• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I said I wasn't policing.

In which way exactly ? Reminding people to be realistic with expectations to not be disappointed when the line up is revealed is friendly advice, not policing or whatever you're implying, and if he had a problem with what I said he would have answered to me directly. Thank you for your intervention though even though it derailed the thread.
You can say you weren't, but you were, and but for his caveat of: "(Sry for bad english btw, this is not my native language)" I wonder if you would have been so condescending in the first place.

In which way exactly ? Reminding people to be realistic with expectations to not be disappointed when the line up is revealed is friendly advice, not policing or whatever you're implying, and if he had a problem with what I said he would have answered to me directly. Thank you for your intervention though even though it derailed the thread.
You're so unserious. "I'm not policing people's opinions, I'm just telling them they're wrong and what they should think" is how this is coming off. You're saying you're not doing something, but rather you're doing its synonym. Biggest eye rolls I've had from this thread in a long time.

You can say you weren't, but you were, and but for his caveat of: "(Sry for bad english btw, this is not my native language)" I wonder if you would have been so condescending in the first place.

English is not my native language either and I wasn't condescending. I was giving friendly advice to a non-english speaker pal. Now move on

What GameCube games are left (not counting Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as GameCube titles).

Unless we're digging deep to StarFox Assault or F-Zero GX.
There’s always been rumours surrounding F-Zero GX getting a HD port, but the likely answer is either Kirby Air ride or Metroid Prime 2 remaster.

For 3DS I can either see it be kid Icarus or Kirby robots, since Kirby is somehow always the last big title for the final year of a Nintendo system.

No need to discuss this way, everything is fine. There are starfox rumours and yes, mp4 is possible, with the release this late, i really think the launch lineup will be pretty good, with one or two surprises, who knows, after all, this is the reason why we are all here and speculate, its fun! 😉

Last edited:
No need to discuss this way, everything is fine. There are starfox rumours and yes, mp4 is possible, with the release this late, i really think the launch lineup will be pretty good, with one or two suprises, who knows, after all, this is the reason why we are all here and speculate, its fun! 😉
Somehow I believe we’ll get a Silksong being a Switch 2 launch title. (Not the main thing, but a nice indie title, similar to snippet clips)

Also I’m guessing the Switch 2 will launch with GameCube on NSO or maybe even sega Dreamcast, to entice people to upgrade, since GameCube nostalgia is at a high.

Also launching with 3D Mario will probably make anybody want the Switch 2, since the graphical leap will be extremely noticeable and also the Mario brand Awareness is unbelievable high.

No need to discuss this way, everything is fine. There are starfox rumours and yes, mp4 is possible, with the release this late, i really think the launch lineup will be pretty good, with one or two suprises, who knows, after all, this is the reason why we are all here and speculate, its fun! 😉

I'd loooove a Starfox game but it might not be the best choice for the launch (especially if there is MP4, two sci-fi AAA games clashing each other might be overkill)

The challenge they will have this gen, which is a big one is no COVID boost. No doubt that buoyed the Switch signficantly. For us that might be a positive though because they're probably almost definitely going to have to release a Switch 2 Pro to maintain even a reasonable pace with the Switch 1. You can't manufacture a COVID surge so you have to do something else.
Honestly, Nintendo should focus on dlss rather than a mid gen console, evolve it to make it more efficient, both in terms of visual and graphic quality with less latency.

There’s always been rumours surrounding F-Zero GX getting a HD port, but the likely answer is either Kirby Air ride or Metroid Prime 2 remaster.

For 3DS I can either see it be kid Icarus or Kirby robots, since Kirby is somehow always the last big title for the final year of a Nintendo system.

Prime 2 by itself is a pretty hard sell as the original game didn’t sell well at all.

Well, I'm speaking from Nintendo's historical precedent with that. Their "next gen" same brand system has always sold much less, whether they fucked it up themselves or simply demand. This is not comparable to PS consoles tbh, they've never exhibited the same drastic gen-on-gen declines like Nintendo usually does... Until the Switch broke that pattern, of course.
Right now it feels different.

For those who haven't gotten their Xbox Series or PS5 are potentially at risk.
  1. The Switch 2 will likely be cheaper then the XSX and PS5.
  2. More expensive then Series S but portable.
  3. Getting the majority of games.
  4. Online service is cheaper.
  5. The obvious Nintendo exclusive.
  6. Depending how much effort Nintendo puts into, potential better back catalogue with roms.

Phil Spencer is a suit. He's also genuinely a gamer, and MS owns both Xbox, a closed platform, and PC, the biggest and most open one.

I think Spencer's commitment to "you should be able to just play your games anywhere" is real. And I think, as a gamer, he loves Nintendo, and as a suit he doesn't see a way to love a company that isn't Adding Your Distinctiveness To Our Own.
Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good guy. I think he is getting too much flack to be honest.

Right now it feels different.

For those who haven't gotten their Xbox Series or PS5 are potentially at risk.
  1. The Switch 2 will likely be cheaper then the XSX and PS5.
  2. More expensive then Series S but portable.
  3. Getting the majority of games.
  4. Online service is cheaper.
  5. The obvious Nintendo exclusive.
  6. Depending how much effort Nintendo puts into, potential better back catalogue with roms.
I don't think any of those things are much of a factor besides the price and exclusives, that's where they can't afford to mess up at all. Being more expensive than Series S is more of a con than an advantage, even though I'd gladly pay it just fine... Not everyone is me or the people in this thread either way.

I don't think any of those things are much of a factor besides the price and exclusives, that's where they can't afford to mess up at all. Being more expensive than Series S is more of a con than an advantage, even though I'd gladly pay it just fine... Not everyone is me or the people in this thread either way.
That’s probably why getting the price right is quite detrimental, like the 3DS early failure was because of the high price and even Reggie mention that his biggest failure as a CEO was probably not convincing Nintendo of Japan of a 200USD price.

Like I’m thinking Nintendo will take more inspiration of the 3DS launch failure and rectify their mistake, with the 3DS, with a consistent game lineup and price.

Like one thing that Nintendo has done right, will always be handheld, with the exception of the 3DS, which luckily was turned around and became quite successful.

Like that’s why a 400$ is the most likely price for the system, it’s the perfect middle ground and it’ll easily convince people to upgrade, with the context that the Oled is 350$ and a 50 difference of a NG system is appealing.

Prime 2 by itself is a pretty hard sell as the original game didn’t sell well at all.
tbh i never liked it anyway, right from the first trailer, this whole concept of light and dark, where you have to jump from safespot to another safespot under time pressure in an ugly dark world never interested me this much,... but a complete remaster like mp1 this time with switch 2 power, raytracing and stuff, i would give it another try when i think about it 🤔

That’s probably why getting the price right is quite detrimental, like the 3DS early failure was because of the high price and even Reggie mention that his biggest failure as a CEO was probably not convincing Nintendo of Japan of a 200USD price.

Like I’m thinking Nintendo will take more inspiration of the 3DS launch failure and rectify their mistake, with the 3DS, with a consistent game lineup and price.

Like one thing that Nintendo has done right, will always be handheld, with the exception of the 3DS, which luckily was turned around and became quite successful.

Like that’s why a 400$ is the most likely price for the system, it’s the perfect middle ground and it’ll easily convince people to upgrade, with the context that the Oled is 350$ and a 50 difference of a NG system is appealing.
For sure, I sincerely don't believe it will cost more than that. It'd just bite them from the get go with a reduced install base and potentially for the rest of its lifespan, more than that would be a miss in my opinion.

You have to add that it contains physical media and it is portable, to me. Which justify the purchase.

For sure, I sincerely don't believe it will cost more than that. It'd just bite them from the get go with a reduced install base and potentially for the rest of its lifespan, more than that would be a miss in my opinion.
The bigger question is probably how much of a price cut the Switch will have, since despite it being in its 8th year, it’s still hasn’t gotten a price cut.

Like I’m wondering if Nintendo will sell the Switch as a budget gaming device, meanwhile market the Switch 2 as a truly NG handheld.

I don’t think anyone is serious when they say all those games will launch with Switch 2 lol

The bigger question is probably how much of a price cut the Switch will have, since despite it being in its 8th year, it’s still hasn’t gotten a price cut.

Like I’m wondering if Nintendo will sell the Switch as a budget gaming device, meanwhile market the Switch 2 as a truly NG handheld.
Same, though I don't know... Are we expecting an official price cut at this stage? It'd be the logical thing to do but Nintendo legit has never bothered to date, if anything lowering its price might have the opposite effect to seeming low value in comparison to the proper next gen. That'd be the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't do it.

Somehow I believe we’ll get a Silksong being a Switch 2 launch title. (Not the main thing, but a nice indie title, similar to snippet clips)

Also I’m guessing the Switch 2 will launch with GameCube on NSO or maybe even sega Dreamcast, to entice people to upgrade, since GameCube nostalgia is at a high.

Also launching with 3D Mario will probably make anybody want the Switch 2, since the graphical leap will be extremely noticeable and also the Mario brand Awareness is unbelievable high.
Oh yes, a new 3d mario with switch 2 graphics could be so good, i hope its some kind of bowsers fury style 😁 imagine a big open world, maybe not so big like botw, but this would be the mushroom kingdom, with 8 big themed worlds in it, desert, fire, ice etc. maybe some new ones, and linear parcours like bowsers fury all over the place, you would see a gigantic tower with moving platforms or something in the distant and you think, ahh, this will be very tough and exciting, i will make this later 😄 Many moons in Odyssey were to uninspired, but the bowsers fury concept could work on a larger scale

Last edited:
I would love a remaster of snowboard kids and diddy kong racing, now that i got my favourite game remaked (ttyd). I also wish nintendo would implement hard modes for their mario jumpn run games in the future, a few harder levels here and there surely arent enough when you beat 80% of the game blindfolded 😅

@Brazil also says in his video that one port for Switch comes from a 3DS game and another one from GameCube — both slated for the next FY and (of course) compatible with Switch 2 via BC
While the 3DS game could definitely be Kid Icarus Uprising, I think there's a strong possibility it's A Link Between Worlds.

I think that's something Grezzo could pop out with relative ease, using their work on Link's Awakening as a basis.

As for the Gamecube game, I could genuinely see them doing something offbeat like Chibi Robo.

Bruv there won't be Mario Kart, 3D Mario and MP4 at launch

It's time to be realistic and keep expectations in check, we would be very lucky to have both MP4 and Mario Kart at launch or in the first 3 months
It's a speculation thread, not a "pessimistically cut down your expectations" thread.

If people tempered their expectations of the Switch's launch lineup based on the Wii U's launch lineup, BoTW would've been laughed off the table.

It's a bad example. N64 was the same gen hardware as PSone and probably more powerful. The Impossible part of the port is squeezing 1.2 GB of data into a cartridge.
Angel Studios got help from Factor 5 to compress the data. And yes, of course they had to do some sacrifices, but still. The results are insane considering what is on the cartdrige.

Did You Know (Gaming) ?
Star Wars Rogue Squadron : Battle for Naboo on N64 isn't using the Rogue Squadron engine. Factor 5 remade the engine from scratch and managed to have a vastely improved draw distance AND a better framerate than the first game. All the dialogue is spoken and oh, there's even a Developer commentary to unlock so you can learn how the game was made. The entire commentary is fully voiced too.

All this on a tiny N64 cartdrige.
That team was amazing, and like John Linemann said, "Factor 5, we really miss your prowess"

does Atlus even remember that they own Snowboard Kids?
Its really a shame that some franchises are buried away, i loved command and conquer, extreme g, banjo kazooie, the ace combat ps2 games and Gradius,... nothing in sight, only a few rumours about banjo kazooie, but i dont even know if iam a fan of collectathons anymore, pure platforming feels better for me at the moment than searching stuff, but i would give it a try of course

Angel Studios got help from Factor 5 to compress the data. And yes, of course they had to do some sacrifices, but still. The results are insane considering what is on the cartdrige.

Did You Know (Gaming) ?
Star Wars Rogue Squadron : Battle for Naboo on N64 isn't using the Rogue Squadron engine. Factor 5 remade the engine from scratch and managed to have a vastely improved draw distance AND a better framerate than the first game. All the dialogue is spoken and oh, there's even a Developer commentary to unlock so you can learn how the game was made. The entire commentary is fully voiced too.

All this on a tiny N64 cartdrige.
That team was amazing, and like John Linemann said, "Factor 5, we really miss your prowess"
All you did with your post is made me want a star wars 64 game on the NSO. In fact, all of it.

The thing is, no one that truly matters cares about the Series S. And if price was ever a factor, the Switch would have never gained traction when the PS4 was priced $100 cheaper at it's launch.

I don't really think the acquisition is related to Switch 1 games, but the obvious answer to "how long will Nintendo keep publishing Switch 1 games" has always been "as long as they keep selling and they have development capacity to make them". That going away has happened to correlate strongly to successor launches more often than not in their recent history, but I think their history shows they will keep going more or less indefinitely if they're still getting returns on the investment. It certainly wouldn't be all their games, but a decent chunk of them, especially when it comes to re-releases and types of games that are historically more handheld-aligned.

I was a joke about the gamecube game being Luigi's Mansion, and the 3DS port being the remake of Luigi's Mansion
yeah someone else pointed out there was also a LM on 3DS, that makes sense now because the only LM I owned on 3DS was LM2: DM, so I got confused for a minute.

While the 3DS game could definitely be Kid Icarus Uprising, I think there's a strong possibility it's A Link Between Worlds.

I think that's something Grezzo could pop out with relative ease, using their work on Link's Awakening as a basis.

As for the Gamecube game, I could genuinely see them doing something offbeat like Chibi Robo.
I think a Tomodachi Life remaster that inherits the makeup from Miitopia is also a distinct possibility.

Maybe a cross-gen Genshin Impact release? That's a game that was announced for Switch, then had nothing since. Maybe a dedicated studio like Shiver would be enough to get it on Switch?
I don't see it happening. Genshin isn't your typical rpg, it's a gacha game and Hoyoverse isn't going to hand over developer assets to anyone for the sake of porting. And Switch's CPU is nowhere near fast enough to handle the spaghetti code.

I don't really think the acquisition is related to Switch 1 games, but the obvious answer to "how long will Nintendo keep publishing Switch 1 games" has always been "as long as they keep selling and they have development capacity to make them".
I'm reminded of when Nintendo in mid-2018 was confident enough in the longevity of the 3DS that they planned "new software for release in 2019 and beyond". In spite of the Switch's success over the previous year, they were still comfortable with supporting the 3DS with remakes and budget projects from external teams, even if they overestimated just how long the demand for that would really last. (Pour one out for AlphaDream.)

Of course, this time Nintendo has the benefit of any Switch games they make being playable on their successor, so if a similar nosedive happens for OG Switch sales and engagement, they can still just release whatever titles they put together as is, instead of needing to completely rework or scrap them.

The idea of post April 2025 remakes/remasters is an interesting one. Mario vs Donkey Kong is the kind of game that feels like a proper fit for where were are in the Switch's lifecycle, and something like Tomodachi Life would be a welcome entry in that vein.

But now I'm imagining Tomadachi Life not as a late-gen Switch 1 game, but an early Switch 2, cross-gen game, and it suddenly feels wildly out of place. A game like Kid Icarus Uprising which would require a substantial control rework - which, lets face it, Sakurai would insist on doing himself - feels like a "not late stage Switch 1 game" but as a cross-gen game, suddenly appeals.

Though I also have trouble with the idea of something of Dark Moon HD slotting into a slot 6 months after the launch of brand new hardware. It might be a handsome 3DS game, but to go into the launch window of a new console, it feels extremely bare bones. I have no problem with cross gen between the wildly disparate power levels of Switch/Switch 2, but a game which looks a little weak on even Switch 1 hardware probably isn't a great sell.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom