• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Zelda series can absolutely support the ports in Sept-Dec AND BotW2 in March-May.

I think MisterSpo's argument is that the ports aren't needed to prop up the lineup.
Yes, I'm not expecting Zelda ports to cause problems for new Zelda, or vice versa; I just don't think Nintendo need Zelda ports in a timeframe that includes new Splatoon, a new Pokemon generation, a major Mario spin-off, plus 'smaller' releases like Bayonetta 3, potentially Metroid Prime HD, and exclusives/console exclusives (mostly from Square Enix, but it includes Harvestella, which Nintendo just promoted through Treehouse, as well as a Dragon Quest spin-off). We've had the suggestion from Nate, too, that the next Fire Emblem title may yet make the fiscal year, in which case we've got at least one other notable Nintendo franchise getting a new entry in that timeframe. We also have Advance Wars finished and yet to release.

More broadly, my thinking with the Zelda series relates to how Nintendo can make the best use of the series over the next 5 years, too, so with the ports I'm wondering why right now, when the newest Zelda title is launching in the first half of 2023, and why not in 2024 or 2025? Potentially that's a good thing, because it might mean Nintendo are confident in other Zelda content we don't know anything about that's on track for post-2023. But that's also obviously why this doesn't quite make sense to me yet - I don't have all the pieces to the puzzle because I haven't yet learnt how to read Aonuma's thoughts and learn all his Zelda secrets.

I don't have all the pieces to the puzzle because I haven't yet learnt how to read Aonuma's thoughts and learn all his Zelda secrets.
Don't worry, he'll talk about how he wants to make a game where you're surrounded by enemies and it'll be Crossbow Training 2

51a-qdtUQoL.jpg

Don't worry, he'll talk about how he wants to make a game where you're surrounded by enemies and it'll be Crossbow Training 2

51a-qdtUQoL.jpg
I'm more inclined to think something like Hyrule Warriors 3 and Oracle of Ages and Seasons remakes in 2024/25. Will pray to the goddesses for new 2D Zelda, though.

I'm more inclined to think something like Hyrule Warriors 3 and Oracle of Ages and Seasons remakes in 2024/25. Will pray to the goddesses for new 2D Zelda, though.

How about a Cadence of Hyrule style game using Rift of the Necrodancers gameplay this time?

How about a Cadence of Hyrule style game using Rift of the Necrodancers gameplay this time?
I'd love to see something like this, too, but given that's only just been announced I'm not sure when we should expect a Zelda spin-off of it! I'd love to see new spin-offs with the Zelda license, sure; but I'm naturally cautious at this point. The development arrangements for Zelda are currently set up so that remakes/remasters happen regularly, the new games happen occasionally, and the Warriors spin-offs become a regular fixture (all the more likely given Age of Calamity sold over 4 million).

Hopefully there's more behind the scenes we don't know about yet.

Yes, I'm not expecting Zelda ports to cause problems for new Zelda, or vice versa; I just don't think Nintendo need Zelda ports in a timeframe that includes new Splatoon, a new Pokemon generation, a major Mario spin-off, plus 'smaller' releases like Bayonetta 3, potentially Metroid Prime HD, and exclusives/console exclusives (mostly from Square Enix, but it includes Harvestella, which Nintendo just promoted through Treehouse, as well as a Dragon Quest spin-off). We've had the suggestion from Nate, too, that the next Fire Emblem title may yet make the fiscal year, in which case we've got at least one other notable Nintendo franchise getting a new entry in that timeframe. We also have Advance Wars finished and yet to release.

More broadly, my thinking with the Zelda series relates to how Nintendo can make the best use of the series over the next 5 years, too, so with the ports I'm wondering why right now, when the newest Zelda title is launching in the first half of 2023, and why not in 2024 or 2025? Potentially that's a good thing, because it might mean Nintendo are confident in other Zelda content we don't know anything about that's on track for post-2023. But that's also obviously why this doesn't quite make sense to me yet - I don't have all the pieces to the puzzle because I haven't yet learnt how to read Aonuma's thoughts and learn all his Zelda secrets.
Frankly, I think Grubb's just wrong here (or not; "not much longer" is vague). I don't expect to hear about the ports until sometime next year (perhaps with new hardware, as I continue to beat the 4K drum lol). Next month would surprise me.

I think MisterSpo's argument is that the ports aren't needed to prop up the lineup.

Ahhh, that makes sense. And I totally agree with logic.

And yet, this is Nintendo. Sometimes they pull a massive head-scratcher.

Frankly, I think Grubb's just wrong here (or not; "not much longer" is vague). I don't expect to hear about the ports until sometime next year (perhaps with new hardware, as I continue to beat the 4K drum lol). Next month would surprise me.
Yup. The first way I made sense of it was that Jeff Grubb knows the ports exist but doesn't know the timing for reveal/release, and is therefore guessing they're a likely announcement. But his latest comments seem more confident than that. So the other way I make sense of it is, Nintendo themselves are confident they have enough Zelda stuff coming to launch one or both ports soon.

That or they're running out of space in the 'Games We Sit On' cupboard.

Yup. The first way I made sense of it was that Jeff Grubb knows the ports exist but doesn't know the timing for reveal/release, and is therefore guessing they're a likely announcement. But his latest comments seem more confident than that. So the other way I make sense of it is, Nintendo themselves are confident they have enough Zelda stuff coming to launch one or both ports soon.

That or they're running out of space in the 'Games We Sit On' cupboard.
It does feel like there should be some 2D Zelda or something like it ready not too long after BotW2.

It always amazes me how confident some of your comments are yet having no inside info vs having inside info (Jeff).

You can say, In my opinion etc, but please dont phrase your comment as it is THE definitive reality.

Remember the 3D SS Collection in 2020? I expect the same here, and No it will not bother the release timing for BOTW2 a bit...

It always amazes me how confident some of your comments are yet having no inside info vs having inside info (Jeff).

You can say, In my opinion etc, but please dont phrase your comment as it is THE definitive reality.
It's always healthy to approach any sort of inside information or rumors with a little dose of skepticism, no matter how reliable the source. I don't think anyone in here is definitively saying Grubb is wrong, we're just discussing why Nintendo would release these games now. Nothing crazy there.

Jeff Grubb seems pretty certain that Wind Waker and or Twilight Princess are about to be confirmed for the Switch. If they're launching any time soon, then I think it means one of two things. Either Breath of the Wild 2 releases towards the end of the 'spring 2023' window, so late May at the earliest but by the end of June at the latest; in a worst-case scenario, I do think it might mean another delay into the second half of 2023 is on the cards.

I'd love to be wrong. I've not really been convinced there's much need for the Zelda ports this year, but Jeff Grubb is a well-connected guy and he seems certain an announcement is coming soon.
Nintendo can be weird like that. They didn't have to do 3D All-Stars and 3D World so close together, or NSMBU + Mario Maker, or cut up their June Direct and release it piecemeal on Twitter, but here we are :p . For the time being I'll just operate on the assumption that if TP/WW release that doesn't mean much for BotW2 either way.

that being said, if they show tp/ww in september they'll likely share more about botw2 as well.
Okay, that's it!

giphy.gif

I must warn you, i've also found gifs from a giant NERF gun, so that is the next level after the Tidal Wave!
Gawd I love the interwebs sometimes <3 .
True. Also I believe that since it's only 4-6 months delay they were pretty darn sure about it. They just needed more time to polish things etc. I don't believe that they will be adding anything substantion in those 4-6 months.
On one hand, finishing games is notoriously difficult and apparently BotW cut it really close to it's (internally delayed) release date. On the other hand "Spring" is quite specific so they must have reason to think that's realistic. Also Splatoon 3 is finally done (and a few months later than expected, hence the Xeno/Splatoon Swap) so all hands are currently on deck finishing Zelda.

also pls don't forget about 2d zelda reggie ktx

Nintendo can be weird like that. They didn't have to do 3D All-Stars and 3D World so close together, or NSMBU + Mario Maker, or cut up their June Direct and release it piecemeal on Twitter, but here we are :p . For the time being I'll just operate on the assumption that if TP/WW release that doesn't mean much for BotW2 either way.

that being said, if they show tp/ww in september they'll likely share more about botw2 as well.

Gawd I love the interwebs sometimes <3 .

On one hand, finishing games is notoriously difficult and apparently BotW cut it really close to it's (internally delayed) release date. On the other hand "Spring" is quite specific so they must have reason to think that's realistic. Also Splatoon 3 is finally done (and a few months later than expected, hence the Xeno/Splatoon Swap) so all hands are currently on deck finishing Zelda.

also pls don't forget about 2d zelda reggie ktx
I want to be clear here that I'm not trying to doompost (not that you're accusing me of that, but it might be easy for my comments to be misinterpreted if people are skimming through) or say Breath of the Wild 2 is definitely delayed.

Ports launching in the next few months, followed by new Zelda in the original, vague spring window absolutely remains possible.

There's no way Nintendo is releasing ports of TP and WW together as a bundle. To me that is completely inconsistent with what they have been doing it during the Switch generation. The only exception to this was Mario but that was an anniversary thing, and it was a limited release. If these ports even exist they will release at 60 bucks each. I'm also still hopeful that BOTW 2 is the March 2023 game.

I think the best release window for Zelda ports is, like... as soon as possible, like September. Either announce them and release them right away or wait until BOTW2 is out, because the rest of the year is pretty much stacked. October has Bayonetta 3 and some high-profile third-party ports, November has Pokémon (and Harvestella), and December might have Zelda, of course, but it might also have the Prime remaster. Beyond that, we start to get into BOTW2 territory.

There's no way Nintendo is releasing ports of TP and WW together as a bundle. To me that is completely inconsistent with what they have been doing it during the Switch generation. The only exception to this was Mario but that was an anniversary thing, and it was a limited release. If these ports even exist they will release at 60 bucks each. I'm also still hopeful that BOTW 2 is the March 2023 game.
Wii U ports get new content.....so unless they go back and add new dungeons to each game, i'm sure they'll release them as a bundle.

I think the best release window for Zelda ports is, like... as soon as possible, like September. Either announce them and release them right away or wait until BOTW2 is out, because the rest of the year is pretty much stacked. October has Bayonetta 3 and some high-profile third-party ports, November has Pokémon (and Harvestella), and December might have Zelda, of course, but it might also have the Prime remaster. Beyond that, we start to get into BOTW2 territory.
There is a notable gap between Splatoon 3, on September 9th, and Mario + Rabbids and Bayonetta 3, which are October 20th and October 28th, respectively. I'd wondered if that gap might be the window for the Prime remaster, but I feel Nintendo will give that a couple of months of promotion.
Wii U ports get new content.....so unless they go back and add new dungeons to each game, i'm sure they'll release them as a bundle.
Add Link's Crossbow Training to Twilight Princess HD and Tetra's Trackers to Wind Waker HD.

I completely forgot Mario All-Stars was announced 2 weeks before it released. Guess we can't rule out a WW/TP September release, huh. What a strange company.

I hate to say it, but I think if there was a Direct in like five or six days we'd be hearing about it being imminent

I'd hate a limited time compilation because it's a shitty way of releasing legacy content. I doubt that happens, sure.

In an ideal world we'd get improved versions - 60 fps, instrumental/orchestrated music, and bonus content in the form of Zelda stuff that won't get a standalone release. I'm serious when I say include Link's Crossbow Training in TP and Tetra's Trackers with WW.

Yeah and Nate probably would be recording his prediction this week to drop the episode early next week.
yeah, he said he was recording something else so imo the chances that it's next week are actually kind of low

I thing we might actually see it right before TGS on the 13th or 14th. This has the distinct advantage of being after Splatoon 3 as well

Speaking of TGS. I wonder where that "New title from Gust" will be announced. Mmmmm I wonder ;)

I dont think its the new FE. New Atelier (rumors are Ryza 3)

Nintendo, if you give me a New DK and F-zero (I accept a remake) in this direct. I will not complaing for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom