• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

There is also the possibility that Nintendo announces the platform without any fluff.

Basically, "new Switch coming at the end of the FY, more news will be communicated in January 2023."

And then nothing else from FromSoft backlog, DS came to Switch probably because Nintendo pushed for it, FromSoft was creditted as one of Nintendo Switch supporters due to it. FromSoft is just in another lane compared to Nintendo they will not make Drake ports themselves they will keep making PS5/XSX games and Bamco Switch support when it comes to making ports when studios dont make themselves is 0 if Nintendo doesn’t pay.

2017-2020 Capcom Switch support was the worst of any JP publisher (if you dont count FromSoft as a publisher). I think that like FromSoft they will keep being on the XSX/PS5/PC lane and Drake will get some dedicated efforts and old ports like Switch has done but there will be more effort from Capcom part just dont think they will fit Drake on their development of AAA titles .
Good post. I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment by expecting the Japanese third party situation to drastically change because of more powerful Switch hardware. The big Japanese publishers are aware of the state of the market and, whether the decision is ultimately sound or not, are still pushing ahead with PC/PS/XB as their primary development platforms. You can tell where their priorities lie when a mid-low budget JRPG like Soul Hackers 2 launches on every major console but the Switch.

As for Capcom, who almost certainly have devkits for this upcoming console or at least a good idea of the target specs:

Does this seem like a publisher that is looking to increase their Switch development in the future? There will be barely enough sales left for Xbox if they reach their 50% PC target, let alone a Switch successor.

On the contrary the only info we've gotten about how they plan to position this is that it's a revision, not a successor.

Not that I want to start that eternal battle again but there's really no reason to think it'll be treated as a successor if it launches this or early next year.
Ok we'll split the difference and call it a 3rd pillar

Does this seem like a publisher that is looking to increase their Switch development in the future? There will be barely enough sales left for Xbox if they reach their 50% PC target, let alone a Switch successor.
outside of Monster Hunter and catalogue, most of Capcom's sales are from games that do well on Playstation

outside of Monster Hunter and catalogue, most of Capcom's sales are from games that do well on Playstation
Still Capcom main focus is on PC/XSX/PS5 as the nature of most of their games selling the best on Playstation, the chances of them adding Drake to the development pipeline is low other than certain franchises and them trying to make JP centric efforts (Capcom Dev 3). I think the support will be a lot better than Switch but don't think expecting them to release most of their games on Drake is realistic (I think they will for some but not all or even the majority).

I understand my comments can seem really pessimistic when it comes to JP publisher support but 90% of the JP games that skip Switch are not due to tech reasons really and the 10% that do will not try to adjust to Drake in most cases. There will be surprises like there were during Switch era (NIS/Koei) but the majority will remain statu quo until finances hurt

Last edited:
Still Capcom main focus is on PC/XSX/PS5 as the nature of most of their games selling the best on Playstation, the chances of them adding Drake to the development pipeline is low other than certain franchises and them trying to make JP centric efforts (Capcom Dev 3). I think the support will be a lot better than Switch but don't think expecting them to release most of their games on Drake is realistic (I think they will for some but not all or even the majority).

I understand my comments can seem really pessimistic when it comes to JP publisher support but 90% of the JP games that skip Switch are not due to tech reasons really and the 10% that do will not try to adjust to Drake in most cases. There will be surprises like there were during Switch era (NIS/Koei) but the majority will remain statu quo until finances hurt

I think we’ll get Street Fighter 6, RE 2, 3, 7 and 8. Basically anything with a PS4 version. Will be interesting to see if something next gen exclusive like RE4 can make it across. That’ll be a big test.

Although Orin's release schedule probably has scant relation with Drake's, here it is just for reference (from Computex 2022):

NVIDIA-Computex-2022-Jetson-AGX-Orin.jpg

The earliest availability is July 2022 for 32GB AGX Orin, and the last is December 2022 for 8GB Orin NX.

Capcom at least appears to have a very good relationship with Nintendo overall, and the hardware itself is the limiting factor. Whether or not they support the Drake with more content is probably going to depend on how far removed it is technically from their other console efforts.

There's no doubt in my mind that if the revision closes the gap in any way, we'll see more and more support. I could have sworn we had folks saying that they'd tried to get RE7 running on OG Switch but weren't satisfied. Drake is an opportunity for them to try again with these types of ports and see if they're happy.

We don't know if the direct will be before or after the meeting. The direct has been said to be on the 28th or the 29th depending on time zones, it could wind up being either before or after.
If that's the usual timeframe, then it would be before the meeting.

However, the last time it happened, the Direct was after the meeting. It was called a "Corporate Management Policy Briefing" last time tho so not the same.

So yeah, I should be before the meeting even if Tuesday (in the US) Direct is very unusual

I think we’ll get Street Fighter 6, RE 2, 3, 7 and 8. Basically anything with a PS4 version. Will be interesting to see if something next gen exclusive like RE4 can make it across. That’ll be a big test.
Maybe some old RE ports, but don’t count on a lot of their bigger multiplats to make it over.

Last edited:
There's no doubt in my mind that if the revision closes the gap in any way, we'll see more and more support. I could have sworn we had folks saying that they'd tried to get RE7 running on OG Switch but weren't satisfied. Drake is an opportunity for them to try again with these types of ports and see if they're happy.
The problem is the next Switch will not close gap if anything it will get bigger because PS and Xbox are not crippled by Jaguar CPU's this time.

Maybe some old RE ports, but don’t count on it.
Capcom is not EA. There's a reason their games skipped Switch. RE engine wasn't supported , they transitioned to PS4/XBOX/PC when Wii U was failing and there was no Switch

I shouldn't have to type the same post everytime. The woe is me victim complex with Cacpom is unwarranted. The timing was just bad for Nintendo. Unless Sony paid to keep specific games off Nintendo a sufficiently capable next gen Switch that can run the Switch fork of the RE engine will get the ports.

The problem is the next Switch will not close gap if anything it will get bigger because PS and Xbox are not crippled by Jaguar CPU's this time.
That rather depends on clocks and how power is distributed. The A57 at 1GHz was also pretty damn rough; Nintendo has a lot of ground to potentially leap there. They should also be closer to or actually matching the current consoles' core counts, which will help too.

I can’t possibly debate this one with you - I’m just not knowledgeable enough. But I’d been told earlier in this thread that it definitely could reduce the gap. DLSS and other reasons cited.

2017-2020 Capcom Switch support was the worst of any JP publisher (if you dont count FromSoft as a publisher). I think that like FromSoft they will keep being on the XSX/PS5/PC lane and Drake will get some dedicated efforts and old ports like Switch has done but there will be more effort from Capcom part just dont think they will fit Drake on their development of AAA titles .

The Dark Souls point is fair, sense we could have at least gotten Dark Souls 2 on Switch, but I think you attribute too much to companies being unwilling for nebulous reasons rather than porting to switch being an expensive and time consuming process. Most of the games that Capcom made that skipped Switch from 2017 to 2020 weren't technically feasible on switch without a massive undertaking, and the results might not be up to the original creators standards, Sense the Capcom have ported a huge portion of their back catalog to switch and released several console exclusives to the thing. I don't think Capcom will skip anything on Switch 2 that can be relatively easily ported to it, something that will hopefully be the case.

That said, I don't know how A78 cores compare to Zen 2. I know it's been stated in the thread before, but I haven't seen benchmarks or anything else showing relative performance. So it might not be super easy compared to Switch to Xbox One.......

Last edited:
I don't know about the 10%. the games that don't come due to technical reasons are games that are from the better supporters. the thing is, there just aren't that many of these. Square Enix has been a good supporter and the biggest issue for drake support would be moneyhats. however long it would take Forspoken and FF16 to come off playstation and PC would but a dent in potential sales/ Capcom is a wildcard though. because they primarily focused on high end games, whether they'll support drake is questionable

Those are really specific numbers, but are their any Japanese games that you can say you’re sure could be ported to switch but just haven’t been? Again, a factor to this isn’t just “is it possible” it’s also “is it insanely expensive to do” and will they make their money back. Something like Doom Eternal or the Witcher 3 were massive undertakings. On top of that sometimes they can’t do it without compromising the games vision in the eyes of the director. All are problems that would likely be solved by the drake switch.

That said, I don't know how A78 cores compare to Zen 2. I know it's been stated in the thread before, but I haven't seen benchmarks or anything else showing relative performance. So it might not be super easy compared to Switch to Xbox One.......
The A57 had an IPC advantage over the jaguar cores

The A78 has a 2.9-3.1x IPC increase over the A57

The Zen 2 has a 2x IPC over the Jaguar cores.

The overall performance of them is dependent on other factors though so….

I disagree. The initial “rumor” report we got was a PS4 base power level with a better CPU, DLSS, and updated architecture. We see games running right now on switch not because of power but because of the architecture and tools available. There are actually early ps4 xb1 games being ported to switch. Early on everyone just assumed switch would get ps360 ports and that’s it. The next switch with Nvidia’s knowledge will take things even further. Honestly DLSS is the game changer Nintendo and switch needs.

Gotcha, so depending on clock speed and core count the A78 cores in Switch Drake could be close enough to the Zen 2 cores in the series S. More to my point then. I guess what I'm saying is Japanese devs aren't skipping Switch just cause, and if the install base and power are their on Drake I don't really doubt they'll release their games there. Hell, Street Fighter 6 is skipping Xbox One, likely for power reasons, not because they don't think the audience is there.

Why would the gap get bigger bigger? Drake isn't getting eight A57 cores, let alone eight A73s. The A57s were actually more performant to Jaguars per Ghz in single threaded performance, while A78s are pretty similar in performance per GHZ to current generation Zen 2.

If we get the 12SM GPU model that was in the leak as expected, it's pretty much right between the highest NX and lowest AGX model in GPU power, and The most likeliest CPU set up we'll get for Drake then are eight A78 cores. Obviously with ARM cores, they can never be clocked up as high as Zen 2 cores (X Series S is ~3.5Ghz per core). So realistically what we could see is well above 1Ghz per core on the A78s. I'm not expecting 2Ghz, but 1.5-1.75Ghz, especially on a 4nm node is possible.

So if Series S is the LCD and averaging 3.5Ghz per core for 7 cores for gaming, and Switch 2/Drake is 1.5-1.75 for 7 cores for gaming, we're looking at a 2.0-2.3x difference, which i think is the best scenario. I think in the worst case scenario it could widen to 2.8x-3x.

Compare that to Switch vs PS4 base and there's about a 3.5x gap. So it's more likely the gap will be narrowed a bit. 2-3x is possible.

On the flip side, Drake/Switch 2 could match Steam Deck in CPU performance given that Drake is only 3 CPUs at 3.5Ghz (max) vs 7 CPUs at 1.5Ghz per clock in single threaded.

Van Gogh/possible Steam Deck 2's CPU performance is expected to be only 50% faster (25-35% more efficient zen 4 architecture + 4.0Ghz speed) vs steam deck 1.

Gotcha, so depending on clock speed and core count the A78 cores in Switch Drake could be close enough to the Zen 2 cores in the series S.
Not exactly? I mean yes, but the consoles have SMT enabled and that is what helps them achieve better performance, about 20% better perf.

It depends entirely on the application, it’s not linearly applicable for all. Some are better some are worse.

But the A78 isn’t so far that it makes games impossible, and Dave keeps pushing this.

if they have the same core count and clocked competently enough it can work for enough

If no and are clocked stupidly low, then lol.

Last edited:

Does Zen 2 really have just 2x IPC over jaguars? I know we are comparing seven 3.5Ghz vs six 1.6Ghz in pure CPU speeds..

From what I've heard... PS5's CPU is nearly 6x faster than PS4 Jaguars after counting speeds and IPC.

I remember back in the day Eurogamer was predicting 6-7x

Gotcha, so depending on clock speed and core count the A78 cores in Switch Drake could be close enough to the Zen 2 cores in the series S. More to my point then. I guess what I'm saying is Japanese devs aren't skipping Switch just cause, and if the install base and power are their on Drake I don't really doubt they'll release their games there. Hell, Street Fighter 6 is skipping Xbox One, likely for power reasons, not because they don't think the audience is there.
A78s are not gonna go past 2Ghz. Even on a potential 6nm node (I don't know where I got the 4nm. Must have gotten it mixed up with Van Gogh 2), I think realistically we can expect around 1.5-1.7Ghz for 7 cores at the most, if Nintendo really wants to maximize GPU.

The closest we'll get to matching performance is with Steam Deck, which is half of X series S/PS5

Last edited:
Does Zen 2 really have just 2x IPC over jaguars? I know we are comparing seven 3.5Ghz vs six 1.6Ghz in pure CPU speeds..

From what I've heard... PS5's CPU is nearly 6x faster than PS4 Jaguars after counting speeds and IPC.
~2x IPC with 2.1875x the clock speeds with a 20-30% increase from SMT gives you about 5-6x performance over the 8 jaguar cores that the PS4 had.

But Jaguar to Zen 2 is about 2x IPC

Also, the PS4 used about 6.5, nothing indicates that the PS5 is using only 1 core like the Xbox for the OS, though that’s a muddy subject that I prefer not to delve into that because it’s just speculative.

But for BC titles, it should be 6.5 cores available to games unless patched to take more use of the PS5 hardware.

~2x IPC with 2.1875x the clock speeds with a 20-30% increase from SMT gives you about 5-6x performance over the 8 jaguar cores that the PS4 had.

Also, the PS4 used about 6.5, nothing indicates that the PS5 is using only 1 core like the Xbox for the OS, though that’s a muddy subject that I prefer not to delve into that because it’s just speculative.

But for BC titles, it should be 6.5 cores available to games unless patched to take more use of the PS5 hardware.
oh I see. SMT is the missing link.

Does Steam Deck have this as well or is only half (10-15%), considering it has half the cores as current gen?

I see.

If we count SMT (1.3x) for Zen 2 with it's IPC efficiency (2x) over jaguar vs A78's 3x, then A78s performance per GHz is only about 15-25% better, right? Not taking the A57 vs Jaguar <15% performance into account..

How is the A78 is vs Zen 2 in multi threading?
Wait, are we talking A78 vs Zen2 being 15-25% better per GHz in Single Threaded workloads or versus Jaguar?

In the case of calculating A78's Multithreaded performance, general practice is to multiply it as ARM lacks SMT

I see.

If we count SMT (1.3x) for Zen 2 with it's IPC efficiency (2x) over jaguar vs A78's 3x, then A78s performance per GHz is only about 15-25% better, right? Not taking the A57 vs Jaguar <15% performance into account..

How is the A78 is vs Zen 2 in multi threading?
You can’t really compare them on per GHz like that per se. A78 at like 3GHz is about close the Zen 2 at 4.1GHz.

In single threaded. None of the consoles operate at that though.

Multithreading is where Zen 2 shines better clearly, hard to give an exact number, but I’d wager at their highest for both, it would be twice as performant at best over the A78?

SMT at the very best can give you 40-50% performance uplift, and at worst 5-10%.

Geekbench for MT for example runs at the most optimal 50% perf increase, not really indicative of how it’ll actually perform mind you in an actual game who wouldn’t see 50%, but more in the 20 to 30% tops uplift.

Last edited:
Depends on Nintendo wanting it, like it happened with Dark Souls Remastered
If Nintendo is paying for it sure or heavily incentivizes then sure. But, outside that then as you put later I don’t see FromSoft or BN doing it themselves.
why? Eldin Ring is a shoe in for the Switch successor. It runs fine on base PS4/xbone.

If we are lucky we'll see 64GB carts (and maybe a $70 price point at the worst case scenario) eventually, but what I'm also thinking is that besides compressing the data to make it smaller, they will also require partial downloads from eShop as well. It would be nice if Nintendo offered high storage right off the bat like 250GB to 1TB, but they likely isn't happening and we'll have to rely on SD cards most likely.

But people will absolutely buy a handheld eldin Ring, if that's the major sell point. I know it runs on steam deck already. But with DLSS enabled , we could see it surpass Steam Deck in performance.
Why? Aside from a politics view, technically wise it must be doable to have a next Switch HW version. Its been one of the most successful third party japanese titles worldwide on the last few years.

If I were Nintendo I would try hard to pushed for an elder ring complete version port ready for launch window.

In addition, I would also try to push harder to get Capcom fully on board. They aim to the biggest japanese publisher worldwide
Cause it has nothing to do with technical aspects of the machine. The Switch could have gotten DS 2 & 3 yet didn’t. DS 1 was such a mess marketing wise that I doubt Nintendo wants to attempt something like that again. The only way this game is coming to Drake is if Nintendo pays for it and/or heavily incentivizes both FromSoft or BN. As @Blue Monty said, really anyone paying attention to JP sales threads, FromSoft & internal BN aren’t going to bother doing it themselves. In addition to Nintendo generally not paying for older ports of games regardless of how big they are. It’s not just “aside from politics” because even if the machine could run it that would be the reason why.

Something else to note for the less savvy here is that IPC isn't just a flat number either. It's not "about" 2x because of rounding, it's about 2x because the actual number is going to vary a fair amount based on the actual instructions and context they're being called in, while measurements are further impacted by things like differences in cache size and memory bandwidth. The average will certainly give you a decent idea for most games, but it shouldn't be expected to scale perfectly and outliers will exist.

Those are really specific numbers, but are their any Japanese games that you can say you’re sure could be ported to switch but just haven’t been? Again, a factor to this isn’t just “is it possible” it’s also “is it insanely expensive to do” and will they make their money back. Something like Doom Eternal or the Witcher 3 were massive undertakings. On top of that sometimes they can’t do it without compromising the games vision in the eyes of the director. All are problems that would likely be solved by the drake switch.
Every game released by Bandai Bamco that has skipped the Switch. (outside FromSoft stuff)

Last edited:

This is a little OT, therefore I'll keep it quick-ish.

Capcom is pursuing 3 growth opportunities: overseas (vs. Japan), digital (vs. physical), and "catalog titles" (vs. new releases; similar to Nintendo's cultivation of evergreen titles). Their management seems to believe that by going hard on PC, they can achieve growth in all 3 areas (overseas, digital, and catalog titles).

pdf_11.png

In the Nikkei interview, Haruhiro Tsujimoto (President and COO) also argued that PC gaming are growing in the emerging markets (machine translated):
  • "With people in emerging countries having smartphones, the game population is increasing at a stretch and the market is expanding. However, I'm looking beyond my smartphone."
  • "In emerging countries, many people will first pick up a smartphone as a necessity in their daily lives. Consoles are also important, but I see PCs coming next."
For the reasons above, Capcom is betting on being PC first (day-and-date or late port to consoles) to grow their PC sales significantly and reach parity with the console sales (50:50). They did not said that their console releases would decrease.

While none of the above is a bad assumption, the objective of reaching PC-console sales parity in mere 1-2 years seems extremely optimistic. For Ubisoft for example:

8MLy87L.png

And EA:

GglBzCu.png

Not sure why Capcom thinks that they can do better than Ubisoft and EA in boosting the PC vs. console sales ratio. When an analyst asked how Capcom will grow its PC user base, here's their reply (official transcript):

"While producing high-quality content is a given, we believe that pursuing the Media business in parallel to game software sales will be effective in further raising brand awareness with users globally. We look to expand our PC user base by working to enhance brand value through the synergetic effects of games and movies."

ntipykqjpyl227boqdr5.jpg

Tales of Arise? Perhaps they could but it would hardly look the same
I don't see ToA being more impressive than DB:Kakarot and the last one made it to the system. They would need to touch on a lot of the lighting/effects but they had time to so, they spent 1 year making next-gen versions

Every game released by Bandai Bamco that has skipped the Switch. (outside FromSoft stuff)

So what you’re saying is you think Scarlett Nexus, Tales of Arise, and Project Cars 3 could all be ported to switch with minimal effort, and you’re confident in that? Dispute if you just hop on Bandai Namco’s website and just count the games they release, the majority of them are on Switch?

So what you’re saying is you think Scarlett Nexus, Tales of Arise, and Project Cars 3 could all be ported to switch with minimal effort, and you’re confident in that? Dispute if you just hop on Bandai Namco’s website and just count the games they release, the majority of them are on Switch?
Not minimal effort, but that the sales of the product on Switch would be enough to offset the costs of the port and Bamco has access to multiple partners that do Switch ports and it's not a DOOM Eternal/Witcher situation, it's a decision they make to not make Switch ports even late ports. The majority of Bamco games that release on Switch are not made by Bandai Namco Studios, in fact outside of contracted work by Nintendo 0 games made by BNS during Switch lifespan have made it to the console outside of God Eater 3 that was developed by Marvelous.

Remember that Alps Alpine patent for an electromagnetic thumbstick that seems to depict the Joy-Con analog stick? There is a new Alps Alpine patent for a clickable circle pad:

JPA%20504090510_i_000003.jpg

JPA%20504090510_i_000005.jpg

JPA%20504090510_i_000004.jpg

I'm not sure if the Steam Deck, GPD, or Aya Neo got enough volume for Alps Alpine to design a new circle pad. Therefore, unless MS, Sony, or Apple is secretly developing a gaming handheld, Nintendo might be the intended client. Could it be for an updated Lite model? That Japanese retail buyer did cryptically tweeted about raising the handheld mode resolution of Xenoblade titles. I shudder to think that instead of Drake, Nintendo would release another weird half-step upgrade (like the OLED Model) to slightly improves the graphic quality of Lite.

Or it may simply be an R&D prototype. Nothing to see here.

This is a little OT, therefore I'll keep it quick-ish.

Capcom is pursuing 3 growth opportunities: overseas (vs. Japan), digital (vs. physical), and "catalog titles" (vs. new releases; similar to Nintendo's cultivation of evergreen titles). Their management seems to believe that by going hard on PC, they can achieve growth in all 3 areas (overseas, digital, and catalog titles).

pdf_11.png

In the Nikkei interview, Haruhiro Tsujimoto (President and COO) also argued that PC gaming are growing in the emerging markets (machine translated):
  • "With people in emerging countries having smartphones, the game population is increasing at a stretch and the market is expanding. However, I'm looking beyond my smartphone."
  • "In emerging countries, many people will first pick up a smartphone as a necessity in their daily lives. Consoles are also important, but I see PCs coming next."
For the reasons above, Capcom is betting on being PC first (day-and-date or late port to consoles) to grow their PC sales significantly and reach parity with the console sales (50:50). They did not said that their console releases would decrease.

While none of the above is a bad assumption, the objective of reaching PC-console sales parity in mere 1-2 years seems extremely optimistic. For Ubisoft for example:

8MLy87L.png

And EA:

GglBzCu.png

Not sure why Capcom thinks that they can do better than Ubisoft and EA in boosting the PC vs. console sales ratio. When an analyst asked how Capcom will grow its PC user base, here's their reply (official transcript):

"While producing high-quality content is a given, we believe that pursuing the Media business in parallel to game software sales will be effective in further raising brand awareness with users globally. We look to expand our PC user base by working to enhance brand value through the synergetic effects of games and movies."

ntipykqjpyl227boqdr5.jpg
Growth area, it's not unusual if they are looking at where they can grow, since they are already strong onconsoles and they have to do minimal work to grow their PC share, relatively speaking.

I also wonder if it's just out of convenience. Targeting PC means the games can go anywhere and everywhere and any exclusivity with a console manufacturer already has a PC SKU anyways. it's win-win. Speculating here now, it possibly also means they may be able to extract a higher price for console exclusivity with a timed delay to the PC release because they would argue they are losing a lot more if the PC is one of their growth markets vs. if it is an afterthought.

I don't think it's as significant as it sounds. Consoles are still their biggest market, but they want to grow their PC business.

Remember that Alps Alpine patent for an electromagnetic thumbstick that seems to depict the Joy-Con analog stick? There is a new Alps Alpine patent for a clickable circle pad:

JPA%20504090510_i_000005.jpg

JPA%20504090510_i_000004.jpg

I'm not sure if the Steam Deck, GPD, or Aya Neo got enough volume for Alps Alpine to design a new circle pad. Therefore, unless MS, Sony, or Apple is secretly developing a gaming handheld, Nintendo might be the intended client. Could it be for an updated Lite model? That Japanese retail buyer did cryptically tweeted about raising the handheld mode resolution of Xenoblade titles. I shudder to think that instead of Drake, Nintendo would release another weird half-step upgrade (like the OLED Model) to slightly improves the graphic quality of Lite.

Or it may simply be an R&D prototype. Nothing to see here.
To me, it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo is doing or incentiving R&D on improving the circle pad, even if they ultimately don't like it enough and stick with sticks for all models.

Even without accounting how much they had to pay to replace drifting joy cons, circle pads would allow them to:
  • Release a clam shell "Switch Pocket"
  • Have the next Lite or any other smaller model to fit in the dock

And while I prefer the joy con stick over 3DS circle pads, it doesn't means the circle pads can't be improved to feel just as good or maybe better even.

@Raccoon
Can't remember if it was you or someone else who expressed a desire for a pocketable Switch Lite with circle pads. This may increase that likelihood.

I'd easily buy such a device as a secondary Switch, especially if it had an OLED screen and was PSP-sized. Would be handy to dig into my retro game collection backlog. The thought of Drake's chip being crammed into such a small shell down the line is enticing.

There is also the possibility that Nintendo announces the platform without any fluff.

Basically, "new Switch coming at the end of the FY, more news will be communicated in January 2023."
I don't see the benefit of them doing that and starting a months long shitstorm. For them anyway. I can see why it would be for our benefit though. I bet the leaks would be fast and furious once Nintendo actually acknowledges its existence.

@Raccoon
Can't remember if it was you or someone else who expressed a desire for a pocketable Switch Lite with circle pads. This may increase that likelihood.

I'd easily buy such a device as a secondary Switch, especially if it had an OLED screen and was PSP-sized. Would be handy to dig into my retro game collection backlog. The thought of Drake's chip being crammed into such a small shell down the line is enticing.
y'know, I could totally see an OLED Lite happening if it were pocketable

With Capcom aiming for growth on PC, I'd expect them to continue developing their scalability to capture a wider portion of users, which would bode well for Drake.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom