• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I mean we’ll just have to agree to disagree. If Switch were so technically deficient then it really shouldn’t be getting the games it is. Technical difficulties is a quick easy excuse for people to throw out for why the Switch is not getting more support. If it were as easy as making a more powerful machine then Nintendo would have done it ages ago to garner 3rd parties back. Instead we’ll be having this talk again when certain 3rd parties, with the Drake, inevitably skip or limit the system because of business or ideological reasons that have really not much to do with technical limitations.
The truth is not black or white a 1 or a 0 like most things. Every publisher has a certain amount of manpower and they deploy that force in a way to maximise revenue and hopefully profit.

Switch was a very risky proposition for many third parties after the Wii U especially as they did a decent job of supporting it early on with some exclusives and some PS360 ports. Once Switch built a decent install base (around early 2019 I think it hit 50 million sold) third parties started to get interested in allocating some of that workforce towards Switch.

Developers also already have nine platforms (Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series S, Series X, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and PC) when it comes to ports. Adding a system that is in some respects 5x weaker than even the weakest of the above takes a lot of manpower (and investment) to get running at an acceptable level of performance if it’s a demanding game.

If Nintendo released a Switch console tomorrow that was on par with a Series S technically then you can bet your bottom dollar that 95% of third party games would be on the system if it was successful in its first year because Switch has shown that ports of titles such as DOOM and The Witcher sell to the modern Switch / Nintendo audience.

This narrative that third parties don’t like Nintendo is completely out of date. Companies like revenue and if there’s money to be made on a Nintendo platform they will put their games on it. They owe it to their shareholders. Not some grudge from the 90’s lol.

We aren’t talking about that, we only talked about you asking for a source which was provided.

If you don’t like it then idk what to tell you.
I wasn't the initial person who asked for the DF source. That individual, who was referencing DF, was asked to provide a source, and they responded by saying there were many videos that could be referred to, without providing a single one. It was peculiar. Thank you.

A $10 premium on a limited edition is pretty tame. They're not raising the price of the OLED model, they're charging a little extra for the customization, in line with similar upgrades (the Animal Crossing Switch cost the same, and it wasn't an OLED, though it came with a digital code for the game)

Nintendo announced 2 limited edition Smash Bros 3DSs a week before the New 3DS was announced, and a new Monster Hunter 3DS the same day.

Limited edition machines are fan toys for existing Switch owners, produced in limited quantity. If Pro is announced in time for SplatoonSwitch buyers to cancel their preorder, you'll have folks who want both, but you can't say that they got lied to, and SplatoonSwitch sells out regardless.
The Animal Crossing Switch did not have a code for the game, and was not priced higher. It was the V2 Switch, and sold for $299.

I'm saying the fact that they raised the price of the OLED means they aren't releasing an even more expensive console for holiday.
Unless they lower the price of the OLED down to $299 and phase out the base model, making the OLED the new base model

Or, heck, unless they do release an even more expensive console for the holiday

Unless they lower the price of the OLED down to $299 and phase out the base model, making the OLED the new base model

Or, heck, unless they do release an even more expensive console for the holiday
Yeah, that isn't happening this holiday, either.

Just to briefly relitigate the Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port:

No USB 3.0 Type A and a 120mb/s limited ethernet port means it can allow HDMI to take the full bandwidth.

It has very excessive ventilation compared to any extant Nintendo Switch models, something like 4 times what it needs, AND the addition of new plastic that form an air channel across the back of the console. When the OLED doesn't need it, the OLED barely even needs its fan. Why would they spend the extra pennies for the extra plastic and the extra thousands in engineering for airflow that's unnecessary?

The dock has firmware which can be updated. In the past, this feature on consoles has been used to add features to the HDMI controller. It can't increase the bandwidth, sure, but it could mean VRR, etc. PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 used this feature to add 3D and HDR respectively, post launch.

I've tested the cable that comes with it personally on an AMD GPU and an Xbox Series X- and it can do 4K 60.

Between the cable rating and the physical features of the dock, and the firmware, that seems like a lot of expense for things the OLED Model can't take advantage of.

If we get a new model and it would be the Switch 4K. I expect it to be released on the same day as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. If the system gets announced in August or September you have 3/2 window of release around it :). Similar to the OLED in 2021 where it got announced in July 6th (hey a year ago) and released on the 8th of October.

So by this flawless logic we will have an announcement on the 18th of August or September
/s

If we get a new model and it would be the Switch 4K. I expect it to be released on the same day as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. If the system gets announced in August or September you have 3/2 window of release around it :). Similar to the OLED in 2021 where it got announced in July 6th (hey a year ago) and released on the 8th of October.

I think it'll be called the Nintendo Switch - 4K Model

I'm saying the fact that they raised the price of the OLED means they aren't releasing an even more expensive console for holiday.
They didn’t raise the price of the OLED. They set a price for the customized OLED, a mere 10 bucks over the base price.
The Animal Crossing Switch did not have a code for the game, and was not priced higher. It was the V2 Switch, and sold for $299.
It looks like this was a European vs American difference.

To be fair, we’ve been hearing about the Switch Pro for 4 flippin’ years with the same exact song :

2018 :
It’s coming this year
4k & DLSS ready
You won’t believe it, Billy,
It’s gonna wreck your derrière

2019 :
2019 comes and go
Where the hell is Switch Pro ?
Have you looked at 2020 ?
Ask my uncle Ninty !

2020 :
Here we go it’s the best timeline !
Everyone is ready for covid !
Where the hell is my Switch Pro ?
I suck at rimes so badly…
So, about this stupid post, just wanted to say : I'm sorry.

I think it'll be called the Nintendo Switch - 4K Model

I'm mostly with you.

Marketing exclusive titles as "4K Model Exclusive" doesn't really have much of a punch to it though. It is what it is, but it's only telling me 'the same but in 4K' and we know exclusives won't be just that.

And for the retail experience for new software - do they cram that name onto the spine? Maybe they just slap a 4K under the tiny Switch logo, change something around the coloring of the cases?

They didn't. OLED is still $350. Nothing's changed.

It's $10 more for a special edition console. Special editions for consoles have historically cost more from what I remember. I really don't see how this has anything whatsoever to do with Nintendo choosing not to release a pro / revision at an even higher price ($449-$499).

I'm mostly with you.

Marketing exclusive titles as "4K Model Exclusive" doesn't really have much of a punch to it. It is what it is, but it's only telling me 'the same but in 4K' and we know exclusives won't be just that.

And for the retail experience for new software - do they cram that name onto the spine? Maybe they just slap a 4K under the tiny Switch logo, change something around the coloring of the cases?

The only change that would be necessary (if any) would be a small extension of the Nintendo Switch logo on the front cover to include some sort of "4K" iconography to indicate that it is compatible with the Nintendo Switch - 4K Model.

That, and some mention of it in the tiny text on the back cover.

Hmmm...any idea why it would regress like that? That seems really strange! Definitely not tech-minded myself, but hopefully someone chimes in on this because it is pretty bizarre!
upscaling takes resources and there comes a point where the hardware is too weak to do upscaling. the Vega 3 happens to just not have the resources to do this amount of upscaling apparently. more testing is needed, but it would mean that FSR2.0 would crater performance.

this is why some folks thought that DLSS won't be used in handheld mode, but Drake would still be considerably stronger than Vega 3

I think Nintendo Switch - 4K Model is an asinine name and I thought you lot were joking.

For what it's worth, I think the "- [feature]" designation would be kept to the OLED Model. The Lite didn't even use that naming scheme. Heck, the OLED Model adopted it after the fact, it was revealed as "Nintendo Switch (OLED Model)".

My top picks would be:
Super Nintendo Switch (SNS)
New Nintendo Switch (NNS)
Nintendo Switch PLUS (NSW+)
or
Nintendo Switch NEXT (NSN)

The only change that would be necessary (if any) would be a small extension of the Nintendo Switch logo on the front cover to include some sort of "4K" iconography to indicate that it is compatible with the Nintendo Switch - 4K Model.

That, and some mention of it in the tiny text on the back cover.

When a title only runs on one version of the system, and that family of systems historically hasn't had any real compatibility concerns (joy-con requirements for some games aside), we're treading new territory here.

The "new" Nintendo 3DS exclusive boxes got a new banner, and note the banner took up a lot more space on the box than the tiny Switch logo currently does. On top of that, they added a big arrow saying "Only for" pointing to the name.

I just don't think there's going to be anything subtle about the new device branding on the box, especially if we find ourselves having quite a few exclusives 2-3 years out. They've got work to do for clarity around the brick-and-mortar retail experience, online retail experience, eShop experience, etc.

I've been looking at phone names out of curiosity and there's a whoooole lot of Pro, Max, Ultra, Plus, X generation, and 5G
Then we've got TV set top boxes or sticks (Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV). Again, lot of Ultra, Plus, and Max, and of course 4K. Some models even distinguish power - e.g. there's a 4K model and a 4K+ model.
For previous Nintendo names we've got New, SP, Super, Advance, and letters (i, U).

For this brainstorming session I'm ruling out Pro and 5G. 4K is an option, I'm not that fond of it but I'll move on.
Max, Plus, Ultra seem like safe names for communicating a new and more powerful device.
They could go with Nintendo Super Switch or do the sexy Nvidia thing and call it Switch Super. Switch Advance and SP are also fun Game Boy throwbacks.
I hate New Nintendo Switch and if they had to do it, just go with Switch Neo. Or fuck it, Nintendo Switch (2022/2023) model.
Switch U is a meme.

And of course there's always Switch II. No, not 2. II. It's 2 joycons.

I've been looking at phone names out of curiosity and there's a whoooole lot of Pro, Max, Ultra, Plus, X generation, and 5G
Then we've got TV set top boxes or sticks (Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV). Again, lot of Ultra, Plus, and Max, and of course 4K. Some models even distinguish power - e.g. there's a 4K model and a 4K+ model.
For previous Nintendo names we've got New, SP, Super, Advance, and letters (i, U).

For this brainstorming session I'm ruling out Pro and 5G. 4K is an option, I'm not that fond of it but I'll move on.
Max, Plus, Ultra seem like safe names for communicating a new and more powerful device.
They could go with Nintendo Super Switch or do the sexy Nvidia thing and call it Switch Super. Switch Advance and SP are also fun Game Boy throwbacks.
I hate New Nintendo Switch and if they had to do it, just go with Switch Neo. Or fuck it, Nintendo Switch (2022/2023) model.
Switch U is a meme.

And of course there's always Switch II. No, not 2. II. It's 2 joycons.
What? Why "Nintendo Super Switch"? The family of consoles is the Nintendo Switch. As far as they're concerned, it's the Nintendo Switch, which is made by Nintendo, not Nintendo's Switch. A Super variant wouldn't put that designation in the middle. Did SNES? Did Nintendo DSi? Did New Nintendo 3DS? Not when Nintendo is part of the console's actual name.

I think Nintendo Switch - 4K Model is an asinine name and I thought you lot were joking.

For what it's worth, I think the "- [feature]" designation would be kept to the OLED Model. The Lite didn't even use that naming scheme. Heck, the OLED Model adopted it after the fact, it was revealed as "Nintendo Switch (OLED Model)".

My top picks would be:
or
This is Nintendo we're talking about. They aren't beyond absurd naming conventions. "New Nintendo 3DS XL" among others. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Nintendo Switch 4K or something similar.

as much as everyone would hate it I think the move is to call it Switch 2

communicates that it's building off the existing Switch for compatibility with existing software and controllers, doesn't confuse anyone about exclusives, and when the time comes to make Lite/XL/etc variants, it keeps the prolixity to a minimum

This is Nintendo we're talking about. They aren't beyond absurd naming conventions. "New Nintendo 3DS XL" among others. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Nintendo Switch 4K or something similar.
But they are above using a product designation they've repeatedly used to donate a minor addition to define an entire generation! Nintendo Switch (2 Model) sounds equally cromulent as Nintendo Switch (4K Model).

My top picks would be:
or

Rounding up the 'feature designation' names:

Switch
Switch OLED
DS
3ds
2ds
Virtual Boy
N64

Seems to be a really used go to trope for portable systems.

I think they are just going to call it switch 2.

Rounding up the 'feature designation' names:

Switch
Switch OLED
DS
3ds
2ds
Virtual Boy
N64

Seems to be a really used go to trope for portable systems.

I think they are just going to call it switch 2.
Nintendo Switch - OLED Model
3DS
2DS
DS
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Light
Nintendo 64

Maybe DSi because the i denoted internet connectivity.

Regardless, 4K would look silly among these because we know it's an upgrade that'll affect far more than just resolution.

With the speculation of a larger model, how are people feeling about the chip being on Samsung 8nm? I think it will be doable at low enough clocks.

They should be able to come up with something more efficient in time for Pokémon Loud and Pokémon Quiet in 2025.

Last edited:
What? Why "Nintendo Super Switch"? The family of consoles is the Nintendo Switch. As far as they're concerned, it's the Nintendo Switch, which is made by Nintendo, not Nintendo's Switch. A Super variant wouldn't put that designation in the middle. Did SNES? Did Nintendo DSi? Did New Nintendo 3DS? Not when Nintendo is part of the console's actual name.
I include that form because Nate heard it as a (nick)name last year so there's a nonzero chance of it being called that. I also prefer it to Super Nintendo Switch which sounds kind of clunky to me.

Anyways - Nintendo Switch is the full name of the console yes, but I don't see how anything you said rules out Super Switch. E.g. Super Nintendo Switch can be the full name of the console in legal terms but folks are also going to call it the Super Switch by short hand. New Nintendo 3DS was the official name but "New 3DS" is such a common way to describe it that it barely matters. Or Nintendo can treat the Switch as its own brand and call it Super Switch like the Nintendo 3DS or Super Game Boy.

I'm not really discussing full, legal names for the device in my little brainstorming session. If I say Switch Plus don't take me too literally (or seriously), the official name could be "Nintendo Switch Plus" or "Nintendo Switch - Plus Model" or "Nintendo Switch+".

Last edited:
I'd assume Nintendo sees hardware generations differently, so anything with a completely new name would be a new type of gaming hardware. Anything that is following the Switch model is just that: Switch.

A marketing campaign could then still communicate something like "it's the new Switch, now more powerful and with 4K visuals".

Geez…don’t say this here! I got jumped on by posters in this thread when I said this stuff a few weeks ago lol

Clearly announcing a device early July is a priority for Nintendo.
They announced both the OLED and Lite in early July. It makes sense, since people are still hyped about gaming news from E3 season, and it gives time before the holidays to hype the device.

But they announced the Splatoon edition OLED instead. I find it very hard to believe they bumped a pro announcement to August so that they could sell a splatoon edition.

Clearly announcing a device early July is a priority for Nintendo.
They announced both the OLED and Lite in early July. It makes sense, since people are still hyped about gaming news from E3 season, and it gives time before the holidays to hype the device.

But they announced the Splatoon edition OLED instead. I find it very hard to believe they bumped a pro announcement to August so that they could sell a splatoon edition.
Splatoon was originally supposed to come out this month, so I wouldn't read too much into the hardware announcement. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is trying to time the hardware as close to launch as possible to keep the current switch selling. I wouldn't be surprised if the first time we see it is two months or so before launch.

To clarify my last post, it wasn't intended to discourage anyone from sharing information. There were some lean days in the past (here or on that old place) when we had nothing to discuss. I like it a lot better with an active thread. So please keep them coming.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I wasn't on your forum back then, and sadly missed the excitement. I only heard about the leak secondhand. By the way, it seems that at the time there was another Lite photo leak on your forum (in addition to the backplate), but the mod team removed it quickly and thus the news didn't travel to the west. Did I understand that history correctly? Is it your current policy that leaked photos are not allowed? Thank you very much for being the ambassador. 🤝

Splatoon was originally supposed to come out this month, so I wouldn't read too much into the hardware announcement. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is trying to time the hardware as close to launch as possible to keep the current switch selling. I wouldn't be surprised if the first time we see it is two months or so before launch.

I'm not reading into this announcement at all, but just wanted to ask - is the bolded true?

We know that Xenoblade got moved, but I only recall a "Summer 2022" release for Splatoon 3. Then we speculated that when they settled on September is when they decided to shift Xenoblade, but Splatoon 3 may have never been pinned for July or even August.

This is getting out of hand

What do you mean?

To clarify my last post, it wasn't intended to discourage anyone from sharing information. There were some lean days in the past (here or on that old place) when we had nothing to discuss. I like it a lot better with an active thread. So please keep them coming.

I wasn't on your forum back then, and sadly missed the excitement. I only heard about the leak secondhand. By the way, it seems that at the time there was another Lite photo leak on your forum (in addition to the backplate), but the mod team removed it quickly and thus the news didn't travel to the west. Did I understand that history correctly? Is it your current policy that leaked photos are not allowed? Thank you very much for being the ambassador. 🤝
I remember there being a photo of the front as well as the back photo, but only the back one was a big story, I'm wondering if the front one got pulled.
I had been making a point at the time that the picture of the front (with holes for the buttons& sticks) proved that the labelling was printed in reverse and wasn't just a mirrored image. Apparently the reversed labelling shows up in switch lite developer editions?

I'm not reading into this announcement at all, but just wanted to ask - is the bolded true?

We know that Xenoblade got moved, but I only recall a "Summer 2022" release for Splatoon 3. Then we speculated that when they settled on September is when they decided to shift Xenoblade, but Splatoon 3 may have never been pinned for July or even August.
It has never been explicitly confirmed Xenoblade and Splatoon were swapped, but that is by far the simplest explanation for the release date weirdness around Xenoblade 3.

The truth is not black or white a 1 or a 0 like most things. Every publisher has a certain amount of manpower and they deploy that force in a way to maximise revenue and hopefully profit.

Switch was a very risky proposition for many third parties after the Wii U especially as they did a decent job of supporting it early on with some exclusives and some PS360 ports. Once Switch built a decent install base (around early 2019 I think it hit 50 million sold) third parties started to get interested in allocating some of that workforce towards Switch.

Developers also already have nine platforms (Xbox One, Xbox One X, Series S, Series X, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and PC) when it comes to ports. Adding a system that is in some respects 5x weaker than even the weakest of the above takes a lot of manpower (and investment) to get running at an acceptable level of performance if it’s a demanding game.

If Nintendo released a Switch console tomorrow that was on par with a Series S technically then you can bet your bottom dollar that 95% of third party games would be on the system if it was successful in its first year because Switch has shown that ports of titles such as DOOM and The Witcher sell to the modern Switch / Nintendo audience.

This narrative that third parties don’t like Nintendo is completely out of date. Companies like revenue and if there’s money to be made on a Nintendo platform they will put their games on it. They owe it to their shareholders. Not some grudge from the 90’s lol.
When did I ever say companies did not like Nintendo or had a grudge? Ya’ll are putting words in my mouth for things I never said. I said companies will continue to treat Switch as they have been now through business & ideological reasons. And, we have seen companies answer to their shareholders with what is essentially “we good, take a look at this other thing instead.” So this notion that stronger hardware is all that is needed and that there is money to be made doesn’t quite matchup to what we are seeing with certain companies. If Nintendo came out with a system comparable to Series S we would still have certain companies come out with excuse bingo or just skip it in general.

I believe he leaked the Pokemon Let's Go games. Maybe more.

Truth is he doesn't matter from a 'leaks' perspective these days. I recall him saying as much at one point.

This just looks like he's caught up on the rumors / leaks circulating around already and saying he's buying into the idea. * Same as @Skittzo said

Truth is he doesn't matter from a 'leaks' perspective these days. I recall him saying as much at one point.

This just looks like he's caught up on the rumors / leaks circulating around already and saying he's buying into the idea. * Same as @Skittzo said
Yeah I agree. He's pretty much not leaking stuff nowadays. Maybe it's possible he hears thing and keeps quiet but who knows.

I feel like “Super Nintendo Switch” literally would knock it out of the park lmao. Why would you even dodge such a gimme? It aligns with their history while remaining unique from the names other companies chose for their enhanced devices.

Saw this and am ded. Yes I know it’s not that serious

Nintendo: We’re trying to go beyond a traditional lifecycle for a console. Also it’s 2022 and we’re at the midpoint of the Switch lifecycle.

People when Switch is still selling in 2026: Holy shit huge twist never saw it coming.

This is getting out of hand
Crazy_Hand_SSBU.png

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom