• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

As a pisspoor person i hope it takes a bit more timr for the pro to be launched lmao
I don't think an early launch of the upgraded model would be disadvantageous to people with lack of disposable income. Since it is mostly bought by early adopters who already have Switches, the second hand market will be flooded with current Switch SKUs, driving prices down.

the more I think about it, the more I like the name "Switch 4K"

like, after the strikingly utilitarian "Switch OLED Model" I think nintendo isn't afraid of dropping a little technical talk into a product name

The 2018 rumors were not the same rumors and not about the same potential product as the 2020 rumors... I don't understand why some people simply can't accept that some of us enjoy discussing rumors as they pop up and understand that each one is nuanced and different, and not all lumped together as one single "Switch pro rumor".

The problem tends to be that the people who get tired of these rumors don't actually pay enough attention to them to understand what they're saying.
For me, although those rumours ended up being different products the information we got from those leaks or rumours lead us to believe it was about more powerful hardware. Such as in 2019 when we heard about an enhanced Switch for enthusiast gamers or whatever, I know a hell of a lot of us took that to mean a switch with more powerful hardware was coming out in 2019 rather than something with better battery and discussed it as such. So it has gotten a bit tiring for me because it feels like the product we're all speculating on is further and further down the road each time.

Even though the rumours have ended up being correct and they were about other things such as the 2019 model with better battery or the oled in 2021 the information that we had for those rumours has had us believing a pro model might be coming out since 2019. I don't think it's crazy for some people to be a bit tired of it. Especially if they're like me and actually want new hardware.

I remember hoping back in 2019 a pro would be out in time for Dragon Quest and I'm still here hoping in 2022.

I still believe in it personally and I think it'll be out relatively soon because that makes sense to me but I really really don't want to see that we're still discussing things in 2024 because the hardware still isn't out.

like, after the strikingly utilitarian "Switch OLED Model" I think nintendo isn't afraid of dropping a little technical talk into a product name
Utilitarian is fine but i want a silly Nintendo name to go with it. I want Switch advance.

Utilitarian is fine but i want a silly Nintendo name to go with it. I want Switch advance.
I love Switch Advance. It rhymes so well with the Game Boy line, where the Game Boy Advance is a more powerful iterative successor to the original Game Boy, just as I expect Drake to be.

I feel like Switch 4K undersells the power of this new hardware. They can go with whatever name they want, but if I had a preference, I'd want something that communicates that this is a beefier mobile device where 4K output is just one benefit. Plus, Advance, Pro, Max, etc. all work.

Yes, just trying to answer your question directly. But to riff a little bit/a lot...

I am very confident that Nintendo intended to launch a New Switch in fall of this year, that they contracted 3rd parties to build launch games for the device, and that those third parties had not received a change in the launch schedule of fall of last year. I think to look at the set of facts on the ground and come away with a radically different theory is at best an unconvincing interpretation of the data.

I have very little confidence that I know Nintendo's plan now, what 3rd parties are currently being told, or the eventual launch timing of the device. I'm just shooting in the dark like everyone else who isn't an actual journalist or insider. The general assumption seems to be that Nintendo's plans have changed, which I think is probably true but even that is still guessing. Maybe they haven't at all!

I am modestly confident that if Nintendo's plans have shifted, they are not primarily driven by consumer demand for the Classic Switch. Nintendo was telling Devs that there as a 2022 launch date as recently as ~6 months ago. Have the sales of fiscal 2021 been so far beyond Nintendos expectation that they would change direction now? I don't buy it. I do buy that if Nintendo is pushed to delay the revision, that the sales of the Current Switch make that decision much easier.

I do believe that any number of hardware, software, or political issues could delay the device. I am mixed on the effect of the chip shortage being a driver - I think the writing was on the wall a while ago, and Nintendo was telling partners 6 months ago that they were on schedule. But it isn't inconceivable to me that Nintendo saw a chance of making it and didn't want to spook partners.

I am only modestly confident that Drake is the revision. Occam's razor suggests it is, but I don't think folks who say "Drake looks like a successor, and I don't see how they cram that thing into a Switch case, perhaps there is a revision that is more modest out there and the two devices are being mixed up, like the OLED" are mad conspiracy theorists. It would neatly explain why Drake seems almost untenably beefy, but again, I'm modestly confident that it's just one device. Modestly.

These are my prior assumptions when talking about The Next Nintendo Thingy. I realize this is a deep tangent from your original post, but I get frustrated when people confuse fact for analysis, and analysis for predictions.

I don't see any specific evidence which suggests that Nintendo's plans have shifted. Our personal expectations may have shifted, but that doesn't necessarily mean any change on Nintendo's part, just the information available to us. In particular (although I'm not ascribing this to you, just a general point that has been brought up a lot), a lot of people have taken the Nvidia leaks as an indication that the hardware has been pushed back, or completely redesigned, because it's a much larger GPU than any of us were expecting. When reconciling it with our previous expectations that it would be an 8nm chip with a much smaller GPU, it's tempting to think that the smaller 8nm chip must have existed at some point, but was replaced by this more powerful chip on a more advanced node. However it's far more likely that our earlier speculation was simply wrong, and Drake was always planned to be exactly as it is. Even the manufacturing process is still nothing but speculation, and we're inferring a change of plan on Nintendo's part based on a change from one piece of speculation to another.

Personally, I would expect that the decision to make the new model (whether it's a revision or a successor or whatever) would have been finalised some time in the second half of 2019 or the first half of 2020. This is just based on a roughly 3 year timeline needed to bring out a new device with a semi custom SoC. Therefore, both the release timeline and the design of the hardware would have likely been based on Nintendo's pre-covid projections for Switch, or at the very least it wouldn't have accounted for continued high sales into 2021 and 2022. Substantial changes to the SoC in particular after this point would have been both very expensive and would have caused long delays (potentially a year or more), and there's no evidence to suggest this has happened. In fact, as far as I'm aware there are NVN2/Drake references in the Nvidia leak going back to 2019, which would corroborate the idea that work started pre-covid.

So, with the design being settled pre-covid, and there being no evidence of a change in plans from Nintendo's part, I would agree that the bumper hardware sales over the past couple of years haven't changed Nintendo's plans. It would make it easier for them to delay a few months, but there's no reason to believe they've pushed it back multiple years or called for a significant change in the design. In particular I think the most important factor to Nintendo isn't actually hardware sales anyway, it's software sales. That's where they make the majority of their profit, and it's a more meaningful metric of the engagement of their audience.

Usually software sales peak later than hardware and trail off more slowly, but it's worth noting that this time last year, coming off a record year of Switch sales, Nintendo actually forecast an almost 18% decline in software sales for the subsequent financial year (see page 9 here). That forecast has been changed since, but as of their most recent forecast in January (page 8 here) they were still predicting a year on year decline in software sales. With hardware sales down from FY21 to FY22, it would be expected that their FY23 forecast would almost certainly predict a drop in software sales again. What's interesting is that, during a period when they expect software sales to decrease, they've just started reporting a "Annual Playing Users" figure in their most recent report. This is very likely to track closely to software sales, so it seems strange that they would introduce it at a point where they expect it to start going down.

When asked about this in the accompanying financial briefing (page 3 here), Furukawa included this in his response:
There are currently nearly 100 million annual playing users, and going forward, it is important to consider how we can maintain and expand on that number. This will also be essential when we consider our plan for the next hardware platform.
I don't want to read too much into what "next hardware platform" means specifically, but it does seem that keeping a high number of annual playing users is important to Nintendo, and that it factors into their hardware planning.

I think the traditional approach to new gaming hardware is often misconstrued as "wait until hardware sales fall off a cliff, then introduce new hardware", whereas in reality it has more nuance, in that hardware manufacturers have tried to predict when software sales will fall off, and try to introduce new hardware at a point where the profit lost from cannibalising software sales on the old hardware is made up by the profit gained by new software sales the new hardware can generate. With the lines of software ecosystems blurring or disappearing altogether between generations, though, I don't think that approach really applies any more.

For Nintendo in their current circumstance, they have told us their focus is on maintaining active users, as these users will buy software which makes profit. As the software ecosystem will be shared between the Switch and this new model, the question isn't about the new model cannibalising the old one, but rather how they can most effectively grow the number of active users on their software ecosystem. The logical answer to that is that new hardware should be introduced at the point where old hardware can no longer continue to grow the active user base. For Switch, that time is likely in the next year or so. Even back in late 2019, if you asked Nintendo when the Switch would hit that point, they likely would have said in late 2022 or thereabouts. The absolute size of the active user base is higher than they would have expected, but I don't think the timing of the drop has changed all that much.

For me, although those rumours ended up being different products the information we got from those leaks or rumours lead us to believe it was about more powerful hardware. Such as in 2019 when we heard about an enhanced Switch for enthusiast gamers or whatever, I know a hell of a lot of us took that to mean a switch with more powerful hardware was coming out in 2019 rather than something with better battery and discussed it as such. So it has gotten a bit tiring for me because it feels like the product we're all speculating on is further and further down the road each time.

Even though the rumours have ended up being correct and they were about other things such as the 2019 model with better battery or the oled in 2021 the information that we had for those rumours has had us believing a pro model might be coming out since 2019. I don't think it's crazy for some people to be a bit tired of it. Especially if they're like me and actually want new hardware.

I remember hoping back in 2019 a pro would be out in time for Dragon Quest and I'm still here hoping in 2022.

I still believe in it personally and I think it'll be out relatively soon because that makes sense to me but I really really don't want to see that we're still discussing things in 2024 because the hardware still isn't out.
I'm not really begrudging anyone who's tired of hearing about a nebulous "Switch pro", rather I'm trying to point out why some of us are still engaged in these rumors and enjoying it, since some people seemingly can't quite understand why we're still anticipating this "Switch pro" which has supposedly been supposed to come out since 2018.

The fact of the matter is there have been a number of disparate rumors that have all had some element of truth to them one way or the other, and they paint a fascinating picture of Nintendo's thought process behind revisions and hardware in general and some of us find that quite interesting and compelling.

I don't see any specific evidence which suggests that Nintendo's plans have shifted. Our personal expectations may have shifted, but that doesn't necessarily mean any change on Nintendo's part, just the information available to us. In particular (although I'm not ascribing this to you, just a general point that has been brought up a lot), a lot of people have taken the Nvidia leaks as an indication that the hardware has been pushed back, or completely redesigned, because it's a much larger GPU than any of us were expecting. When reconciling it with our previous expectations that it would be an 8nm chip with a much smaller GPU, it's tempting to think that the smaller 8nm chip must have existed at some point, but was replaced by this more powerful chip on a more advanced node. However it's far more likely that our earlier speculation was simply wrong, and Drake was always planned to be exactly as it is. Even the manufacturing process is still nothing but speculation, and we're inferring a change of plan on Nintendo's part based on a change from one piece of speculation to another.
Thank you.
Personally, I would expect that the decision to make the new model (whether it's a revision or a successor or whatever) would have been finalised some time in the second half of 2019 or the first half of 2020. This is just based on a roughly 3 year timeline needed to bring out a new device with a semi custom SoC. Therefore, both the release timeline and the design of the hardware would have likely been based on Nintendo's pre-covid projections for Switch, or at the very least it wouldn't have accounted for continued high sales into 2021 and 2022. Substantial changes to the SoC in particular after this point would have been both very expensive and would have caused long delays (potentially a year or more), and there's no evidence to suggest this has happened. In fact, as far as I'm aware there are NVN2/Drake references in the Nvidia leak going back to 2019, which would corroborate the idea that work started pre-covid.
The earliest definite date seems to be 2020 for the core of NVN2 itself, but 2019 for some DLSS integration and samples which (and this is stated explicitly) were privately demoed to "Hovi." So it seems likely the overall project was planned and kicked off in 2019, though we can't say for certain.

I'm not really begrudging anyone who's tired of hearing about a nebulous "Switch pro", rather I'm trying to point out why some of us are still engaged in these rumors and enjoying it, since some people seemingly can't quite understand why we're still anticipating this "Switch pro" which has supposedly been supposed to come out since 2018.

The fact of the matter is there have been a number of disparate rumors that have all had some element of truth to them one way or the other, and they paint a fascinating picture of Nintendo's thought process behind revisions and hardware in general and some of us find that quite interesting and compelling.
More than any console, it feels like the Switch has been butting up against its limitaitons since at least rumors of the pro started circulating. So the thirst is real. There are games we wish could be a bit cleaner visually, have a 60fps option and so on. While I think we can argue Switch has more than tripled its installed base since and a Pro would not have increased sales over just a Lite, OLED or a red box, I come at this from the perspective of an end user and we were denied an upgrade that could have been a nice to have for many players. It's not like we were asking for it for free, a Pro would have meant going out to buy another Switch. I'm personally abit salty Nintendo opted not to give us a more powerful model, when an OC mariko would have done the job.

I felt people who use the console docked in particular got ignored as both the Lite and OLED focused on the portability aspect, granted OLED included a wired LAN port, it should have also been the power upgrade.

I felt people who use the console docked in particular got ignored as both the Lite and OLED focused on the portability aspect, granted OLED included a wired LAN port, it should have also been the power upgrade.
Totally. Specially when current hardware doesn't meet their game design ambitions. Nintendo was always the example of good performance and optimizations.
They dropped the ball high on this gen. I sold my Switch some time after playing AOC demo. The game seemed fun but the performance was terrible.
Sold it because I definitely don't want to play BOTW 2 on that hardware. If I had it by the time the game releases I would tempted to do so. Now I'm waiting for a power revision even if I have to force myself to wait for a Switch 2.

A docked only, performance focused version(switch lite counterpart) would be the perfect version for my use case. Though I'd be happy with a 4k pro portable.

Totally. Specially when current hardware doesn't meet their game design ambitions. Nintendo was always the example of good performance and optimizations.
They dropped the ball high on this gen. I sold my Switch some time after playing AOC demo. The game seemed fun but the performance was terrible.
Sold it because I definitely don't want to play BOTW 2 on that hardware. If I had it by the time the game releases I would tempted to do so. Now I'm waiting for a power revision even if I have to force myself to wait for a Switch 2.

A docked only, performance focused version(switch lite counterpart) would be the perfect version for my use case. Though I'd be happy with a 4k pro portable.
i don't really want a docked only Switch because I do use mine portably, but docked mode just needs a bit more headroom which the original X1 chip couldn't give due to throttling and heat issues, but a die shrunk Mariko totally could have provided.

i don't really want a docked only Switch because I do use mine portably, but docked mode just needs a bit more headroom which the original X1 chip couldn't give due to throttling and heat issues, but a die shrunk Mariko totally could have provided.

an OC Mariko in 2019 would have indeed been, for my money, a real switch pro. Games like Witcher 3 running at a fixed 720p docked would have been very impressive for the time, and close to the experience one can get playing on an XB1.
I regret that Nintendo didn't choose to go that way.

The Switch, PS4 and XBox One hit the ceiling rather early, people just grew accustomed to it.

The A57, which weren’t too terrible but were clocked very low. The Jaguars which were terrible.

Recipe for disaster that devs put up with.

For years.

People will act like there wasn’t complaints about “better hardware” with the PS4 and XB1 early on, that’s because it was continuously shut down by people who didn’t want to hear it.

People also act like the switch is the only console that people have complained about. It’s not.

The only reason people entertained a more performant switch in 2016-2018 is that there were rumors of a more performant switch very early on already. People didn’t make this up out of nowhere for the sake of it.

I’ve read so many comments and people are exaggerating the situation of “and as soon as the switch 2 releases people will ask for a switch 2 pro like they did with the original switch”, that is revisionist history, the circumstances that caused that are not easy to come by. At all.

If you want to get to real extremes, there are already rumors of a PlayStation five Pro that does double the Raster and RayTracing performance. There’s nothing indicating new hardware from the Sony side of things. This is quite literally a rumor made out of nothing. This is not at all comparable to situation of the Nintendo switch, that had recordings of a more powerful device very, very early on.

Do you want to know why people are already harping for a PS5 pro? It’s because of its lackluster performance in terms of RayTracing, the same thing as being applied to the Xbox series X. But once again, it’s been drowned out by people who don’t wanna hear this. So I just want to ask why is it when Nintendo specifically is referred to in the context of a switch, there’s an exaggeration on the amount of times that discussion has been going on about? While others they drown it out quickly and move on like nothing happened, hell they don’t even complain half the time.

I repeat, there are people already asking for the Xbox series X squared and the PlayStation five pro, when there’s absolutely nothing indicating that these are happening, a.k.a. there are zero credible leaks or reporting‘s on this. This is way worse than a Nintendo switch scenario because it’s making something out of nothing, mind you the Nintendo switch had something being reported.

I feel like I’m going off topic though.

At 0:38, I had to check my YouTube settings because I was certain the content was delivered at 480p. The battle sequence was just too blurry.

And while image quality was thoroughly bad, the graphics were indeed a huge step up from XB2, i agree. My theory is that the visuals were designed with a better hardware in mind. They look mediocre on Switch but am certain they would shine on a Pro. The lighting, landscapes and monster models are all noticeably better.

I except a Pro to be announced fairly close to its release barring no delays. I can't wait to see the results.
During the battle at 0:42 you can also see monsters far in the distance. From what I remember of XB2 the draw distance even outside of combat is severe to say the least.

The only reason people entertained a more performant switch in 2016-2018 is that there were rumors of a more performant switch very early on already. People didn’t make this up out of nowhere for the sake of it.
Ehh. It didn't take anything solid for people to notice "DS did it... 3DS did it... PS4 did it... Xbox One did it... Switch will probably do it."

I'm not a big fan of 4k, because it's a loaded word. It would make sense if it was an actual pro model that got no exclusives and got OG switch games to native 4k... But a successor with exclusives?.. We won't see much 4k games outside 1st party switch ports, and Nintendo and devs will always push the system. Could we see some xbone level 4k games with DLSS? maybe. Next gen ports is gonna be a no for sure. 2k will be far more common. I wouldn't be surprised if Nitnendo focuses on 1080p ports for current gen ports (x box series s).

Well it "technically" isn't 4k either, since it'll be utilizing DLSS most of the time.

I don't know if Nintendo will stick with the Switch branding, or if they do, they will follow it up with Switch <gimmick>. "4K" isn't really a selling point, IMO. It would have to be something else that will be the main differenciator to end up in the name.
I'm not a big fan of 4k, because it's a loaded word.
Speaking of which:

Yes, just trying to answer your question directly. But to riff a little bit/a lot...

I am very confident that Nintendo intended to launch a New Switch in fall of this year, that they contracted 3rd parties to build launch games for the device, and that those third parties had not received a change in the launch schedule of fall of last year. I think to look at the set of facts on the ground and come away with a radically different theory is at best an unconvincing interpretation of the data.

I have very little confidence that I know Nintendo's plan now, what 3rd parties are currently being told, or the eventual launch timing of the device. I'm just shooting in the dark like everyone else who isn't an actual journalist or insider. The general assumption seems to be that Nintendo's plans have changed, which I think is probably true but even that is still guessing. Maybe they haven't at all!

I am modestly confident that if Nintendo's plans have shifted, they are not primarily driven by consumer demand for the Classic Switch. Nintendo was telling Devs that there as a 2022 launch date as recently as ~6 months ago. Have the sales of fiscal 2021 been so far beyond Nintendos expectation that they would change direction now? I don't buy it. I do buy that if Nintendo is pushed to delay the revision, that the sales of the Current Switch make that decision much easier.

I do believe that any number of hardware, software, or political issues could delay the device. I am mixed on the effect of the chip shortage being a driver - I think the writing was on the wall a while ago, and Nintendo was telling partners 6 months ago that they were on schedule. But it isn't inconceivable to me that Nintendo saw a chance of making it and didn't want to spook partners.

I am only modestly confident that Drake is the revision. Occam's razor suggests it is, but I don't think folks who say "Drake looks like a successor, and I don't see how they cram that thing into a Switch case, perhaps there is a revision that is more modest out there and the two devices are being mixed up, like the OLED" are mad conspiracy theorists. It would neatly explain why Drake seems almost untenably beefy, but again, I'm modestly confident that it's just one device. Modestly.

These are my prior assumptions when talking about The Next Nintendo Thingy. I realize this is a deep tangent from your original post, but I get frustrated when people confuse fact for analysis, and analysis for predictions.
This may have been addressed elsewhere in this thread, but when you say "Nintendo was telling Devs that there was a 2022 launch date as recently as ~6 months ago" and "Nintendo was telling partners 6 months ago that they were on schedule" are you saying this based on analyzing the data provided in this thread, or data not provided here?

I don't know if Nintendo will stick with the Switch branding, or if they do, they will follow it up with Switch <gimmick>. "4K" isn't really a selling point, IMO. It would have to be something else that will be the main differenciator to end up in the name.

Why would you think it wouldn't be a 'Switch'? Other than just assuming nothing at all about it.

Quoted by: SiG
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm more excited to find out how Nintendo is going to market this console and its release timing now than the actual hardware itself.

I'm not sure if it's because the nvidia leak kind of blew the lid off what hardware spec we are expecting, but I am really interested in Nintendos marketing and release strategy now knowing how big of a leap the hardware is.

From the hardware standpoint my curiosity is just around storage now, particularly external options, hoping for NVME so I can whack a 2TB drive in it and be done.

This may have been addressed elsewhere in this thread, but when you say "Nintendo was telling Devs that there was a 2022 launch date as recently as ~6 months ago" and "Nintendo was telling partners 6 months ago that they were on schedule" are you saying this based on analyzing the data provided in this thread, or data not provided here?
7 months, to correct myself. The Mochizuki/Bloomberg article quotes devs saying that they expected to release their DLSS Switch games in Q4 2022/Q1 2023, which syncs with other reports.

Why would you think it wouldn't be a 'Switch'? Other than just assuming nothing at all about it.
I would think if their new gameplay concept is interesting enough, they could introduce the system as a “third pillar” in a similar fashion as the Nintendo DS. In other words, it’s a Switch successor in all but name, while differenciating it from all the other Switch models.

Why do you care? Your experience won’t change.

Such a strange attitude to have “because I can’t have it I don’t want others to have it”…
Experience will change is support moves over. And if it releases quickly and the price of Classic Switches drops, then recent buyers are going to be upset. It's not unreasonable, nor did they say they didn't want others to have it. Just that, for them, the timing ain't great.

I didnt say that i want it to not exist. Just that i bought my switch somewhat recently and id be sad if a big upgrade just released afterwards. Its not unreasonable.
I think one of the side effects of the Switch being successful is that people are going to be buying right up to the launch of the next thing, and players who bought one earlier are buying more games for it than they did for previous systems, so they're less ready for a move.

I think a revision is likely to actually extend the life of the Classic Switch. Yes, the experience might not be ideal, but I think a long cross-gen period will mean more games for the platform over time.

Btw, @LiC , is it possible to determine approximately when 12 being the # of SMs started showing up?
I'm thinking back to how about in last March, we heard that specs weren't quite locked down yet, so I'm wondering if SM count is part of that or not.

I didnt say that i want it to not exist. Just that i bought my switch somewhat recently and id be sad if a big upgrade was just released afterward. It's not unreasonable.
The way I see it is this - if someone bought a Switch only fairly recently, this means they are at the very least somewhat ok (whether by choice or necessity) with having skipped a lot of day 1 purchases and playing them much, much later - otherwise they would have bought a Switch a long time ago.

Now, there are so many great games on Switch that even if a big upgrade came out tomorrow, you have more than enough games to play for a looong time (with many available at cheaper prices) before you will need to buy this theoretical upgrade. Unless you feel the need to play this upgrade's exclusives (if there are any) day 1, but were that the case, you would have also "needed" to buy the OG Switch a long time ago and not recently.

I didnt say that i want it to not exist. Just that i bought my switch somewhat recently and id be sad if a big upgrade just released afterwards. Its not unreasonable.
Would you have been sad if you bought a SNES in 95 and then the N64 came out in 96? At least with the next Switch we can expect Nintendo’s software to be on both the old and up coming model.

It won’t have a 4K screen though so the name would be misleading.

How about:

“Switch 4K* when docked”

*Not all games in 4K

Last edited:
Would you have been sad if you bought a SNES in 95 and then the N64 came out in 96? At least with the next Switch we can expect Nintendo’s software to be on both the old and up coming model.

It won’t have a 4K screen though so the name would be misleading.

How about:

“Switch 4K* when docked”

*Not all games in 4K
In fact, the full name of Switch Lite is You can't Switch Lite 😛

As a pisspoor person i hope it takes a bit more timr for the pro to be launched lmao
We don’t have any idea if prices will remain the same for all other models will indeed receive a price slash. Regardless, I don’t think the schedule will change if they already have a solidified timetable for launch and pricing.

Don’t forget that the on-going chip shortage complicates things further, and delays would not necessarily make things cheaper. That does bring into question how these new Intel foundries could come into play.

tl;dr - Not so sure if delays = cheaper pricing.

Experience will change is support moves over. And if it releases quickly and the price of Classic Switches drops, then recent buyers are going to be upset. It's not unreasonable, nor did they say they didn't want others to have it. Just that, for them, the timing ain't great.

I think one of the side effects of the Switch being successful is that people are going to be buying right up to the launch of the next thing, and players who bought one earlier are buying more games for it than they did for previous systems, so they're less ready for a move.

I think a revision is likely to actually extend the life of the Classic Switch. Yes, the experience might not be ideal, but I think a long cross-gen period will mean more games for the platform over time.

I am 100% convinced Nintendo is 100% convinced that they absolutely must not let the switch brand lull between product launches.

Ds to 3ds and Wii to Wii u are scenarios not to be repeated.

Don’t forget that the on-going chip shortage complicates things further, and delays would not necessarily make things cheaper. That does bring into question how these new Intel foundries could come into play.

tl;dr - Not so sure if delays = cheaper pricing.
As of their presentation from quarterly earnings report in February, Intel 3 should be available for external clients in 2H 2023. Presumably that's production, so products in early 2024? Intel 18A is projected for 2H 2024.
I think that timeline doesn't work for Drake, but could be options for later potential devices.

I was a die-hard fan of the Super Switch name, but I'm switching allegiance to @Skittzo's Switch Ultra name so I too can call it the Switch U.

Does that count as an upgrade in taste? 😉
Its better but no your status as sonic fan nulifies it.

If you get a shiba inu plush as pfp on the other hand...

Im a basic person, i like Switch + or Max

Jeez that is a lot of notifications lmao. Since i dont have anything to add to them i will just not answer any of them. I still read all of them.

Also super switch is a ugly name, to anyone who chose it get better taste. Jk

Power Switch.

It's clearly not the case in general that if X is possible on a machine, 150% X is also always possible.

Its much more likely than assume that Switch can handle GC emulation but it cant Wii emulation,
there is reason for instance why there is same emulator (Dolphin Emulator) that plays GC and Wii games.

Last edited:
The earliest definite date seems to be 2020 for the core of NVN2 itself, but 2019 for some DLSS integration and samples which (and this is stated explicitly) were privately demoed to "Hovi." So it seems likely the overall project was planned and kicked off in 2019, though we can't say for certain.

Thanks. Those dates would make sense to me. If Nvidia were creating a NVN DLSS proof of concept to demo to Nintendo at some point in 2019, then it would have been at least a few months after that before any contract signing. There would have been a lot of sessions between Nintendo and Nvidia on both the hardware and software sides of things, and then the financial and legal negotiations following it. Then even after signing the contract, the first few months would have been taken up with requirements gathering, which would be considerable for a project as complex as this. Then Nvidia would use the requirements to create a full project estimate and use that to determine how many people need to be assigned, and in what areas. Only once they've assigned those people would the first lines of code actually get written. So I could definitely see 6 months plus between the demo of a prototype and the start of actual work on the project.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom