• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until the Ukraine situation is resolved I wouldn't expect any news for either of these based on what's been officially said and rumored.

Mario Kart DLC in August, Splatoon is in September, Bayonetta 3 in October. What more does Fami need?

Good first choice because that's the best one of the GBA games. Bad first choice because that's the best of the GBA games.

If you believe that there will be news about Advance Wars and Goldeneye until the Ukraine conflict is "resolved", then essentially you believe these games are cancelled because I hate to break it to everyone, the war isn't coming to an end anytime soon.

March I feel is the absolute latest they wait to show a game with a "Spring 2023" release window. Unless I missed a date, my personal bet would be February since that's been the most common month in recent years for General/Mini non-specific game directs usually focusing on upcoming games for the first half of the year:

January 11, 2018
March 8, 2018
February 13, 2019
March 26, 2020
February 17, 2021
February 9, 2022

There’s no way they start marketing BotW2 in March for a spring release. I know we’ve been waiting a long time, but let’s not go crazy and just be patient, we’ll see it soon enough.

If you believe that there will be news about Advance Wars and Goldeneye until the Ukraine conflict is "resolved", then essentially you believe these games are cancelled because I hate to break it to everyone, the war isn't coming to an end anytime soon.
I could see them waiting until 2023, assuming the situation doesn't change materially, and public attention on the conflict has sufficiently waned, but I'm inclined to take them at their word. Regardless, I think expecting news in August/September is overly optimistic.

There’s no way they start marketing BotW2 in March for a spring release. I know we’ve been waiting a long time, but let’s not go crazy and just be patient people, we’ll see it soon enough.
Right. My expectation is a teaser trailer at the Keighlys (and not much before then), and then an information blow-out in a direct in January or February at the latest.

Where
I thought it’d be fun to recap the big July announcements and make a list of things to watch for in August and beyond.

In July we had:

A new Kirby game announced!
Bayonetta 3 trailer and release date!
Mario Kart Wave 2 Announcement!
Xenoblade 3 and Live A Live released!
Flutes!
Switch Sports Summer Update Featuring New Volleyball Moves!
Mario Strikers Free Update 1
New SNES / NES / N64 / Genesis NSO games!

In August we should be on the lookout for:

New Pokemon Trailer!
Splatoon 3 Direct!
Indie World!
Maybe A General Direct!
New Kirby Game Date
Potential Advance Wars Rescheduling

Interesting Leaks / Rumors:

Metroid Prime HD
New Fire Emblem
Everybody 1 - 2 Switch
New Goldeneye
Drake Switch
F-Zero Something

What is the F-Zero Something? Been away at my county fair last few days and haven’t had much time to read stuff.

I could see them waiting until 2023, assuming the situation doesn't change materially, and public attention on the conflict has sufficiently waned, but I'm inclined to take them at their word. Regardless, I think expecting news in August/September is overly optimistic.

Right. My expectation is a teaser trailer at the Keighlys (and not much before then), and then an information blow-out in a direct in January or February at the latest.

Nintendo only ever said that they were delaying the game indefinitely. They never said they were going to wait for the conflict to end before releasing the game. And for Goldeneye, no one has said anything because the game hasn't been announced yet. The war is at a stalemate and progressing slowly. These companies aren't gonna want to sit on these games forever. Call of Duty is of course gonna come out and sell a ton. Fortnite already had a war themed season right as the war was starting. No one is gonna care if either Advance Wars or Goldeneye come out this year.

Aria is one of the best. SotN is very good too (a bit too overhyped though), and my personal fav is Order of Ecclesia.
yeah its really good.
Good first choice because that's the best one of the GBA games. Bad first choice because that's the best of the GBA games.
hahaha. ngl. I just bought the collection for Aria anyway because I loved the artstyle and all the good things I heard about it.

If there is another game I'll enjoy I wont say no but it doesn't matter too much.

We’ve had 2 teaser trailers already and the game is less than a year away, bar any further delay. Also, Nintendo has been pretty much absent from Kheighley’s show since Reggie’s departure, so I really don’t think they will choose this venue to showcase it.

I’m still betting on the marketing push to begin this September/fall for BotW2.

Be careful, as of the last page it has been established that i am a Lvl 15 Wild Mage from DnD.

That is like being Snake in Smash Bros. ... dangerous for everyone including myself!
I'll just moonwalk up the stairs and spin my whip around like a mad man negating all projectiles you throw at me. Checkmate. 😎

I'll just moonwalk up the stairs and spin my whip around like a mad man negating all projectiles you throw at me. Checkmate. 😎

You don't understand! Wild Magic means i can blow you up, or blow myself up ... or have both of us hit by a falling anvil. Or even summon a never-ending Footlong for Derachi!

Anything could happen.

As much as I'd like this conflict to end as soon as possible (mostly for my sanity's sake), I think that they just delayed both games to the 2023 ("new year - new problems", not trying to be cynical, just my guess).

Nintendo only ever said that they were delaying the game indefinitely. They never said they were going to wait for the conflict to end before releasing the game.
Ok, I'm probably reading between the lines or assuming that an indefinite delay means they're waiting until the conflict ends or has less attention on it.

Also, Nintendo has been pretty much absent from Kheighley’s show since Reggie’s departure, so I really don’t think they will choose this venue to showcase it.

I’m still betting on the marketing push to begin this September/fall for BotW2.
Huh, for some reason I was thinking that we got a BotW 2 trailer at the Keighlys but I'm very mistaken. You're probably right that they'll start pushing later this year.

We'll see BOTW2 in September probably, and if we don't see it there we're not seeing it at TGA either. I just wouldn't expect anything substantial from Nintendo at TGA anymore, Sephiroth in Smash being the exception since he was coming out soon and it was the perfect venue for it.

You don't understand! Wild Magic means i can blow you up, or blow myself up ... or have both of us hit by a falling anvil. Or even summon a never-ending Footlong for Derachi!

Anything could happen.
If I can handle Medusa heads and annoying bats, then surely I can handle an escargot eating ostrich wearing a fancy suit and tie.

Remember when we thought Aonuma would do a new game where you play a thief? lol. Too bad Zelda takes so long. A new high budget singleplayer IP from EPD 3 would be a sight to see.

But I also wouldn't want to wait 10+ years for the next Zelda so I guess I am part of the problem.

Well, with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at last being out, the month drawing to a close, and the future of the thread being unknown, now feels like as good a time as any for me to post my closing thoughts. Here is the credits theme of this thread:

While I was fully prepared for new hardware to not be on the table, I never could have participated the arduous road that led us here. It was the combination of 2020 and 2021, with Nintendo taking the same approach to their own announcements as they did during the former summer and the expected disappointment of no hardware as in the latter summer.

Despite this, there was mirth throughout. Unlike the previous two years, there was an unmistakable joy to weathering the storm together; the camaraderie we've built over the past few weeks truly cannot be overstated. Speculation is an often unrewarding path, and my love of it has been waning for years. However, a strong legion remains.

As for what's next, that's for the staff to decide. To me, however, this month has told a story, with all the understated drama and calm sorrow of great fiction. August is another chapter, and will likely tell a much simpler and more predictable story. There will be a Pokémon trailer for the preorder period, and almost certainly a Splatoon 3 Direct. There will no doubt be surprises, including the possible release of Kirby's Dream Buffet, but to my mind we have reached the end of our long and winding path, and a calm and simple one lies straight ahead.

I hope that you all continue to have fun in a different way as we enter this calm month.

Remember when we thought Aonuma would do a new game where you play a thief? lol. Too bad Zelda takes so long. A new high budget singleplayer IP from EPD 3 would be a sight to see.

But I also wouldn't want to wait 10+ years for the next Zelda so I guess I am part of the problem.
Zelda's in an odd but predictable spot where, despite having more resources than ever before thrown at it, we're experiencing the longest ever gap between new mainline entries in the series. Some of that is absolutely down to the pandemic, and some of it is simply a reflection of Zelda being a big budget, prestige franchise. Zelda had Capcom on it in the early to mid 2000s, as well as EAD, but in the last decade that's mushroomed to EPD, Monolith Soft, Grezzo, Tantalus and Koei-Tecmo (for Warriors) all working on the series in some capacity.

I'm hopeful that with the sales of recent releases being so strong, Nintendo are ramping up investment in the series so that, post Breath of the Wild 2, there'll at least be a new '2D' entry before the next open world game comes along. That cash flow and those new facilities for EPD will be very important in ensuring that these flagship series continue to get regular games as development demands continue to increase. It also means, for now, we don't get to see what else EPD 3 could do.

Zelda's in an odd but predictable spot where, despite having more resources than ever before thrown at it, we're experiencing the longest ever gap between new mainline entries in the series. Some of that is absolutely down to the pandemic, and some of it is simply a reflection of Zelda being a big budget, prestige franchise. Zelda had Capcom on it in the early to mid 2000s, as well as EAD, but in the last decade that's mushroomed to EPD, Monolith Soft, Grezzo, Tantalus and Koei-Tecmo (for Warriors) all working on the series in some capacity.

I'm hopeful that with the sales of recent releases being so strong, Nintendo are ramping up investment in the series so that, post Breath of the Wild 2, there'll at least be a new '2D' entry before the next open world game comes along. That cash flow and those new facilities for EPD will be very important in ensuring that these flagship series continue to get regular games as development demands continue to increase. It also means, for now, we don't get to see what else EPD 3 could do.
I agree. It should be the goal of Nintendo to produce two style of games for the series. There should be put resources into assuring that a new 2D game is a normality. Say every 3-4 years for example.
The same goes for 2D Metroid and 3D Metroid.

The problem with open world games I guess is that they only get more demanding and I think there is a possibility that Nintendo just says to themselves that the resources are better utilized when they are provided for the big 3D Zeldas. You see this with every open world developer nowadays. Less variety, less but bigger, games.

There isn't really room for other projects anymore because devs get absorbed into this big, ambitious titles halting potential developing time for smaller scale titles.

They should form a development team lead by veterans to guide younger staff creating their own 2D Zelda games. Like they do with 2D Mario and 3D Mario.

EPD10 made NSMB 2 for teaching purposes AFAIK. Giving them experience at how to design levels and consequently a Mario game.

2D Zelda can serve a similar purpose imo.
Giving younger staff the chance to see how Zelda works and not having the pressure of the big 3D games.

Maybe in collaboration with third party partners like a smaller part of Grezzo. But I don't know how big Grezzo is right now.

EDIT: for reference - Infos of NSMB 2 staff

I think (hope) a new 2D Zelda will be one of those games that comes out in late 2023 or 2024. A 2D game and Wind Waker/Twilight Princess seem like good releases that Nintendo could easily put out on a new platform (if they have one by then) but those are also not intensive enough to keep them from coming out on the Switch as well.

I'm also still hoping for GB/GBA on NSO this fall. That will help me get that 2D Zelda fix.

I agree. It should be the goal of Nintendo to produce two style of games for the series. There should be put resources into assuring that a new 2D game is a normality. Say 2-4 years for example.
The same goes for 2D Metroid and 3D Metroid.

The problem with open world games I guess is that they only get more demanding and I think there is a possibility that Nintendo just says to themselves that the resources are better utilized when they are provided for the big 3D Zeldas. You see this with every open world developer nowadays. Less variety, less but bigger, games.

There isn't really room for other projects anymore because devs get absorbed into this big, ambitious titles halting potential developing time for smaller scale titles.

They should form a development team lead by veterans to guide younger staff creating their own 2D Zelda games. Like they do with 2D Mario and 3D Mario.

EPD10 made NSMB 2 for teaching purposes AFAIK. Giving them experience at how to design levels and consequently a Mario game.

2D Zelda can serve a similar purpose imo.
Giving younger staff the chance to see how Zelda works and not having the pressure of the big 3D games.

Maybe in collaboration with third party partners like a smaller part of Grezzo. But I don't know how big Grezzo is right now.
The last word on new 2D Zelda from Aonuma was that he wanted to keep the team at EPD separate from the team making the open world games. I imagine the problem isn't that they don't have the senior creative staff available; it's more that they can't assign enough development staff from EPD's central pool to make a new 2D Zelda while also working on open world Zelda and every other big project in Kyoto. It might also be the case that Aonuma didn't approve a new 2D Zelda concept for a little while; in 2017, he wanted the 'portable' team to rethink Zelda the way the open world approach had done.

Grezzo are a sensible choice for a continued partner, but it's questionable as to whether Grezzo only or mostly want to work on Zelda, or whether they want the freedom to do their own stuff, too. I suspect Oracle remakes happen eventually simply because a good chunk of the assets and visual style required already exist. The games were also popular back in the day, selling 4 million each, apparently.
I think (hope) a new 2D Zelda will be one of those games that comes out in late 2023 or 2024. A 2D game and Wind Waker/Twilight Princess seem like good releases that Nintendo could easily put out on a new platform (if they have one by then) but those are also not intensive enough to keep them from coming out on the Switch as well.

I'm also still hoping for GB/GBA on NSO this fall. That will help me get that 2D Zelda fix.
Personally I'm not expecting a new 2D Zelda until 2024, now that Breath of the Wild 2 is 2023. I'm hoping it's in the works, for sure.

Well, with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at last being out, the month drawing to a close, and the future of the thread being unknown, now feels like as good a time as any for me to post my closing thoughts. Here is the credits theme of this thread:

While I was fully prepared for new hardware to not be on the table, I never could have participated the arduous road that led us here. It was the combination of 2020 and 2021, with Nintendo taking the same approach to their own announcements as they did during the former summer and the expected disappointment of no hardware as in the latter summer.

Despite this, there was mirth throughout. Unlike the previous two years, there was an unmistakable joy to weathering the storm together; the camaraderie we've built over the past few weeks truly cannot be overstated. Speculation is an often unrewarding path, and my love of it has been waning for years. However, a strong legion remains.

As for what's next, that's for the staff to decide. To me, however, this month has told a story, with all the understated drama and calm sorrow of great fiction. August is another chapter, and will likely tell a much simpler and more predictable story. There will be a Pokémon trailer for the preorder period, and almost certainly a Splatoon 3 Direct. There will no doubt be surprises, including the possible release of Kirby's Dream Buffet, but to my mind we have reached the end of our long and winding path, and a calm and simple one lies straight ahead.

I hope that you all continue to have fun in a different way as we enter this calm month.

Screw that, I want August to be a chibi-robo on fire month!

But yes, that's a nice sentiment. I really enjoy this community we've built here, I'm extremely proud of everyone.

2D Zelda should continue to carry on the old formula and innovate. I feel like this year is ripe for a 2D Zelda despite many people believing it'll just be a low effort Twilight Princess/Wind Waker HD re-release. Those games will tend to compete with the just released Skyward Sword and the upcomign BOTW, as they are all 3D Zeldas. A 2D Zelda would be a perfect paelette cleanser. Or they just don't come out with a mainline or Zelda branded title this year, new release or remaster.

At least we have everybody’s general discussion thread for august Sunday by yourself truly

I was really frustrated with the lack of a summer (general) direct. I really hope we get some new first party announcements from them soon. The partner show cases, while some times pretty good, can feel like a cop out.

Didn't Jeff Grubb insinuate there'd be single-game Directs sprinkled throughout July or so? Like bite sized Directs just focusing on single games? I guess that didn't come to pass?

Didn't Jeff Grubb insinuate there'd be single-game Directs sprinkled throughout July or so? Like bite sized Directs just focusing on single games? I guess that didn't come to pass?
No, he said no such thing. He said news would be spread out this summer, rather than at a big June direct, which is exactly what happened.

I'll keep saying it, but August news should be pretty regular too, hopefully:

• Pokemon trailer
  • Splatoon Direct
  • Kirby release
  • Indie World

That's a nice, even spread, and we've got Kart Wave 2 launching next week.

This July has been a rollercoaster, with hype for hardware for then Twitter drops. Thanks to everyone, it really felt like continuation of June speculation. It was so much fun.

When are we expecting EPD Tokyo to announce their next game. Has to be getting fairly close with Mario Odyssey releasing nearly 5 years ago. I guess they could be waiting for new hardware.

ezgif-1-93ee2e5d14vlkb3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom