• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
6lv830.jpg

I have abstained from voting because the correct answer of hardware tomorrow, Direct the week after isn't there

A big question I have about a pro, is simply, where are the games? If this is presumably going to drag the switch out another 2 years (some people here think it will last 4 years!) it's going to need big first party releases. If they're not saving them for the next console, where is Metroid Prime? Where is Mario Odyssey 2? Where is the next Smash, the next Yoshi, the next Mario Kart, the next Luigi's Mansion, the next 2D Zelda? Where's Pikmin, where's 2D Mario?

If they're not holding these games back for another console, where are they? Are we expecting some massive game dump after the pro reveal or something, because right now they've got jack and shit coming out. All we've heard about is fire emblem, donkey kong and a metroid prime remake and the donkey kong rumor isn't even very reliable. And Nintendo skipped the July direct entirely this year.

A big question I have about a pro, is simply, where are the games? If this is presumably going to drag the switch out another 2 years (some people here think it will last 4 years!) it's going to need big first party releases. If they're not saving them for the next console, where is Metroid Prime? Where is Mario Odyssey 2? Where is the next Smash, the next Yoshi, the next Mario Kart, the next Luigi's Mansion, the next 2D Zelda? Where's Pikmin, where's 2D Mario?

If they're not holding these games back for another console, where are they? Are we expecting some massive game dump after the pro reveal or something, because right now they've got jack and shit coming out. All we've heard about is fire emblem, donkey kong and a metroid prime remake and the donkey kong rumor isn't even very reliable. And Nintendo skipped the July direct entirely this year.
...we've literally just had a big 3D Kirby, Mario Strikers, Switch Sports, etc. come out, and know that Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, and BotW 2 (and likely Metroid Prime HD) will all be out within the next 12 months. Those are big games.

Edit: Hell, I even forgot about M+R2 and Pokemon. There ARE massive games coming, and soon.

We're getting games? We're getting a new Splatoon, a new Mario + Rabbids, a new Pokemon gen, a new Xenoblade, etc. Just because they aren't what you want doesn't mean that the Switch isn't getting games lol

"ray traced wave race"
Never wanted anything so much. A rival to Breath of the Wild for the playtime crown on my Switch.
But we're in a recession and the new Switch+Ray Traced Wave Race+a frozen tropical drink machine sounds like a lot of money.

Huh? This makes no sense.

Metroid Prime 4 was rebooted in 2019. Luigi's Mansion 3 released in 2019. Smash Ultimate finished getting content in 2021. The next 3D Zelda is launching next Spring. Mario Kart 8DX is getting new DLC until the end of next year. There have been some hiring indications about a new Yoshi IIRC.

The only potentially confusing thing here is a new 3D Mario game.

And I'm unsure what this has to do with a "Switch Pro" (got I hate that term) coming out versus a "Switch 2".

Huh? This makes no sense.

Metroid Prime 4 was rebooted in 2019. Luigi's Mansion 3 released in 2019. Smash Ultimate finished getting content in 2021. The next 3D Zelda is launching next Spring. Mario Kart 8DX is getting new DLC until the end of next year. There have been some hiring indications about a new Yoshi IIRC.

The only potentially confusing thing here is a new 3D Mario game.

And I'm unsure what this has to do with a "Switch Pro" (got I hate that term) coming out versus a "Switch 2".
I don't know if you realize this skittzo but games are announced before they come out. I am obviously not saying these games should be dropping today. I'm saying where the fuck are the announcements and leaks.

And you even admit that the lack of 3D Mario makes no sense, you don't even try to address it.

Gong to bed now, if this thread has 70 pages when I wake up, we have summoned enough collective willpower.

Get posting!

"Where are the big games? If this is going to drag the Switch out, it's going to need games"

that's where the games are: across the next several years to support the switch

I don't know if you realize this skittzo but games are announced before they come out. I am obviously not saying these games should be dropping today. I'm saying where the fuck are the announcements and leaks.

And you even admit that the lack of 3D Mario makes no sense, you don't even try to address it.
Wh...what? Nintendo has games announced through next Spring, and they rarely announce further out than that. When are the announcements coming, then? Soon, probably. Maybe this month. Maybe September. But they'll happen, just as all the current lineup was announced.

I honestly don't even understand what you're getting at.

I really loved "Dreads" twist of you trying to find a way back to the surface of the planet instead of starting on it.
I wonder what twist they could try with Prime 4.... maybe making "Metroid Other M 2" in disguise?

metroid-other-m-remember-me.gif

what do you think this thread is about

I think the name of the next piece of hardware will align with Nintendo's goal of iterating on the Switch rather than treating it in terms of "generations"

This is why names like Nintendo Switch Pro or Super Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Next are probably off the table - they indicate a place in a linear timeline, where they are better than the previous iteration.

Something I see more likely is something that does not indicate that it's better, but instead indicates how it's different.

This is why Nintendo Switch - OLED Model makes so much sense. Especially when you line it up like this:

Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Switch Lite

Nintendo Switch - OLED Model
Nintendo Switch - OLED Model Lite

Nintendo Switch - 4K Model
Nintendo Switch - 4K Model Lite

Nintendo Switch - Bussy Model
Nintendo Switch - Bussy Model Lite

"Where are the big games? If this is going to drag the Switch out, it's going to need games"

that's where the games are: across the next several years to support the switch
Yep. I have a feeling Nintendo will use the massive games (3D Zeldas, Marios, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart) as "guideposts," so to speak. One will be announced around ths time another one launches in order to show that Switch support remains strong.

Basically, I think that 3D Mario is announced in February before Zelda launches in March.

where is Metroid Prime?
Three years into development

Mario Odyssey 2
Decent question

Where is the next Smash
Sakurai hasn't worked on a game that isn't Smash for a decade. He's doing something else.

Smash also isn't normally made back to back. Ultimate was the exception. Brawl was seven years after Melee, Smash four was six years after that. Ultimate isn't even four years old yet.

the next Yoshi
The only developers to make Yoshi games since 2007 are doing other things.

the next Mario Kart, the next Luigi's Mansion, the next 2D Zelda? Where's Pikmin, where's 2D Mario?
None of these titles have gotten consistent frequent releases over a long period of time. Mario Kart was always once a console. Luigi's Mansion is old enough to drink and has three entries. The last truly new 2D Zelda was closer to the 3DS's launch than the Switch. Pikmin goes in and out of dev hell. 2D Mario's been absent longer than 2D Zelda.

You could ask why half of these titles weren't on the original Switch to begin with. Nintendo only has so much throughput.

because right now they've got jack and shit coming out.
And that's just false. They have Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and a little game called Pokemon coming out. They're not hurting for releases.

Wh...what? Nintendo has games announced through next Spring, and they rarely announce further out than that. When are the announcements coming, then? Soon, probably. Maybe this month. Maybe September. But they'll happen, just as all the current lineup was announced.

I honestly don't even understand what you're getting at.
First party games Nintendo has announced and coming out
Xenoblade 3 (low budget, iterative sequel)
Splatoon 3 (iterative sequel)
BotW 2 (heavily delayed, was probably supposed to come out already, also an iterative sequel albeit one that will probably add a lot of content)

To my knowledge, that's it. This is not normal, especially at a time when Nintendo is massively ramping up their software development budget and you would expect more first party games to be announced. There's a ton of games still coming to the switch, but they're not being made by Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon for example.

I think the name of the next piece of hardware will align with Nintendo's goal of iterating on the Switch rather than treating it in terms of "generations"

This is why names like Nintendo Switch Pro or Super Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Next are probably off the table - they indicate a place in a linear timeline, where they are better than the previous iteration.

Something I see more likely is something that does not indicate that it's better, but instead indicates how it's different.

This is why Nintendo Switch - OLED Model makes so much sense. Especially when you line it up like this:

Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Switch Lite

Nintendo Switch - OLED Model
Nintendo Switch - OLED Model Lite

Nintendo Switch - 4K Model Lite

Nintendo Switch - Bussy Model
Nintendo Switch - Bussy Model Lite
I think this could happen, but I still see it as an expansion of the New 3DS. A new standard that doesn't replace what's there. Just as there was a New 3DS and New 3DS XL, I could see a New Switch and a New Switch Lite

there are a lot of different ways they could take it honestly

... what? What kind of games are you expecting to hear about, that's what I'm confused about. 2022 has a pretty stacked lineup of games and should be seeing at least a couple more announced. For 2023 we know about BOTW2 and nothing else yet, usually they detail those starting in the June Direct and then in September, but this year obviously they didn't have a June direct.

I really have no idea what you're trying to argue here, and why it's related to a new hardware announcement.
Because I have no explanation for it. And I don't understand what that has to do with a "pro" happening this year...?

Please be the pro model so I can try to pre order it and make use of my GameStop pro membership. You know they’re gonna lock pre orders behind that. They did for the ps5 and Xbox’s for a while

BotW 2 (heavily delayed, was probably supposed to come out already, also an iterative sequel albeit one that will probably add a lot of content)

To my knowledge, that's it. This is not normal, especially at a time when Nintendo is massively ramping up their software development budget and you would expect more first party games to be announced. There's a ton of games still coming to the switch, but they're not being made by Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon for example.
you're trying to jam a square peg into a round hole

a switch pro that needs supported this

OK.

Reveal: July 13th
Release: October 20th
Will rely on DLSS to get up to 4K
'Launch' Games:
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
  • Metroid Prime 4K
This is my prediction.

Locking it in now.
Tbh looks good to me!

OK.

Reveal: July 13th
Release: October 20th
Will rely on DLSS to get up to 4K
'Launch' Games:
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
  • Metroid Prime 4K
This is my prediction.

Locking it in now.
If I have to sacrifice my steam deck funds for this then that will be a necessary sacrifice

By everything we know, BotW2 will be the biggest game Nintendo has ever made. Lmao at "iterative sequel."

And saying Xenoblade 3 is "low budget" is just bad. Stop.

I've quickly realized you aren't even arguing/commenting in good faith, so I'm just not going to engage any further.

Me. Weeks and weeks of heavy speculation just to end up with a freaking Mini Direct. Good times.

It was a good mini at least and it was followed by the legendary March 2018 direct. Unfortunately the rest of the year was kind of terrible if you weren't into Smash.

For 2023 we know about BOTW2 and nothing else yet, usually they detail those starting in the June Direct and then in September, but this year obviously they didn't have a June direct.
This is exactly what I said by the way. We only know about BotW 2 and usually we should know about more by now, but we don't, which is interesting to me. That was the point of my post yeah. Thank you for agreeing with me that it's strange that we haven't heard about anything else yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom