• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aonuma appears in front of black screen:

“I’m sure that when many of you saw me, you expected to hear an update on the sequel to the legend of Zelda breath of the wild. Unfortunately, we’ll have to ask that you wait just a bit longer. That’s all for today. We’ll have more news to share early next year. Thank you.”

How do you react?

Last edited:
To all the 68 people who think they will do Direct the same week Splatoon 3 drops, you are crazy.
I'm insane, not crazy.
I AM NOT CRAZY!

I am not crazy! I know they swapped those Direct dates! I knew it was September 7th. Just before TGS. As if I could ever make such a mistake. Never. Never! I just - I just couldn't prove it! They covered their leaks, they got that idiot on the podcast to lie for them. You think this is something? You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? They've done worse. That stock shortage! Are you telling me that a company just happens to flop like that? No! They orchestrated it! Nintendo! They released Sticker Star on the 3DS! And I saved them! And I shouldn't have. I took the Wii U into my own home! What was I thinking? They'll never change. They'll never change! Ever since the Wii, always the same! Couldn't keep their hands out of the gimmick drawer! But not our Nintendo! Couldn't be precious Nintendo! Robbing us blind! And THEY get to be the richest company in Japan? What a sick joke! I should've stopped them when I had the chance!

Last edited:
I AM NOT CRAZY!

I am not crazy! I know they swapped those Direct dates! I knew it was September 7th. Just before TGS. As if I could ever make such a mistake. Never. Never! I just - I just couldn't prove it! They covered their leaks, they got that idiot on the podcast to lie for them. You think this is something? You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? They've done worse. That stock shortage! Are you telling me that a company just happens to flop like that? No! They orchestrated it! Nintendo! They released Sticker Star on the 3DS! And I saved them! And I shouldn't have. I took the Wii U into my own home! What was I thinking? They'll never change. They'll never change! Ever since the Wii, always the same! Couldn't keep their hands out of the gimmick drawer! But not our Nintendo! Couldn't be precious Nintendo! Robbing us blind! And THEY get to be the richest company in Japan? What a sick joke! I should've stopped them when I had the chance!

giphy.gif

I really do think that the biggest obstacle is announcing the September Direct in August
Still the smaller obstacle than doing it on Splatoon 3 week or literally day or two before release.

and the basically non existent Splatoon 3 story mode details speak for itself.

Edit:

Last edited:
So do we really have a date for the next Nintendo mini direct partner showcase or is it all wishful thinking?
Because a direct on the 1st of September would be pretty cool.

Splatoon 3 week is going to be Splatoon marketing overdrive plus reviews likely dropping on the Wednesday morning before Friday launch. They're not going to have a big marketing push for 2023 titles right before one of their biggest launches of the year with Splatoon 3.

The earliest a direct could happen would be the week after. What incentive does Nintendo have to have it as early in the month as possible? There's a pretty big gap between Splatoon 3 launch on Sept 9th and their next big exclusive M+R 2 in late October, a nice big marketing window to hold their other big General Direct for the year.

Hey, here’s a thought. What are the chances we could get destiny 2 on switch? It’s a bust on the deck so maybe it’s possible on switch?

I fell off after forspoken but the deck would have been a way for me to get back in it again. To hear it doesn’t work was disappointing for sure

Splatoon 3 week is going to be Splatoon marketing overdrive plus reviews likely dropping on the Wednesday morning before Friday launch. They're not going to have a big marketing push for 2023 titles right before one of their biggest launches of the year with Splatoon 3.

The earliest a direct could happen would be the week after. What incentive does Nintendo have to have it as early in the month as possible? There's a pretty big gap between Splatoon 3 launch on Sept 9th and their next big exclusive M+R 2 in late October, a nice big marketing window to hold their other big General Direct for the year.
It needs to be before TGS which is the 15th to the 18th. It can be after the 9th, but the 10th and 11th are the weekend. Not much time there. 13th or the 14th would be cutting it close.

It needs to be before TGS which is the 15th to the 18th. It can be after the 9th, but the 10th and 11th are the weekend. Not much time there. 13th or the 14th would be cutting it close.
Why does it need to be before TGS? Nintendo does not attend TGS. Is there an actual stated reason by Nintendo or other developers why they must hold directs before TGS or is this just being inferred from historical patterns?

Destiny showcase is next Tuesday, odds of s destiny 2 switch announcement now that Bungie is staying independent but has access to Sony’s money?

Why does it need to be before TGS? Nintendo does not attend TGS. Is there an actual stated reason by Nintendo or other developers why they must hold directs before TGS or is this just being inferred from historical patterns?
It's just a pattern, believed to be done for the sake of third party publishers. However, it weren't for Nate saying he's heard about something in September I'd sooner believe in an October Direct than a late September one.

It's just a pattern, believed to be done for the sake of third party publishers. However, it weren't for Nate saying he's heard about something in September I'd sooner believe in an October Direct than a late September one.
I would have like to believe patterns are meant to be broken, like the splatoon direct one, but k am all in for the one before TGS direct

Nintendo doesn't attend, but 3rd parties have games they will be showing there that will need to be announced before the event happens

let's think of this another way: a Nintendo Direct right after TGS will have next to no new Japanese third party reveals

I mean we‘ve also @LiamRobertson saying 'in about three weeks, [his twitter timeline] will be very happy' which would perfectly line up with a direct a week before TGS.

Thinking about the Zelda delay, Splatoon 3 might have played a role in that. The latter got a small last-minute delay and swapped places with XenoBlade, so it's likely that resources that were planned to go to finishing up Zelda were tied up finishing Splatoon 3 instead.

Right now I'm of the mind that Zelda is aiming for an early spring release because late March is still within the fiscal year. It's been a very popular timeslot for games that missed their Holiday release date - Animal Crossing, Doom Eternal and Kirby: Forgotten Land come to mind.

BotW was Nintendo's most expensive game and they wrung all the marketing juice out of that. The more expensive a game is to make the more certain they want to be that it's gonna be a splash. They might want that long and juicy marketing period to maximise mindshare - BotW2 would give the Switch a fresh new "halo effect" that the original also provided: the Switch you buy this holiday can play that kind of game! It's the reason why it was prominently featured in the SwOLED ads last year.

So I'm personally hopeful that it shows up next month. If it doesn't I'd expect a Zelda-specific direct between September and February, because if it's releasing this Spring starting the marketing in February would be hella short.

source: a green muppet that know nothing

Agreed. I think now that Splatoon 3 is reaching the finish line there is room for Zelda in the marketing. Fire Emblem might be a little early after Three Hopes though.

Also I wanna signal boost 2D Mario: 2D MARIO. Thank you.
I agree with this. I think a big chunk of EPD were busy finishing Animal Crossing New Horizons, then Splatoon 3 now and BotW 2 next
I wonder if new hardware will be shown with a first party direct as rumored.
Probably not. Revisions have been their own thing since the start of Switch era. Last time I recall Direct announcing hardware was New 3DS. I think most probable outcome is a handful of games revealed at the next Direct and appearing on a Pro trailer later, like Metroid Dread being announced in June and appearing on the OLED trailer and revealed to be its launch title. I think the same will happen with Remakester.
Now that I think about it, while I was assuming BOTW2 would be the closer, maybe they would save that for an unannounced game. BOTW2 the big middle feature, and new Fire Emblem as the closer maybe? It'd fill that roll well I think. Metroid Prime remaster seems more like an opener IMO, and the only other thing that I think they'd close with is if there's something massive like a 3D Mario.
I think it would be smart to start hype cycle for a holiday 2023 Mario right now. They've done it before, September 2018 revealed Luigi's Mansion 3 which was holiday 2019 and Animal Crossing that ended up being early 2020, despite 2019 being absolutely packed from late spring til late summer. Most of it only got to be shown at September Direct. I can see a trailer for something like the next 3D Mario and Metroid Prime 4 for holiday 2023, with stuff like 2D Mario and DK, new remasters and etc for April to September being February Direct reveals.

I can't believe they actually did a Direct on April 1st and played it completely straight instead of making an April's Fools joke or two.

A Direct the week of TGS isn't out of the question, but as far as I know it's unprecedented.
It's not a zero percent chance I don't think, but if it's that week I think it would have to be on Tuesday, which would be a bit odd.

What are y'all thoughts on a Ring Fit Adventure sequel?
I think it's inevitable and will come eventually, but will we see it on Switch? Anybody knows if there's rumblings on the team having it in development based on hirings?

I would also ask the same with Astral Chain, do y'all believe a sequel to it is coming soon(like 2023/2024).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom