• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

We had Super Stable 3D relatively recently, though.
DLSS literally stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling.
Lol I don't think Switch DLSS is as smooth as Switch 4K

Super isn't some inherently outdated word, it's just a word, a word Nvidia ACTIVELY and CONTINUOUSLY uses in marketing, as does Nintendo with Super Nintendo World, Super Mario Bros., Super Smooth Moves, and so much more.
I mean that's a processing component. But a whole device?

Super is both clear AND nostalgic, and not just for one demographic, they literally used SNES marketing cues in New 3DS, a family discontinued all of three years ago
I get it, I absolutely do... it just I think outside of Nintendo fans, it might push them away.
Ok, so when I see the Switch. It is a bit reflective of devices today as opposed to it own previous devices. I am talking strictly from a UX experience and just overall design simplified UI. The name just reflect the main action that merges both of their audiences. Super, I can't help but feel I am getting pulled in the 90s. I can see advance, plus, 2, before super.

Well it looks like the Metro one is true, Avatar has min requirements on Epic Games as a 1070, and min requirements for Star Wars hasnt been released (though i kept seeing 1060 as minimum on some PC benchmark websites for some reason). Min requirements for Talos Principal 2 and Immortals aren't RTX cards either. I'll take your word on UE5 requiring the feature in the future, but until we see that, we got 4/5 games right here that work without RTX, and Metro is an updated port itself. If Sony wanted to, I'm sure they could get it done without RTX.
are you asking about ray tracing or ray tracing hardware? because all the games I mentioned are RT only, they just have a non-HW-accelerated path. most UE5 games with Lumen are also software-based and don't take advantage of RT-hardware, but that can change in the future as Epic gets HW Lumen running even faster.

Where is that Tweet about "we'll be seeing a lot of coming to Xbox Series X, Playstation 5, and Switch 2 this year?"

There won't be, because there is no technology on the horizon that would allow for it to happen.
Theoretically you don't need a new smaller node if you just want to make a SOC with even more parts and have a customer base willing to put up with the diminished battery life--or bigger volume to hold that bigger battery.

Also if Microsoft is truly making their games multiplatform it would be a damn shame if Perfect Dark didn’t get ported to Drake. Same goes for potential future Banjo-Kazooie or Conker games, if they/Rare ever end up using the IP.

Well obviously….we’re talking about all the other important games since you know the floodgates are opening?
what's more important than CoD?

CoD is love
CoD is life

Banjo Threeie tho...

Also if Microsoft is truly making their games multiplatform it would be a damn shame if Perfect Dark didn’t get ported to Drake. Same goes for potential future Banjo-Kazooie or Conker games, if they/Rare ever end up using the IP.
might as well just start putting the rest of the Rare games on NSO

Only Microsoft's game Call of Duty I really really want to play it on current Switch & on next Switch. Other Xbox titles not so much sorry

People need to come to terms with the fact that the Switch 2 screen, while obviously better than the Switch's LCD screen, is still going to be a cheap one not a high quality one. Nate specifically mentioned that the choice of LCD is to save on costs so that Nintendo can take bigger costs in other areas (particularly internal storage).

Best hopes for a Switch 2 with a really good screen would be if both the LCD Switch 2 sells well enough AND nintendo finds enough demand specifically for a "premium" Switch 2 that costs $500+ but has a much better screen.
No doubt it’ll be cheap but what I think a cheap screen from 2017 and a cheap screen from 2024 will be completely different simply becomes better LCD panels and LCD panel tech has probably gotten cheaper in the last 7 years

Now I’m just starting to contemplate on a lot of those Fake Leak names that sounded really cool:

Nintendo ON
Nintendo NEXT
Nintendo GO

Re: potential names-- it's interesting that in the past we took it for granted that new hardware meant the ushering in of some gotta-have-it leap in tech and a boost graphics immediately visible to even the least tech savvy... and the less that fact holds true the more it feels like Nintendo got ahead of the game by pushing new features over more horsepower to sell their consoles.

That's why I think it feels strange to imagine them going with a name like New Switch, Switch 2, Super Switch, it feels odd expecting the next big Nintendo console, not just an updated model, that one big thing that's supposed to represent what's next for the company, to rely on just... well, better graphics...

I think even if the general consensus is that more games is all that's truly needed for Nintendo to keep printing money it's difficult for me to imagine that being their tactic-- even if there's a chance it is-- simply because it seems to go against their entire thing right now. It's new territory.

More than anything all I'm trying to say is "huh, makes ya think" though if I were truly placing bets I'm picturing a built in camera, some sort of VR/AR and portability thing, apps and features to make on-the-go a notable experience and a dart-throw of a name guess being the Switch Nomad or Switch Go. That or maybe I'm just nostalgic for StreetPass...

No doubt it’ll be cheap but what I think a cheap screen from 2017 and a cheap screen from 2024 will be completely different simply becomes better LCD panels and LCD panel tech has probably gotten cheaper in the last 7 years
Yeah like I said it'll obviously be better than the Switch one but don't expect anything beyond what the PS Portal has (1080 60hz cheap).

if I were truly placing bets I'm picturing a built in camera, some sort of VR/AR and portability thing,
Like the IR Motion Camera, AR Kit and Nintendo Switch Lite? 😅

The problem with trying to stuff more gimmicks in is that while Nintendo Switch's core appeal is very tied up in being a "normal" console that happens to be a portable, it's also stuffed to the brim with gimmicks across its three models. Every Nintendo Switch except the Lite comes with a built in camera already! It's on the Joy-Con (R).

The question is where do we go from here other than MORE. MORE graphics. MORE motion controls. More features to enable more experiences, without taking away from either mode or the core appeal.

The options in that are slim, though, cameras on the system limit its home console appeal, while putting them on the controller isn't new, Nintendo's done it three generations in a row and haven't released a console without a camera since 2004, which got a camera during its mid gen refresh, AND a camera accessory.

Improved controls can mean more Labo-like experiences, improved performance means flat out more games can come to it with fewer compromises. But Nintendo Switch is already kind of stacked to the ceiling with features and has "enough" power to do everything from Tetris to Tears of the Kingdom. What else can it be but "more"?

Last edited:
Iterative naming schemes like '2' suggest more to me than just 'this is a more powerful version of 1'.

+1 implies 'the next one' to me. An overall improvement in both power and features. When upgrading from my Pixel 7 from my Pixel 4a I cared more about security updates, OS capabilities and camera features enabled by the hardware than the actual jigawatts, just an example.

I don't literally want the existing Switch but with the chip swapped in for T239. I want 'the next Switch'. So a better OS, controllers, features.. all of it. When visiting the PS5, they put just as much emphasis on loading times, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and 3D audio as they did 'better immersion'. I would expect Nintendo to have similar or more interesting features to advertise.

"How about 'Nintendo Switch Next.'" Not an impossibility but not exactly a future proof name. But it is clearer than a lot of name suggestions that don't immediately communicate that it's a next gen or a vastly better device. For example, including an AR camera and then calling it 'Switch AR' doesn't immediately convey that it's the next gen Switch with exclusive games. It sounds like a peripheral or a DSi type device. You can still call it Nintendo Switch 2 while including and advertising an AR feature.

Whats the entire point of a company? To make money.

What if you reach 30% more (throwing a nice low number) customers by releasing on a platform (PC) that has an install base of 750 million globally vs. your 130ish million? I think this is a safe estimate and easily achieved.

What if that extra revenue more than offsets any opportunity cost of customers who would have bought your console if it wasnt for the fact that you released whatever games on PC? We know Nintendo fans will buy Nintendo consoles. That will never disppear. Not all games need to utilize the console gimmick either and not all games need be ported. Throwing out those 2-3 million sellers for some extra cash on PC while leaving the big fish for the console is just GOOD business. Very few buy a switch for clubhouse games or Fire emblem.

These are the questions Nintendo must answer to shareholders when and if Sony/Microsoft are successful with putting their games on other platforms.
That's mediocre business, actually.

q46edC8.png

Some extra money is better than none, but it's generally ports of the more popular exclusive IPs that tend to do well on PC. You either fully commit to a multiplatform strategy or not at all, IMO.

For now, Nintendo can keep doing what they're doing because their hardware is still fairly unique (though the Switch is their most ordinary console since the GameCube, and they will probably try to innovate again with the successor or its follow-up to rectify this) and highly profitable, unlike the other two.

Iterative naming schemes like '2' suggest more to me than just 'this is a more powerful version of 1'.

+1 implies 'the next one' to me. An overall improvement in both power and features. When upgrading from my Pixel 7 from my Pixel 4a I cared more about security updates, OS capabilities and camera features enabled by the hardware than the actual jigawatts, just an example.

I don't literally want the existing Switch but with the chip swapped in for T239. I want 'the next Switch'. So a better OS, controllers, features.. all of it. When visiting the PS5, they put just as much emphasis on loading times, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and 3D audio as they did 'better immersion'. I would expect Nintendo to have similar or more interesting features to advertise.

"How about 'Nintendo Switch Next.'" Not an impossibility but not exactly a future proof name. But it is clearer than a lot of name suggestions that don't immediately communicate that it's a next gen or a vastly better device. For example, including an AR camera and then calling it 'Switch AR' doesn't immediately convey that it's the next gen Switch with exclusive games. It sounds like a peripheral or a DSi type device. You can still call it Nintendo Switch 2 while including and advertising an AR feature.
I don't see them changing the OS fundamentally, given the sheer amount of next gen "stuff" and unused this and thats they've stuffed into it already, but improvements exclusive to next gen, like themes, faster everything, maybe some more layout options.

Improved controls can mean more Labo-like experiences, improved performance means flat out more games can come to it with fewer compromises. But Nintendo Switch is already kind of stacked to the ceiling with features and has "enough" power to do everything from Tetris to Tears of the Kingdom. What else can it be but "more"?

That's kind of my point-- none of these features are entirely new and, true, it kind of feels like it's all been done before, but it's also totally on brand for Nintendo to advertise some maybe-gimmicky, maybe-neat, often forgettable features as their selling point over "it's what you like but better!" It's also entirely likely that tactic changes with the Switch follow-up and to your point-- how could it not, what's is there besides more? Interesting times...

I'm down for Nintendo to surprise us on that front, and they've done that time and again-- but to my shallow imagination the one thing I can think of them "adding" or "changing" is to bring some Wii QOL type experiences to portable, bring back the camera and play the VR game even if Nintendo could never compete. Not me saying that's some revolutionary ground-- just an idea of them trying to set this thing apart from the Switch.

There won't be, because there is no technology on the horizon that would allow for it to happen.

They won't not just because the switch brand is really popular, but simply because the next console is an iteration of the switch concept.

Also Switch 4K, Switch second model all sounds like pro model names even more than Super Switch.
I still don't think it will be called Switch 2 but I have to admit that I really can't think of a word they could put after Switch that clearly communicates that it's new console.
Switch Advance and Super Switch are the best I can think of.
that's not true as Nvidia's next mobile SOC after Orin is Thor which is due as early as next year. perfect for a mid-gen refresh if Nintendo were to have their own custom gaming version again. and with Drake's emphasis on DLSS they could have this 'Pro' revision running the same software at higher presets, along with a better screen etc. many options available if refreshing the hardware more often became a thing, which i think it absolutely should after the success of the Switch.

Last edited:
That's kind of my point-- none of these features are entirely new and, true, it kind of feels like it's all been done before, but it's also totally on brand for Nintendo to advertise some maybe-gimmicky, maybe-neat, often forgettable features as their selling point over "it's what you like but better!" It's also entirely likely that tactic changes with the Switch follow-up and to your point-- how could it not, what's is there besides more? Interesting times...

I'm down for Nintendo to surprise us on that front, and they've done that time and again-- but to my shallow imagination the one thing I can think of them "adding" or "changing" is to bring some Wii QOL type experiences to portable, bring back the camera and play the VR game even if Nintendo could never compete. Not me saying that's some revolutionary ground-- just an idea of them trying to set this thing apart from the Switch.
One idea that's been stuck in my head as regards QOL is that the Joy-Con already HAVE a mode to be used independent of the Switch- it's press and hold the control stick button (if you notice, this button doesn't cause the sync LEDs to light up either, because it's used to trigger this alternative mode). This is used for Ring-Fit Adventure, to count reps while the Switch is in sleep mode as you do other things, like watch TV.

I think expanding on this alt mode could bear interesting fruit. Different games could use it in different ways, like Ring Fit 2, you press the stick in and it tracks your activity as a pedometer, or put it on the Ring-Con to count reps. For Pokémon, use it as a Pokéwalker, like Pokéball Plus. Pop a Pokémon into your Joy-Con while playing Legends Unova, pop it in your pocket, open Pokémon Go, and the Joy-Con tracks your steps, catches Pokémon and spins Pokéstops for you. Lay it on your pillow and use it to track sleep in Pokémon Sleep, then transfer that data from Sleep to the main game on the console by just attaching the controller.

Run with your thumb on the IR Motion Camera to track your pulse and activity, then log it in a new Wii Fit Series game.

Save control schemes to it in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and have them automatically show up when you bring it to a friend's place.

Keep you using a part of the system, even when you're not playing on it.

But please, never being back the rear camera. Cameras should go on the controllers, or else they're just gone when you're in TV mode. This is a hybrid system, not a handheld system that happens to dock.

The quandary with Nintendo releasing games on PC is that the Nintendo ecosystem is so insular the only properties of theirs that would sell really well on PC are the blockbuster hits they entice hardware sales with. The gameplay of Fire Emblem and Pikmin would be well suited to a PC but I doubt they would really reach many people who aren't already in Nintendo's ecosystem. I could see the majority of sales coming from people who already play them on Nintendo systems rebuying to play it on better specs or for modding. It wouldn't yield enough new sales to really move the needle and it wouldn't do much to expand the audience for those series either so what would be the point?

Another thing that should be noted in this discussion is that Nintendo is not in the same position as Microsoft or Sony. Sony is looking into PC releases because the games they make have absurdly high budgets that need to sell millions and millions of units at full price to break even. The point of PlayStation Studios games being released on PC is to try and bolster profits that are really pretty low for how much revenue PlayStation generates. Microsoft is partly the same but I think they're motivated more by pure desperation to remain even a little competitive than by anything else. Nintendo spends considerably less per game they make and as a result are the most profitable of the three by a longshot. I'm sure some investors will push for PC releases of existing games but most will probably look at the figures of PlayStation games on PC and be fine with leaving that money on the table table if it means not compromising Nintendo's brand.

Instead of re-releasing games on PC I could see Nintendo taking a similar approach to what they did with mobile games: releasing completely original games of existing IPs made to cater to that specific ecosystem. Maybe something like a Fire Emblem skinned variant of Age of Empires or Total War. They could treat PC gaming as a little side project to supplement their console portfolio (and to make investors shut up about it). But as long as their hardware continues to sell as well as it does I don't see them ever porting games to PC.

@Concernt Not too long ago there was talk about about Nintendo NYC getting new tv screens in their store, right? Which led to speculation that it could have meant something interesting. I read some of your posts, and I found them interesting. I do agree it is kinda suspicious that a store with a main huge link to Nintendo uses new screens, while the older screens were perfectly fine, and the new screens were a bit on the off side, if I'm not mistaken?

I haven't caught up much after that, since I had some busy days, but Nintendo NYC is indeed preparing for the new hardware, by already having new screens, I do want to question your opinion of what you think how long we have to wait for the reveal? Could it be perhaps sooner than we think and be in february, or do you think it doesn't have effect at all, and they can easily stretch that time till march?

@Concernt Not too long ago there was talk about about Nintendo NYC getting new tv screens in their store, right? Which led to speculation that it could have meant something interesting. I read some of your posts, and I found them interesting. I do agree it is kinda suspicious that a store with a main huge link to Nintendo uses new screens, while the older screens were perfectly fine, and the new screens were a bit on the off side, if I'm not mistaken?

I haven't caught up much after that, since I had some busy days, but Nintendo NYC is indeed preparing for the new hardware, by already having new screens, I do want to question your opinion of what you think how long we have to wait for the reveal? Could it be perhaps sooner than we think and be in february, or do you think it doesn't have effect at all, and they can easily stretch that time till march?
I'm not an insider, why are you asking me? 😅

I think I've gone over my thoughts on the screen and what it means plenty. I don't think it exactly tells us that the reveal is soon, but I think it's pretty hard to justify it if it's only for Switch games, so that implies it's at least some amount of future proofing.

That said, I always think the reveal is soon and continue to do so. An upcoming Nintendo event that's simultaneously widely leaked and under such tight lock and key nobody knows the date or time? One where the format is apparently known but won't be said for some unknown reason? Share prices climbing ahead of an investor call that could be nothing but "sales were disappointing, please understand", while a shareholder claims they're "very" excited for the coming week?

I'm not saying any of these people have so much as IMPLIED the next week has a reveal, but take the situation as a whole and it does make me wonder. With sales of Nintendo Switch declining, what on earth could excite an investor and continue a significant increase in share price except for a new platform, when the company is so dependent on its platform for profitability.

I think, very seriously, that there's a chance the upcoming presentation is either a reveal or a cross-gen direct, after a reveal earlier in the week. Like reveal on Monday ahead of the investor call, announce games coming to the new system on Wednesday in a Direct-like presentation.

I'm not sure this outcome is LIKELY but like, we can't pretend Nintendo can't spring this on us out of the blue like that, and if it's anything like the Switch reveal we won't hear any "smoke" until minutes or hours before it happens- or none at all! We've already had more leaks and reports on this thing than could ever have been expected, I think it's time for the reveal. 🥲

But please, never being back the rear camera. Cameras should go on the controllers, or else they're just gone when you're in TV mode. This is a hybrid system, not a handheld system that happens to dock.

Ehh, on that front the one thing they could easily do is expect the console to live in front of your TV, though I totally understand why many gamers with their carefully pruned TV setups would despise that idea-- or maybe just pack in an external camera? This is me totally making up features btw, hahahaha.

Though I personally kind of like the Switch & dock acting as something like an Amazon Echo or Google Nest Hub type device that can also be brought on the go, but maybe that's just me being nostalgic for Wii era nonsense. It also reads like a thing Nintendo could conceivably see as a selling point for the slew of casual gamers who are all in on the Switch right now.

I'm not an insider, why are you asking me? 😅
Ah no I know, I only remember you from that topic of conversation about the new screens, but had such little time to read further. :p

Anyways, thanks for the response. I haven't really caught up by some shareholders talk the last 2 weeks. If one is particulary excited for upcoming week, that's nice, but I'll try to hold up my expectations. But then again, the excitement porlly come from the upcoming shareholders meeting, where the system is probably hinted at?

Although, the fact the format of an event isn't talked about seems a bit curious/suspicious to me. Even the time and date isn't clear, and Pyoro doesn't know stuff is also a bit weird.

As for me, I tought it would've been revealed around january, and I could hold my hopes up for a reveal soon, yet I have no clue anymore. I'll just float through this river and wait with a bit of impatience.

or maybe just pack in an external camera?
Like...

On a controller that can sit flat on its edge?

Like... Joy-Con (R)?

I think improving the IR Motion camera to the point it can be used to track the human body by setting it down on your TV unit or coffee table would be really neat, I won't pretend to lie about that. Better Just Dance, better Ring-Fit, better all sorts!

that's not true as Nvidia's next mobile SOC after Orin is Thor which is due as early as next year. perfect for a mid-gen refresh if Nintendo were to have their own custom gaming version again. and with Drake's emphasis on DLSS they could have this 'Pro' revision running the same software at higher presets, along with a better screen etc. many options available if refreshing the hardware more often became a thing, which i think it absolutely should after the success of the Switch.
Thor is going to have an Ada Lovelace GPU as opposed to Drake's Ampere GPU, so it can't be used.

Sony is releasing first party PC games after 1-2 years.
Microsoft (allegedly) will start releasing first party multiplatform games after 1-2 years and PC versions day 1.
Nintendo?

I wouldn't rule out a Nintendo being pressured to do "something" by shareholders/fans if the above two situations make them big money and do not devalue their hardware business. Maybe around the time Switch 3 talk picks up. My guess is Nintendo releasing some "choice" games on PC. Like Fire emblem, Clubhouse games, Advance Wars, and Pikmin. Way less of a chance but Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and pokemon would also be great candidates. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby are all staying exclusive forever.
Yeahhh... that's not happening.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom