• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They've also done the Direct the following day. They just don't try to steal each other's thunder.
If Tuesday the 13th is out, then I don't think the Direct will be later than Thursday 9/8. The 13th was kind of the only date they could do it that week since TGS starts on 9/15. Hopefully we'll see smoke start to build soon.

I forgot about the date for TGS this year. That may put a wrinkle in any date speculation. Still its gonna be a packed September from games to events.

If Tuesday the 13th is out, then I don't think the Direct will be later than Thursday 9/8. The 13th was kind of the only date they could do it that week since TGS starts on 9/15. Hopefully we'll see smoke start to build soon.
Watch them do it on 9/1 now to stay out of Splat 3 week, away from Apple, and get something on the books before TGS

Watch them do it on 9/1 now to stay out of Splat 3 week, away from Apple, and get something on the books before TGS
I’ve actually been thinking it might be the 31st/1st for a while now for exactly that reason. It wouldn’t surprise me based on how scheduling is right now.

This is why when people talk about "three year dev cycles" I laugh it off, since most Nintendo games actually are 3 years minimum, with many bright an additional 1-2 years post-release dev for updates/DLC.
To be fair in this case we are talking about 8 year dev cycle, New Horizons development started before Wii U even released lol (as mentioned before most of the first years was probably just pre production because the Animal Crossing was also busy with other things between 2012-2015)

Sometimes I feel like I have way different standards than most people on videogame message boards or I just play way less games than most people online, but I think liking 3 games from a single publisher is a pretty damn good year. This year I have picked up only three Nintendo games: Pokemon Legends, Fire Emblem Warrios Three Hopes, and Xenoblade 3. With those alone, I feel this year in gaming has been super satisfying. I would say that majority of Nintendo games aren't for me. I don't pick up any of the Mario Sports game, don't have much interest in the Sports series. Mario Party does nothing for me. I'm not even a huge fan of Mario Kart. But I recognize that not everything a game company makes can and will be for me. I think it's good for a publisher to have a diverse lineup even if that means I don't get exactly what I want 100% of the time.
I'm in the same boat. When I hear people talk about any of the Switch's years as lackluster I can't even remotely relate! There have been at least 2 or 3 must-have games for me every year, and this year has had even more than that.

I realized I was in the minority when I discovered that 2015 was considered a bad year for Nintendo by some despite being the year of Splatoon and Mario Maker, two of the best games of that entire generation.

Has there been any smoke or rumors about an upcoming direct? Seems to be we are just assuming due to history and because Nintendo has been so quiet regarding their 2023 plans.

Last edited:
Has there been any smoke or rumors about an upcoming direct? Seems to be we are just assuming due to history and because Nintendo has been so quiet regarding their 2023 plans.
We know they need to do SOMETHING before TGS, but that can be a Partner Showcase.

yep, just assuming based on history. there are no rumors yet and afaik they have no obligation to do something before tgs

Am I able to sue EPD Tokyo for not releasing a game for almost 5 years?

I know suing EPD Tokyo sounds silly, but it's not about how it sounds. It's about justice. I am literally heartbroken a crying when every Direct passes by and nothing from them. I also tried sending letters to them about what's happening and no response for a while. I'm planning on contacting a lawyer, but I wanna get advice here to see what can i do. So what can I do? I wanna take this to a civil court. Will a judge take it?

Now that we're past the Splatoon 3 Direct and have started a new week, I thought I'd reshare the "September Direct" and TGS data chart I made a month ago.

Just posting some data:

Year
TGS Start
21st
20th
12th
24th
30th
15th
Sep. Direct
13th
6th > 13th*
4th
17th
23rd
???

*2018 Direct postponed a week due to earthquake
As a side note, Nintendo has never held a Direct the same week of TGS except for a Wii Fit U Direct, which has a completely different audience to that of TGS. So don't expect anything from the 13th-15th, as they like to get out of TGS's way beforehand. And as for a "late September Direct", don't count on that either. In the Switch era, Nintendo has never held a Direct after TGS for the remainder of September. Now could we get another Indie World or a partner showcase or a game specific Direct? Sure, but my advice is to keep your eyes and ears peeled for the last week of August and the first full week of September.

Now that we're past the Splatoon 3 Direct and have started a new week, I thought I'd reshare the "September Direct" and TGS data chart I made a month ago.

As a side note, Nintendo has never held a Direct the same week of TGS except for a Wii Fit U Direct, which has a completely different audience to that of TGS. So don't expect anything from the 13th-15th, as they like to get out of TGS's way beforehand. And as for a "late September Direct", don't count on that either. In the Switch era, Nintendo has never held a Direct after TGS for the remainder of September. Now could we get another Indie World or a partner showcase or a game specific Direct? Sure, but my advice is to keep your eyes and ears peeled for the last week of August and the first full week of September.
All of these also have one thing in common, they happened one week before TGS. 2018 is a expection is the date before earthquake was probably just because they wanted more heads up that NSO is launching. But I still think it will be September 1st/2nd. I don't think they will go with: it will be August in same places and it will be a September in other zones.

COVID delays only compounded on a preexisting issue. Output consistency with Nintendo's 1st party lineup was an issue before COVID, especially with the Switch. 2018 was a very weak year, and 2020 was likely to be as well even without COVID. Look at the lineups for 2016, 2012, 2011, and 2008 if you want more examples.

The Switch follows the (general) trend of alternating good/bad years, like Nintendo home systems have since the Wii. Problem is, there's no longer a handheld line (with smaller scoped games) to potentially pick up the slack. And they're making less games then ever before because, as a home console, Switch games implicitly require bigger budgets/scopes. And there's no longer the business urgency needed to support two platforms simultaneously. As a consolidation of both the console and handheld lines (which was meant to fix game droughts) the Switch has been a failure.
Why do you say since Wii when the Gamecube is arguably the worst system when it came to droughts? At least in terms of what I was playing, it had the least amount of games I have bought on any 21st century Nintendo system. Switch has easily been the best from a 1st party and for sure 3rd party perspective, even without a handheld line. So don't see how the Switch has been a failure in that regard at all?

It will be September 7th and we will be happy like a young foal that has just discovered that it only needs 1 or 2 steps to stink up the whole stable.

Decided to put the data into desmos as a linear regression model and got about September 8th as a potential date.

unknown.png

Sauce: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/viutrz5n4q

Damn September 7/8 sounds like a great time to announce new hardware coming out in November!!!
I think it can be Metroid Prime Remastered being revealed as a Twitter drop on the following weeks then the Switch Pro revealed to be coming the same day as it(November 11th).

I think it can be Metroid Prime Remastered being revealed as a Twitter drop on the following weeks then the Switch Pro revealed to be coming the same day as it(November 11th).
I do think, in all seriousness, that Metroid Prime 1 Remastered would absolutely be a killer launch title for the new hardware (just as Dread was for the OLED)

I do think, in all seriousness, that Metroid Prime 1 Remastered would absolutely be a killer launch title for the new hardware (just as Dread was for the OLED)
I'm still somewhat hopeful it can happen!
Dread released with OLED and Lite released with Link's Awakening (a remake) so we have precedence.
Metroid Prime Remastered can be a good showcase of what the system will be capable of(4K iconic/acclaimed game). It would also benefit from being launch title of a premium model.
Most people say Zelda but I don't think it's happening this time. Mainly because it doesn't have a set date - opposed to MPR that has been done since late 2021. I don't think Zelda would release alongside hardware if it comes in any month that's not February or March. It can be released any month until June tho, and I don't think they'd release hardware in April or May.
I still think November 2022 alongside Prime and right before Pokémon and Black Friday - just like OLED and Lite on the October and September of 2021 and 2019, respectively did.
The next spot is March tho. That month it can release with either Zelda or 2D Mario.

Nintendo only needs their own Insomniac who can put out a new high quality action adventure with mainstream appeal every two years. Easy.
It would be literally Next Level Games if Mario Strikers was an adventure game.

But i guess Game Freak would count?? And they're releasing TWO mainstream appealing adventure games this year!!

Genshin Impact on Switch will be one of those games that will never be released on Switch but also never officially cancelled. Mihoyo will just keep saying that the game is coming without ever showing anything to prove it.

TeamSeptember. Believe.
Team August makes me not believe 😉

Yeah I had a feeling before
And now you closing the door
Because you don't want me coming in

Sorry I had to fit a lyric by Lil Peep anywhere because his album is completing 5 years today and I'm effing sad.

Only a Direct or a very good rumor will cheer me up tbh.

Genshin Impact on Switch will be one of those games that will never be released on Switch but also never officially cancelled. Mihoyo will just keep saying that the game is coming without ever showing anything to prove it.
We had that post-DKCTF game that Retro confirmed to be in development for Wii U that never got officially cancelled but we all know was during ~2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom