• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don't think it was shown to press, they wouldn't be seeing it unless a reveal was imminent, and I'm skeptical of a reveal this year.

Edit: Beaten by Nate's clarification above.

Maybe heard (maybe saw) some rumors that may or may not point to the idea that maybe press (or maybe devs) may have seen something but maybe or maybe not

How could such a short tweet that claims like, a single thing happened be loaded with misinformation?
My bet is that it's not. And that someone might be doing a bit of "CYA".

Note: I take no umbridge with someone doing some CYA, sometimes it's important for safety or privacy, or both, just something I keep in mind in situations like this.

The issue now is if any industry chatter is reported, many will take the tweet as correct; while it's claims are not true. Press were not shown anything by Nintendo.
Yeah it’s honestly on me for taking it face value. I should be better about taking stuff like that with a grain of salt.

Are you doing the thing where what you're saying is technically 100% true but you may be omitting the possibility that while they weren't "shown" anything they may have been party to discussions or descriptions?
I think it's obvious what he's doing here tbh. he specifically underscores "press". there is also another party to whom console could've been shown/discussed.

upd. read edited tweet to see what I mean.

I've been attending Gamescom as an industry professional.
I know that Nintendo was showcasing upcoming Switch games to media and retailers behind closed doors. That is all.
Having said that, there was industry chatter about Switch 2 at Gamescom but I will leave details about it to others.

MV5BYjViOTVhMGUtODE4Ny00YjIxLTgxZTktOGNhNzg0OWU1MjBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzNDExOQ%40%40._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Either way, with or without Jez's tweet Nintendo definitely showed or discussed Switch 2 stuff with some people at Gamescom.

I think the idea that an announcement is imminent is a bit of a reach definitely.

I know that Nintendo was showcasing upcoming Switch games to media and retailers behind closed doors. That is all.
Having said that, there was industry chatter about Switch 2 at Gamescom but I will leave details about it to others.
Games that were already announced?

Interesting. So we're the press not briefed about the new switch either or was the clarification just that nothing was physically shown?
The clarification was to more cover their ass in the initial Tweet since they claimed press were definitely shown Switch 2. That is now a maybe which has now further been clarified as they press weren’t shown a thing.

Some devs may have been shown or talked to about it.

Press were not shown anything by Nintendo.
Not completely true as I mentioned above but nothing regarding a Switch successor and in general nothing huge.

Overall people should not overestimate Gamescom for Nintendo. There hasn't been key people from Japan or US attending, it's mainly a community event in B2C and meetings to support the business until end of year for the European branch in B2B.
Even if there's discussions about a Switch successor, most people form Nintendo at Gamescom would not even know.

If there's chatter from Gamescom, it rather comes from devs and other people attending. Nintendo is quite closed, even inside.

That's not relevant at all. LCD displays work fine in HDR, in fact they can hit higher peak brightness than OLED and provide a better HDR experience by doing so.

Once again I point to the LG G6's 1440p HDR LCD display. Masterful then. Still really, really good nowadays.

If we get similar specs just at 1080p and 7.81" diagonal, and it has HDR, it will assuredly be an upgrade over OLED Model.

Due to HDR support very much being possible, I dare even say likely for TV mode since it often goes hand in hand with 4K, I think the handheld display has a greater than 50% chance of being HDR.

(TECHNICALLY... The OLED Model's display COULD handle HDR connected to a different system, but I digress.)
I had this phone. Was a nice phone while it. Lasted. But they took out the dolby vision hdr10 for some reason with an update. Was gutted. Whole reason I got that phone. Anyway, yes lcd can do hdr. Or some of us speculating about sharp igzo implementation, leave alone the Sharp MEMS. Oled would ofcourse be best. But driving hdr and oled takes more power does it not. Oleds issue has always been brightness. Qd-oled and MA Oled fix this, but that is apples an oranges since those are tv technologies. Afterall switch oled does hit 400 nits if I am not mistaken.

So if I understand correctly:
When Switch 2 was mentioned, maybe, the door was closed or maybe half-open.
Then someone closed it, and maybe, someone was locked out. 🤓

And we'll hear about some of these games very soon

I'm strictly referring to what the tweet was making mention to, which was Switch 2 hardware. I'm aware of the software shown to press at Gamescom via Nintendo.
I'm assuming Super Mario Bros Wonder was shown off, given the Direct in two days and other journalists attending Nintendo NYC for a press event.

The issue now is if any industry chatter is reported, many will take the tweet as correct; while it's claims are not true. Press were not shown anything by Nintendo.
An inside job by Microsoft to prevent any Switch 2 news or trends taking off and taking over the social spheres just as Starfield is about to drop?

Only half-kidding about that

Nate specifically stated that nothing was shown to "PRESS". In updated tweet, there were also developers mentioned. Nate haven't denied that, in particular. So I guess it's obvious that something was shown/told to developers regarding Switch 2. Which makes complete sense considering that dev kits are in the wild already.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom