• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel guilty for my only contribution to this thread being popping up and asking HEY ANY NEWS every month, but I've got no idea how people can read all of this thread and be this invested in directs so HEY ANY NEWS?

Nate reported a Direct is coming in September, we're just not sure what form it will take yet. 😃

What are the chances of an Indie World next week? Because there has been one in mid to late August every year since 2018 (also in 2017, but the branding was "Nindies" back then), I'd estimate it's around 100%.
Hoping for one this coming week.

another Partner Direct
Second time I use this image on this forum in like a week but...

maxresdefault.jpg

Is there a particular reason why 9/6 - 9/8 is the more popular option?

Or is this just more wishful thinking?

:p

The math is simple. They showed exactly 44 seconds of story mode in Splatoon 3 Direct. They will do a last Splatoon 3 trailer in a Direct on Septemebr 1st/2nd (based on your timezone) in it they will show more of story mode.

The mood of this thread the longer into September we get without a Direct announcement

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

I hope the direct will be on the 1st of September.
The week of the 8th (like @CypressFX said) is the week of Splatoon 3. So I don't expect a direct there, then the week after there is TGS so I doubt they'll wait more. Also there hasn't been a general direct in June, so going from early February to late September seems kinda weird to me.

My bet is on the 1st. Maybe even the 31st of August (the midnight between the 31st and the 1st here).

As for my predictions:

1. What I want, and I'm kinda sure I'll get:
  • the new Fire Emblem.
  • a title and a BIG TRAILER for BotW2. I'm not sure about a release date tho.
  • a new game from Team Asano (unfortunately not Bravely related).

2. What I don't care about, but I think will be there:
  • Switch Sports DLC
  • Splatoon 3 last trailer
  • Metroid Prime HD remaster

3. What I would love to see, but I doubt will be there:
  • Ace Attorney 7 / The Great Ace Attorney 3 / Ace Attorney Investigations duology (<- from less hype to most hype lol)
  • a new Professor Layton (even I know that I will never see this)
  • a new 2D Zelda (I really hope this will be on Switch sooner or later)
  • Bravely Default. Anything.
  • Kid Icarus.
Nice picks. I’d love to see a new Layton too but doubt we will, I suspect the series will go mobile first at this point. The whole ‘daily puzzle’ thing they used to do is too good a fit for it.

I’d like to see Phoenix Wright 7. And while we’re talking about games already announced, the next thing I want to hear about from Atlus is the next Etrian Odyssey.

A new Bravely Default feels like it’s a long way off at the moment.

I don't think we leave 2022 without seeing BOTW 2. With TGA becoming a less important avenue for Nintendo every year, I really think it's high time for a substantial showing from the game. Doesn't mean it'll be the gameplay blowout or crazy story trailer, but at least something that introduces a few new mechanics, possibly the return of themed dungeons, and a title drop.

If we don't see a character cutting their hair, the freshly cut hair drifitngout of their hand in the wind then it's a weak sequel

I don't think we leave 2022 without seeing BOTW 2. With TGA becoming a less important avenue for Nintendo every year, I really think it's high time for a substantial showing from the game. Doesn't mean it'll be the gameplay blowout or crazy story trailer, but at least something that introduces a few new mechanics, possibly the return of themed dungeons, and a title drop.
The first real trailer (not a teaser) with a title drop seems likely to me too. I'm going back and forth on if it'll be a huge blowout or not, but I think either way it'll be meaty.

So, quick question just for fun; most Directs feature at least one of those so-called "impossible ports". Which impossible port(s) do you think could appear on this September Direct?

My personal bet: that Arkham Collection retailer listing was right all along, and somehow Arkham Knight is natively ported to the Switch.

I think September is a good time for the BOTW 2 title drop and some more explanations about new mechanics. Not necessarily a blowout, however; it can have its own direct a month or so before release for the final push.

Now that I think about it, while I was assuming BOTW2 would be the closer, maybe they would save that for an unannounced game. BOTW2 the big middle feature, and new Fire Emblem as the closer maybe? It'd fill that roll well I think. Metroid Prime remaster seems more like an opener IMO, and the only other thing that I think they'd close with is if there's something massive like a 3D Mario.

Now that I think about it, while I was assuming BOTW2 would be the closer, maybe they would save that for an unannounced game. BOTW2 the big middle feature, and new Fire Emblem as the closer maybe? It'd fill that roll well I think. Metroid Prime remaster seems more like an opener IMO, and the only other thing that I think they'd close with is if there's something massive like a 3D Mario.
Honestly, if BotW2 is further out than March, then I could see it being in the middle. Maybe another 1 minute teaser?

Don’t see BotW2 being anything but either the second to last game or the closer.

Anything else would just overshadow the rest of the direct. They want people to watch the whole thing THEN give them BotW2 to finish it

So, quick question just for fun; most Directs feature at least one of those so-called "impossible ports". Which impossible port(s) do you think could appear on this September Direct?

My personal bet: that Arkham Collection retailer listing was right all along, and somehow Arkham Knight is natively ported to the Switch.
I dunno that it would be impossible, but as usual, I'd love to see the rebooted Tomb Raider trilogy on the Switch.

I dunno that it would be impossible, but as usual, I'd love to see the rebooted Tomb Raider trilogy on the Switch.
Ooh, that's a good one. And since the last one was a AAA PS4/Xbox One game, it would definitely qualify as "impossible", yeah.

Last edited:
Yeah, both teams have been working on their next major title for somewhere around 3 years; maybe longer for the 3D Mario team (we don't quite know what happened after Odyssey, but their 3D action game hiring call came literally 2 years after it released; of course, that hiring call doesn’t necessarily indicate the start of development).

3D Mario has had a couple of releases and a bigger presence recently than 2D Mario thanks to the 3D All Stars and 3D World + Bowser's Fury releases in 2020 and 2021. I also wonder if, like open world Zelda, Nintendo are content to let 3D Mario be something that simply takes a lot of time. It's the other prestige single player series and Zelda is already due in 2023; we talk about the pressure to get Zelda right, but I wonder if there's a similar pressure and similar privilege for the 3D Mario team right now.*

But I do think we're getting one or the other mainline Mario series next year. Traditional 2D Mario is, alongside Kart, the flagship internal Nintendo series currently only represented by a port on Switch and I think a new entry could be a huge cross-generation hit for Nintendo. I'm expecting them to go for something like New Super Mario World, with a visual style somewhere between the New Bros style, Maker 2's hub and 3D World toolset, but hopefully with properly instrumental music and some wilder and more interesting level themes.
I think the pressure on EPD Tokyo is just as big if not bigger than on the Zelda team. While BotW was the 10/10 Switch game that had to go bigger than ever before and go where never before, Odyssey was the 10/10 that just didn't have any flaws, it had to be perfect. I remember in 2017 GOTY awards of Nintendo sites or YouTube channels, where most of them gave 100/100 to Odyssey and not to BotW but most gave GOTY to BotW.

Okay I got a bit off rails on the argument, buy what I think is that EPD Tokyo is just the dream team that is expected to release games that are the closest humanly possible to flawless. I'm not really surprised on the time it's taking. Ever since we started predicting sequels to BotW and Odyssey, I've always got BotW 2 and Odyssey 2 taking the same time of development/between entries.

Odyssey 1 and BotW 1 had the same length of development (4 years). If BotW 2 is taking 5+ years, I expect Odyssey 2/3D Next to take just as long. Scope on both sequels are probably waaaayyyy bigger than just simple sequels, we're seeing this with BotW 2. I hope we see it on the next 3D Mario as well.

I think neither of those titles started development in 2017. I can see both having larger periods of planning/pre production leading to full development starting in 2018/2019. We saw it with the 8 years of development for ACNH, so it wouldn't be the first time a Nintendo team takes their time on concepts and pre production. Then we had COVID and games on the Switch taking longer than ever, so we get our answer.

I'm expecting the next 3D Mario game as either holiday 2023 or spring 2024 flagship title. 2D Mario is "higher priority" for a possible spring 2023 release, yeah, because of the movie and how long it's been since the last one(plus, it taking less dev time than 3D Mario, so it can be done by then).

Call me crazy but I don't think the Direct will close with BOTW2, for a 3rd time. Maybe it's a closer to the end but I don't feel the closer and I know it's their (and my) hypest title coming. And whoever is in charge of choosing the openers should do it better. For example, September 2021 - why it started with Monster Hunter DLC instead of something like Kirby? Or February 2022 - why it started with Three Hopes instead of something like Strikers?
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened either. I think they can go the Odyssey being the closer of E3 2017 route, and make Metroid Prime Remake + 4 teaser as the end of the Direct.

BOTW2 COULD be an opener, but idk, aside from MP4, it's Nintendo's biggest game that we know of at the moment, so I think a full story trailer with a logo/name reveal could still be a decent closer.

For BOTW2 I‘m hoping for a (prerecorded) Treehouse segment with gameplay.

I wouldn't watch it. It's a sequel to Breath of the Wild, I know enough. I just want to stop calling it Breath of the Wail 2 and know when it comes out so I can save the money for it.

An Indie World usually happens during the week of Gamescom, right? So in the coming week?

I’m curious as to why the twenty percent of voters that think the Direct will be the same week as TGS. Is it just a general middle of September guess?
Couldn’t it be a day or two before? I forgot about the TGS, but just googled and saw that it starts in 15/09, so why not?

I don't see any way Zelda isn't the closer unless they have something massive behind it. 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, and Animal Crossing are really the only IPs that are on the same tier as Zelda, and of those options 3D Mario is the only one that could feasibly be announced. They could probably go with Metroid Prime 4 as well given how much of a meme it's become, but given that we're likely looking at Metroid Prime HD as well I don't see that happening in the upcoming direct.

If you try to put something like Fire Emblem or 2D Mario behind Zelda, it's gonna get completely swallowed up.

Replaying Bowser's Fury right now... What a game... If it was longer it would be my favorite Mario game I think.

I'm in the mood for a new 3D Mario game being announced at the September Direct.

Aonuma showing up to just present the logo and title of the game with no new footage would STILL qualify as a hype closer imo, no way that + a trailer wouldn’t

I’m curious as to why the twenty percent of voters that think the Direct will be the same week as TGS. Is it just a general middle of September guess?
Because it's the week after Splatoon 3, many assume they'll want Splatoon 3 out of the way for the Direct. It just so happens that TGS is earlier this year, so yeah the direct will probably be earlier in the month, I imagine it'll be the week of Splatoon's release.

Splatoon 3 singleplayer trailer 100% (if it's before the game release). There's a reason they barely showed anything during the game's direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom