• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

You don't need a 90 Hz screen for 40 FPS, you need a screen that can adjust its refresh rate to 40 (as well as 30 as that will be much more common).

Essentially all TVs do this already, but only for 24 FPS (as that is what film is almost always shot at).
…do they though? I thought since 24 divides into 60 evenly 3 times, a 60Hz display has no issues displaying 24FPS content

Edit: oh my god. My math LMFAOOOO

Nintendo wants their modes to have parity where possible, the current system is designed to give you parity except for resolution, which makes sense when there's a screen size difference. If you want to replicate that idea in the here and now, that means 4KHDR60 and 1080pHDR60. For this same reason I doubt we see VRR, or HDR12, nor Dolby Atmos nor Dolby Vision.
I think having to pay Dolby a licence fee for access to Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision is more likely the reason for Nintendo for probably not supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision than for feature parity reasons.

I think having to pay Dolby a licence fee for access to Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision is more likely the reason for Nintendo for probably not supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision than for feature parity reasons.
I think price is a concern at hand, of course. However, I do think parity is a relevant, palpable reason, at least with Vision; Nintendo is willing to allow surround sound on Switch after all, but there's something to be said about the positional resolution of headphones vs surround sound that's different to one simply being better.

Best benchmarks I've seen suggest that Steam Deck OLED is 2.5-8% faster in games, but the tests strongly suggest that it's CPU limited cases that get us the higher number. The "AMD raster advantage" is something like 30%. I would bet that the lack of Infinity Cache isn't really hurting the Steam Deck here.

Not entirely sure what you're responding to, my Infinity Cache comment or the statement about the "Raster advantage"

Raster Advantage is just benchmarking by TFLOPS, it seems pretty consistent across lots of cards and tests. It's possible that there are arrangements of the CUs/SMs that tilt one way or the other, but I don't have the data to test those. Perhaps those do, in fact, lean against the Steam Deck in this case.

Infinity Cache - yeah, absolutely, the architecture is screaming out for it. But we can't test with IC on and off. In the case of the Steam Deck specifically, we can test what happens when we throw significantly more bandwidth at it. It doesn't make the Deck seem bandwidth starved.

It's highly possible that IC would offer performance benefits that are more about cache friendly workloads, than bandwidth usage per se. On balance, the benchmarks seem to suggest that the lack of the IC isn't dragging the Steam Deck by 30%. But there might be better benchmarks that tease it out. I'm not 100% confident on this at all. Not even 70%.
Sorry, it was in response to the above quoted. Having the cache can help to have less need to reach out to the RAM and makes it more efficient. Due to the Cache having much lower latency and its large size can help keep the more important things on the chip rather than having to reach out to it. You know this, but it’s the large size of it.

Well, maybe in a dedicated device more so than a general purposes GPU… but it has an effect still.

Last edited:
Totally off topic, but good God have I missed your contributions to this thread. Thanks for poppin' in and sharing some more knowledge, Redd! All the best.
Aw, thank you! But I won’t be back for long! This was brief but I’ll probably pop back up when the new system is revealed (so maybe never at this rate 😝)

8nm is a dead end right? I don’t see Nintendo saving a dollar on each SoC on Samsung 8nm only for them to be spending hundreds of millions in R&D to create a brand new SoC in a few years.

Either they go with 4nm but skimp out on battery so they can have a larger battery in the future revision or Nintendo sticks with 8nm till Switch 3

I think the node topic is overdone (mainly because there's nothing else to discuss).
If it's 8nm, the console might be a bit bigger (it is anyway as we know due to the screen size) and a little less powerful, it it will still be quite a jump from Switch and it's not like just the change in node makes it outdated vs nextgen hardware. Games will look great and I can't wait to see them.

My main reason for wanting a smaller node is that in general I want the body to be as small as possible, I don't want a chunky hardware and I think it will hurt Nintendo more in sales than a slightly weaker setup.

I think the node topic is overdone (mainly because there's nothing else to discuss).
If it's 8nm, the console might be a bit bigger (it is anyway as we know due to the screen size) and a little less powerful, it it will still be quite a jump from Switch and it's not like just the change in node makes it outdated vs nextgen hardware. Games will look great and I can't wait to see them.

My main reason for wanting a smaller node is that in general I want the body to be as small as possible, I don't want a chunky hardware and I think it will hurt Nintendo more in sales than a slightly weaker setup.
This whole thread is overdone

You really can't compare the current situation to anything surrounding the Wii U. Some fairly precise specifications of the chip have leaked directly from Nvidia. The information we have about T239 is far more specific and solidly grounded than any of the rumors around what Wii U would be ever were.

This whole thread is overdone
Idk, I feel like we can't get more out of it. Maybe we can talk about how well certain ports will do. I would love to see a battlefield port on here. The destruction physics would be insane. I think it would hold a better performance than obviously the PS4.

couldn't care less for high refresh rate on switch 2's screen as long as it doesn't have flicker (or only has mild flicker at low brightness)

120hz in docked mode however...

8nm is a dead end right? I don’t see Nintendo saving a dollar on each SoC on Samsung 8nm only for them to be spending hundreds of millions in R&D to create a brand new SoC in a few years.

Either they go with 4nm but skimp out on battery so they can have a larger battery in the future revision or Nintendo sticks with 8nm till Switch 3
this is my line of thought too

imo 4n and 5n are nodes that we'll see chips still be manufactured on in ~2030-2032 due to how stagnant node advances will probably become in the next years

However, I do think parity is a relevant, palpable reason, at least with Vision; Nintendo is willing to allow surround sound on Switch after all, but there's something to be said about the positional resolution of headphones vs surround sound that's different to one simply being better.
Considering that iPhones have support for Dolby Vision since 2017, and there are some Android smartphones that do support Dolby Vision (e.g. Xiaomi 14, Xiaomi 13, etc.), I don't think there are technical barriers for implementing Dolby Vision support for handheld mode and TV mode for Nintendo, hypothetically speaking. (Same deal with Dolby Atmos support for iPhones and some Android smartphones (e.g. Xiaomi 14, Xiaomi 13, etc.).)

As I mentioned before, I think whether or not Nintendo wants to pay Dolby a licence fee to access Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support is more likely the reason for Nintendo not supporting Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos than for feature parity reasons.

Considering that iPhones have support for Dolby Vision since 2017, and there are some Android smartphones that do support Dolby Vision (e.g. Xiaomi 14, Xiaomi 13, etc.), I don't think there are technical barriers for implementing Dolby Vision support for handheld mode and TV mode for Nintendo, hypothetically speaking. (Same deal with Dolby Atmos support for iPhones and some Android smartphones (e.g. Xiaomi 14, Xiaomi 13, etc.).)

As I mentioned before, I think whether or not Nintendo wants to pay Dolby a licence fee to access Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support is more likely the reason for Nintendo not supporting Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos than for feature parity reasons.
First as a regular user of both, mobile Dolby Atmos and surround sound Dolby Atmos, they're pretty different experiences, I'm not sure I'd compare them like that. Then you have most consumers without Dolby Vision or or Atmos enabled sets - if implemented in handheld mode most consumers would end up with lower colour depth and less spacial audio in TV mode. It's impossible to slice it in a way that doesn't cause some kind of parity issue.

And again, of course cost is a major consideration, as it is with any feature.

Last edited:
Howdy fam we been down bad but as the time goes, this thing is getting closer to show up

This is the most likely scenarios we should consider now

Scenario A (20% chance):

• Switch 2 Mention/Trailer in May
  • Switch 1 Direct in June
  • Switch 2 Presentation in June
  • Switch 2 Release in Fall 2024

Scenario B (75% chance)

• Switch 2 Mention in Summer
  • Switch 2 Presentation in Fall/Winter
  • Switch 2 Release in Spring 2025
Scenario D for Doom (5% chance)

• Switch 1 Direct in September
  • Switch 1 Direct in February 2025
  • Switch 2 Reveal in Spring 2025
  • Switch 2 Presentation June 2025
  • Switch 2 Release in Fall 2025

May the force be with y'all

Howdy fam we been down bad but as the time goes, this thing is getting closer to show up

Scenario A (20% chance):

Scenario B (75% chance)

There is a more sinister 4th option........

Scenario A (20% chance):

Scenario B (75% chance)

I feel like 20% for option A is too optimistic :(

Scenario A (20% chance):

Scenario B (75% chance)

If we get a trailer in May, it means production is starting or has started by when they make a reveal

Scenario A (20% chance):

Scenario B (75% chance)

Here's what's gonna happen:
After the May 7th earnings release, they'll say "we are working on the successor to nintendo switch and will share information in the future" without saying anything else.
Then, at around May~June there will be a general direct for games releasing in the second half of 2024.
August and early September is nintendo live and at around mid-late September ~ October switch 2 will get a proper reveal.

Here's what's gonna happen:
After the May 7th earnings release, they'll say "we are working on the successor to nintendo switch and will share information in the future" without saying anything else.
Then, at around May~June there will be a general direct for games releasing in the second half of 2024.
August and early September is nintendo live and at around mid-late September ~ October switch 2 will get a proper reveal.
Yep.Typically, AGMs don't publicize any information about any details of next-gen consoles including codenames, which will more than likely be announced in the form of an official announcement like the NX, and I expect an official trailer in the fall.

i remember when the sentiment around here was "every day is one step closer to seeing switch 2!"

now it feels like every additional day is somehow two more days reversed.

i think this is also my first post in this thread for months. thank goodness i had my personal life to attend to! lol

What's the latest from supply chain data, have we noticed new something lately ?
In February data, we saw a newer CMB-CPU revision - now at X8. We also saw newer IWOH entries that month.

Other than that, more plastic housing pieces than one can shake a stick at.

Last edited:
At least I feel like expectations are tempered this time. Will the Switch be a portable series S? No. Will it be equivalent to a PS4? Very likely and I think that’s what most here are expecting
If its relationship with PS4 is close enough to be considered equivalent, probably so is its relationship with Series S.
I love how the discourse of the switch 2's power went from "It'll be between ps4 and xbox series S" to "barely reaching steam decks performance".
It's not really contrary. Steam Deck is better than PS4 in many of the same ways Switch 2 will be: newer GPU architecture, much better CPU, probably more RAM. It's also behind Series S in the biggest way Switch 2 will be: pure computational power. How closely exactly Switch 2's slower mode will compare to Steam Deck run by someone who doesn't care if battery life is 1 hour? Time will tell.

No, he is saying sec 8 same as Orin?. Nowhere does that say that was an assumption because of Orin. Like T239/ Dane wasn't an assumption, imo its probably was what he was told by sources.

You are right about me projecting his later statement as doubling down.
So I really want to put an end to this thread, should we block his messages on drake if he's been wrong multiple times?

yeah, 3:2 pulldown stinks. 48hz (or 96hz, or 144hz) modes are the best solution for film playback.
It honestly makes me wonder why 120 Hz didn't become the standard for HD TVs rather than 60. The 16:9 aspect ratio was standardized as a middle ground between the 4:3 used in SD TVs and the 2.35:1 used in movies. Both of them were at 24 fps, so why not use a clean multiple of 24?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom