• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Seeing the recent speculation for a potential smash sequel i'm so glad the devs and work committee are much more competent than speculated right here

It still boogles my mind that Nintendo took a risk with Ultimate and that they were rewarded with the best selling fighting game of all time as an exclusive, without any price drops as well as pushing massive amounts of dlc and online subscriptions. A massively shored down roster is not something that moveset updates and netcodes will ever make up for, especially for a franchise that has been really good at maintaining rosters for over 2 decades

People pay to pit mario against minecraft, not because of some arbitary stuff that at best can be called quality of life inclusions, not actual selling points to customers
I mean, good online & single-player are pretty fucking big deals for the genre (especially the former in a post-COVID world). And with the Switch 2’s better CPU, there’s no excuse to not do rollback netcode comparable to SF6 & GG Strive.

Cuts are likely to happen, but I don’t think they’ll go below Smash 3DS/Wii U in roster size unless they pull a SF/MK & start from scratch (which they haven’t done since 64 -> Melee). As you said, Smash is usually pretty good about not losing too many characters between games (Ultimate aside).

Last edited:
I would expect BW/2 remakes to be cross gen with better loading times, resolution and online experience on next gen, and nothing else. I hope they wise up and don't do a STRICTLY BDSP chibi style remake, and go with something like LGPE for graphics and movement.

However, perhaps, maybe, MAYBE, what's happening is BW/2 launches with DS NSO within a week of Legend's Kyurem. 😜

Yeah, I'll keep dreaming, but I do expect DS to eventually come to NSO (Expansion Pack), and Pokémon mainline games... eventually joining across the various NSO generations. Honestly I wouldn't be too mad about a mediocre remake of a good game if they ALSO provide access to the original.

With the 3DS Pokémon games, I'm expecting remasters, not remakes. Not even just faithful, straight up the same games.

If my speculation holds through(true?), once DS NSO is out, NSO is done adding dedicated console apps and will start distributing "full" Switch games, starting with remasters and remakes in the first year, then year one Switch games the next, etc., building up to a "Nintendo Pass" style service in 2030.

Seeing the recent speculation for a potential smash sequel i'm so glad the devs and work committee are much more competent than speculated right here

It still boogles my mind that Nintendo took a risk with Ultimate and that they were rewarded with the best selling fighting game of all time as an exclusive, without any price drops as well as pushing massive amounts of dlc and online subscriptions. A massively shored down roster is not something that moveset updates and netcodes will ever make up for, especially for a franchise that has been really good at maintaining rosters for over 2 decades

People pay to pit mario against minecraft, not because of some arbitary stuff that at best can be called quality of life inclusions, not actual selling points to customers
It's a selling point if Nintendo tells the audience it's a selling point, marketing is a amazing thing

I mean, good online & single-player are pretty fucking big deals for the genre (especially the former in a post-COVID world). And with the Switch 2’s better CPU, there’s no excuse to not do rollback netcode comparable to SF6 & GG Strive.

Cuts are likely to happen, but I don’t think they’ll go below Smash 3DS/Wii U in roster size unless they pull a SF/MK & start from scratch (which they haven’t done since 64 -> Melee). As you said, Smash is usually pretty good about not losing too many characters between games (Ultimate aside).
I going to go as far and say that Smash 6 base roster needs to focus more on newcomers, specifically first party, over trying the bring back the majority of Ultimate roster. Roughly half veterans and half new characters is ideal. People need to learn and accept that trying to maintain and build upon an 89+ roster that has to interact with a book of variables is both unsustainable and unhealthy.

I going to go as far and say that Smash 6 base roster needs to focus more on newcomers, specifically first party, over trying the bring back the majority of Ultimate roster. Roughly half veterans and half new characters is ideal. People need to learn and accept that trying to maintain and build upon an 89+ roster that has to interact with a book of variables is both unsustainable and unhealthy.
It’s not impossible, but they’d need to use Ultimate as a foundation even more than Ultimate did for Wii U (which was already more than most Smash games). That said, more newcomers would help address the diversity concerns, which have thankfully become more discussed in recent years.

TBH, HD Remasters of 3DS Pokemon games could help maintain a healthy rhythm of sales for the Switch while the Switch 2 is there as well. It could also help differentiate the consoles, with the successor having the superior 4k/60fps experience

TBH, HD Remasters of 3DS Pokemon games could help maintain a healthy rhythm of sales for the Switch while the Switch 2 is there as well. It could also help differentiate the consoles, with the successor having the superior 4k/60fps experience
finally, a good Pokemon online experience (XY) on a modern system

don't know why people are so cautious about smash 6 roster, personally, they could cut the roster size down to Brawl size still sell 25M+ copies and have a high 80 low 90 gamescore/metacritic

As I've said many times, I expect Nintendo's future releases to be like this:

If it CAN run on Nintendo Switch, it will RELEASE on Nintendo Switch.

(With the caveat of "if it can", as in "can without rebuilding it, or spending a year optimising it", so 2D games and remasters.)

don't know why people are so cautious about smash 6 roster, personally, they could cut the roster size down to Brawl size still sell 25M+ copies and have a high 80 low 90 gamescore/metacritic
Word. If they cut down the roster, they need to compensate with something. I presume they’re gonna reinvent the formula. Smash Ultimate feels like a culmination of the standard Smash Bros formula. They can cut down the roster and bring characters that are a mix of newcomers and veterans

finally, a good Pokemon online experience (XY) on a modern system
Going back to Y after playing Let's Go was WILD. While I think Sword, Shield, Scarlet, and Violet having multiplayer co-op forgives a lot, it's just a fact that Pokémon online has degraded in every other sense since X and Y.

Now that I actually think about it, if they ever do make an "open" world Luigi's Mansion (whatever the hell that means) they'd totally title it "Luigi's Mansion: Open House"

all nintendo series possibly going open world, zelda metroid (possible with prime 4) mario and now lugis mansion whats next

Open world Ring Fit Adventure.

With real life measurements for moving! (Aka, if the game wants you to run 1km to a quest, you run 1km!)

Yea sure, if good online/single player are included without compromising on what makes smash tick, i don't see why not. It's only when people use it as "what if we got that instead of characters, smash will still sell" bit that gets to me.

It's a selling point if Nintendo tells the audience it's a selling point, marketing is a amazing thing
If marketing was really so powerful ultimate wouldn't have gotten the legs it had. Ultimately (no pun intended) said game has to have that hook to bring people in, and its pretty clear that bringing everyone back was the key in catapulting its growth by leaps and bounds.
Word. If they cut down the roster, they need to compensate with something. I presume they’re gonna reinvent the formula. Smash Ultimate feels like a culmination of the standard Smash Bros formula. They can cut down the roster and bring characters that are a mix of newcomers and veterans
Really? Smash has not done "massive/deep cuts" or whatever since the start, sakurai himself has stated he hates to see characters cut because it means disappointing huge groups of people, ultimate outperforming expectations and being a key component of the switch's growth and we're now going back to "cut the roster into half"? What do people even offer to audiences by doing so?

I'm legitimately curious what any of you can suggest to the 30m customer base to buy the sequel that has a 1/2 shot of seeing their favs cut. Especially since the formula has worked perfectly for them for literal decades.

It's just a reference point for context. The Switch is fairly light, ~398 grams vs 336 grams of the n3DS XL, you could still reasonably carry it between your fingers. We've left the realm of super light Game Boys a long time ago. As more handhelds come to market the Switch and its successors will end up among the thinnest and lightest as screen sizes and power consumption grow bigger, the exception being niche emulation and homebrew devices.

I was joining in on the conversation above my post discussing whether or not Nintendo would ship an oversized handheld.
I was making the argument that the Switch isn't particularly oversized (hence me saying pretty small), and made a comparison to the width of the 3DS XL. The reason I mention the detached controls is purely for comparison i.e. 'look how small this device actually is, the tablet by itself is the width of the 3DS XL'. I obviously know the device in its full handheld form is wider. (And yes, it is valid to include the size without controllers due to tabletop mode, which is usable, you can't remove the controls from a 3DS). But again, this is just for comparison's sake, to make the argument that even with their biggest portable, Nintendo has tried to keep it to a reasonable size.

I own multiple handhelds and I'm aware of the relative size of the Switch. So, I don't need the attitude or another comparison pic that you took yourself for something I said four pages ago as a part of a specific conversation and that I provided another comparison photo for on that same page (with joy con attached). Thanks.
I found your comparison was simply incorrect. I took a picture because what you said made no sense you made me doubt myself for a second that I had to pull both of them out and check. Tabletop is irrelevant since you're comparing the full console.

Just because the Switch is smaller than some of the current PC portables, it doesn't make it small and light. And let's be honest here, who actually buys these? Hardly any. I don't think many even know of their existence apart from us enthusiasts. They're never in any stores. So I can only imagine people either comparing their Switch to their prior portables, 3DS, DS, PSP, Vita, or to their phones. And in both cases, the Switch is big.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. You said your piece and I said mine. There was no attitude. No need to be touchy about it. Just stating what I see Infront of me.

peace-out.gif

Did something happen, leak or anything? I had trouble accessing the website for a couple of minutes.
I love it here but this website refuses to load on my iPhone like half the time for no reason. Every other time I get some sort of “security compromised” notification where I need to refresh the page every time I check my alerts ¯\(ツ)

I'm legitimately curious what any of you can suggest to the 30m customer base to buy the sequel that has a 1/2 shot of seeing their favs cut. Especially since the formula has worked perfectly for them for literal decades.
Easy, it's the next smash bros and that's all I really needs to be

I found your comparison was simply incorrect. I took a picture because what you said made no sense you made me doubt myself for a second that I had to pull both of them out and check. Tabletop is irrelevant since you're comparing the full console.

Just because the Switch is smaller than some of the current PC portables, it doesn't make it small and light. And let's be honest here, who actually buys these? Hardly any. I don't think many even know of their existence apart from us enthusiasts. They're never in any stores. So I can only imagine people either comparing their Switch to their prior portables, 3DS, DS, PSP, Vita, or to their phones. And in both cases, the Switch is big.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. You said your piece and I said mine. There was no attitude. No need to be touchy about it. Just stating what I see Infront of me.
Nah. There was enough context in my original post, my followups, and the rest of the conversation from that page. Small and light is relative. The original Game Boy was a brick but was smaller and lighter than a Game Gear which helped it. The current Switch is smaller and lighter than competing portable devices including tablets and laptops letting it easily slide into a bag. Relative size was the whole point of that original discussion which also brought up the Wii U gamepad and whether or not Nintendo would make a Super Switch the size of a Steam Deck.

I don't get the point of you pulling my comparison from pages and pages ago stripped of context just to make this point when everyone here knows what the Switch's dimensions are. Are you thinking I'm trying to gaslight people into thinking the Switch is a teeny tiny little thing? Because I'm not, and I know it's not. Obviously people think the Switch is big. I prefer the Switch Lite. But that hasn't harmed its reputation or utility as a portable device.

But I'm tired of this conversation, and in general. Hopefully my permaban request goes through.

Bye.

A few more things about the shipping info. These websites want you to pay to access the data, but some more information can be searched up for free, and some redactions can be circumvented.

Most if not all of these T239 listings are being exported by NVIDIA Corporation and imported by NVIDIA Graphics Private Limited, which is Nvidia's branch in India. It's presumably due to customs requirements for India or just SOP for this specific company that these show up so consistently, while other kinds of Nvidia- or Nintendo-relevant shipping that one could imagine don't seem to.

If the dates are to be believed, Nvidia is frequently shipping them all kinds of stuff, including retail and test boards for products both before and after public release. For that reason, I don't think the dates are super meaningful, as seeing a test board or prototype in one of these listings demonstrably doesn't mean that product is currently still in development. But, just to document the relevant ones:
  • 699-12423-1099-TS1 shipments are listed between April 27, 2022 and August 20, 2022
  • 699-12423-1099-TS2 shipment is listed on September 19, 2022
  • 699-12423-1099-TS3 shipments are listed on October 31, 2022 and November 10, 2022
  • CARPA X1 shipments are listed between July 28, 2022 and May 30, 2023
These dates match up well with the implied timeline of T239 sampling (or otherwise physically existing) around April 2022, per the interpretation of some Linux commits by oldpuck and others, and being finalized sometime that year.

By the way, Carpa X1 has nothing to do with Tegra X1. Carpa is presumably a codename, but X1 is a common type of revision number which we know Nvidia uses (such as on the SDEV-CPU-X0 prototype board posted in this thread before; more Switch-related examples here).

So, what is Carpa? Based on the description of "T239 SW DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM CARPA X1," I speculated it could be another dev board with a DDK included. Well, the HSN code for the E2423 boards classifies them as basically just an electronic device in the "other" subcategory, but the code for Carpa puts it in the "video game consoles and machines" category. It would be tempting to assume this is related to Nintendo devkits, but Nvidia probably wouldn't primarily refer to those as a "T239 software development platform." I think it's possible it is another test board and/or DDK, and the HSN code is either just a bucket it got lumped into, or this could be for an actual Nvidia product such as a Shield TV. But even then, I feel like it would have a more identifiable codename and not mention T239 specifically in that case. So I'm not sure about this one.

One other difference to note is that the E2423 boards have China or the United States as their country of origin, while the Carpa shipments have Japan (all have India as the destination). The listings from China appear to be from NVIDIA Singapore Pte Limited, which is evidently in Hong Kong, not Singapore. The United States and Japan COO listings are supposedly both exported by NVIDIA Corporation.

Last edited:
@cheesecake the roster is like 100 characters or so for Smash. At some point you have to have a cutoff line because Nintendo ain’t gonna pay for all these characters forever. The fans will understand.
"If" by that eventuality when we have super smash bros neo, the year is 2150 and we have a 300 man roster with subspace super duper redux, sure. But we're obviously far off from whenever that is and given how a huge majority is...first party? I really don't think that's the route you want to argue with.

And yea, the fans will understand. By not buying the game. 🤪

I wonder how the scope of Nintendo franchises is gonna change with the Switch 2 being apparently four times more powerful than its predecessor.

Open world Luigi’s Mansion sounds interesting. It’s definitely a concept worth exploring

I think the scope will only expand slighlty for many series. Simply because Nintendo can't afford every team and every game to have BotW and/or TotK like dev and QA times.

When scope expands, budget does exponentially.

Sorry, just woke up. I figured there wasn't much need for improving the Deck outside of ergonomics.
Never tried the deck, but from what people are saying the ergonomics are good. Screen is supposedly terrible though. And you can never have enough performance.

Is there any need for a Deck 2?
I think frankly that Valve, Asus, Lenovo, etc. really painted themselves into a corner here. The most dedicated PC gamers (i.e. the ones buying these systems) are the ones most dedicated to modularity and pushing the bleeding edge of graphics tech, neither of which can be provided by these devices.

I think the scope will only expand slighlty for many series. Simply because Nintendo can't afford every team and every game to have BotW and/or TotK like dev and QA times.

When scope expands, budget does exponentially.
Good point. We might see more “open-area” type of games instead of full, blown out open world or even open air

I'm saying at what point do they give up on cramming it in a "portable"
I feel like every reply is both correct and missed what you're actually getting at lol.

The fact that the Switch can be undocked is undoubtedly paramount to its success. It's also inarguably portable, though the size can be inconvenient. Pushing the size any larger only stretches that more.

I want to say the rumored size of the next system is as big as they can reasonably get. Personally, I'm still holding out hope the larger screen rumors are wrong; the Switch is already a hair too big for my liking (I think something the size of the OG Switch's screen with the OLED Switch's bezels would be ideal? Ignoring current Joy-Con compatibility). But I think they'll ultimately need to keep the thing in a portable form factor with a battery, or it loses its identity. I'd hope that they don't continually size creep every generation, I think at some point the needs of the form factor will win out.

Man, there's something wrong with this story, not even here in Brazil the connection with Switch Online is that bad, I've only been disappointed with Smash and Mario Tennis to date, otherwise everything worked well.
Same here. Central American with the slowest internet you can imagine, and the last time I had a disconnect in Splatoon was like 2 months ago. And before that it was like 8 months without one.
I play splatoon daily and competitively too so I have a ton of playtime on it.

Edit: which isn't to say Nintendo Online is great. We still need dedicated servers for AT LEAST Splatoon but it's nowhere near that bad for me. It's serviceable enough and honestly not that different from others in terms of ping/lag.
Idk if gigamoon is from the US or anything but I'm starting to think US internet just plain sucks even when compared to poor countries.

My top 3 basic recommendations for having a decent online experience on Switch are (in order of importance):
1- at least NAT B
2- LAN connection or at least wifi 5ghz
3- get optic fiber if possible. Even if it's a slower download speed, fiber should usually give you better pings.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom