• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, some sort of acknowledgement of Gamecube would be nice. Pretty sure it's fallen into more obscurity than Wii U or even Virtual Boy at this point.

But I'll be shocked if we even hear of Metroid Prime before summer. Confirm GoldenEye and I'll be more than satisfied. Fall Guys would be a cherry on top.

Be nice to get some more western 3rd party ports so long as cloud edition isn't mentioned, especially after the Kingdom Hearts performance debacle.

I think this topic has come up before but I really want them to also bring back classic regular enemies, the weirdo shit like Dairas and Achemans

TAoL_Daira_Artwork.png
TAoL_Acheman_Artwork.png
Doing the Forest Temple the other night in Ocarina made me miss proper Stalfos in Breath of the Wild. More weird humanoids from the early games would be great, though.

Just bellyaching for the sake of it 😋 If people are so convinced that GC on NSO is a pipedream, then at least I want to see what Nintendo could do to modernize these games for an HD console. Just with Nintendo, Super Mario Sunshine was available for all of six months.

Windwaker and Twilight Princess were updated for Wii U but haven't been brought to Switch yet; seems odd to be among the last remaining games that haven't been ported yet from the console. Metroid Prime has been rumoured for years and maybe this is the year it's finally announced, let alone released. Third parties have seen the re-release of Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4/0, Star Wars: Jedi Knight, FFCC, and even XIII is coming out this year apparently, but there's plenty more that deserve love and are fading away unnecessarily.

Pikmin 1 and 2 haven't been seen since Wii (U; nearly forgot the Wii ROMs were on the eshop). Custom Robo and Chibi Robo are dead. Wave Race got an internal tech demo and nothing more. RIP F-Zero. Starfox Adventures has as much a chance of a remake as Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ever seeing the light of day again. I genuinely have higher hopes for SSX making a return before 1080° Avalanche.

Unfortunately for me my favourite Gamecube titles are the ones that don't exactly print money, and the ones I did love that got further sequels (like Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario that were critically and commercially acclaimed deservedly) and I still enjoyed in some capacity, but did go off in a creative direction that wasn't to my taste, per se.

My PC rig isn't quite powerful enough to brutefore emulation to the level of performance I want to see those games at, but setting up my gamecube again in current confined space is cumbersome and looks like smeared vaseline on a 1080p panel (which is a shame because I know they look better than what's displayed because of the CPU and GPU under the hood).

tl;dr I want to feel the same serotonin I felt when I first got into home console gaming with Gamecube

I definitely think GameCube has a subscription app once Nintendo have hardware that can emulate the games without a large amount of manual tinkering.

Just bellyaching for the sake of it 😋 If people are so convinced that GC on NSO is a pipedream, then at least I want to see what Nintendo could do to modernize these games for an HD console. Just with Nintendo, Super Mario Sunshine was available for all of six months.

Windwaker and Twilight Princess were updated for Wii U but haven't been brought to Switch yet; seems odd to be among the last remaining games that haven't been ported yet from the console. Metroid Prime has been rumoured for years and maybe this is the year it's finally announced, let alone released. Third parties have seen the re-release of Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4/0, Star Wars: Jedi Knight, FFCC, and even XIII is coming out this year apparently, but there's plenty more that deserve love and are fading away unnecessarily.

Pikmin 1 and 2 haven't been seen since Wii (U; nearly forgot the Wii ROMs were on the eshop). Custom Robo and Chibi Robo are dead. Wave Race got an internal tech demo and nothing more. RIP F-Zero. Starfox Adventures has as much a chance of a remake as Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ever seeing the light of day again. I genuinely have higher hopes for SSX making a return before 1080° Avalanche.

Unfortunately for me my favourite Gamecube titles are the ones that don't exactly print money, and the ones I did love that got further sequels (like Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario that were critically and commercially acclaimed deservedly) and I still enjoyed in some capacity, but did go off in a creative direction that wasn't to my taste, per se.

My PC rig isn't quite powerful enough to brutefore emulation to the level of performance I want to see those games at, but setting up my gamecube again in current confined space is cumbersome and looks like smeared vaseline on a 1080p panel (which is a shame because I know they look better than what's displayed because of the CPU and GPU under the hood).

tl;dr I want to feel the same serotonin I felt when I first got into home console gaming with Gamecube

GC games on Switch or its successor are really only a question of time, same with WWHD and TPHD. That we haven't seen some of the series isn't really specific to the GC either. There's so many Wii/DS/3DS games that will most likely never be followed up for various reasons. Not sure where this impression stems from that they're specifically ignoring the GC.

GC games on Switch or its successor are really only a question of time, same with WWHD and TPHD. That we haven't seen some of the series isn't really specific to the GC either. There's so many Wii/DS/3DS games that will most likely never be followed up for various reasons. Not sure where this impression stems from that they're specifically ignoring the GC.
I think honestly it goes back to when I had higher hopes for Wii U (but then, who didn't?) I fully expected a Virtual Console that would carry over the titles from Wii (hah.), and an eventual release for Gamecube ROMs to be sold for $12-$15 like NES, SNES and N64 titles. The pro controller doesn't have analog triggers, but then Smash came out with a Gamecube adapter for four controllers at once. Okay, so if they maintain sales of this little dongle and new Smash GC controllers then surely GC will be coming soon to VC! Then I find out from the homebrew scene a few years later Wii U has Wii internals. Oh, so it could run the Gamecube ROMs at 1:1 emulation? That's fantastic, GC has to be coming soon to VC!

I believed that Nintendo was going to struggle more with Wii games on Switch but they'd find some way to make it work with motion controls and whatnot, which I'd be more understanding with. I just feel they should be farther along in their efforts for emulation and retro catalogue support, and this anemic NES/SNES support in the last six months (granted, I accept it's 3rd party licensing mostly out of their control) capstoned with an Expansion Pass that certainly feels overpriced unless they add another console (and soon) just feels incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

I know by all rights that in theory it is slowly improving, and that they won't just let this service stagnate, but I feel any and all patience I've had for Nintendo in the past has since evaporated and I wish they weren't moving at such a glacial pace for what is otherwise such a successful company.

Yeah I'd still be bummed out at no GCN NSO ever because it feels like it'd be the only way the vast majority of its library would see the light of day again.

People always say that they could just remaster most of them, but like...outside of stuff like Metroid Prime or the Zelda games...it's very slim pickings for potential full blown remasters. We already did get Sunshine through SM3DA, Smash Melee, Animal Crossing and MK DD aren't getting HD remasters for obvious reasons, Luigi's Mansion already got a 3DS remake, Nintendo obviously wants to forget about Paper Mario pre-Sticker Star, ditto with Star Fox after SF64, and Eternal Darkness, DK Jungle Beat, Custom Robo, Chibi-Robo!, F-Zero GX, etc are probably too niche or dead to get the remaster treatment. Those are the types of games that would only be playable on a modern platform through NSO/VC styled rom dumps.

GC VC/NSO is a matter of time yeah.

It’s in the state where it’s not retro enough for easy ports/emulations yet not new enough for VC. We’ll get there eventually

At least they’ve showed interest in remastering it’s biggest games, though I do feel for those who want it’s more niche ones.

I think honestly it goes back to when I had higher hopes for Wii U (but then, who didn't?) I fully expected a Virtual Console that would carry over the titles from Wii (hah.), and an eventual release for Gamecube ROMs to be sold for $12-$15 like NES, SNES and N64 titles. The pro controller doesn't have analog triggers, but then Smash came out with a Gamecube adapter for four controllers at once. Okay, so if they maintain sales of this little dongle and new Smash GC controllers then surely GC will be coming soon to VC! Then I find out from the homebrew scene a few years later Wii U has Wii internals. Oh, so it could run the Gamecube ROMs at 1:1 emulation? That's fantastic, GC has to be coming soon to VC!

I believed that Nintendo was going to struggle more with Wii games on Switch but they'd find some way to make it work with motion controls and whatnot, which I'd be more understanding with. I just feel they should be farther along in their efforts for emulation and retro catalogue support, and this anemic NES/SNES support in the last six months (granted, I accept it's 3rd party licensing mostly out of their control) capstoned with an Expansion Pass that certainly feels overpriced unless they add another console (and soon) just feels incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

I know by all rights that in theory it is slowly improving, and that they won't just let this service stagnate, but I feel any and all patience I've had for Nintendo in the past has since evaporated and I wish they weren't moving at such a glacial pace for what is otherwise such a successful company.

I get being disappointed with Nintendo's treatment of their legacy library and the drip feeding of emulated games via NSO, it wasn't what I understood from your post about "GC falling into obscurity".

There's been a Mario game in H1 every year of the Switch's lifespan except 2020 (which had Paper Mario in July). A new Mario game is a lock for this Direct. Probably a June game like Tennis Aces/Super Rush/Maker 2.

There's been a Mario game in H1 every year of the Switch's lifespan except 2020 (which had Paper Mario in July). A new Mario game is a lock for this Direct. Probably a June game like Tennis Aces/Super Rush/Maker 2.

Mario died last year, not sure what you're on about.

edit: and tbh it's really insensitive of you to bring it up in such manner

Super Mario Odyssey 2* surprise summer huge release let's gooo**

*unlikely because of Splatoon 3 but who knows

**hey maybe we could get a new Mario spin off for a change

We still need a Mario + Rabbids release date. You think we'll get a new Mario announcement with a quick release?

Super Mario Bros. 3 Maker.

It's like Mario Maker but you can only make levels from SMB3. It doesn't let you make anything else.

If Nintendo does something like open with Xenoblade 3 and then new FE is the midpoint again, I'm going to foam at the mouth with hype for whatever might be closing the Direct

Wario Tycoon definitely needs to be a thing. It can be like a more structured Islanders, except instead of gradually building communities across expanding islands as you meet score criteria, you'd have a more complex game where Wario needs to manage a company well enough for it to make large profits while draining its funds for himself. You have to balance profits and funds drained versus suspicion. Once you hit a certain funds drained amount, you can move into a new business sector. You make decisions about which sector to invest in next to add replay value to the game.

Gimme all the Mario spinoffs. All of them. Sports? RPGs? Another Princess Peach game, which should have happened ages ago? Unless it's a horrible game, I'll play them all.

Wario Land? What the heck's a Wario Land? That doesn't sound like WarioWare.

I'm so sorry, they should make another Wario Land.

Super Mario Divinity Original Sin please.

Oh wait Mario + Rabbids already exists.

The funniest thing is that there's so many Mario games on Switch they had to remove some to make space for new ones.

I'm sorry to be negative, but as a fan of other, less prolific Nintendo series I rolled my eyes hard at Super Mario 35.

34 was more than enough imho
Wait until we get F-Zero 99. Ha. Haha— descends into maniacal laughter

I definitely think GameCube has a subscription app once Nintendo have hardware that can emulate the games without a large amount of manual tinkering.
I’m with you on this. It makes a lot of sense for NSO + EP on the Switch 2.

Hey folks, so I have always enjoyed making lists of past directs, announcements, games, ect. My one regret is I never saved this work on ERA lol. Anyway I made a chart to show trends of past directs in the Switch era. Let me know what you think and if there is anything else I should be adding to the list. I'm hoping to do more like this in the future.

FkaFuq8.png

Edit: I just realized something I forgot to add. If the game title is bolded, that means it is being revealed/announced for the first time.

Hey folks, so I have always enjoyed making lists of past directs, announcements, games, ect. My one regret is I never saved this work on ERA lol. Anyway I made a chart to show trends of past directs in the Switch era. Let me know what you think and if there is anything else I should be adding to the list. I'm hoping to do more like this in the future.

FkaFuq8.png

Edit: I just realized something I forgot to add. If the game title is bolded, that means it is being revealed/announced for the first time.

September 2018 to E3 2019 was something else. The three most recent ones have also been great.

FkaFuq8.png

This is really great, thanks!

I'm curious about the amount of third party games showcased during the Directs, if you have it. Plz don't go out of your way tho if you don't lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom