continued to be available - including SMB 35 and Dr. Mario World, too.

Think people are putting far too much stock in what these insiders are saying. They may get a couple of things right here and there but it's a bit silly to expect them to know everything that's going to be in the direct.
But who is saying that we know everything for this next Direct? No disrespect, but this comes across as a little bit of a strawman. Given a Direct can easily have 20 to 30 games in it, nobody outside Nintendo will know the whole contents.

Equally, it's unhelpful to generalise and go "these insiders". Three people here - who've been reliable on a frequent basis - have provided specific information over the last 12 months, with a fair bit of overlap, and Jeff Grubb in particular is the major source of information in recent days. People trust that because Jeff Grubb, for example, was correct on Nintendo's summer marketing strategy, on the June Direct being a Partner Showcase, and so on. A source like Samus Hunter or Zippo doesn't have the same kind of weight or accuracy.

Fair enough if you don't believe the current specific rumours that have driven discussion here, but it's a false equivalency to generalise "insiders" as if every source says the same things or has the same kind of track record.

What was Sakurai right about with regards to Halo Infinite?
Ex Bungie devs were saying that halo was designed to be a fun party shooter that had gameplay mechanics watered down from Hardcore Shooters to make it more accessible to others. One of the heads of 343i said that Halo is first and foremost a competitive game. A lot of people are now saying that keeping halo strictly eSports is somewhat killing the game and the fact that they are cancelling split screen multiplayer has everyone up in arms.

In regards to sakurai for smash bros
Sakurai states, as translated, “if we direct Smash only at the competitive players, it will have no future.”

Sakurai says that if he wanted, he could make a hardcore-only Smash with faster speeds and more inputs, but beginners would be alienated. Everyone needs to be accommodated and while there is some technical skill involved, it should be easy to pick up and play and have mindless fun.

As someone who played halo 1,2,3,4 Reach, ODST and part of 5 they all feel the same to me.

So its bizarre to go into the web and see halo fans screeching about the vastly differences of halo 3 and 4 lmao

SGUmVpa.jpg

dE3k6N4.jpg
cY1d83T.jpg
4gl2RU2.jpg

In case anyone else likes reading fake leaks like me
First 2 are terrible. 3rd one at least has some creativity, I give it that. Last one seems the most sane imo. Slow week ahead.

But who is saying that we know everything for this next Direct? No disrespect, but this comes across as a little bit of a strawman. Given a Direct can easily have 20 to 30 games in it, nobody outside Nintendo will know the whole contents.

Equally, it's unhelpful to generalise and go "these insiders". Three people here - who've been reliable on a frequent basis - have provided specific information over the last 12 months, with a fair bit of overlap, and Jeff Grubb in particular is the major source of information in recent days. People trust that because Jeff Grubb, for example, was correct on Nintendo's summer marketing strategy, on the June Direct being a Partner Showcase, and so on. A source like Samus Hunter or Zippo doesn't have the same kind of weight or accuracy.

Fair enough if you don't believe the current specific rumours that have driven discussion here, but it's a false equivalency to generalise "insiders" as if every source says the same things or has the same kind of track record.

Yeah I get that. Grubb gets some bits and pieces of info here and there, but a lot of it is speculation too & he also says things that don't happen as he expected.

A couple of games get listed as possibilities and suddenly people are talking about games like F-Zero GX being remastered, and expecting some kind of gamecube remaster blowout with 6 or 7 games being in the works. I'd be amazed if anything like that were to happen. I think it's a good idea to take everything with a pinch of salt until it's official.

It's difficult to know who else might be interested in working with Grezzo, given the bulk of their work has been with Nintendo. Maybe Square Enix?

Basically, I can't think of a reason why the working relationship would end after both parties have enjoyed so much success. Even if Nintendo aren't publishing, I'd be surprised if this didn't come to Switch.
Agreed! From what I read, it may just be that Jet Dragon isn't the name of the game but the trademark for an individual character, and that it could still be a Nintendo co-production in that scenario.

As someone who played halo 1,2,3,4 Reach, ODST and part of 5 they all feel the same to me.

So its bizarre to go into the web and see halo fans screeching about the vastly differences of halo 3 and 4 lmao
It's the wacky nonsensical physics, broken stuff and modes from the older games is what people appreciated and loved. Making it super competitive and patches water down the games basically

The cycle of leaks in five simple steps:

STEP 1: Insiders say "Games A, B, C and D are in development. It is likely (not guaranteed, though) that they will appear in the next Direct".

STEP 2: Clickbaity Youtubers go "CRAZY DIRECT INCOMING??!! A, B, C and D (MAYBE E, F AND G TOO!!!) ARE ON THEIR WAY!!".

STEP 3: A lot of people eat up the content provided in STEP 2.

STEP 4: Direct airs; it doesn't have everything people expected because it isn't 4 hours long.

STEP 5: A lot of people go "Fucking insiders, they got it all wrong again".

Rinse and repeat.

Yeah I get that. Grubb gets some bits and pieces of info here and there, but a lot of it is speculation too & he also says things that don't happen as he expected.

A couple of games get listed as possibilities and suddenly people are talking about games like F-Zero GX being remastered, and expecting some kind of gamecube remaster blowout with 6 or 7 games being in the works. I'd be amazed if anything like that were to happen. I think it's a good idea to take everything with a pinch of salt until it's official.
I think you're absolutely right on that, but I also think it's worth emphasising here that Jeff Grubb has gone beyond speculation to outright state that he has heard from his sources that the Zelda ports will be confirmed for Switch and that we will get the subtitle for the new Zelda game in the next Direct. Equally, Jeff, Nate, and Emily have all - over the last 12 months - talked about Prime HD as a November 2022 title.

But yes, I certainly think talk of a GameCube Direct or of Nintendo announcing more GC remasters at once than Zelda and Metroid remasters is highly unlikely to be true. I'd also suggest that very few people here actually expect all that to happen in the next couple of weeks; but maybe I'm misremembering discussion. People do get excited, after all.

Personally I think it's likely something like the GX remaster is happening, but I don't expect an announcement soon. I'd actually be more interested in something like an F Zero Gold - remade tracks from across the franchise made from scratch for Switch.

Jet Dragon really does have a mobile or smaller game sounding title to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the game wasn't published by Nintendo or that it wasn't a Switch game at all. I think there's still a high chance that it is a Switch game but some people automatically assume that Grezzo must be and can only be working on a Zelda title and that type of thinking has the potential to set people up for disappointment.

The Megami Tensei series, as a whole, would definitely be on the top as well, possibly ahead of FE. We might also be missing Japan-focused series, like Gundam, which sell a lot, and many of them are jRPGS/strategy.
Edit: I'm pretty sure the Tales of series also sells more than FE.

It would be, if Nintendo hired SE's marketing team.
Yeah. SMT is definitely more popular if you include Persona. Probably more sales in history but think FE might be more popular than base SMT now (definitely not more than persona)

I think you're absolutely right on that, but I also think it's worth emphasising here that Jeff Grubb has gone beyond speculation to outright state that he has heard from his sources that the Zelda ports will be confirmed for Switch and that we will get the subtitle for the new Zelda game in the next Direct. Equally, Jeff, Nate, and Emily have all - over the last 12 months - talked about Prime HD as a November 2022 title.

But yes, I certainly think talk of a GameCube Direct or of Nintendo announcing more GC remasters at once than Zelda and Metroid remasters is highly unlikely to be true. I'd also suggest that very few people here actually expect all that to happen in the next couple of weeks; but maybe I'm misremembering discussion. People do get excited, after all.

Personally I think it's likely something like the GX remaster is happening, but I don't expect an announcement soon. I'd actually be more interested in something like an F Zero Gold - remade tracks from across the franchise made from scratch for Switch.

I think the September Direct mostly likely ends with just Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 1 announced. No other Gamecube remasters/remakes mentioned. I think people going in expecting much more will most likely walk away disappointed. That's the issue with leaks and rumors. What Nate and Emily may be saying is true, that more GCN remasters are coming but that doesn't mean they are all coming at once. But just hearing about them makes us think that they are.

Hey guuuys!

I finished Xenoblade 3 about a week ago, so I came out of my gaming hole, but then that also meant facing reality of my life and how I need to seriously make some major changes if I wanna be happy, but I need to take a while to figure out what I wanna do and how I wanna approach it, so while doing that I could use something to distract me from all the doom and gloom every once in a while...

So I heard we're waiting on a Direct? When? What? Please tell me all about it? insert popcorn gif

I think the September Direct mostly likely ends with just Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 1 announced. No other Gamecube remasters/remakes mentioned. I think people going in expecting much more will most likely walk away disappointed. That's the issue with leaks and rumors. What Nate and Emily may be saying is true, that more GCN remasters are coming but that doesn't mean they are all coming at once. But just hearing about them makes us think that they are.
This is exactly where I am. Timing wise we've been told for a while about Prime HD, and as early as last year, Emily talked about it as a potential November 2022 title because Nintendo might market it as a 20th anniversary thing. We know from LinkedIn that Retro finished a game around 12 months ago; the fact it hasn't materialised in that time doesn't make it fake, but it demonstrates exactly what you're saying: the developments behind the scenes can easily be true (and given the sources we're hearing from, I lend these rumours a lot of credence), but it doesn't mean we'll see confirmation within weeks or even months of hearing the rumours.

Jet Dragon as a mobile game is entirely possible, yeah. I'd expect Grezzo to be doing something Nintendo-contracted, but that might not necessarily be their next release.

Hey guuuys!

I finished Xenoblade 3 about a week ago, so I came out of my gaming hole, but then that also meant facing reality of my life and how I need to seriously make some major changes if I wanna be happy, but I need to take a while to figure out what I wanna do and how I wanna approach it, so while doing that I could use something to distract me from all the doom and gloom every once in a while...
This is kind of where I am in life and to cope I am also embracing Xenoblade 3, among other things.
So I heard we're waiting on a Direct? When? What? Please tell me all about it? insert popcorn gif
The likeliest scenario right now is a Direct on either the 13th or 14th of September, though it could happen in the next week. It seems likely we'll get confirmation of Metroid Prime HD, as well as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Switch. We could also get a subtitle reveal for the new Zelda.

A whole bunch of other things are possible for announcement, so surely there'll be some surprises we don't see coming.

This is kind of where I am in life and to cope I am also embracing Xenoblade 3, among other things.

The likeliest scenario right now is a Direct on either the 13th or 14th of September, though it could happen in the next week. It seems likely we'll get confirmation of Metroid Prime HD, as well as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Switch. We could also get a subtitle reveal for the new Zelda.

A whole bunch of other things are possible for announcement, so surely there'll be some surprises we don't see coming.
I think it is wise to prepare for the 13th or 14th rather than next week with Splatoon 3. We're only about 10 days away now

As for whats in the Direct im good with Prime, WW/TP HD and BOTW2 being shown, anything else is a bonus. There may be a Mario Movie segment though

I hope you find a good path you want to walk on soon, then, & that things get better!

Weird as it sounds, the last time in my life when I was truly happy was around the time BOTW and the Switch released. And that wasn't even related to gaming, the Switch and BOTW were just a nice cherry on top. So the goal I set for myself is to figure things out and be generally happy again by the time BOTW2 drops. I would appreciate a hard deadline, Nintendo! ;-)

Can't think of too much I'd want out of this Direct. I got my Persona 5 Royal port, so I'm pretty happy right now, and everything I want from Nintendo proper is all related to the Drake

Zero Escape ports and that GoldenEye remaster would be nice tho

I agree, but you can say this until you're blue in the face but people aint gonna change. Believe me I've tried.

Yeah. SMT is definitely more popular if you include Persona. Probably more sales in history but think FE might be more popular than base SMT now (definitely not more than persona)
Yeah, base SMT has always been and will probably always be niche, and the reviews of SMT5 - highlighting the lack of character development - show why.

This is among Rare's greatest music pieces, and I dare even say Star Fox Adventures has the best soundtrack out of all Star Fox games.

It just, makes me feel so calm and at peace. This game makes me feel at peace.
Getting teary eyed just listening to this track

surround sound/ handheld gamer
I will say “Big Bang Gamer” since I started even before the primordial games were out. Can tell this was made by Gen Z or whatever the youngsters are now (too early for Alpha to be making memes? I honestly don’t know).

Though biblical gamer works with some of the posts I’ve done recently. @chocolate_supra will know.

Last edited:
Man. I hate that most of my post in here are “What’d I miss?”

But I just got home from a couple of days with the family at Disney World, and I can’t read ten pages.

Shitposting? Real information? Both?

wHaT’d I mIsS?

Okay so found out the kid Icarus remake came from zippo…

giphy.gif
To give you a little hope: Zippo's claims came after people on this forum took a good look through the Bandai-Namco hiring call and felt it could be a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Zippo either came to the same conclusion and dressed it up as a 'leak'; or actually just read online chat and piggybacked off of it.

I hope you find a good path you want to walk on soon, then, & that things get better!

Weird as it sounds, the last time in my life when I was truly happy was around the time BOTW and the Switch released. And that wasn't even related to gaming, the Switch and BOTW were just a nice cherry on top. So the goal I set for myself is to figure things out and be generally happy again by the time BOTW2 drops. I would appreciate a hard deadline, Nintendo! ;-)
I started BOTW around Christmas 2019 shortly before everything happened with the pandemic, and I think its my favorite game ever. Also was getting into the Switch more and school going good. Id say around then was a more happy time in general, then came the pandemic lol.

I completed a lot of BOTW by around summer 2020 and was somehow convinced there would be BOTW2 news then, now I am waiting with you all for a good blowout hopefully soon lol.

Fire Emblem is definitely not smaller than Persona and especially not freaking Tales of lol

imo comparing the total sales of entire series' is a pretty bad metric for determining modern popularity, especially in the case of stuff like Tales and everything under the SMT umbrella which both have like, 3000 games each.

To give you a little hope: Zippo's claims came after people on this forum took a good look through the Bandai-Namco hiring call and felt it could be a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Zippo either came to the same conclusion and dressed it up as a 'leak'; or actually just read online chat and piggybacked off of it.

Thanks, some hope has been restored!

nod-yes.gif

Fire Emblem is definitely not smaller than Persona and especially not freaking Tales of lol

imo comparing the total sales of entire series' is a pretty bad metric for determining modern popularity, especially in the case of stuff like Tales and everything under the SMT umbrella which both have like, 3000 games each.
It's debatable and I agree that overall series sales numbers aren't a great metric. Tales isn't as big as it used to be, and Fire Emblem has blown up in the last few games, so I'd say it's now bigger than that. Persona is tougher to call, since while P5 + P5R outsold Three Houses, that was two versions. But, Persona popularity is at an all-time high, and is about to have more games released across more platforms, which is going to boost things, too. I think it depends on how much the audience is able to expand with the newest game entries - not that we'll know for a while since Persona 6 is probably still years out. It also depends what systems it releases on - if P6 comes out on Switch and PC as well (maybe even just PC) that'll make a massive difference, whereas Fire Emblem will only be on Switch.

Okay so found out the kid Icarus remake came from zippo…

giphy.gif
I mean, it would be a lucky guess. We know Namco Bandai is remastering/remaking a 3d action game for Nintendo and there is only so few IPs that could be. Like that one fake insider that got Bayonetta 3's release date right but the next thing they predicted was wrong and they deleted their Twitter account.

Man. I hate that most of my post in here are “What’d I miss?”

But I just got home from a couple of days with the family at Disney World, and I can’t read ten pages.

Shitposting? Real information? Both?

wHaT’d I mIsS?

Anyone one of us can be a Nintendo senior producer in disguise trying to determine what Gamecube remasters people want and making sure that they don't get made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom