• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Maybe it is something else. 2023 is not the main concern in my opinion. It is still targeting next year. My question is how they will market this new hardware when the gap is huge vs the OG.
To me "Switch 4k" = last part of the current line up of systems which plays select games at 4k but it will also start to get exclusives after a year and eventually be it's own thing.

I cannot (even considering it's Nintendo) imagine them getting off this Switch brand gravy train when it's currently doing the kind of numbers it is software and hardware wise. New hardware is 100% coming with Zelda though imo. No doubt in my mind.

To me "Switch 4k" = last part of the current line up of systems which plays select games at 4k but it will also start to get exclusives after a year and eventually be it's own thing.

I cannot (even considering it's Nintendo) imagine them getting off this Switch brand gravy train when it's currently doing the kind of numbers it is software and hardware wise. New hardware is 100% coming with Zelda though imo. No doubt in my mind.

Switch 4K but with a 720p screen.

This is a brand new next generation console in terms of hardware. Hoping a few people upgrade just to play ‘select’ titles in 4K on the TV would be a financial mess for them. This thing needs to sell a ton to be worthy of its existence.

Switch 4K but with a 720p screen.

This is a brand new next generation console in terms of hardware. Hoping a few people upgrade just to play ‘select’ titles in 4K on the TV would be a financial mess for them. This thing needs to sell a ton to be worthy of its existence.
SUPER Nintendo Switch:

A better Switch
And a next generation Switch.

"nintendo switch ultra" or "ultra nintendo switch" is the perfect name

great reference to the ultra 64 for hardcore fans, it's a fresh generic superlative, and it obliquely references ultra high definition

I’m not arguing bout the switch brand, but the marketing point ! The 4K potential name was one of my first bet as many have talked bout this name for months. I’m really curious on how they will do it 😉

I've said this before but why on earth are people expecting TotK to run at 1080p on the current Switch when the original (much less ambitious game) runs at an average of about 800p... I'd honestly expect it to run closer to 720p most of the time when docked.
I'm not expecting anything. Don't think a reconstructed 1080p is unthinkable after seeing how much Splatoon 3 improved after Splatoon 2 though.

Also your tone is kinda aggressive, not sure why I deserved that.

Tried out the next gen Fortnite graphics update over GeForce Now, and now I'm extremely hopeful that Drake can get upgrades like this. (especially with DBZ: Kakarot for me)
Hopefully they don't skimp out on storage speed.

Maybe it is something else. 2023 is not the main concern in my opinion. It is still targeting next year. My question is how they will market this new hardware when the gap is huge vs the OG.
The answer is to add a number next to it. It's tried and true. The concern is Nintendo being Nintendo

Super Nintendo Switch abbreviates to SNS which is Japan’s shorthand for “social media” (social network service) so I don’t think they’d go with that one to avoid confusion in Japan.

I don’t think they use “Ultra” either to avoid any possible use of the letter U (cursed)

My guess is “Nintendo Switch Generation 2” or “Nintendo Switch 2023 model” or something that is easily iterated on, because I think the Switch is gonna be their whole hardware business going forward.

It's going to be switch up. I will laugh so hard because my joke name became reality. Everyone will initially hate it and blame me.

The new gimmick is that you click the joy con's in from the bottom up instead and the new joy con's are identical to the old ones bar the rail being modified for the new gimmick, making everyone's accessories no longer compatible.

Logic might suggest that it's too late for a "Pro" and too early for a "2" but it doesn't matter.
Is it too early for a full-on successor? The earliest this thing could possibly launch is right around six years since the launch of the original. That's not too early for a successor system in Nintendo's book. The Wii U came out six years after the Wii, the 3DS came out six years and three months after the DS, and the Switch came out six years after the 3DS. I think they're probably going to play this a little differently, but not because it hasn't been enough time for a true successor.
My guess is “Nintendo Switch Generation 2” or “Nintendo Switch 2023 model” or something that is easily iterated on, because I think the Switch is gonna be their whole hardware business going forward.
This is about where I'm at. "Nintendo Switch Series 2" or something. They're not going to abandon the current Switch logo or branding.

Super Nintendo Switch abbreviates to SNS which is Japan’s shorthand for “social media” (social network service) so I don’t think they’d go with that one to avoid confusion in Japan.

I don’t think they use “Ultra” either to avoid any possible use of the letter U (cursed)
Official shorthand for Switch is NSW, so I don't think SNSW bothers them too much.

Official shorthand for Switch is NSW, so I don't think SNSW bothers them too much.
Is it? I’ve never seen “NSW” used in an official context, but maybe I just haven’t looked in the right places haha

I just think “New South Wales”

I also need to say, if Nintendo would decide to release Switch Next later than first half of next year, I rather want them to delay Zelda with it and still launch it with new hardware.
I'd rather wait longer to play it in 4K and they can give me Metroid Prime Full HD in the meantime.

Having said that, I still think a May release is perfectly possible.
i'd prefer this too but now they've given a firm date for Zelda this seems unlikely. no Nu 4k Switch with Zelda would mean new 3D Mario becomes the most likely candidate (holidays) or even Mario Kart X if delayed all the way to 2024? it makes the most sense to be coming with Zelda, timing wise.

Nintendo being Nintendo isn’t the problem.

The problem is people being Sony fanboys. Not even Microsoft goes for conventional sequel numbering conventions for consoles.

I’d say they call it Nintendo Switch 64…Advanced.
What kind of reason is this💀

No one actually believes this

The problem is people being Sony fanboys. Not even Microsoft goes for conventional sequel numbering conventions for consoles.
You could argue that might have hurt them.

They were afraid to be one number behind Sony, but imo they could have just skipped a number like they did with Windows 9. Xbox 360 should just have been the xbox 3.

Tried out the next gen Fortnite graphics update over GeForce Now, and now I'm extremely hopeful that Drake can get upgrades like this. (especially with DBZ: Kakarot for me)
Hopefully they don't skimp out on storage speed.
there are some interesting peculiarities with UE5's lumen settings and hardware/software ray tracing. software RT and high settings at 30fps, might be doable at 540p internally. but hardware RT has some extra features that can't scale down to software rt yet

I’d say they call it Nintendo Switch 64…Advanced.
How are Sony fans the problem for the next Switch’s name? Or did I not get the joke here :D

You could argue that might have hurt them.

They were afraid to be one number behind Sony, but imo they could have just skipped a number like they did with Windows 9. Xbox 360 should just have been the xbox 3.
I really don’t think Nintendo was caring about that.

There’s not really a guaranteed benefit of also naming something as a sequel btw. Imagine naming the GameCube the Nintendo 64-2

Or calling the Switch the Wii U-2, sometimes these carry baggage that isn’t really appreciated.

How are Sony fans the problem for the next Switch’s name? Or did I not get the joke here :D
something something boogeyman

To position the OLED as a premium model, Nintendo gave it a bigger, better screen and a bigger storage.

They are absolutely going to give the Switch 2 a bigger, better screen and a bigger storage.

I'm 100% sure of it

Edit: the average person knows what a 1080p screen is and you can market it to them. The average person knows what a larger storage is and you can market it to them

I really don’t think Nintendo was caring about that.

There’s not really a guaranteed benefit of also naming something as a sequel btw. Imagine naming the GameCube the Nintendo 64-2

Or calling the Switch the Wii U-2, sometimes these carry baggage that isn’t really appreciated.
You don't want to name yourself after a stinker, no. But I can imagine N64 and GameCube as "NES 3" and "NES 4" having a percentage more clout.

You don't want to name yourself after a stinker, no. But I can imagine N64 and GameCube as "NES 3" and "NES 4" having a percentage more clout.
That reminds me of Nintendo's brainstormed Wii names from the gigaleak:
leaked-wii-name-suggestions.jpg

I also need to say, if Nintendo would decide to release Switch Next later than first half of next year, I rather want them to delay Zelda with it and still launch it with new hardware.
Don't listen to this person Nintendo! Release ToTK like tomorrow!

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom