• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I think we will see 2 sku " if it is a pro and can use old docks"
1) switch pro with dock $499
2) switch pro dock-less $399
I don't think they would put $100 worth of value on the dock alone. Maybe more like $399 without the dock or joycons.

Nintendo offered the dock at $99 at launch but I an not 100% sure about it
edit: maybe in Japan
I think it was $79 or $89 but standalone products are almost always priced higher than how much the company values them.

But either way yeah they could do the 2 sku thing easily enough.

Switch brand is very strong so a $450/$500 device with the promise of getting all mayor third party support will still be a very successful machine.
While the prospect of this is very exciting, we don't know how the ongoing push for acquisitions will affect the third party landscape. Nintendo could put together an amazing system and still not receive all the support because one or several major publishers that are currently independent are now owned by one of their direct competitors in the console space.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

I'm still not sure how to process the specs of this new system in the context of the economy and Nintendo's unwavering desire to make a significant amount of profit on each piece of hardware sold.

I mean we're now talking about a handheld system with:

• A custom Ampere GPU with 12 SMs, ~1500 CUDA cores, along with DLSS and RT
  • Octa-core CPU with A78 cores
  • OLED panel
  • 12 GB of RAM
  • Presumably some increase in I/O

I mean, yeah....that's a beast of a system. And it almost sounds too good to be true. And honestly, it does seem too good to be true when one considers the following:

• Inflation and the current state of the global economy.
  • Nintendo's stance on making a solid profit off of each console and not taking a loss or even breaking even.
  • Nintendo is still selling a Tegra X1 system for $350

So when one considers the specs of the system, along with the aforementioned points....we're looking at like a $500+ system here. I really can't see any way in which the above rumored specs with the current state of the economy come in cheaper than $500.

So one of two things seem to be true here - either the Nvidia leak was just some random prototype for testing purposes or internal use, which the next system is not based on. Or....the next Switch will be at least $500.
We haven't had an actual source saying the cpu is octacore? 4 or 6 cores is just as possible,

Sounds like 8nm samsung. But if that's the case, why use a 12 SMs model with low clockspeeds? It feels like a waste of silicon and money. Why not go with the highest Orion NX variant with lesser cores that can perform up to 2 TFLOPs instead, and can reach 25 watts max (doesn't include taking out unnecessarily a.i. stuff)? of course this is under the assumption it runs 2 TFLOPs max.

If they ran at the same clockspeeds as switch handheld and docked, docked would be more like 1.6 TFLOPs. Assuming 1000 cuda cores.

Again, just entertaining 8nm Samsung and how it doesn't make sense with 12 SMs.
I think better thermals, especially with Samsung's 8N process node not being exactly well known for being a power efficient process node.

Although not exactly comparable, that's Microsoft's approach with the Xbox Series X, with the Xbox Series X's GPU having 52 CUs running at 1.825 GHz, which is how Microsoft's probably able to have adequate cooling with thermal paste.

Sony on the other hand decided to have the PlayStation 5's GPU have 36 CUs running at 2.23 GHz, which required Sony to use liquid metal to enable adequate cooling. And Bloomberg mentioned that yields for the PlayStation 5's APU were as low as 50%, although yields were gradually improving, but not yet reaching a stable level. (Sony only denied the portion where Bloomberg said that Sony cut mass production numbers for the PlayStation 5 from 15 million to 11 million.)

We haven't had an actual source saying the cpu is octacore? 4 or 6 cores is just as possible,
Technically correct.

However, the lowest amount of CPU cores found on a Jetson Orin module is 6 Cortex-A78AE cores. (And Drake is known to be a custom variation of Orin [here and here].)

Although I don't really expect Nintendo to use the Cortex-A78AE, I don't think 4 Cortex-A78 cores is as likely as the hexa-core (6) configuration or the octa-core (8) configuration of the Cortex-A78C.

Just to clarify he didn’t say “not much stronger than PS4 even after DLSS” he said the specs were on par with a base PS4 but with DLSS making it like a PS4 Pro due to the iq improvements.

I’ve since clarified he meant in handheld mode. He says no one talks about docked mode until late in development due to them targeting handheld mode as the basis for the game to operate. They then do what they can with docked gpu clocks to either add details or pure pixels whatever they feel is the right balance.

DLSS is used for his project in handheld mode so I’m guessing they’re running the game at 480p native then using DLSS to get it to 720p then using the saved GPU bandwidth to crank visual settings, framerate or a mix of the two to within their battery life target.

“The Ninty graphics leap the industry has waited 20 years for” (or something close) so the GPU seems to be extremely potent which leads me to believe it’s got to be on a small node to achieve even 2017 launch Switch battery life.
Most of this matches what was being discussed behind the scenes last yr in terms of performance range and such.

I think I'm going to save xenoblade and bayo for next year, just in case.
It can work, I have a huge backlog and not so much time...

Just to clarify he didn’t say “not much stronger than PS4 even after DLSS” he said the specs were on par with a base PS4 but with DLSS making it like a PS4 Pro due to the iq improvements.

I’ve since clarified he meant in handheld mode. He says no one talks about docked mode until late in development due to them targeting handheld mode as the basis for the game to operate. They then do what they can with docked gpu clocks to either add details or pure pixels whatever they feel is the right balance.

DLSS is used for his project in handheld mode so I’m guessing they’re running the game at 480p native then using DLSS to get it to 720p then using the saved GPU bandwidth to crank visual settings, framerate or a mix of the two to within their battery life target.

“The Ninty graphics leap the industry has waited 20 years for” (or something close) so the GPU seems to be extremely potent which leads me to believe it’s got to be on a small node to achieve even 2017 launch Switch battery life.

Most of this matches what was being discussed behind the scenes last yr in terms of performance range and such.
So if Drake is around PS4 level before DLSS in portable mode, that would produce a clock speed around 500-600MHz to be equivalent for the size of GPU in the NVIDIA hack unless if drake somehow has a far better per-FLOP ratio versus the PS4 versus Desktop Ampere.

At that level of clock in portable mode, I say >1.3GHz is on the table for docked mode meaning WE IN SERIES S TERRITORY BEFORE DLSS BOYS!

So if Drake is around PS4 level before DLSS in portable mode, that would produce a clock speed around 500-600MHz to be equivalent for the size of GPU in the NVIDIA hack unless if drake somehow has a far better per-FLOP ratio versus the PS4 versus Desktop Ampere.

At that level of clock in portable mode, I say >1.3GHz is on the table for docked mode meaning WE IN SERIES S TERRITORY BEFORE DLSS BOYS!

I think it’s closer to Xbone level rather than PS4 level. Meaning that it’s around 1.2 Tflops maximum in undocked mode while above 1.8 Tflops in docked mode

All of this is rumor of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo were to go aggressive on the specs, because it makes sense and will help to secure their singular platform in the long run. Also, they can afford it. Having access to more AAA games day 1 will be great for the health of the platform.

Hmmmm.

I'm still not sure how to process the specs of this new system in the context of the economy and Nintendo's unwavering desire to make a significant amount of profit on each piece of hardware sold.

• OLED panel
  • 12 GB of RAM

I mean, yeah....that's a beast of a system. And it almost sounds too good to be true. And honestly, it does seem too good to be true when one considers the following:

• Nintendo's stance on making a solid profit off of each console and not taking a loss or even breaking even.

So when one considers the specs of the system, along with the aforementioned points....we're looking at like a $500+ system here. I really can't see any way in which the above rumored specs with the current state of the economy come in cheaper than $500.

So one of two things seem to be true here - either the Nvidia leak was just some random prototype for testing purposes or internal use, which the next system is not based on. Or....the next Switch will be at least $500.
well you have to remember all this was decided prior to the current economic state. all that might have been true at the time. but, I think that second point is why Nintendo systems are "inflation proof" to an extent. because Nintendo likes big profits on hardware, they can weather the storm in situations like this. if Drake was designed the same way, then a $400-$450 Drake system might be on the verge of a break even pricing, which allows them to not have to increase the price

So... are we talking about a PS4 level in undocked mode? Would it be like a PS4 Pro in docked mode? Why are you stating that we are in Series S territory? Because it's similar to a PS4 Pro in terms of power?

I think it’s closer to Xbone level rather than PS4 level. Meaning that it’s around 1.2 Tflops maximum in undocked mode while above 1.8 Tflops in docked mode
They both just said that it was PS4-Level before DLSS in portable mode.

That's not conducive of Xbox one level in portable mode, and Nate does have a good track record n info when he says stuff.

So... are we talking about a PS4 level in undocked mode? Would it be like a PS4 Pro in docked mode? Why are you stating that we are in Series S territory? Because it's similar to a PS4 Pro in terms of power?
Series S is less TFLOPs than PS4 Pro, but is better per-FLOP.

Drake at 1.3GHz would be around 4TFLOPs like the Series S, but may be less efficient per-FLOP, but in the ballpark still.

Drake at over 1.3Ghz could match or overtake the Series S in raw GPU power (Not accounting other bottlenecks)

Series S is less TFLOPs than PS4 Pro, but is better per-FLOP.

Drake at 1.3GHz would be around 4TFLOPs like the Series S, but may be less efficient per-FLOP, but in the ballpark still.

Drake at over 1.3Ghz could match or overtake the Series S in raw GPU power (Not accounting other bottlenecks)
That would huge! I mean a Nintendo console almost as powerful as the Series S... Can't imagine such power, but it would be a nice move to get more third parties in the next console.

Thank you for the explanation!

Both scenarios are positive for gamers
Depends on how high Nintendo sets the CPU and GPU frequencies in the scenario where Drake's fabricated using Samsung's 8N process node and Nintendo's aiming for 2.5 - 6.5 hours of battery life, I think.

But I do agree with you in the scenario where Drake's fabricated using TSMC's N6 process node or Samsung's 5LPE process node or more advanced, and Nintendo's aiming for 4.5 - 9 hours of battery life.

I think Nintendo's going to continue aiming for striking the right balance between performance and battery life for handheld mode.

Handheld PS4 is open to interpretation. It could mean what you think it means, or it could mean it can play 1080p PS4 level games at 720p. Meaning it's half or more as strong as a PS4 in raw specs in handheld.

So it's either as powerful as steam deck handheld (would need 6nm/5nm node or ballpark) or less than that at 8nm samsung... Me thinks 0.7-1.6TFLOPs in handheld, which is a huge range. Not counting architecture obviously. Docked would be 1.8-4.0 TFLOPs if it follows 2.5x the lowest undocked mode profile, which we don't know from polygons report. So that 4 TFLOPs might be the least possible.

Last edited:
i think Nintendo should Clock the Drake SOC very low to be in Xbox One TFLOPS Territory ... even then it will still be way Above Last Gen Consoles Level duo to much better CPU and that no need to render more than 480-540P before DLSS.

Hmmmm.

• OLED panel
  • 12 GB of RAM

I mean, yeah....that's a beast of a system.
Compare to the Steam Deck, whose base SKU is $400 dollars:
  • Custom RDNA 2 GPU with 8 CUs
  • Quad core/Octo thread Zen 2 CPU
  • 16 GB of RAM
Margins on the Steam Deck are tight, but Valve has a number of costs that Nintendo doesn't have
  • 64GB of base storage
    • Steam Deck is basically a digital only device, Nintendo is likely to be a little skimpy here
  • 40Wh Battery
    • This is bonkers, Nintendo ships a 15Wh battery, and most estimates here are treating the Switch!Next TDP to be in the same range as the OG Switch
  • Track pads, analog triggers, capacitive touch on sticks
    • Would love some Joy-Con updates but I don't think we can count on them
And Nintendo has access to some cost savings Valve doesn't
  • Plain economies of scale. Nintendo is gonna sell more of these things than Valve is, and can amortize SOC dev costs better
  • Cost optimized components - if Joy-Cons and Dock are shared with the base device, these are mature pieces of hardware that have already earned back their dev cost
  • Lower CPU clocks
    • Steam Deck needs those beefy clocks to run its enormous non-RT OS without cutting into game perf. Nintendo can afford to run slower here
  • Lower heat - Valve pays for PC compat and high clocks with a lot of heat and that awful fan
I suspect that there is enough savings here that Nintendo can get a device out in the $400 range that is sufficiently profitable.

And it almost sounds too good to be true. And honestly, it does seem too good to be true when one considers the following:

Nintendo's pricing on the base switch is about demand rather than supply costs. They resisted cuts previously, because demand was decent, and they kept demand high by not raising costs during inflation.

Nintendo won't price this new device out of the market, just to keep the price on the base model up.

So one of two things seem to be true here - either the Nvidia leak was just some random prototype for testing purposes or internal use, which the next system is not based on.
It definitely isn't the former. The NVN2 hack includes data about chips that were used for testing, existing hardware that Nvidia used to either assemble test kits or test the design on. It isn't guaranteed that it's the final hardware, but it would be a hell of a late game rethink if it wasn't close.

That's not conducive of Xbox one level in portable mode, and Nate does have a good track record n info when he says stuff.
One of the reasons I don't talk FLOPS and such is because I'm left at the mercy of interpretation via sources and how they relay the info, ultimately. Which means they can oversell/undersell or simply use general terms to convey a point. I wouldn't use the prior statement to extrapolate comparisons to other hardware or a meaningful range in terms of performance potential.

One of the reasons I don't talk FLOPS and such is because I'm left at the mercy of interpretation via sources and how they relay the info, ultimately. Which means they can oversell/undersell or simply use general terms to convey a point. I wouldn't use the prior statement to extrapolate comparisons to other hardware or a meaningful range in terms of performance potential.

True but as Droopy said , I’m happy 😉

I think a lot of people are taking a developer's comment about broad level performance as a definitive, specific power level. This will be a different device having wildly different CPU and GPU architectures and its games will have a wide variety of performance levels which will all compare differently to other consoles in portable and docked mode.

Handheld PS4 is open to interpretation. It could mean what you think it means, or it could mean it can play 1080p PS4 level games at 720p. Meaning it's half or more as strong as a PS4 in raw specs in handheld.

So it's either as powerful as steam deck handheld (would need 6nm/5nm node or ballpark) or less than that at 8nm samsung... Me thinks 0.7-1.6TFLOPs in handheld, which is a huge range. Not counting architecture obviously. Docked would be 1.8-4.0 TFLOPs if it follows 2.5x the lowest undocked mode profile, which we don't know from polygons report. So that 4 TFLOPs might be the least possible.

Steam Deck isn’t really at PS4 levels when played on 1080p instead of 720-800p despite having a beefy GPU and CPU. I’m guessing it’s the bandwidth that is the limiting factor.

i think Nintendo should Clock the Drake SOC very low to be in Xbox One TFLOPS Territory ... even then it will still be way Above Last Gen Consoles Level duo to much better CPU and that no need to render more than 480-540P before DLSS.

i think it all comes down to bandwidth. Drake may very well be able to do PS4+ graphics at 720p. But if it has less bandwidth than Xbone which has 68GB/s then it will be around that

I think a lot of people are taking a developer's comment about broad level performance as a definitive, specific power level. This will be a different device having wildly different CPU and GPU architectures and its games will have a wide variety of performance levels which will all compare differently to other consoles in portable and docked mode.

Yeah but people want DBZ power levels 🤷‍♂️

No hardware this fiscal year because the new hardware will kickstart the next fiscal year alongside Zelda.
It has been my opinion for a while and I stick with it.
I expect an April launch.
If it was ever planned for 2022, I doubt it's slipped beyond March.

Steam Deck isn’t really at PS4 levels when played on 1080p instead of 720-800p despite having a beefy GPU and CPU. I’m guessing it’s the bandwidth that is the limiting factor.

i think it all comes down to bandwidth. Drake may very well be able to do PS4+ graphics at 720p. But if it has less bandwidth than Xbone which has 68GB/s then it will be around that
Nvidia Leaks show a Ram Speed for the Drake at 128Bit 102GB/s so the bandwidth should be much better than Xbone or PS4 , let alone Big GPU Cache that will play a Big part to help system Bandwidth

Nvidia Leaks show a Ram Speed for the Drake at 128Bit 102GB/s so the bandwidth should be much better than Xbone or PS4 , let alone Big GPU Cache that will play a Big part to help system Bandwidth
Even despite the alleged validity of that, we can likely expect Steam Deck level bandwidth at the lowest which is 88GB/s

We have to remember, the XBO used DDR3 with a sliver of eSRAM to speed things up....

LPDDR5 on it's own is faster than the DDR3 there, and with the far more sophisticated caching algorithms/cache management on both CPU and GPU in modern processors (Even in the TX1 you can see a bit of that advancement with how it can even put up sort of a fight against the XBO if given enough clock), Effective Bandwidth is likely well beyond the XBO's effective bandwidth.

The question is how close to the 176GB/s of the PS4's GDDR5 or the 217GB/s of the PS4 Pro can Drake's effective Bandwidth hit.

I erm uh..why does Goku have heart disease? :[
In one timeline Goku dies from a heart disease around the time that the androids (17 and 18) show up. This led to the future where Gohan and Trunks and the only ones that can fight off the evil androids. Gohan dies but trunks eventually eliminates them and their awful timeline returns to a more normal one.

In another, Trunks goes back in time, kills frieza, and warns Goku of a heart disease he will get in a few years that would end up killing him. He gets a medicine for his medication (that he forgot to take) and ends up getting sick but because they had the medicine he doesn’t die in this time line, the androids aren’t evil really here like in the other timeline but a 4th android (CELL) appears which is truly evil. So, in this one none of the DB fighters die (sorta) and they’ll fend off Cell and 17+18 live normal lives among the other DB fighters.

Goku dies anyway though…. lol, but that was a sacrifice.

Gets revived but that’s beyond the scope here….

Unless I’m mixing it with a different heart thing…

There's always a possibility that Micron's LPDDR5 catalog isn't 100% up to date if Samsung's LPDDR5 catalog, SK Hynix's LPDDR5 catalog, and Intel's LPDDR5 validation results are anything to go by.

In fact, the only LPDDR5 module in Samsung's catalog has a density of 48 Gb (6 GB), but with the max I/O rate capped at 5500 MT/s.
Ooh, SK Hynix also offers 6 GB 64-bit at the full 6400 MT/s. Although it's interesting that Micron's 6 GB 64-bit isn't there despite being in production.

Has Intel published validation results for LPDDR5X yet? I'm curious about the potential sources for Grace, which according to the dev blog post during Hot Chips should be shipping in first half of next year using full speed LPDDR5X. At a really high density too; max capacity of 512 GB with a max bandwidth of 546 GB/s implying 512-bit bus width suggests a full gigabyte (or, 8 gigabit) per bit of bus width?

Even despite the alleged validity of that, we can likely expect Steam Deck level bandwidth at the lowest which is 88GB/s

We have to remember, the XBO used DDR3 with a sliver of eSRAM to speed things up....

LPDDR5 on it's own is faster than the DDR3 there, and with the far more sophisticated caching algorithms/cache management on both CPU and GPU in modern processors (Even in the TX1 you can see a bit of that advancement with how it can even put up sort of a fight against the XBO if given enough clock), Effective Bandwidth is likely well beyond the XBO's effective bandwidth.

The question is how close to the 176GB/s of the PS4's GDDR5 or the 217GB/s of the PS4 Pro can Drake's effective Bandwidth hit.
i would like to ask you your own question , since i think you are far more experienced than me in Hardware and how to compare the numbers between different architectures and generations especially old designs like PS4 GDDR5 and the Newer LPDDR5 which should be used by Drake . considering the Difference in Cache size and system and how that might compensate for the Bandwidth limitations of LPDDR5.

"The question is how close to the 176GB/s of the PS4's GDDR5 or the 217GB/s of the PS4 Pro can Drake's effective Bandwidth hit"

it was shocking to know that 6 years ago (sometimes in 2016) a big company like Capcom didn't have Switch Dev Kit at a time ... that means Nintendo start shipping Dev Kits for Switch almost 1 year before releasing the console ?? that was too late , i don't know about other consoles but we know from Bloomberg report that some 3rd party have the new Nintendo System Dev Kit from more than 2 years .. i guess that means the Drake should have much better 3rd party support the 1st few years compared to the current switch .

it was shocking to know that 6 years ago (sometimes in 2016) a big company like Capcom didn't have Switch Dev Kit at a time ... that means Nintendo start shipping Dev Kits for Switch almost 1 year before releasing the console ?? that was too late , i don't know about other consoles but we know from Bloomberg report that some 3rd party have the new Nintendo System Dev Kit from more than 2 years .. i guess that means the Drake should have much better 3rd party support the 1st few years compared to the current switch .
I believe the "main" start date for NX devkits was in the last few months of 2015, possibly October 2015.* Monster Hunter Generations was released for 3DS in November of that year. So even if the Monster Hunter team specifically didn't get one until later, they were certainly out there, and Capcom and other bigger developers surely would have had them.

Still, according to current reporting, Drake devkits were indeed sent out early -- not just compared to Switch/NX, but all consoles in general, really.

* There was a report in October 2015 that devkit distribution had begun, and at least one SDK document has October 30 2015 listed as the date for its initial revision.

i would like to ask you your own question , since i think you are far more experienced than me in Hardware and how to compare the numbers between different architectures and generations especially old designs like PS4 GDDR5 and the Newer LPDDR5 which should be used by Drake . considering the Difference in Cache size and system and how that might compensate for the Bandwidth limitations of LPDDR5.

"The question is how close to the 176GB/s of the PS4's GDDR5 or the 217GB/s of the PS4 Pro can Drake's effective Bandwidth hit"
I don't think anyone here can really answer this with certainty, unless they have some reliable inside info they haven't shared yet. Only way we will know for sure is if we hear from devs themselves. We'll also a better understanding when when we get several bandwidth heavy ports that go head to head with PS4. If we match the same resolution, performance and effects, its then we can say it's enough.

That being said, I don't think we have too much to worry about. I personally think it will be enough. I can't prove it with hard data. But the Switch did surprisingly well vs xbone in some games, and with only 25.6 GB/s. Nvidia's newer architecture and tile based rendering helped with the resolution.

Now Drake should have 4x as much bandwidth and a lot more cache for the CPU. I just don't know how much more the cache will help. 2x as much L1, 1mb more L2 and L3 cache that TX1 dienst have. Also 2-3x as much RAM. DLSS and improved architecture on ampere should help too with bandwidth efficiency as well.

Ooh, SK Hynix also offers 6 GB 64-bit at the full 6400 MT/s.
I only see SK Hynix having 4 GB (32 Gb) or 8 GB (64 Gb) of 64-bit LPPDR5-6400 modules based on Intel's LPDDR5 validation results.
Has Intel published validation results for LPDDR5X yet?
No. Based on the revision history for Intel's LPDDR5 validation results, Intel probably won't release validation results for LPDDR5X until Raptor Lake and/or Meteor Lake are formally released, assuming what VideoCardz and Igor's Lab leaked are legit.

I am just so totally hyped for that first Nintendo developed Drake (exclusive?) title that really shows off what this system, paired with Nintendo's amazing art styles, can deliver.

I would like some thoughts from all the video-game-tech-informed-peeps here on just how much better a title developed as exclusive to this hardware will appear vs cross gen releases? Big leap? Small leap? It depends?

I do doubt we'll get Nintendo Switch 2 exclusives for a couple years.

I only see SK Hynix having 4 GB (32 Gb) or 8 GB (64 Gb) of 64-bit LPPDR5-6400 modules based on Intel's LPDDR5 validation results.

No. Based on the revision history for Intel's LPDDR5 validation results, Intel probably won't release validation results for LPDDR5X until Raptor Lake and/or Meteor Lake are formally released, assuming what VideoCardz and Igor's Lab leaked are legit.
Whoops, bad shortcutting on my part.
I saw the 3 GB 32-bit module, which could add up to 12 GB 128-bit, then internally I went backwards and... rewired that into 6 GB 64-bit?
So none of the 64-bit modules that Intel has validated land exactly at 12 GB 128-bit.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom