• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

One aspect to consider is market saturation. While the Switch has achieved widespread popularity and amassed a large user base, there is a risk of reaching a point where the majority of potential customers already own a Switch. Releasing a successor can help invigorate the market by attracting new customers who may be waiting for a fresh and improved system.

Technological advancements also play a significant role. The gaming industry is constantly evolving, and new technologies emerge that can enhance the gaming experience. By introducing a new console, Nintendo can leverage these advancements and offer improved performance, better graphics, and innovative features that may not be possible on the current Switch hardware. This can lead to exciting new gaming experiences and keep the brand competitive in the market.

While the software sales for the Switch have been strong, it's important to consider long-term sustainability. Releasing a successor can generate renewed interest in software sales by enticing users to upgrade their hardware and explore new games optimized for the new system. This can contribute to long-term profitability and maintain the momentum of software sales.

Also, a successor console allows for innovation and the introduction of new gameplay experiences. It provides an opportunity for Nintendo to introduce innovative mechanics, unique features, and fresh game concepts. This can further differentiate their offerings and provide players with new experiences that they may not find on the current hardware. A successor console opens up possibilities for game developers and encourages creative exploration within the Nintendo ecosystem.

Lastly, it's essential to acknowledge the evolving market dynamics. The gaming industry is dynamic, with competitors continuously releasing new hardware and innovations. To remain competitive, Nintendo needs to keep up with industry trends and consumer expectations. Releasing a successor demonstrates their commitment to staying at the forefront of the gaming market and ensures that they can adapt to changing player preferences and emerging technologies.
Agreed. A successor is needed sooner or later.

Twitter and Fami will break when this think is announced.
If they have good launch titles and follow-ups, I suspect it's gonna take years before they can keep up with demand.

But NG will have significant exclusives that represent a huge investment. Those games will release on an install base close to zero and some could takes years to make a profit.
They earned the right to milk the soon to be 150M+ install base for a little longer, to cushion that investment.

On the other hand, if NG is powerful enough to get prominent ports, such as Elden Ring, RDR2, CoD, FIFA, etc, Nintendo could go the Sony way, just sit back and collect 30% on everything. (While also releasing cash-grabs that sell 5M in an instant).
The more they wait, the more money they leave on the table.
I have a list of 15-20 reasonable ports I would get for sure.

Just another hint at the scroll mechanic on the controller in TOTK.

ZeldaTOTK_MeatArrow_032823.jpg

For example?
Namely cost, if Nintendo spoke with Nvidia through multiple meetings between their engineers, and they were looking for a product that offered the best efficiency, and then they got that, but they build a system as if the the silicon inside the system is woefully inefficient and requires more robust cooling or a huge battery, then the question becomes why did you even leave step one in the first place? If the system is bigger, you’d need to accommodate for that larger size as it isn’t free, the main body is what I’m talking about here.

It would increase the cost of the device. The ROG Ally and the steam deck are noticeably bigger devices than the switch, even though they have a similar screen size. There’s many ways to create this system I feel, and if they were looking to minimize the cost of such system as much as possible while getting what they want, they wouldn’t go out of their way to make the system bigger. In a sense it defeats the purpose.

Oh, wow! That's a big difference when comparing with those windows PCs (which were what I had in mind when thinking about power draw).
On a steam deck for example, if the APU is using 8W or 12W, the system power draw (total) is gonna be double of that (16W/24W)

If that's not the case with T239, then maybe we really don't even need all that wattage.
Since T239 (the console, not the chip, but what ever :p ) will share many components with those in phones and tablets that have to run for long hours and consume little, they are designed with efficiency first and performance second, even Apple does this. Things such as the screen, the storage, the memory, the sensors etc are all suited for a device that’s meant to operate at low power. So, it would be counterintuitive if all of those consumed a lot of power when the system is designed to not waste so much power.

Some things of course, do consume more than others and are power hungry by default like the SoC or the Screen which can end up being the biggest consumer of power in a smartphone.

Rather than opt for an M.2 storage in a phone for example, that at the lowest can consume 3W, they opt for in-house methods like the iPhone or they opt for something like UFS which operates at a magnitude lower than M.2 drives and still delivers favorable speeds to the system.

RAM, such as LPDDR5, as per an Nvidia doc 2 modules consume about 1.5W at full load and less than a W when reduced.

But DDR and GDDR aren’t designed to be efficient and low power like LPDDR.

So it’s a multiple combination factor as for how much the system would even end up using.

The only thing that would be consuming power and is active is the fan in the device, but if the system is efficient and doesn’t get too hot, then the system would be able to spin the fan at the appropriate speed when needed and not waste any excess on what needs to be cooled.

So on and so forth. Nintendo has the benefit of taking advantage of the many advances to create a system where the whole system can operate at sub-10W and still deliver acceptable performance and playing time for games.

Didn't see this edit. Well, I don't think a 'bigger switch' would make it not a switch anymore lol
A bigger switch no, but that’s not really a form factor change. It still follows relatively close to the same format. The 3DS had the same form factor as the DS for example.

The way you used form factor gave me the impression that it was changing the device entirely and we didn’t know that though, so I only responded in the way I believed was appropriate for it. Going from a tablet to a clam shell with the buttons on the bottom body and the screen plus speakers on the top body would be an example of form factor change.

To end it off for all three parts of the quoted posts, while Nintendo can do that, you’d have to ask your self why are they doing this or what did they do that make them end up like this and why did move on from the first step if it was pointing to this outcome. They have the data and they have partner who’d be able to inform them of power draw and their own engineers would need to make an adequate system for that.

So if nvidia is able to provide a system on chip that can be cooled relatively easy without causing a raise in cost for making said system thus increasing the cost of the console more than they’d like, the better. All while delivering a solid performance, then it’s the likeliest scenario they’ll end for or try to get close to without blowing up the budget either.

T239 already has some Lovelace improvements that should help it be more efficient than the other Ampere parts, but it isn’t going to give a magical 2x improvement in efficiency.

For Entertainment Purposes Only: Switch Lite was announced on July 10th 2019. SwOLED on July 6th 2021. Not much of a pattern, perhaps, and patterns are only useful until they're not.

So Team 2023 still has a shot... the coming 1.5 weeks. After that, we're back to refreshing the Mario Wonder eShop page to see if it's out yet?!!. Speaking of which...
I'm calling it now. New hardware launches this year. Super Mario Bros Wonder is a launch title, and will release on October 20th the day the Nintendo Switch was originally revealed with their original trailer. Also this move in the image below and many more in the game will use a scroll mechanic. Also one of the gimmicks is focused on spatial audio which is why this game deals with sound and music so much. And like many Super Mario games before it, it will help introduce you to all the new controls.

super-mario-bros-world-featured.jpg
Oh bless my aching eyebulbs, I adore how this game looks.

The way I see it, switch 2 vs ps4 is gonna probably be similar to switch vs 360 (or maybe Wii u vs switch is better), and that's without DLSS. 2x faster GPU and at least 2-3x faster CPU vs PS4 base (and maybe equal to PS4 pro). We could potentially have 2x as much RAM available vs base PS4's 5.5GB, assuming we get 12GB of RAM, and 111 for gaming.

Bandwidth is the only non comparison.

Thermal and power draw limitations, especially considering how Nintendo would handle it and would want to prioritize battery life and power draw over performance (I'm expecting at least OG switch battery life). I mean we certainly won't get CPU clocks as high as either of those two (3Ghz is not happening), especially if the successor is limited to 10-15 watts in handheld. But imo, the GPU should at least match if not potentially surpass SD in handheld mode, and get close to RoG alley in docked mode. The performance on switch 2 will be a lot more efficient than the handheld PC devices per Hz though due to being a closed system and having a very efficient OS.
PS4 and PS4 Pro have same AMD Jaguar. so yeah A78C will be much more powerful

My guess is that some people are fucking hard with us.

Sure, a Switch 2 could be announced but that would fly in the face of what Nate said.

This is relevant, because Nintendo hasn't attended TGS since... 2005. And now they're finally back, but exclusively for the business area.
I'm 99% sure they're going to talk about Switch 2 with partners.

They usually do September Direct before TGS

This is relevant, because Nintendo hasn't attended TGS since... 2005. And now they're finally back, but exclusively for the business area.

Actually, they've been there in the business (B2B) area in 2021, iirc.

Further proof for the theory that Gamescom and TGS will be when nintendo is planning on privately showing off the new dev kits to a lot more devs, which will inevitably lead to much more substantial leaks.

They have to be anticipating that leaks will happen at that point, so the question is how they plan to prevent those leaks from depressing holiday 2023 switch sales. Only good solution I could think of is they will finally do a price drop for the switch.

I'm calling it now. New hardware launches this year. Super Mario Bros Wonder is a launch title, and will release on October 20th the day the Nintendo Switch was originally revealed with their original trailer. Also this move in the image below and many more in the game will use a scroll mechanic. Also one of the gimmicks is focused on spatial audio which is why this game deals with sound and music so much. And like many Super Mario games before it, it will help introduce you to all the new controls.

Sorry, but spatial sound won't be a feature, at least nothing regarding gameplay. This is totally not inclusive. You might be able to control it on a handheld, but there is no way to guarantee that the Docked version would be able to support it. Thus this is a dead in the water feature. The Scrolling might be a thing, as it is already widely established PC feature and it can be integrated easily. Also it gives a much more inclusive and easier to implement solution as a full touch feature. E.g. the touch function on PS4/5 is not used often, as no one knows how to properly integrate it. A scroll feature instead could be a much better solution.
I was also in Team 2023, but I highly doubt it now. Mario Wonders is just not a good launch title, it would be a much better launch period game, which get released on both systems.

Also that Nintendo is only in BizArea proofs that for me. They will most likely just show off DevKits to not yet trusted partners. If they would have a new console releasing just one month later, they would need to also be visible in the visitor area.

Further proof for the theory that Gamescom and TGS will be when nintendo is planning on privately showing off the new dev kits to a lot more devs, which will inevitably lead to much more substantial leaks.

They have to be anticipating that leaks will happen at that point, so the question is how they plan to prevent those leaks from depressing holiday 2023 switch sales. Only good solution I could think of is they will finally do a price drop for the switch.
Leaks would do very little to depress holiday sales. Vast majority of consumers aren't reading internet rumors.

Or the console will be already announced and presented by then and will be finally showcased in person to the Devs :)

Spatial audio: its a software thing, they could have had that on the switch, they just need to license a solution, that can happen per game, or a universal solution thats licensed for the console.
I don't see it as the big gimick.

Scroll Shoulder Buttons: as much as i want them since we had the patent,
i honestly dont thing well get them. I especially don't see the screenshot of Wonder as a sign, these are rails that boost mario in that direction, it has to work on both, and it would be tedious and loose the sense of speed if you need to scroll manually.

14th of June... don't see it. And why should they know it. I would expect more interesting sources to hint towards it.
Except they are all under NDA because they are invited to an event and wont get any info anymore if they hint towards it.

I'm sure there will be people in this thread claiming that Switch 2 is coming out this year even when we’re in October with no announcement having been made, but I feel there's no real tangible evidence pointing to a 2023 release. We're talking about a full on next generation Nintendo console, and if it were to be released in the next 5 months, there would be much more evidence out there by now. Looking at past next gen launches there is much more information out there at this stage of the release pipeline 5 months out from delivery. Major news sites have barely reported anything, insiders are barely hearing anything, the 'leaks' are barely anything and if it wasn't for the Nvidia hack we'd know almost next to nothing.

I don't think Nintendo's release schedule points to a 2023 release either. Surely if Zelda and Switch 2 were being released in the same year Nintendo would have just released them together since this has proven to be a recipe for great success when launching a new console as we have seen with the Wii and Switch. The fact they weren't released together tells me that Switch 2's release window was too far out from the completion of the software.

I'm sure they'll be people quoting me claiming I'm wrong, but they won't be anywhere to be found to tell me I was right on 1st January 2024 when we don't have the Switch 2 in our hands. I'd love to be wrong of course, but I just feel like the evidence, or lack of, points a device releasing after 2023.

I'm sure there will be people in this thread claiming that Switch 2 is coming out this year even when we’re in October with no announcement having been made, but I feel there's no real tangible evidence pointing to a 2023 release. We're talking about a full on next generation Nintendo console, and if it were to be released in the next 5 months, there would be much more evidence out there by now. Looking at past next gen launches there is much more information out there at this stage of the release pipeline 5 months out from delivery. Major news sites have barely reported anything, insiders are barely hearing anything, the 'leaks' are barely anything and if it wasn't for the Nvidia hack we'd know almost next to nothing.

I don't think Nintendo's release schedule points to a 2023 release either. Surely if Zelda and Switch 2 were being released in the same year Nintendo would have just released them together since this has proven to be a recipe for great success when launching a new console as we have seen with the Wii and Switch. The fact they weren't released together tells me that Switch 2's release window was too far out from the completion of the software.

I'm sure they'll be people quoting me claiming I'm wrong, but they won't be anywhere to be found to tell me I was right on 1st January 2024 when we don't have the Switch 2 in our hands. I'd love to be wrong of course, but I just feel like the evidence, or lack of, points a device releasing after 2023.

I understand your perspective, but I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. While it's true that there may be limited tangible evidence pointing to a 2023 release for the Switch 2, it's important to consider the unique approach that Nintendo takes with hardware announcements and releases.

Nintendo has a history of tightly controlling information and maintaining secrecy around their hardware plans until they are ready to make official announcements. This deliberate strategy allows them to generate excitement and anticipation among their fan base. It's not uncommon for Nintendo to reveal and release hardware with shorter lead times compared to other companies.

The lack of widespread news coverage, insider reports, and leaks at this stage could be attributed to Nintendo's ability to keep their plans under wraps effectively. They have a track record of surprising the gaming community with unexpected announcements. The recent Nvidia hack might have provided some insights, but it's not the only source of information regarding the Switch 2.

It's also worth considering that Nintendo's release schedule is not always driven by simultaneous releases of a new console and a flagship title. They have opted for staggered releases in the past, allowing each product to have its own spotlight and maximizing their impact.

While it's understandable to have doubts and exercise caution in making predictions, it's premature to dismiss the possibility of a 2023 release for the Switch 2 based solely on the current lack of evidence. Nintendo's strategies and plans may deviate from conventional industry practices, and their approach is driven by their own unique vision and market considerations.

In conclusion, while your skepticism is understandable, I believe it's premature to draw definitive conclusions about the release of the Switch 2. We will have to wait for official announcements from Nintendo to gain a clearer understanding of their plans. Until then, it's essential to keep an open mind and be receptive to the possibilities that lie ahead.

Spatial audio: its a software thing, they could have had that on the switch, they just need to license a solution, that can happen per game, or a universal solution thats licensed for the console.
I don't see it as the big gimick.

ICYMI: 3D Audio has been patented by Nintendo for a next gen console

I understand your perspective, but I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. While it's true that there may be limited tangible evidence pointing to a 2023 release for the Switch 2, it's important to consider the unique approach that Nintendo takes with hardware announcements and releases.

Nintendo has a history of tightly controlling information and maintaining secrecy around their hardware plans until they are ready to make official announcements. This deliberate strategy allows them to generate excitement and anticipation among their fan base. It's not uncommon for Nintendo to reveal and release hardware with shorter lead times compared to other companies.

The lack of widespread news coverage, insider reports, and leaks at this stage could be attributed to Nintendo's ability to keep their plans under wraps effectively. They have a track record of surprising the gaming community with unexpected announcements. The recent Nvidia hack might have provided some insights, but it's not the only source of information regarding the Switch 2.

It's also worth considering that Nintendo's release schedule is not always driven by simultaneous releases of a new console and a flagship title. They have opted for staggered releases in the past, allowing each product to have its own spotlight and maximizing their impact.

While it's understandable to have doubts and exercise caution in making predictions, it's premature to dismiss the possibility of a 2023 release for the Switch 2 based solely on the current lack of evidence. Nintendo's strategies and plans may deviate from conventional industry practices, and their approach is driven by their own unique vision and market considerations.

In conclusion, while your skepticism is understandable, I believe it's premature to draw definitive conclusions about the release of the Switch 2. We will have to wait for official announcements from Nintendo to gain a clearer understanding of their plans. Until then, it's essential to keep an open mind and be receptive to the possibilities that lie ahead.

Based on what? You have no evidence to support your position where as my position is based on the current facts of the situation. If you were being honest with yourself, your position is based solely on the fact that you really want own the Switch 2 this year and that you're just trying to will it into existence. I mean ultimately, I'll be right and you'll be wrong so I'm not going to waste too much time debating this. I just hope you don't get too burnt and in time you're able to accept the reality of the situation.

ICYMI: 3D Audio has been patented by Nintendo for a next gen console
Oh, i totally did miss that. So they effectively implemented their own simulation to not have to pay licensing fees. I mean, why not, they have the engineers to do it.

Still, i don't feel like it would be a big selling point when Sony headphones, Apple, PS5, etc all already have those things.
Feels more like a "we to now!" thing then a big gimmick.
(Still aprechiated, especially if it works well over stereo speakers and not just Headphones, but for that it almost definitely needs an integrated microphone and setup process, so i expect it to only work on headphones and sorround setups.

It's going to be crazy when Uncle Nintendo tells President Nintendo about this post, and they decide to fast-track Switch 2 for 2023 because of a Famiboard post.

History in the making.

I thought we had an agreement? No badmouthing Team 2023 until July is over, but after July Team 2023 has to understand that it's definitely 2024 then.

Don't be like Vader, don't alter the deal. ;]

Based on what? You have no evidence to support your position where as my position is based on the current facts of the situation. If you were being honest with yourself, your position is based solely on the fact that you really want own the Switch 2 this year and that you're just trying to will it into existence. I mean ultimately, I'll be right and you'll be wrong so I'm not going to waste too much time debating this. I just hope you don't get too burnt and in time you're able to accept the reality of the situation.

I just wanted to let you know directly that I'm really excited about the potential release of the Switch 2. Your generous offer to gift me the console and games if my prediction about the release date is correct means a lot to me. I appreciate your enthusiasm and support in our discussions.

I hope that my prediction turns out to be right, and if it does, I'll be thrilled to receive the Switch 2 and enjoy the games you mentioned. Thanks again for your kindness and involvement in this conversation.

I'd love to see this thing released in 2023 too. One thing though: if the console were to be presented (or just announced) in two weeks, would we not already know ?
And by that, I mean usually, with the oled and lite, how early did the people in the know hear something ? Like are we talking days, weeks or months ?
From what I hear here it seems like it does not need to be announced in July, you just need leaks (we may be at the start of that period, culminating in September) which would indicate presentation a few weeks/months after, and a release a few months after that (Q124 a la switch ?).Would line up with the claims here that strong leaks occur after the summer, and the pkmn thing of patches to be released - assuming it s legit.
Maybe there is something this summer, but can it not be a last low cost reduced size model like they do at the end every handehld generation ?

I just wanted to let you know directly that I'm really excited about the potential release of the Switch 2. Your generous offer to gift me the console and games if my prediction about the release date is correct means a lot to me. I appreciate your enthusiasm and support in our discussions.

I hope that my prediction turns out to be right, and if it does, I'll be thrilled to receive the Switch 2 and enjoy the games you mentioned. Thanks again for your kindness and involvement in this conversation.

I know you are and that’s fuelling your whole argument. I wish I was young and hopeful too but I’m nearly 40 now and you end up being able to read the room a lot better by then! Haha

I'd love to see this thing released in 2023 too. One thing though: if the console were to be presented (or just announced) in two weeks, would we not already know ?
And by that, I mean usually, with the oled and lite, how early did the people in the know hear something ? Like are we talking days, weeks or months ?

We would not know if Nintendo really improved their secrecy game.

OLED didn't leak, everyone was expecting a Switch Pro
Lite didn't leak, only the back of the case did thru a photo 1-2 months before the reveal

Last edited:

Lite didn't leak, only the back of the case did thru a photo 1-2 months before the reveal
Yeah but isnt this a different situation though, considering it'd be a new console? I feel that there are a lot more moving parts and people in the know compared to just a new model. But I do agree that 2023 isn't completely out of the picture, at leas announcement wise.

Fair enough! I'll be more than happy if that happens. In any case we re very likely less than 12 months away from the thing being presented - maybe even released - so that works very well for me (watching late PS4 era racing games to see what the next mario kart could look like).

Nintendo has been a frequent attendee of the B2B area of TGS for several years now, as far back as the early 2000s. They're just not welcome as an exhibitor. Nothing new here.
I'm sure there will be people in this thread claiming that Switch 2 is coming out this year even when we’re in October with no announcement having been made
That strawman you constructed really needs work. Especially if you're going to talk about arguments based on nothing.

So what exactly does he get if it doesn't come out in 2023. You buy him a switch 2 instead?

Just another hint at the scroll mechanic on the controller in TOTK.

ZeldaTOTK_MeatArrow_032823.jpg
... to be honest, that was 1:1 my thought when we did not knew what the NX is. I looked at the BotW menues from the e3 demos, and was like: yeah, those are probably made with the scroll weels on switch in mind.
so...no, cant see this being a sign again.
Again the talk is always about release, but at this time, does anyone from #Team2024 agree that the reveal could still happen this year?
Oh for sure. I am team H1'24, so reveal September, maybe Oktober. and a switch price drop / bundle for holiday sales to keep steady.

Wait, why not welcome?

I think TGS was initially started by Sony during times where Nintendo still had their Spaceworld and so on. Definitely could see Nintendo not being welcome there back then.

But i think this hasn't been an issue (or wouldn't have been an issue) in the last ... 15 or more years really.

Again the talk is always about release, but at this time, does anyone from #Team2024 agree that the reveal could still happen this year?
I'm expecting a short announcement-to-release time frame of maybe 5-7 months.

I think an announcement this year is possible for a H1 2024 release - although there is the potential impact on holiday sales, which may make an early 2024 announcement an alternative possibility.

I wouldn't expect a reveal this year for a H2 2024 release.

(I am expecting leaks this year, either way, as more dev kits start to go out.)

With sakurai again mentioning, that he would like to play Kid Icarus on a big screen, but that it would be hard to do without a team... im getting confident that thats his next project, either a port or a sequel for Switch (2).
I also expect it to be announced somewhen when his [Game concepts] category is done (he talks chronologically about his releases, next is Smash 4... so 2 more to go)

portable device with spatial audio would be an interesting sell idk

It's possible (the PS5 was announced October 2019 and the Xbox Series X was announced December 2019) though I lean towards February being more likely for a late 2024 release.

Wait, why not welcome?
On top of what @Bonejack mentioned, the last times Nintendo was visibly present at TGS was Iwata's keynote showing off the Wiimote, which sucked all the oxygen out of Makuhari Messe that year. And then at least one more time (to a lesser degree) at TGS 2011 when MH4 was announced for 3DS just before the show started. They have also never once had their games on the show floor there. So as a general rule, even if it's not a hard rule and probably now done out of respect for the 3rd-party relationships Iwata and his successors attempted to foster or are successfully fostering, they do not attend the show floor and usually announce/exhibit products outside of TGS' schedule (Nintendo Directs are usually scheduled at least a full week or more before or after TGS in a given year, likely for similar reasons). Nintendo will not attend unless explicitly invited to. It's a 4-day event to conduct business at for them now.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom