• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Looks like the old switch models aint going anywhere

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-president-no-plans-to-focus-resources-only-on-switch-oled/

“We have no plans to focus our supply resources only on the OLED model. The three models each cater to different needs of customers. Sales of the original Switch as well as the Lite model remain firm even after the OLED model’s release.”

Also this doesn't sound good
“We can’t produce enough to meet the demand we are expecting during the upcoming holiday season. Currently there is no sign of improvement and the situation continues to be severe so I can’t say how long it will continue.”

it's less how much but the ratio. nintendo makes more from hardware and physical, but only by .25B. whereas that's 73% of Nintendo's revenue, while it's 29% of the revenue.

quite frankly, Nintendo needs to grow the other segments, like digital and IP licensing
I agree about digital. But I'd argue that Nintendo's making strides in terms of IP licencing, with the Nintendo themed areas at various Universal Studios locations, the upcoming Super Mario Bros film from Illumination, the rumoured Donkey Kong film featuring Seth Rogan, Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp from WayForward, etc.

Both of those charts are revenue though, not profit. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
I originally thought profit and revenue are similar enough to be used interchangeably. But I was wrong, so thank you for informing me.

I agree about digital. But I'd argue that Nintendo's making strides in terms of IP licencing, with the Nintendo themed areas at various Universal Studios locations, the upcoming Super Mario Bros film from Illumination, the rumoured Donkey Kong film featuring Seth Rogan, Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp from WayForward, etc.
GiantFreakingRobot is a dubious source, and Advance Wars isn't a licensed product, but yes they're making strides, but I still feel like they're slow on that front. maybe it's because they're missing something like the Mario movie right now

Looks like the old switch models aint going anywhere
Just like they had no plans to release a new model in February 2021. You can bet they will deny the v2 discontinuation until it's already discontinued, like they did with the Wii U.

Now if they will do it next week, next year or next decade is anyone guess. My guess still is as soon as they can shift v2 production to oled without a big drop in how many system they can manufacture in total.

everything's getting DLSS these days. even games that "don't need it". would be good for eventual low end (and obtainable) hardware

More information about Nano Next?

probably Jetson Orin

Jetson_modules-Commercial_roadmap-202102.png

Nintendo hinting at their next system in one of the ir slides

image.png
If the DLSS model* is the "Next gaming system", I wonder if it will still be part of the Nintendo Switch family of systems, or completely separate from the Nintendo Switch (similar to how the SNES is completely separate from the NES)?

probably Jetson Orin

Jetson_modules-Commercial_roadmap-202102.png
Yeah, NVIDIA turns around Jetson boards pretty much on the announcement to release.

and Nano Next is in 2023, so that doesn't fit.

So if it is Jeston Orin, questions are.
  • Is it based on Big Orin or Orin S/Is what Orin S became?
  • Will they swap the A78Es out with A78Cs for this as it's a general-purpose Devkit, so the Auto-intended A78E's would weaken the product outside of automotive tasks.
  • How much RAM will they affix to the thing
  • How in detail will they go on the GPU uArch for it (as this may actually be our best shot at getting details on "The Robust Caching Solution" and "Lovelace Features" that NVIDIA (The former) and Kopite (The latter) have talked about for Orin.

Yeah, NVIDIA turns around Jetson boards pretty much on the announcement to release.

and Nano Next is in 2023, so that doesn't fit.

So if it is Jeston Orin, questions are.
  • Is it based on Big Orin or Orin S/Is what Orin S became?
  • Will they swap the A78Es out with A78Cs for this as it's a general-purpose Devkit, so the Auto-intended A78E's would weaken the product outside of automotive tasks.
  • How much RAM will they affix to the thing
  • How in detail will they go on the GPU uArch for it (as this may actually be our best shot at getting details on "The Robust Caching Solution" and "Lovelace Features" that NVIDIA (The former) and Kopite (The latter) have talked about for Orin.
This is purely my speculation.
  1. Probably the former.
  2. That's certainly possible.
  3. Probably the same amount of RAM that the DLSS model* has at the maximum.
  4. I don't believe Nvidia talked about the GPU architectures for Nvidia's Arm based SoCs in detail during past GTC events, so I don't really expect Nvidia to talk about the GPU architecture for Jetson Orin in detail for GTC 2021 (November 2021). But saying that, I do think there's a possibility Nvidia could be saving those details for Hot Chips 34 in August 2022.

This is purely my speculation.
  1. Probably the former.
  2. That's certainly possible.
  3. Probably the same amount of RAM that the DLSS model* has at the maximum.
  4. I don't believe Nvidia talked about the GPU architectures for Nvidia's Arm based SoCs in detail during past GTC events, so I don't really expect Nvidia to talk about the GPU architecture for Jetson Orin in detail for GTC 2021 (November 2021). But saying that, I do think there's a possibility Nvidia could be saving those details for Hot Chips 34 in August 2022.
Ehh, with the quick turnaround for Jetson boards from announcing, we can expect this thing to come out anywhere from December to January, waiting until August for them to go into detail on the thing's GPU uArch is a bit of a long time which by then people would've already likely figured it out by looking at it in the interim.

If the DLSS model* is the "Next gaming system", I wonder if it will still be part of the Nintendo Switch family of systems, or completely separate from the Nintendo Switch (similar to how the SNES is completely separate from the NES)?
At this point, considering the hardware will likely be quite similar to what already existed superficially (though I except what I assume will be minor tweaks), the only way to determine what it'll be (until Nintendo posts sales from it separately or not on their earnings releases, at least) will be a combination of how much more powerful the SoC is going to be and how software support pans out. And we have a vague idea of the answer to the first piece of that puzzle.
The moment we see an exclusive game from Nintendo in its launch window for a piece of Orin-powered hardware with a 10-20W TDP, I'd figure that will seal the deal on how Nintendo views it. It'll probably still have "Switch" in the name somewhere, but that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things (see: DS to 3DS, Famicom to Super Famicom, Game Boy to GBA)
Poor Wii U 😂
Poor 3DS.
If I were Nintendo, I'd want to largely forget they existed, too. Heck, this was part of a shareholder presentation, they definitely want to forget those existed.
To Nintendo, Wii U's best feature was that it was a lucrative corpse to pillage for "Deluxe" re-releases on better-selling hardware. Sorry, should have used Nintendo's terminology for that: "absorb Wii U's architecture". It's harsh, but it's true.
The 4K Switch model will probably end up being 25-30% of total Switch sales. Like the ps4 pro was.
The only verifiable info we have shows PS4 Pro represented just under 20% of PS4s sold, with 40% of those buyers being upgraders. And this is their consumer base conditioned to care about the "newest and greatest" in flashy audio-visual experiences from them.
But Nintendo.... well, for the past 15 years or so, they've been conditioning their consumer base in the opposite direction. So "same games but in 4K" has to answer the question of "if I can already play Nintendo's games anyways with a regular Switch, why would I bother with flashier Nintendo hardware instead of a PS5 or Series X to compliment my Switch?" And I can't help but think the answer is "I shouldn't", especially if you price a "4K enhancement" at nearly the same price as a PS5 or Series X.
I meant to point it out when it happens. It ludicrous anyone read it any other way. Like you earlier wanting to bet on what hasn’t happened yet. lol
And yet 3 different people did. Maybe more. Hmm.
I never said Nintendo doesn’t care about 3rd-party relations. And I don’t see where I used any strawmen, tbh. I also don’t see what’s “bad faith” in how I’m arguing. It might be abrasive how strongly I put forth my opinions, I’ll give you that, but I’m speculating just like everyone else here. I try to argue against something pretty directly.
Here's your words about 3rd-party relations when discussing this same subject in another thread:
For the Xbox and PlayStation this is true. Not Nintendo. Over 80% of their revenue is from 1st party sales. The opposite is true for Xbox and PlayStation
(for context, this was in response to my statement that the bulk of industry money made by platform holders is 3rd-party royalties and that Nintendo would absolutely want to capitalize on that revenue stream as effectively as they are able... which the last 3 presidents of the company have said they want to)
Getting the level of 3rd party support and sales that the Xbox/PlayStation have absolutely means less 1st party sales for Nintendo. Absolutely it does.

Nintendo wants the ratio it is.

This is a lot of the reason why Nintendo never really bothers to do anything to facilitate more AAA 3rd party support
. They won’t change their hardware to facilitate that like Sony did/does. They won’t change the type of 1st party they output to facilitate that like Sony did/does.
So let's be clear...
You said that Nintendo doesn't need to concern itself about 3rd-party royalties and isn't leaving money on the table by not trying to sell more 3rd-party software, even when they did on their prior successful hardware and probably have been on Switch, wanting that to continue and grow.
You said that Nintendo wants to keep the 4-to-1 1st party to 3rd party game sales ratio from the Wii U days. That is demonstrably false.
You said that more 3rd-party game sales means less 1st-party software sales for Nintendo, to suggest a zero-sum scenario with Nintendo in opposition with other game makers for.... some reason? Instead of seeing it as a positive-sum scenario, you prefer to see Nintendo as antagonistic to 3rd-party success on their platform.
You said that Nintendo doesn't bother to do anything to facilitate more 3rd-party support. Though I agree that Nintendo will likely never go to the exact same lengths as Sony or Microsoft will, that doesn't mean they should stop bothering to try to be even remotely more accommodative and, well, they clearly do take 3rd-party suggestion on the matter of their own hardware.
And then there's what you just said in this very thread:
(They don’t really care how it helps 3rd party porting, that’s just a nice by-product)
More to the point, though, these positions you clearly have taken are antithetical to good 3rd-party relations. You can't claim to believe Nintendo cares about 3rd-party relations while thinking these things.

And lastly, here's the strawman you made:
Hate to break it to you…but the next system released by Nintendo after OLED Switch? Is another Switch hybrid. It will look exactly like the OLED, it will use the exact same dock, it will use the exact same peripherals, it will play the exact same games, it will use the exact same carts
No one, especially not myself, was saying this. We're all in near-100% agreement that the next hardware is another hybrid that will be dramatically similar to current hardware in a vast number of ways, right down to game card and peripheral backward compatibility, but here you were, refuting an argument that no one had made.
That's a textbook example of a strawman.

So yeah.... kinda hard to not take ALL that and not come to the conclusion that you're engaging in the discussion in bad faith. And I don't engage in discussions with people like that. Reply if you like, but just know I won't be reading it.

Last edited:
Closer to zero. If anything, Jetson Nano will be closer to Dane. But if you mean architecture-wise, they'll be the same
Ehhhh

We still have Orin S unaccounted for.

And even then if Jetson Orin is derived from the full Orin Die, someone could still just take it and software cut the core counts and clock speeds to "Emulate" where Dane would be.

And even then if Jetson Orin is derived from the full Orin Die, someone could still just take it and software cut the core counts and clock speeds to "Emulate" where Dane would be.
Almost everyone who's planning on buying Jetson Orin is probably not going to do that.

Furukawa’s recent comment definitely aligns with my guess on how Switch 4k will be treated, which is to say like the Game Boy Color.

If the next Switch successor is theorized to be in early planning stages, would that give more credence to the fact they may use Nvidia's nextgen chip* that's expected for 2024-2025?

*Forgive me I can't recall the specific name (I'm not even sure which is Dane/Jetson/Orin); I can barely keep up with the advanced technical talk and don't want to detract from those more knowledgeable than I. I just lurk mostly for the discussions I can understand 😅

If the next Switch successor is theorized to be in early planning stages, would that give more credence to the fact they may use Nvidia's nextgen chip* that's expected for 2024-2025?

*Forgive me I can't recall the specific name (I'm not even sure which is Dane/Jetson/Orin); I can barely keep up with the advanced technical talk and don't want to detract from those more knowledgeable than I. I just lurk mostly for the discussions I can understand 😅
Dane is expected next year... are you talking after that?

Dane is expected next year... are you talking after that?
Yes, the big one after Dane. At one point I think the discussion revolved around what the next SoC evolution would be. The current chip that Switch uses is Tegra, right? And someone else mentioned that the chip after Tegra if Switch wanted to use it in a next gen device wouldn't release until 2024/2025. I'm not sure if that's what Orin is supposed to be, or even where Jetson fits into the whole discussion, I just read a lot of these names and I think I get them mixed up in my head too easy.

Yeah, but I assume someone here in this forum, ResetERA, the Discord Server, or one of the leakers/YouTubers covering it could.
I don't know if the YouTubers covering rumours about the DLSS model* have the hardware and/or software knowledge to manually configure the CPU and GPU frequencies of Jetson Orin to roughly emulate the theoretical performance of Dane. And almost everyone who participated in the thread at ResetEra migrated to FamiBoards and/or the Nintendo Pipeline Discord. So it's possible one of the more knowledgeable people at FamiBoard and/or the Nintendo Pipeline Discord could try to manually configure the CPU and GPU frequencies of Jetson Orin to roughly emulate the theoretical performance of Dane. But I think Jetson Orin's MSRP's probably going to be $999.99 at the minimum, which I believe is similar to the MSRP of Jetson AGX Xavier; and I don't think anyone's going to pay ~$1000 for Jetson Orin only to manually configure the CPU and GPU frequencies of Jetson Orin to roughly emulate the theoretical performance of Dane. I don't think every detail about Dane and/or Orin is going to revealed, at least not through software, until someone plans on doing a die shot of Jetson Orin.

It's certainly possible. But I think it depends on Nintendo's plans for 2024-2025. Nintendo might plan on releasing a refresh of the DLSS model* running on a die shrink of Dane on 2024-2025.

Dane is the rumoured codename for the DLSS model*'s SoC. Orin is Nvidia's upcoming Arm based automotive SoC. (And Dane's rumoured to be a custom variation of Orin.) And Jetson is the name for a series of Nvidia's embedded Arm based SoCs used for automation, machine learning, robotics, etc. (And Atlan is the name of Nvidia's Arm based automotive SoC planned for release at 2025.)

I believe you're thinking of Atlan.

Atlan is certainly currently the prime candidate for what the next non-die shrink SoC Nintendo will use after Dane will be based on, but it's hard to project out that far in general.

Yes, the big one after Dane. At one point I think the discussion revolved around what the next SoC evolution would be. The current chip that Switch uses is Tegra, right? And someone else mentioned that the chip after Tegra if Switch wanted to use it in a next gen device wouldn't release until 2024/2025. I'm not sure if that's what Orin is supposed to be, or even where Jetson fits into the whole discussion, I just read a lot of these names and I think I get them mixed up in my head too easy.
Tegra is the name of the product line for SoCs. Orin and Jetson products were tegras, but the Tegra name is probably dead now. Orin is a family of SoCs that will span automotive to Jetson boards (which are like Raspberry Pis) to handheld devices (hypothetically tablets, gaming devices, etc)

Thanks all, really appreciate the clarifications! I think it was Atlan I was thinking of as a confirmed Switch 2, but then as @Pokemaniac said it's hard to predict what will happen in four years time.

So, Tegra is like the family last name of chips, of which Orin is a part of, right? Dane is mostly Orin with some minor changes, and likely what the next Switch revision would be in 2022/2023. Jetson is similar in that regard in that it's a customized Orin, but it's already available. A lot of the speculation of Dane surrounds what parts of Orin could be modified like Jetson was, but would differentiate it from Jetson.

Am I close to the target?

Thanks all, really appreciate the clarifications! I think it was Atlan I was thinking of as a confirmed Switch 2, but then as @Pokemaniac said it's hard to predict what will happen in four years time.

So, Tegra is like the family last name of chips, of which Orin is a part of, right? Dane is mostly Orin with some minor changes, and likely what the next Switch revision would be in 2022/2023. Jetson is similar in that regard in that it's a customized Orin, but it's already available. A lot of the speculation of Dane surrounds what parts of Orin could be modified like Jetson was, but would differentiate it from Jetson.

Jetson is a series of dev boards like the raspberry pi. the current one is based on the Volta architecture and is called Xavier. the Switch's TX1 is available as the Jetson Nano. it's the same chip but with half the gpu cores. the current roadmap has the Nano being replaced with the "nano next" in 2023. this was delayed for some reason. we suspect that the Nano Next will be the same chip as in the next Nintendo system, but with fewer cores. a higher powered Orin chip will replace the Jetson Xavier

Jetson Nano
Jetson_product_tiles_Devkit_pages-Jetson_Nano_2GB.jpg

Jetson Xavier

Jetson_Xavier_NX-Developer_Kit-Front_Top_Right.png

I would say so. But the only thing I would say is that no one really knows how customised Dane is compared to Orin.

It's certainly possible. But I think it depends on Nintendo's plans for 2024-2025. Nintendo might plan on releasing a refresh of the DLSS model* running on a die shrink of Dane on 2024-2025.
We thinking dane could come as late as 2025 now? what happened to 2023

edit: nvm saw you said refresh, so im guessing you are talking about a revision of a revision

Jetson is a series of dev boards like the raspberry pi. the current one is based on the Volta architecture and is called Xavier. the Switch's TX1 is available as the Jetson Nano. it's the same chip but with half the gpu cores. the current roadmap has the Nano being replaced with the "nano next" in 2023. this was delayed for some reason. we suspect that the Nano Next will be the same chip as in the next Nintendo system, but with fewer cores. a higher powered Orin chip will replace the Jetson Xavier

Jetson Nano
Jetson_product_tiles_Devkit_pages-Jetson_Nano_2GB.jpg

Jetson Xavier

Jetson_Xavier_NX-Developer_Kit-Front_Top_Right.png
If I'm understanding correctly, Jetson/Xavier is the chip used in development kits, right? And then Dane is what would be included in the commercial retail release of the Switch revision? I think my confusion lies in thinking they are two separate parts, or if Jetson is a part of a Dane SoC

I would say so. But the only thing I would say is that no one really knows how customised Dane is compared to Orin.
And then therein lies the discourse surrounding how many A5*s and A7*s would be used in a big.LITTLE configuration, or something along those lines, right?

If I'm reading correctly, it's that Dane would arrive as is in 2023, and then a Dane mini could happen in 2025 (but if I'm interpreting your words wrong @Dakhil my apologies)

No, Dane's probably still going to be released in 2022-2023.

When I mean "a die shrink of Dane", I mean having the fabrication of Dane transition from Dane's original process node (Samsung's 8N process node or Samsung's 7LPP process node) to a more advanced process node (e.g. Samsung's 5LPE process node, etc.) for a 2024-2025 refresh for the DLSS model, similar to how there was a die shrink of the Tegra X1 from TSMC's 20 nm** process node for the Nintendo Switch (2017) to TSMC's 16 nm** process node for the 2019 refresh of the Nintendo Switch.

** → a marketing nomenclature used by all foundry companies

If I'm understanding correctly, Jetson/Xavier is the chip used in development kits, right? And then Dane is what would be included in the commercial retail release of the Switch revision? I think my confusion lies in thinking they are two separate parts, or if Jetson is a part of a Dane SoC
Jetson is the devkit name for the NVIDIA SoC boards.

So there was the Jetson TX1 for the Tegra X1, Jetson TX2 for the Tegra X2, Jetson Xaiver for the (Tegra) Xaiver, so on so forth.

Jetson Nano is a cut-down variant of the Jetson TX1 Board to make it as small/power-sipping as possible (5W)

What NVIDIA is likely to reveal on the 9th is Jetson Orin.

Because the Jetson boards are general-use devkits, it would be customized from normal Orin
(Aka, A78/A78Cs rather than A78Es, removal of other custom Automotive hardware.etc)

So what is revealed on the 9th is very likely to be the current devkit that Nintendo is using rn and that other developers will get by the end of the year.

Give or take binning/software limiting the core counts/clockspeeds if Jetson Orin is derived from Big Orin rather than Orin S.

And then therein lies the discourse surrounding how many A5*s and A7*s would be used in a big.LITTLE configuration, or something along those lines, right?

If I'm reading correctly, it's that Dane would arrive as is in 2023, and then a Dane mini could happen in 2025 (but if I'm interpreting your words wrong @Dakhil my apologies)
Jetson SoCs are completely different from the SoC used in retail hardware.

Yes. There's also discussions on how many components of the GPU will be present on Dane (e.g. number of SMs, number of CUDA cores per SM, number of Tensor Cores per SM, etc.).

That's a possibility.

Jetson is the devkit name for the NVIDIA SoC boards.

So there was the Jetson TX1 for the Tegra X1, Jetson TX2 for the Tegra X2, Jetson Xaiver for the (Tegra) Xaiver, so on so forth.

Jetson Nano is a cut-down variant of the Jetson TX1 Board to make it as small/power-sipping as possible (5W)

What NVIDIA is likely to reveal on the 9th is Jetson Orin.

Because the Jetson boards are general-use devkits, it would be customized from normal Orin
(Aka, A78/A78Cs rather than A78Es, removal of other custom Automotive hardware.etc)
Okay, I think I'm catching up to speed here. I was under the impression Orin was already announced/available based on posts I read; not that it was only being leaked and hasn't officially had an announcement.

So Jetson Nano is meant to be cost/energy efficient, but perform the same tasks as Jetson TX1. Both meant to develop for the Tegra X1, which is the current chip inside the Switch and Switch Lite (also known as Mariko).

So if we see see Orin on the 9th, then the folks in this thread will better know what Orin is capable of, and what might be expected to be cut off that isn't relevant to the Switch revision (I don't know why this comparison helps me, but kinda like how the NPLN network replaced the NEX because it didn't need to do a verification check for Windows 98 or something silly like that).

Jetson SoCs are completely different from the SoC used in retail hardware.

Yes. There's also discussions on how many components of the GPU will be present on Dane (e.g. number of SMs, number of CUDA cores per SM, number of Tensor Cores per SM, etc.).

That's a possibility.
Awesome, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. One more question, what do the acronyms SM and CUDA stand for in the context of these discussions?

Xavier is a specific Tegra SoC from nV.

Jetson are computing boards that can have soemthing like a TX1, an Xavier or even a TX2.

ORIN is the name of the successor to the Tegra line of products. Though some speculate it’s the same thing and ORIN is just a specific set of products under the Tegra name. Like how Xavier is a Tegra Xavier with an NX 15W and a 10W variant. ORIN could be a Tegra ORIN. But we don’t know that so this isn’t really important.

Dane is a customized version of an ORIN product, we don’t know what extent the customization is.

Nano Next is very likely meant to be the successor to the Jetson Nano, which contains a chip like the one in the Switch but half the amount of GPU cores are disabled. Nano Next is likely a similar thing we expect, some parts disabled.

I hope this helps, @Brofield

Awesome, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. One more question, what do the acronyms SM and CUDA stand for in the context of these discussions?
SMs stand for streaming multiprocessors. I would describe SMs as the component where all the computations occur in a Nvidia GPU. Here are pictures of where SMs are in a Nvidia GPU (in this case, the GA102, which is the die used for the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 GPUs), as well as a closeup of a SM (for GA102).
930-block-diagram.jpg

930-sm-diagram.jpg

And CUDA stands for compute unified device architecture. I would describe CUDA cores as the component of the SM that does the bulk of computations for a Nvidia GPU (FP32, INT32, etc.).

Okay, I think I'm catching up to speed here. I was under the impression Orin was already announced/available based on posts I read; not that it was only being leaked and hasn't officially had an announcement.

So Jetson Nano is meant to be cost/energy efficient, but perform the same tasks as Jetson TX1. Both meant to develop for the Tegra X1, which is the current chip inside the Switch and Switch Lite (also known as Mariko).

So if we see see Orin on the 9th, then the folks in this thread will better know what Orin is capable of, and what might be expected to be cut off that isn't relevant to the Switch revision (I don't know why this comparison helps me, but kinda like how the NPLN network replaced the NEX because it didn't need to do a verification check for Windows 98 or something silly like that).

------------------------------------------------------
For reference on your SM and CUDA questions
CUDA is the name of NVIDIA's GPU cores, and SMs is a "Collection" of CUDA, Tensor, and in the case of Desktop Ampere, RT cores.

1 SM is 128 CUDA Cores, 4 Tensor Cores, and 1 RT core (As of RN from Ampere)

So For example, the RTX 3050 Laptop GPU is 16SMs and has 2042 CUDA cores and 64 Tensor cores, Big Orin has the same, but because the 3050 Laptop GPU is "Desktop Ampere" the 3050 Laptop GPU has 16 RT cores on top of it.

Now, NVIDIA may switch Jetson Orin to run on Desktop Ampere as part of "De-Automobilizing" it, therefore it would get those RT cores back, but that is TBD.

------------------------------------------------------

Orin (The Automotive SoC Family) will be showcased on the 10th.

A "Prosumer/Developer" variant of the Orin SoC will be shown in the Jetson Orin board likely to be revealed on the 9th.

Orin, the Auto SoC has been around in public knowledge and shown by NVIDIA multiple times in the past few years, it's just details that have changed as they've advanced/tweaked it.

And Jetson Nano isn't really meant to do the same things at Jetson TX1, it literally is half of Jetson TX1 in most regards in order to hit that 5W Target, so the Nano isn't really worth discussing in regards to Dane as Dane would be more powerful than a Jetson Orin Nano.

So the options for Jetson Orin are that it's based on Big Orin (12CPU cores, 16GPU SMs)
Or it's based on the mysterious Orin S (A SKU of Orin that showed up in the family reveal a few years back targeting 15Ws that has disappeared since).

Either way, the Jetson Orin board will get closer to where Dane is, but it pretty much will be Dane if Jetson Orin is cut down from big Orin in a notable fashion (IE: cutting the SM count down to 8SMs)

We will have to see, either way this will pretty much be our best refinement of the scope of Dane's power we will get unless NVIDIA drops a Orin S NVIDIA Sheild TV or something

(This applies to NV, it’s slightly different for AMD)

CUDA Core is to the GPU what a Cell is to an organism, while SM is to a GPU what a Organ is to an organism.

GPU is the Organism.

A GPC is like an Organ System is in an organism. The Tissue, which in the case of nVidia GPUs would be like the 128 CUDA Cores in an SM.

That’t the best way I can describe it :p

lol

Remember, Cell>Tissue>Organ>Organ System>Organism

Once the system is far enough in development, devkits should be mostly the same as retail hardware, but early, pre-silicon devkits are frequently cobbled together out of whatever's available, which likely includes Jetson boards in the case of a new Switch.

Nintendo seems to have “confirmed“* that they are aiming for the Pro, rather than treating it like an eventual successor, despite the hardware difference being massive. The chip itself could have been used for a Successor though, or a Pro, as those are marketing positions. It is that big of a potential jump, yet they are probably treating it like a Pro or whatever you consider the GBC to be.

Again, they could have easily used this as a succ but seem to be against it, so Atlan derivative will be the actual succ for this platform That is “Nintendo Switch”

*”confirmed” is being used very loosely here, don’t take it as the literal meaning

Nintendo seems to have “confirmed“* that they are aiming for the Pro, rather than treating it like an eventual successor, despite the hardware difference being massive. The chip itself could have been used for a Successor though, or a Pro, as those are marketing positions. It is that big of a potential jump, yet they are probably treating it like a Pro or whatever you consider the GBC to be.

Again, they could have easily used this as a succ but seem to be against it, so Atlan derivative will be the actual succ for this platform That is “Nintendo Switch”

*”confirmed” is being used very loosely here, don’t take it as the literal meaning
Honestly I feel Dane will take the Switch Brand into the late 2020s or even early 2030's so that system would likely be Altan-Next.

Unless if Nintendo keeps updating the Swtich with new hardware on a reasonable time table ala Smartphones/What Xbox is likely to do with the Series systems.

If they do the latter then we may see
    • Switch Dane
    • Switch Dane Lite
    • Switch Altan/ Switch Altan Lite
      • I feel if they move to an interative release model, they will release the Lite and
    • Nintendo Next
      • TBH though, in the current market, I feel Nintendo may keep the Switch brand as their main brand out of necessity as they got burned hard by the Wii U and even the 3DS arguably versus the DS.
        • Gimmicks only sell insanely if they appeal to the mass audience, that is why the Wii and DS worked (cost helps).
        • I just don't see the financial incentive to do a big risk like another Wii or Wii U in the modern market with the Switch being as strong as it is, especially after over a decade at this point of Switch models, even if they cut the Switch off in 2026 versus my 2030 estimate.
          • Also with DLSS being the main driving point for the Switch for 4-8 years depending on when this would come out, they'd have to market power somehow.
          • Also not to mention that by 2030 and even arguably 2026, Msoft's push for Xcloud/streaming would've been even stronger and people may just want a handheld dedicated to systems as their home internet would be good enough for game streaming.
            • Also not to mention Msoft at this point likely would have released the Series S2|X2 sort of validating the Iterative console concept no matter what Nintendo does.
    • Switch Altan+/ Switch Altan+ Lite
      • Nintendo would likely use a refreshed/die-shrunk version of the SoC in the previous systems, also to let whatever their new concept/ "Third Pillar" is to have the highest specs of the lot.

I don't really get this idea of "big enough jump to be a successor" when this is Nintendo we're talking about. Wii was the Gamecube's successor but was probably a smaller jump than n3DS over the 3DS.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom