• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Well since we are almost to the speculated launch of the new console, what games do you guys wanna see on it?
Just give me the console-like mobile games and I can delete stuff in my phone…. that said I don’t really own many games on my phone.

But I can see Free To Play games finding a unique home on the platform. Genshin Impact, CoD MOBILE, etc.

Where’s this idea about some bespoke DLSS that runs differently from the PC version even coming from
I believe Polygon mentioned it but it's come up several times. I'm sure the CNN is the same, but NVN2 inverts the usage model for DLSS, by integrating it into the API and the driver directly. There are potential performance optimizations there

I cannot wait for this thing to drop. I really hope it does come in March with a bump to Breath of the Wild. That’s two months to enjoy the first title again before launch of Tears.

I’m no longer optimistic about a launch before May, mostly because I’m tired. Spending a lot less time poking into this thread. I guess all it’ll take is a big leak to change that tho…

I don't think Nintendo needs a cross platform strategy as much as other manufacturers. Look at Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Early Switch games still selling strong at or near full price even now. Since they rarely price cut their games, they can release exclusives and and get paid as Switch owners move to the new platform and purchase those games. However, I don't think they'll just abandon Switch either. Nintendo will probably continue to release games for both platforms for a little while.
Personally, I think NES-SNES would kind of be the ideal. They sure didn't slow walk SNES, but also continued releasing things on NES for nearly 4 years. And NES sold a mere 62 million.

DLSS is software... it runs in game...
What would stop a developer from implementing it on drake?
I don't think Nintendo will get a Nintendo version of it.

DLSS is a packaged library, not available as source code outside of Nvidia's doors, so the only developer who can get it running on the new Switch model is Nvidia. And since they're doing that specifically for Nintendo, writing a version of the library that only needs to run on specific hardware, it's not at all far-fetched to speculate that they might optimize it in some way.

In one sense it already is a custom implementation. The hooks that NVN2 will use to interact with the DLSS library don't exist, and will never exist, in the public (such as it is) version of DLSS. And whereas DLSS on PC manages scratch memory and resources on behalf of the user, the NVN2 version requires resources to be managed by the application developer. Whether there will be significant changes to the rendering features themselves, I would guess not (and I don't believe there are developers out there being told they're getting a "customized power efficient version of DLSS" right now if that was supposed to be the rumor), but it's possible.

not all games benefit from DLSS. like games that are/mimic pixel art. motion vectors and temporal solutions muddy the pixel art.

also, a Drake version isn't crazy. when you have less hardware resources, making a variant that runs faster at the expense of quality makes sense. we've seen that FSR has a minimum level of hardware before there stops being gains and starts being regressions. it's worse with it, because FSR still has to run on shader cores

Although this is not explicitly related to Nintendo's new hardware, I think this could be an applicable problem for Nintendo's new hardware to at least some extent.

Although this is not explicitly related to Nintendo's new hardware, I think this could be an applicable problem for Nintendo's new hardware to at least some extent.

The reason phone storage isn't growing is because manufacturers aggressively cheap out on it in favor of cloud storage (and throw in an SD card slot if you're lucky). It's a problem caused willfully. Nintendo isn't really in the same boat, and to the extent they are, the SD slot is already there.

The reason phone storage isn't growing is because manufacturers aggressively cheap out on it in favor of cloud storage (and throw in an SD card slot if you're lucky). It's a problem caused willfully. Nintendo isn't really in the same boat, and to the extent they are, the SD slot is already there.

Yes and no, Nintendo probably won't offer more than 128GB for it's new model, and you will probably be forced to buy expandable storage yet again(which isn't a bad thing tbh). You're 100% right about phones though. Back in the day, it was bloody golden to get a 32GB phone for cheap and then throw in a huge memory card to store photos, etc. Now you're just buying cloud storage or stuck with inadequate internal storage

I really wonder how Nintendo is going to tackle storage. My gut says they aren't going to do anything about it and will just stick with micro SD cards full stop and that will be the limitation going forward. I wouldn't have an issue if they adopted UFS and had 256gb on board and just told us that we have to install games.

But I just don't see Nintendo having interest in complicating this. Games are so big, I cannot see any scenario where the amount of space required for the next generation of games is handled by a format they kickstart or an amount of onboard storage that is actually adequate (512GB basically)

What’s the probability of including both SD and UFS card reader and down the line phase out the SD card reader on a future revision?

Would be a good way to push people from SD to USF when prices fall down enough

Poor apple :cry:

Pour one out for Apple:
violin-tiny.gif

What’s the probability of including both SD and UFS card reader and down the line phase out the SD card reader on a future revision?

Sounds like a nice idea, but it also sounds like extra cost that Nintendo would gladly avoid.

Thought so. It’s going to be interesting to see what Nintendo does

Well, they're seemingly not cheaping out on the SoC, and hopefully aren't cheaping out on RAM and battery.

So, that kinda leaves storage as the only part to cheap out, and they're gonna cheap out on something.

Probability is probably 0. I can't even buy a UFS card from where I live and I looked around online stores. Also, I haven't had any devices that uses UFS.

Is there a possibility that Switch Drake will use XFMEXPRESS?

Very unlikely, considering there's currently no product that supports XFMEXPESS.

For a select few games, it's because of live service bloat (because developers don't remove assets in case they want to re-use them for another temporal event) and grossly unoptimized overall. It's also due to building packages on a general-purpose device; there is no asset compression acceleration, for one example, so everything is far less optimized on that end, as well, which you don't see with purpose-built consoles.
I really wonder how Nintendo is going to tackle storage. My gut says they aren't going to do anything about it and will just stick with micro SD cards full stop and that will be the limitation going forward. I wouldn't have an issue if they adopted UFS and had 256gb on board and just told us that we have to install games.

But I just don't see Nintendo having interest in complicating this. Games are so big, I cannot see any scenario where the amount of space required for the next generation of games is handled by a format they kickstart or an amount of onboard storage that is actually adequate (512GB basically)
UFS Card needs no kickstart; while not available at retail, it is in active use. And it's not like the gaming industry hasn't helped to kickstart formats; Blu-Ray and DVD come to mind first and most prominently. And this is also the industry known for the proprietary memory card, the only difference with UFS Cards is that they're not proprietary, Nintendo's just one of the only ones that would use them in a retail device if they pull the trigger on it. Not a Vita card situation, not even a PSP Memory Stick situation really.
Nintendo cannot react to recent market developments, in something they are about to launch in supposedly 6 months ish.
Well, it doesn't seem to be that recent. NAND storage prices have been declining since the summer and were projected to keep dropping even then, so there was enough lead-up here to make an informed decision.
switch cartridges use nand memories, so this can positively affect their price reduction.
They use ASIC ROMs.

For a select few games, it's because of live service bloat (because developers don't remove assets in case they want to re-use them for another temporal event) and grossly unoptimized overall. It's also due to building packages on a general-purpose device; there is no asset compression acceleration, for one example, so everything is far less optimized on that end, as well, which you don't see with purpose-built consoles.

UFS Card needs no kickstart; while not available at retail, it is in active use. And it's not like the gaming industry hasn't helped to kickstart formats; Blu-Ray and DVD come to mind first and most prominently. And this is also the industry known for the proprietary memory card, the only difference with UFS Cards is that they're not proprietary, Nintendo's just one of the only ones that would use them in a retail device if they pull the trigger on it. Not a Vita card situation, not even a PSP Memory Stick situation really.

Well, it doesn't seem to be that recent. NAND storage prices have been declining since the summer and were projected to keep dropping even then, so there was enough lead-up here to make an informed decision.

They use ASIC ROMs.

Switch uses nand XtraRoms, which are a type of nand memory made by Macronix, in some cartridges capacity

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/270216-nintendo-switch-cartridge-eprom-or-maskrom/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-cartridge-reverse-engineering.464580/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...0-64gb-nintendo-switch-carts-incoming.159673/

https://www.mxic.com.tw/CachePages/en-us-Product-ROM-default.aspx#128Mb

https://hackaday.com/2020/12/03/game-cartridges-and-the-technology-to-make-data-last-forever/

Last edited:
Is there a list of benefits of macronix's xtrarom over more conventional formats? Obviously there are as Nintendo chose them for a reason, but I'm curious if it's been spelled out somewhere

Is there a list of benefits of macronix's xtrarom over more conventional formats? Obviously there are as Nintendo chose them for a reason, but I'm curious if it's been spelled out somewhere
If i remember well, is more faster and has a longer lifetime than the conventional formats

I don't see how you can claim a format that doesn't even have cards available at retail doesn't need a kickstart.

Bluray and DVD were kickstarted by gaming but not by Nintendo. They have no history of pushing a format like this.

I don't agree with your framing at all.

I don't see how you can claim a format that doesn't even have cards available at retail doesn't need a kickstart.

Bluray and DVD were kickstarted by gaming but not by Nintendo. They have no history of pushing a format like this.

I don't agree with your framing at all.
I think it's because UFS is already very common albeit in a different packaging. repacking that into swappable cards is a pittance compared to spinning up a format that only exists on paper

Reminder that an SD card slot with the ability to also use UFS cards exist, they are an option. And they give the consumer an option.

Double reminder that Nintendo is a large enough company to create competition with these cards and reduce their price while also increase storage size.

Triple reminder, this wouldn’t be comparable to the PSVita scenario, which excluded everything but their proprietary memory cards that only worked on the vita. This is from the UFSA, an open trade association meant for adoption of UFS. It works for phones, cameras, laptops, etc. most importantly phones.

that said, Nintendo going for it is simply a coin toss.

I think it's because UFS is already very common albeit in a different packaging. repacking that into swappable cards is a pittance compared to spinning up a format that only exists on paper

I understand that the technology is common but companies have to create a want for the product by establishing its value or moving in tandom to supporting the technology in a different form factor. A UFS card that is only used by the Switch with no other devices supported may as well be a proprietary format.

I don't think this is designed for devices like the Switch. It's more aimed at ultra thin laptops where it can save space over M2 2230 SSDs. It hits 3,500MB/s which is great, but complete overkill, and power consumption is up to 4W, which is far too much for a device like the Switch.

Reminder that an SD card slot with the ability to also use UFS cards exist, they are an option. And they give the consumer an option.

Double reminder that Nintendo is a large enough company to create competition with these cards and reduce their price while also increase storage size.

Triple reminder, this wouldn’t be comparable to the PSVita scenario, which excluded everything but their proprietary memory cards that only worked on the vita. This is from the UFSA, an open trade association meant for adoption of UFS. It works for phones, cameras, laptops, etc. most importantly phones.

that said, Nintendo going for it is simply a coin toss.

I'd actually argue that if Nintendo were to use UFS cards (or SD Express or CFexpress or any other new format), they would probably be better off only supporting the new format, and not base SD cards*. Doing so would both ensure a minimum performance standard for all software, but would also create a much bigger market for the new standard, which would push wider availability and lower prices.

* Ok, if they went with SD Express it would be difficult not to support regular SD cards.

I understand that the technology is common but companies have to create a want for the product by establishing its value or moving in tandom to supporting the technology in a different form factor. A UFS card that is only used by the Switch with no other devices supported may as well be a proprietary format.

A proprietary format means that only Nintendo make and sell the cards and there is no market pressure to expand availability or lower prices. An open format like UFS, SD Express or CFexpress ensures that there is competition available to push prices down. There's a huge difference between those two things. With UFS in particular, the underlying technology is commoditised and widely manufactured, so cost of entry into UFS cards would be very low. Even if Nintendo only sell 10 million devices a year, which would be a huge drop from the original Switch, that's still more than enough to ensure proper competition.

Now, for launch, Nintendo would still need to work with a partner to ensure availability of cards, but they already partner with Sandisk for branded Switch microSD cards, so it's hardly a huge leap for them to work with Sandisk or another manufacturer on a different format.

wouldn't expect anything until after the holidays. everyone is focused on maximizing production for current hardware
All of them? It seems strange that nothing leaks out for a product ''planned'' for H1 2023.

Looks like even the fake insiders got tired of it 😅

I do wonder for the PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S games that run at ~30 fps if third party developers are going to focus on having the frame rate run at a stable (or close to stable) 30 fps, and with DLSS increasing visual fidelity to be as reasonably close to the PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S version, when porting PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S games running at ~30 fps to Nintendo's new hardware.

Games in the mobile space are getting larger because they are rapidly just becoming "games". But storage isn't getting denser at anything resembling the same rate, and if phone makers went all out on bleeding edge storage and fat phones, that would simply loosen the forces pushing mobile games to be smaller, and the problem would remain the same. The only saving grace that phones have are their screens - there is no point in pushing a bunch of 4k assets to a phone,

The market forces on the Nintendo side are very different. Nintendo has cartridges, which mean that if you're buying physical games, your effective "storage" scales with the number of purchases. Cartridges also get expensive as they get bigger, which pushes game devs to storage optimize their games, which is good, but cartridges are so small relative to the rest of the market, that Switch gets stripped down versions of games.

Right now, Switch gets stripped down versions of games anyway because of the SOC. Drake is about to shift that situation considerably. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I'm surprised that folks are surprised at 30fps games coming this generation. They'll keep coming until folks don't expect a generational leap in image quality.

I do wonder for the PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S games that run at ~30 fps if third party developers are going to focus on having the frame rate run at a stable (or close to stable) 30 fps, and with DLSS increasing visual fidelity to be as reasonably close to the PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S version, when porting PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S games running at ~30 fps to Nintendo's new hardware.
In the case of Plague Tale Requiem I actually imagine it's pretty possible to get close to Series S, depending on Drake clock speeds. Apparently if you tricky PTR into an unlocked frame rate, you hit higher frame rates pretty reliably inside of cities, it's the draw distance in the open areas that tanks the framerate. That says to me that it is GPU bound. On Series S it runs at 1080p30fps. We don't know Drake clocks yet, but DLSS performance mode is 2x scaling. It seems likely that 720p30fps version of PTR would run pretty comfortably on any version of Drake I can imagine, with room for DLSS to get you to 1080p

Open question of how it would look in handheld mode, however.

A proprietary format means that only Nintendo make and sell the cards and there is no market pressure to expand availability or lower prices. An open format like UFS, SD Express or CFexpress ensures that there is competition available to push prices down. There's a huge difference between those two things. With UFS in particular, the underlying technology is commoditised and widely manufactured, so cost of entry into UFS cards would be very low. Even if Nintendo only sell 10 million devices a year, which would be a huge drop from the original Switch, that's still more than enough to ensure proper competition.

I understand what proprietary means. I was not talking about the competition in terms of who could produce the cards and their cost. It's already well understood the UFS technology is expansive in use and anyone could enter the market with relatively cheap cards.

I was talking about the value to the customer in terms of the format's use in other products. My point was I do not see Nintendo kickstarting a format for general use. If the Switch is the only product using UFS cards, UFS cards don't have any value outside of being a memory card for the Switch and that does make it similar to the Vita memory cards in practice to the consumer. (Obviously the prices would be way cheaper though which is a major plus. I am not discounting that) The value to the end consumer is the only thing that actually matters here, not what the technicalities of open source formatting vs sole ownership. Consumers would be buying UFS cards as memory cards "for the Switch". Not as general storage. Until other products provide a reason anyway.

Now I recognize that if a major player like Nintendo committs to bank roll like 20 million UFS cards because of their product need, other adjacent products may see value and adopt the standard. I doubt that Nintendo would be the one to push for this.

Like the question to ask is if UFS is so cheap and easy to make competitive, why is there not card equivalent? Probably because the current micro sd format is sufficient for most applications and users. So then to push the standard there would have to be a tangible value to consumers.

Now, for launch, Nintendo would still need to work with a partner to ensure availability of cards, but they already partner with Sandisk for branded Switch microSD cards, so it's hardly a huge leap for them to work with Sandisk or another manufacturer on a different format.

The point of contention was never Nintendo being incapable so I mean yeah sure. Don't think this has ever been a real concern or even worth debating. Nintendo could easily push the technology and they would have a real case for its necessity in their product. But like would they? And if the application and the cost is trivial, why is this actually a discussion?

Last edited:
I really hope Nintendo decided to push UFS. It’s perfect for their needs for a compact, cheap, low power, and fast format.

Unfortunately, they are the only one with those needs. Cameras and phones don’t need fast expansion storages. And laptops haves much higher headroom on power limits and space.

I hope they considered that by not supporting UFS, it gives time for other more power hungry options like SDExpress to potentially become dominant that they need to accommodate for in future hardwares.

Last edited:
As someone who isn't familiar with the storage mediums people are discussing, my question would be:
Do any of the options offer the possibility of the low/no loading paradigm of the PS5 / XS|X? Because once you get used to that, it's hard to go back.

Storage was an issue for me on the PS4 / PS4 Pro (which is roughly the fidelity I expect the Drake to land at), and it's way, way more of an issue now on the XSX (and the Drake may end up getting ports of some of these games). I really hope Nintendo has paid a lot of attention to this, because with increased fidelity will inevitably come the increased texture sizes we see on the other consoles.

As someone who isn't familiar with the storage mediums people are discussing, my question would be:
Do any of the options offer the possibility of the low/no loading paradigm of the PS5 / XS|X? Because once you get used to that, it's hard to go back.

Storage was an issue for me on the PS4 / PS4 Pro (which is roughly the fidelity I expect the Drake to land at), and it's way, way more of an issue now on the XSX (and the Drake may end up getting ports of some of these games). I really hope Nintendo has paid a lot of attention to this, because with increased fidelity will inevitably come the increased texture sizes we see on the other consoles.
emmc can go faster than the current switch allows, so sticking with the same medium can still have a substantial improvement
ufs can get you up to sata ssd speeds (sequential reads) and is extremely prevalent thanks to high end and mid range phones
pcie-based solutions also exists, apple uses it for there phones last I checked. has the potential to go as fast as a pcie bus allows if you're not concerned with heat and power draw. but because games are a series of small files, there are probably ways around this, as apple has found

all of these also apply to external (SD cards = emmc, eUFS = ufs, m.2/SDexpress/CFexpress = pcie-based)

UFS 3.0/3.1 is relatively close to the Xbox Series X|S's internal NVMe SSD in terms of sequential read speeds. UFS 4.0 is faster than the Xbox Series X|S's internal NVMe SSD, but slower than the PlayStation 5's internal, custom NVMe SSD, in terms of sequential read speeds.

But considering Mark Cerny mentioned that third party developers asked Sony for a NVMe SSD with a sequential read speed of at least 1 GB/s for the PlayStation 5, I think UFS 2.1/2.2 at a minimum should be fine enough for Nintendo's new hardware.

Sequential read:
HDD - low 3 digits MB/s
eMMC - low-mid 3 digit MB/s
SATA SSD - mid 3 digit MB/s
eUFS 2 - high 3 digit MB/s, possibly hitting 1,000
eUFS 3 - theoretical max of 2,100 MB/s (realistically, probably average out to high 1,000's/just under 2,000?)
edit: theoretical max of 2,900 MB/s by spec. I pulled 2,100 from Samsung's own chart here
PCIe gen 3 - theoretical max of 3,500 MB/s
eUFS 4 - theoretical max of 4,200 MB/s
PCIe gen 4 - theoretical max of 7,000 MB/s
PCIe gen 5 - should be a doubling again? But current controllers are stuck at either 10,000 or 12,400

Random IOPS (Input/output Operations Per Second):
HDD - 2-3 digits
eMMC - high 4 digits/breaking into 5 digits
eUFS - climb their way up through 5 digits, 3.1 possibly hits 100k random read
SATA SSD - up to high 5 digits? (Crucial MX500 gets up to the 90k range)
PCIe gen 3 - mid 6 digits?
PCIe gen 4 - high 6 digits/breaking into 7 digits?
PCIe gen 5 - low 7 digits?

Last edited:
I went to the comment section of various sites (big mistake) and people are reacting like they went through the stages of grieve. Those ports are gonna be interesting to see.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom