• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

the biggest problem is that people need to be conditioned to accept that the switch and lite won't be worth it since it won't get games after a while
Based on what Furukawa said about using the Nintendo account to ease hardware transition, my assumption is that all "Switch" models—past, present, and future—will support the same eShop. So for anyone who doesn't feel the need to upgrade to Drake or any new models coming their way, there already have thousands of existing games available to them. There will still be developers who want the 100mm install base and continue to support the older models. PUBG Mobile, for example, still runs on iPhone 6S, Diablo Immortal on iPhone 6, and Genshin on iPhone 5S (still saying the performance would be great, but they run at least). Let's also not forget about the NSO. So for the more casual users who don't mind holding onto an old console, there should be enough content for them to consider the ownership "worth it".

I think the concerns over line up if Drake were to launch this year are unfounded given the launch line up of the original switch and the current gen competitors.

If it goes into production soon, which the smoke seems to indicate I can see a mid August Drake trailer with a full direct in September talking software. It will contain software for original switch but will detail enhancements on Drake and have a couple third party exclusives. Release late October to late November.

Now let's say Metroid prime remaster is the holiday title that's heavily Drake enhanced. Plus BOTW2 gets shown off with RTX on Drake for March/April. Personally, I think that level of hype is enough to give the console a good start, considering the OG switch will still be on sale and the limited number of Drake units that will be available in the first few months. Along with some patches to some of this years releases and evergreens. Hell a BOTW1 patch to add DLSS and other improvements to Drake, and another re-release with the DLC and new patch on cart will hype up the release.

Nate mentioned a few first parties are targetting holiday 2022 for software I believe, a few first party titles either exclusive or heavily enhanced for drake will be enough. Capcom might drop RE7 with the next gen patch, or RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake. An assassins Creed game from Ubisoft, maybe Activision will surprise us and drop a Modern Warfare 2 trailer for Drake.

Metroid prime, BOTW2 and just one or two of these suggestions above are enough to carry Drake through its first six months and have demand well exceed supply imo.

Are you kidding me? Nobody in their right mind thought, in 2019, that the Switch was going to be just a fad. It was already selling a lot, software was doing amazingly well, including third parties, and unlike the Wii, the switch audience was much more versed in gaming. Nintendo was actually so confident in their machine that they often repeated that this generation would last longer than usual.

Releasing a successor after 7 years and supporting the current model for 2 years after that, giving the og switch a lifetime of 9-ish years, fits exactly in that narrative.
If you asked anyone in the Nintendo sphere if they expected a pandemic to affect millions of people where they’d be shut inside and be long lasting, Nintendo switch would skyrocket through the roof in sales and animal crossing will become one of the best selling exclusives that isn’t a packed in title this generation, Nintendo will adopt OLED technology, there would be a semiconductor shortage that was very difficult to deal with and expected them to say “yes” then I have three bridges, a goat, a pot of land and some tequila to sell to you.

Anyone remember this tweet?

What if the Switch Pro was supposed to launch with Metroid Prime Remake/Super Duper Remaster in the first place?

If it releases this year, the Switch Pro can too.

Next gen patches for impressive looking games like BotW, XC3, Astral Chain or LM3 would sell the new hardware better than a crossgen remaster of a GameCube game in my opinion.
Unless the plan is pair Metroid with the new hardware to have the hardware carry the game and not the other way around.

If you asked anyone in the Nintendo sphere if they expected a pandemic to affect millions of people where they’d be shut inside and be long lasting, Nintendo switch would skyrocket through the roof in sales and animal crossing will become one of the best selling exclusives that isn’t a packed in title this generation, Nintendo will adopt OLED technology, there would be a semiconductor shortage that was very difficult to deal with and expected them to say “yes” then I have three bridges, a goat, a pot of land and some tequila to sell to you.

Nintendo even said ACNH exceeded expected lifetime sales in the a couple months. They were probably targeting the 15 mil range based on New Lead performance

Next gen patches for impressive looking games like BotW, XC3, Astral Chain or LM3 would sell the new hardware better than a crossgen remaster of a GameCube game in my opinion.
Unless the plan is pair Metroid with the new hardware to have the hardware carry the game and not the other way around.
That gamecube game is one of Nintendo’s most critically acclaimed titles ever, if the quality of the remaster is there it could sell quite a bit and also be the ‘’Demon’s Souls’’ of Switch 2 launch, not a console seller by itself but it does sell what the console is able to do.

That gamecube game is one of Nintendo’s most critically acclaimed titles ever, if the quality of the remaster is there it could sell quite a bit and also be the ‘’Demon’s Souls’’ of Switch 2 launch, not a console seller by itself but it does sell what the console is able to do.

It’s still a GameCube game and it’s not even a full remake.

From what we know it’s a Xenoblade Definitive Edition like situation. I don’t expect it to set any benchmark on Switch.
From what we “know” it’s supposed to be beyond that. :p

It was described as being borderline a remake and a very ambitious remaster.

Xenoblade DE was a very obvious remaster through and through.

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |ST| “It’s a wild ride, this passage of Drake!”

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |ST| “Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Summary posts like this are very helpful, thank you!
100 more pages until a new thread has to be made.
How does everyone want to handle this? There's no actual rule for maximum thread length - the General Discussion threads are rotated monthly out of tradition and so multiple people can have a go of being OP; on the other hand, the recent Direct Speculation thread passed 400 pages. Of course, you're welcome to stick to tradition and open a new thread after 400 pages. It comes down to what the community wants.

How does everyone want to handle this? There's no actual rule for maximum thread length - the General Discussion threads are rotated monthly out of tradition and so multiple people can have a go of being OP; on the other hand, the recent Direct Speculation thread passed 400 pages. Of course, you're welcome to stick to tradition and open a new thread after 400 pages. It comes down to what the community wants.
IMO we should keep this thread, unless Dakhil wants to hand it off. The OP updates are extremely useful and well done.

I say, unless anybody else wants to be OP, lets just continue this thread indefinitely.

Dont really see the point of a new thread by the same OP. We got a perfectly good one.

I think this thread should continue indefinitely. I mean literally, as soon as Drake releases we start speculating about the next hardware, rinse and repeat, until the end of time itself.

IMO we should keep this thread, unless Dakhil wants to hand it off. The OP updates are extremely useful and well done.
I personally don't mind keeping this thread.

But the problem is that the OP is close to reaching the word/letter limit (I don't remember if that's the exact limitation), which would make updating the OP harder to do for me, especially if more news is upcoming. (I've been lucky there's not much news for the last couple of months.)

I could, of course, make another post (not new thread), with more links and summaries, like with the OP. But I imagine that would be very messy and not very convenient.

But the problem is that the OP is close to reaching the word/letter limit (I don't remember if that's the exact limitation), which would make updating the OP harder to do for me, especially if more news is upcoming. (I've been lucky there's not much news for the last couple of months.)

I could, of course, make another post (not new thread), with more links and summaries, like with the OP. But I imagine that would be very messy and not very convenient.
Maybe that’s something that can be fixed easily by the webmaster of the site?

I'll look into helping out with this shortly

I think Grubb is right that Nintendo wants to squeeze all the juice they can out of the Switch, and I also think a revision that extends the life of the "Switch Family" to 10 years is a good way to do that.

And that’s a remake?

Never played it, but from what I can gather from a quick google search it’s a remake and not a remaster.
it's running the Wii code underneath with new assets on top of it. so call it whatever you want

I think Grubb is right that Nintendo wants to squeeze all the juice they can out of the Switch, and I also think a revision that extends the life of the "Switch Family" to 10 years is a good way to do that.
what I find stupid about the "sales are too good" theory is that it implies they can't do both. as if we can't by the iphone from several years ago in 2022

Drake is gonna be doing a lot of saving after this direct 🙃

And that’s a remake?

Never played it, but from what I can gather from a quick google search it’s a remake and not a remaster.
It's a mix of both, it retains some Wii assets that weren't prioritised (developers said they only had so much time to remake assets) but was partially ported to a newer engine, so it's halfway between being a remaster and a remake.

FWIW, I have post #4 and if you want, you could stick older info in there. Not a perfect solution, but a suggestion.

It's a mix of both, it retains some Wii assets that weren't prioritised (developers said they only had so much time to remake assets) but was partially ported to a newer engine, so it's halfway between being a remaster and a remake.
So the Metroid prime comparison was likely meant as a compliment then..

semantic... Switch 4K will be released this FY.....#stockpiling #rawmaterials #financialloss

Not sure if it was because I was watching the direct on my old Samsung TV vs my newer 4k one but a lot of the games looked really low resolution but maintained effect detail. Harvestella was a good example of this.

I know it's a reach but I'm wondering if it's for easier Drake patches later in the year or just a symptom of creating games on a GPU with relatively modern shades but little grunt.

Either way, after seeing some of the games I am really jonesing for a new switch now.

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |ST| Is this a new thread or an enhanced version of the previous thread?

I can't believe someone beat me to the joke of whether the next thread is a revision or a successor. 🤣

• * Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I'm surprised that new production line setup would heavily disrupt current production line setup. Testing out new molds makes sense, but would you do that by stopping all of the lines at once, or iterate through the relevant lines to confirm readiness to cutover to new manufacturing? I know just enough about this to be dangerously naive.

Here’s a question, would it be possible for Nintendo to integrate DLSS directly into the N64 emulator for Switch 4k? They finally got emulation in a good spot and I’d hate to see stuff messed up by a res increase, but I also would love to see the games at a higher res.

Are you kidding me? Nobody in their right mind thought, in 2019, that the Switch was going to be just a fad. It was already selling a lot, software was doing amazingly well, including third parties, and unlike the Wii, the switch audience was much more versed in gaming. Nintendo was actually so confident in their machine that they often repeated that this generation would last longer than usual.

Releasing a successor after 7 years and supporting the current model for 2 years after that, giving the og switch a lifetime of 9-ish years, fits exactly in that narrative.
It's impossible to tell how things would have played out without the pandemic, but I don't think it would have been a safe bet at all in 2019 to predict Switch sales would stay as high as they have for as long as they have. It was probably never going to fall off a cliff, but the decline easily could have started sooner.

Personally I think the logical time to make a new thread would probably be when new hardware releases, since that will be when a lot of the info in the OP won't be immediately relevant anymore and also just a natural point where the focus of discussion will shift.

Here’s a question, would it be possible for Nintendo to integrate DLSS directly into the N64 emulator for Switch 4k? They finally got emulation in a good spot and I’d hate to see stuff messed up by a res increase, but I also would love to see the games at a higher res.
I think so, there's an N64 emulator plugin in development that incorporates RT and DLSS:

Question is if they'll put in the work, or just increase the native rendering resolution since Drake can handle N64 games at 4K docked.

Generating the necessary motion data could be a problem, but honestly it's not really going to solve any of the problems with high rez N64 games even if it works perfectly. That's going to require some dedicated emulator hacks. Personally I'd much rather they devote the extra power towards making the textures look correct.

Honestly from Nintendo’s history even if it’s possible I don’t think we will get that. Let’s just focus on trying to get a 4K switch first. I just don’t see Nintendo caring enough to do that.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom