• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Or maybe heavy in the sense that the whole internet takes his words for gospel no matter if it was just a casual message or some speculation they go through it with a comb.

I can imagine everyone being slightly more cautious after the first rumors did not come to fruition.

Last edited:
yeahhh for now I'm gonna assume this got cancelled or significantly delayed

not saying that's sensible, but with these sorts of allusions to some heavy info that can't be shared yet I think I ought to put it completely out of mind

I feel this as well.

Could be looking at a new device in 2024 or later instead.

Begs the question if they’d even use the same chip at that point.

yeahhh for now I'm gonna assume this got cancelled or significantly delayed

not saying that's sensible, but with these sorts of allusions to some heavy info that can't be shared yet I think I ought to put it completely out of mind
I think so too.
We should have heard already something by supply chain and/or Mochizuki…

ExjCsVdU8AA6f7P.jpg

Cancelled
Nvidia and Nintendo went separate ways and Nvidia is continuing work on the chip for their own purposes
project rebooted
Nintendo's Switch 2 is still using Tegra X1 (LOL!)

Not to rag on Nate as he gets enough shit from people, but the podcast has kind of put itself in a position of having some insider stuff so people are hanging on their comments. Sitting on this info good/bad for this long is not great, because the eventual reveal, if negative would be devastating to several people in this thread i aimgine (imagine spculating for 12+ months on something that was cancelled long ago) instead of just letting people down easy.

I suspect the news is negative because of the care being taken to confirm it because he knows the reaction would be bad. But honestly, if it's bad news, people need to know.

I think so too.
We should have heard already something by supply chain and/or Mochizuki…
yep. it's december, nate says there's heavy news he doesn't want to break without confirmation

I think I personally really underestimated the impact the pandemic supply chain squeeze would have on a company as conservative as Nintendo. they absolutely will not lose money on a new system

the success of the switch might be impacting plans too, right? software attach rate is still incredible afaik

I'm sure there will be plenty of counterarguments for why it's entirely impossible for them to change direction so late in the process, and I'm sure those positions are better informed than my own. I just find the insinuation unnerving

How can it be cancelled if Drake had that Linux commit just a while ago? I don't understand the pessimism here.
Because emotionally we’re all boom and bust cycles here.

Also - it’s not absolutely impossible that Nintendo would pull out and Nvidia would see the value in the chip design. It’s not like that hasn’t happened before (clears throat in PlayStation)

But the timeline seems pretty insane if that did occur.

I really think some of you overreact to the slightest wording. I don't see someone talking about news and rumors saying "heavy" and assume they mean heavy like a funeral. More, this stuff is taken seriously and shouldn't be screwed up by being hasty.

I really think some of you overreact to the slightest wording. I don't see someone talking about news and rumors saying "heavy" and assume they mean heavy like a funeral. More, this stuff is taken seriously and shouldn't be screwed up by being hasty.
Or you know, “heavy” could mean “a lot” of info…
yeah, the interpretation of it being a bog scoop makes sense to me too. the fact that there's been absolutely no indication of what kind of news is being sat on, presumably by multiple people, makes me lean more towards the news being more negative

Nate a few months ago when he said that he was trying to verify the new information, he also added that everything previously said is still correct.

So I don't think the new info is negative (despite the fact that here you start with the periodic doomed), but it is big in content, possibly a matter of dates, event to show or even games.

Yeah, heavy info could be release window and launch lineup and possibly marketing approach as well and he would not want to comment on that before he is absolutely sure the date would be set in stone...

Calm down everyone :)

Nate a few months ago when he said that he was trying to verify the new information, he also added that everything previously said is still correct.

So I don't think the new info is negative (despite the fact that here you start with the periodic doomed), but it is big in content, possibly a matter of dates, event to show or even games.
ohhh shit you're right, and the new post says "As I said earlier this year"

okay I rescind my doom

That sounds negative.
How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

Nate isn't even talking about any single piece of info in general, all he's saying is that the subject is so toxic and major that any news has to be verified beyond any doubt.

Y'all need to relax

Relax. Calm down. Take a deep breath
I get that you're being facetious but when I start wildly speculating like this I'm never really panicked because this thing doesn't feel real to me regardless of the evidence, y'know

it's just a thing to guess about

"nintendo bailed because of economic downturn" sounds pretty damn realistic to me
not really? what's the alternative then? Nintendo commisioning a cheaper chip? that won't be out for another 2-3ish years and the economic situation might be different?

How can it be cancelled if Drake had that Linux commit just a while ago? I don't understand the pessimism here.
the linux commits just tell us the chip itself is still being worked on, not if it's being used for a nintendo system

not really? what's the alternative then? Nintendo commisioning a cheaper chip? that won't be out for another 2-3ish years and the economic situation might be different?
the alternative is the ten year nintendo switch dynasty

software keeps selling after all

I could see an update of ‘Nintendo decided this wouldn’t be a Pro and will instead be a true successor so pushed the date back to a later point when they want their next generation to start’. No majorly negative but disappointing for those wanting something H1 2023.

I think the crossplayification of the new console generation demonstrates that you don't have to wait to make a switch 2

no exclusives? who cares, it doesn't need them

I think I understand now why Nate does not contribute much to this thread. He can say the most mundane things and send so many of you people into a doom spiral.

Incredible really.

I think I understand now why Nate does not contribute much to this thread. He can say the most mundane things and send so many of you people into a doom spiral.

Incredible really.
considering any possibility other than exactly the same drum we've been beating since the oled announcement as the rest of the world grows to resent and laugh at us is not a doom spiral

Heavy could just be talking about the weight of expectations for any piece of new info.

I was going to add something about the way Nate answered a couple Pro questions in his podcast a couple weeks ago, but after typing it all out it just seems so silly now lol

considering any possibility other than exactly the same drum we've been beating since the oled announcement as the rest of the world grows to resent and laugh at us is not a doom spiral
Feels like one to me when people see negativity in extremely innocuous info.

there's no need for you to be so dismissive
I mean, what exactly is there to discuss about alternatives to the info we have so far? You can say anything else can/will happen, it's not exactly the most productive manner of speculation.

Could they have cancelled or postponed it? Sure. Do we have any reason to believe they did? No. Is it really all that interesting to discuss that possibility? IMO, no.

Because emotionally we’re all boom and bust cycles here.

Also - it’s not absolutely impossible that Nintendo would pull out and Nvidia would see the value in the chip design. It’s not like that hasn’t happened before (clears throat in PlayStation)

But the timeline seems pretty insane if that did occur.
Yeah. It would be a shame if in the unlikely event this happened.

the linux commits just tell us the chip itself is still being worked on, not if it's being used for a nintendo system
I see. I thought the chip was referenced with NVN2 so I assumed it was meant for Nintendo.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

Nate isn't even talking about any single piece of info in general, all he's saying is that the subject is so toxic and major that any news has to be verified beyond any doubt.

Y'all need to relax
"heavy" news is colloquial speech is never good. I understand the desire not to say anything until confirmed, but I can only work with what we have.
He could have said 'a lot of details to confirm' or 'what i've heard is pretty out there and needs confirmation' if it's not something particularly bad.

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words, and if Nate pops in and says that's the case, i'll rest easier. But until such time, 'heavy' sounds bad to me. That's the nature of speculation threads, we have to parse everything. it's a feature not a bug.

I mean, what exactly is there to discuss about alternatives to the info we have so far? You can say anything else can/will happen, it's not exactly the most productive manner of speculation.

Could they have cancelled or postponed it? Sure. Do we have any reason to believe they did? No. Is it really all that interesting to discuss that possibility? IMO, no.

If you’re setting your on heart on a h1 2023 release for this hardware, to the point you don’t want to discuss a possible later release, based purely on the sources of info we have so far then you’re potentially setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Honestly, I don’t think the noises, or lack of, are very good right now. When the main source of the info your hanging everything on says they don’t want to say anything right now because their info is heavy and they need to verify it further, I don’t think that’s the most positive language tbh.

I could be wrong of course and I hope that I am since I want this thing with Zelda in May and badly.

My perspective is that the closer we get without any new information the closer we are to it not happening. If it's coming in the first half of 2023 we should be hearing more about it by now. I'm not saying that means it can't be true, but my inclination is disbelief. Any nuance in phrasing interests me because it's all we have.

I could see an update of ‘Nintendo decided this wouldn’t be a Pro and will instead be a true successor so pushed the date back to a later point when they want their next generation to start’. No majorly negative but disappointing for those wanting something H1 2023.
Except there’s just no difference. Drake can be a pro or a true successor, it wouldn’t change the specs whatsoever.

Except there’s just no difference. Drake can be a pro or a true successor, it wouldn’t change the specs whatsoever.

Except there’s a difference between the way a pro or successor is marketed and timing is important in that regard. You can pretty much release a ‘pro’ whenever but when you’re going full blown successor, you want a great launch lineup and then you want to make sure there are games in the months that follow. Nintendo nailed that first 12 months with Switch but have missed badly in the past as well.

"heavy" news is colloquial speech is never good. I understand the desire not to say anything until confirmed, but I can only work with what we have.
He could have said 'a lot of details to confirm' or 'what i've heard is pretty out there and needs confirmation' if it's not something particularly bad.

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words, and if Nate pops in and says that's the case, i'll rest easier. But until such time, 'heavy' sounds bad to me. That's the nature of speculation threads, we have to parse everything. it's a feature not a bug.
Heavy means it carries a lot of weight, which is only negative in as much as it affects how negative the reaction can be if it turns out to be false. Nate has said many times that discussing this topic is difficult because people have such strong emotional reactions either way.
If you’re setting your on heart on a h1 2023 release for this hardware, to the point you don’t want to discuss a possible later release, based purely on the sources of info we have so far then you’re potentially setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Honestly, I don’t think the noises, or lack of, are very good right now. When the main source of the info your hanging everything on says they don’t want to say anything right now because their info is heavy and they need to verify it further, I don’t think that’s the most positive language tbh.

I could be wrong of course and I hope that I am since I want this thing with Zelda in May and badly.
I personally am not invested at all, I'm probably not going to get it any time soon anyway. I like to speculate on this based on the available evidence, and so far that says early 2023. If that changes then that changes. But so far nothing has suggested that it changed.

Nobody should have been expecting to hear any news about this until the new year, likely not until February even, assuming it's planned to be a May launch.
My perspective is that the closer we get without any new information the closer we are to it not happening. If it's coming in the first half of 2023 we should be hearing more about it by now. I'm not saying that means it can't be true, but my inclination is disbelief. Any nuance in phrasing interests me because it's all we have.
I don't buy this perspective. The closer we get with no news doesn't necessarily say anything either way especially when we're in the holiday season right now and getting that kind of info is much tougher when your sources (typically in the supply chain) are extremely busy trying to sell their existing products.

I think when Nate said Heavy he was referring to the console. Nintendo tried magnesium alloy but it was too expensive and not cool enough so they went with cast iron instead.

New gimmick is the switch also acts as a grill, launches with a new cooking mama game.

If TOTK launches in April and there is no new hardware in sight, I think I'm gonna emulate the game instead of playing it on the Switch. I really want to play this game in the best way possible and not on 2017 hardware.

All Pro related stuff I have needs a great deal of confirmation before I can even begin to consider reporting it. As said earlier this year, I need strong confirmation if I am to report/talk on what I have because the info is heavy.
Again, I commend you for doing your due diligence and not rushing to make any quick claims. It is greatly appreciated!

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom