• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xenoblade 3 |ST| Σ Become One

Menu theme bothers me more than Chain Attack theme. Both are great on their own, but Menu theme gets in the way of atmosphere a little too much. And if you wanna open the menu for only a few seconds, hearing the first few notes of it is jarring and can get annoying.

Chain Attack theme never got old for me. It was so hype. Though a Moebius variant of it wouldn’t have hurt (and it’s surprising we didn’t get one honestly, considering how many variants the Moebius theme itself got). And it should’ve been turned off for more emotional fights. But other than that, it fits every time and brings the hype.

Its so much easier to appreciate the battle and area themes without the chain attack and menu music getting in the way. Playing through the game again without them (I'm using a cheat engine to turn them off) has been a revelation.

Its so much easier to appreciate the battle and area themes without the chain attack and menu music getting in the way. Playing through the game again without them (I'm using a cheat engine to turn them off) has been a revelation.
I wish there were a toggleable option to have boss battle music override chain attack music. Like that's the only thing I really want changed in the game.

Although I'd probably enjoy having the menu music toggleable as well. I remember a similar issue with the menu music in FFXVI, but the area music in that game doesn't hit near as hard as Xenoblade. Bit of a travesty to have great music getting in the way of great music here.

I do like the menu theme some of the time. It's kind of nice to have some chill lofi thing going on in the background when you got a lot of menuing to do like right after changing everybody's classes. It's like menu themes in tactics games. But it just gets so annoying when it comes on for everything even you're only going to be in the menu for a second to fast travel or something. Pressing in one of the analogue sticks while a menu is open to toggle it on and off would've been ideal.

Iris Network definitely should’ve been a toggleable song, but damn is it a great track. Hearing it again in Future Redeemed earlier this year gave me goosebumps, already have a ton of nostalgia attached to it.

Fast travel resetting time + menu theme + off-seeing large groups resetting the field music all work together in the worst way to get people to not find 3's field themes as memorable as the previous games
It's partially this, partially them being longer so you sometimes don't even hear the whole thing or get to the back half and hear all the differences, and partially that a lot of them... just aren't as memorable as the previous games' :p. They went for a more somber, atmospheric, moodier tone and style for a lot of the field themes and while that often works well, it just doesn't "hit" as much at least for me personally. It's more like... a lot of the field themes fall more into 'this is a movie score soundtrack that blends into the background' rather than 'I want to be in this area just so I can listen to the music' kinda thing. Which depending on your preferences is totally fine! I just prefer a more present, melodic, adventurous tone to RPG music most of the time.

Amazing peek behind the scenes of the recording of one of the greatest boss battle themes in RPG history:

It's funny that you posted that today since CHiCO just shared a video of the recording session for Moebius Battle on twitter:

FINALLY got a ship notice for the trinity edition soundtrack! And a note that they're still expecting them all to ship out by the end of August, if anyone else is still waiting to hear something.

N AND M OUTFITS WITH THE AMIIBOS!

Knew they would come with them! The amiibos look great, cannot wait to get them.

Oooooof I was hoping they would let his hair down for the N skin. He looks kinda weird with the ponytail. I'll have to get used to it.

I've played Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for 10 hours. And I think I'll give it up :(

At first, the story isn't very exciting. Introduction was promising, but then.... It became flat with a lot of uninteresting cinematics and dialogue.

About the environments, I have to admit there are a few impressive shots, but they feel empty and lifeless. I hoped to see a few villages or towns, but nothing.... At least not where I am now.

But there is worse : battles. Not only it's messy on screen, but I don't find the system amusing. I don't know how to say that, but I feel more like a spectator.... And I don't like classes anymore, I prefer when characters have a unique ability. And the bad side quests don't help to raise the level..... In short, it's unfortunate but I just can't enjoy it and it's an important element in a JRPG :(

I really like JRPGs, but I don't have as much time to devote to them anymore, so if I don't like it from start, I'd rather stop.

It didn't work for me, but I'm glad I discovered this license :)

Cancelling attacks starts different in this one... they are trying to introduce you to fusion attacks. This kinda makes cancelling more involved at the beginning, cause only some things cancel to other things (this opens up later).

Between micromanaging AI for enemy targeting and combos, and manually switching to different characters and oroboros, there's as much involvement in combat as I can handle. I try to set up my characters so the AI will do what I want.

The battles are my fav part, though it's interesting how they transform to turn based during chain attacks. Doing 70%+ of a bosses hp in a single attack is beyond gratifying.

I will say the daze combo path to remove enrage still makes no sense to me. If I can get a break off, smash is where it's at. Maybe if you could daze and then combo a smash fast enough for a daze damage bonus. (nm, that wouldn't work)

For me, this whole franchise is about learning damage multipliers well enough (try to do it yourself without google) to really dominate the bad guys. It's a little different in each game and really rewarding.

I also loved the job system for character development. The fusion abilities let you combine effects, like making them aoe, and you unlock these abilities from the job system. You also unlock break, topple, launch, smash, which is imo the meat of the game.

I agree it takes time.

Last edited:
Jumped back into this after thinking about it a lot recently, just doing some side quests and stuff.

Man this game has stuck with me for the past year. Previously I think I had it third on my GOTY 2022 list behind Bayonetta 3 and Elden Ring but now I’m pretty sure I’d put it above both of those. Not that they aged badly, just that I’ve appreciated Xeno 3 more and more with time. I think it’s a very very special and bold game with such a strong vision that permeates throughout every aspect of it.

I didn’t expect the game to resonate so strongly with me thematically before it came out, but it just left a really lasting impact that causes it to soar above its predecessors (which I love already) for me.

Anyways, I’m kind of blown away at how you can just lose yourself in side quests for each Colony and how they all have their own story to tell (and even sometimes intertwine). There’s so much great stuff here. I’ve spent 100+ hours between it and FR and still feel there’s many little heartwarming or gutwrenching stories left to uncover.

I also - I hope I explain this well - have come to appreciate how the party is treated as a unit, many times even being referred to as a singular “Ouroboros” by NPCs. I love a good JRPG ragtag party filled with wildly different people from different cultures with not much else that brings them together, but I’ve come to love how Ouroboros is a thing that so strongly unites just these 6 people that make up your core party. It’s a refreshing twist on the trope. Especially because even within that, each party member still stands out with their own personality and development.

Anyways, I’m kind of blown away at how you can just lose yourself in side quests for each Colony and how they all have their own story to tell (and even sometimes intertwine). There’s so much great stuff here. I’ve spent 100+ hours between it and FR and still feel there’s many little heartwarming or gutwrenching stories left to uncover.

I also - I hope I explain this well - have come to appreciate how the party is treated as a unit, many times even being referred to as a singular “Ouroboros” by NPCs. I love a good JRPG ragtag party filled with wildly different people from different cultures with not much else that brings them together, but I’ve come to love how Ouroboros is a thing that so strongly unites just these 6 people that make up your core party. It’s a refreshing twist on the trope. Especially because even within that, each party member still stands out with their own personality and development.
re: sidequests
this is so spot on. monolithsoft doesn't get enough credit for their sideguest game in general but they've stepped it up so much in this one with how so many of them are linked together and build together and feed back into one another with these colony relations.

re: party
this is why I kept arguing against people calling noah "the protagonist" just because we start the story with him and he's the male with sword-type. this is an ensemble game through and through. just so well done.

this is why I kept arguing against people calling noah "the protagonist" just because we start the story with him and he's the male with sword-type. this is an ensemble game through and through. just so well done.
ehhhhhhhhh
He clearly stands above the rest in every way imaginable, including supposed co-protagonist Mio

ehhhhhhhhh
He clearly stands above the rest in every way imaginable, including supposed co-protagonist Mio

I think all the main characters got their share of protagonism (the exception probably being Sena), but if we had to name a protagonist, Mio would be a strong contender. Though Noah's arc gets stronger towards the end of the game, i'd still say that Mio's story and struggles are a major force throughout most of the plot. She was the most remarkable character in the game for me.

ehhhhhhhhh
nah,

he and mio are clearly foregrounded but presenting noah as "the" protagonist is just not accurate at all. this story is about this group of people together. not noah and some randos he interacts with along the way.

nah,

he and mio are clearly foregrounded but presenting noah as "the" protagonist is just not accurate at all. this story is about this group of people together. not noah and some randos he interacts with along the way.
I mean
He's the one with the titular Xenoblade
He's the leader of the group who makes the big decisions
He's the only one who can destroy flameclocks and free colonies, one of the main objectives
He has the most screentime and we usually see things through his perspective by default
He's literally the chosen one, and in multiple ways to boot (reincarnation past homecoming, reincarnation past moebius, titular Xenoblade bound to him in every life)
He plays the fweeeeeeeeeee instrument that is central to the soundtrack
He's the only character in the party with his own exclusive (and plot relevant) moveset beyond Ouroboros
Speaking of Ouroboros, his is the only one that gets an upgraded (and plot relevant) talent art
His moebius serves as the most visible antagonistic figure, and his interactions with him serve as the central example of the main thematic conflict
Said moebius is also a central figure in the expansion while Mio's counterpart (who already had much less screentime) is reduced to a cameo
His internal struggles get the most focus (and once again serve as microcosm of the main dilemma of the plot) plus the emotional climax of the story
For the last two chapters he's the leading voice of the group in basically every scene except arguably Colony Omega, and even there he and his weapon are the ones who save the day, the rest of the group is mostly nodding along at this point having nothing of relevance to add
The plot literally bookends with him

It's quite tough to say he's not meant to be the protagonist here. This isn't Final Fantasy VI or 13 Sentinels exactly. Noah and Mio are clearly more important than the other four, and out of the two, most of the list above is exclusive to him.

most of these are variations of "he is man with sword".

I shouldn't have brought it up, I'm actually not at all interested in repeating this discussion from Summer 2022 lol.

I can see both sides, Noah and Mio are very clearly the protagonists with the most important beats, but as I said in my post, the Ouroboros power being something that tightly knits all 6 together so early in the game really does help even it out way more than other JRPGs, and causes all 6 to get the “chosen one” treatment from NPCs that’s typically only reserved for the protagonist. “We need your strength Ouroboros!” “With Ouroboros protecting me, I’ll be fine” were among some things I heard sidequesting last night

-448 page artbook covering visuals of XC3 & FR
-Releases on April 1st (lol)
-Cover drawn by Masatsugu Saito
-First time materials related to FR
-Roundtable discussions with MS staff members & Masatsugu Saito & CHOCO
-The publisher is currently conducting a survey for fans to submit messages to the devs

Questionnaire for the artbook (I believe it’s only for Japan). #15 should yield some potentially interesting answers.

Q1. A word about the setting/story
Q2. A word about Noah and Mio
Q3. A word about Yuni and Taion
Q4. A word about Lantz and Senna
Q5. Name an impressive hero
Q6. Please tell us about some impressive enemies/monsters.
Q7. Please tell us about other memorable characters.
Q8. Please tell us about your impressive system. [sample text indicates this refers to gameplay mechanics]
Q9. Please tell us about an impressive event movie.
Q10. Please decide on Mio's hairstyle. [this is marked as required and is simply a choice between short vs long instead of a text box]
Q11. Did “Xenoblade Chronicles 3” have any influence on you?
Q12. What is the most memorable line in "Xenoblade Chronicles 3"?
Q13. “Xenoblade Chronicles 3: A New Future” [also required, a choice between "cleared" and "not cleared (including unplayed)"]
Q14. Please let us know your thoughts on “Xenoblade Chronicles 3: A New Future”
Q15.
If there are any mysteries or events you would like explained about "Xenoblade Chronicles 3" and "Xenoblade Chronicles 3: A New Future", please write them down.
Q16. In addition, please send a message to the developer/Monolith Soft.

Last time I went and got the costumes before the amiibo arrived. This time, I think I'm just going to wait for the amiibo. The unlock conditions are fairly steep.

Quoted by: 2B
For one of them you need to defeat the final superboss at level 150, for the other, you need 7 Nopon Seven-Star Medals (which cost a lot of Nopon coins).
Ugh, thanks. Hopefully demand dies down for the amiibo, they're gone in seconds everytime I get notification of stock.

I've looked for a general Xenoblade ST but it doesn't exist, so I'll just ask here.

I'm about to start Xenoblade 1 in a few minutes, it will be my first time ever playing anything in the franchise. Something I should before diving in?
Don’t be afraid to drop a certain character just cause they have healing arts. They’re pretty bad overall and healing isn’t all that important once you get the hang of the game.

Learn chain attacks. Learn the break topple daze statues.

Explore, you get experience for levels and arts by finding locations and there’s secret locations as well that give a boost. You’ll reward to wandering around

I've looked for a general Xenoblade ST but it doesn't exist, so I'll just ask here.

I'm about to start Xenoblade 1 in a few minutes, it will be my first time ever playing anything in the franchise. Something I should before diving in?
Don't be afraid to change what character you're playing as sometimes. It's not super necessary to beat the game, but there's a couple of encounters that'll be much easier to handle (and infinitely less of a pain in the ass for a midgame one in particular) if you play as someone other then Shulk.

since I didn't port those older game threads over to famiboards after the exodus, I'd kindly suggest you bookmark those OPs just as a base reference guide and check out the FAQ/Tips sections (especially if you keep going through the franchise from there). None of it has anything to do with spoilers and these FAQs are generally built by me/us over the years to give you pointers and avoid "welp I wish I had known this sooner" scenarios.

and then finally the expansion thread for 3 here on fami:
(shoutouts to Dice for the consistent banner collab over 8 years now - ever since the Western release of Xenoblade X)

if you want combat guides at some point and prefer videos, you can also just go straight to youtube and look up the combat guides for each game in the series by "enel"

Don’t be afraid to drop a certain character just cause they have healing arts. T
Don't be afraid to change what character you're playing as sometimes. It's not super necessary to beat the game, but there's a couple of encounters that'll be much easier to handle (and infinitely less of a pain in the ass for a midgame one in particular) if you play as someone other then Shulk.

also especially this underlined with fifteen exclamation points

Last edited:

You're in for a treat. Enjoy

In addition to what @TheMoon mentioned, we also have a thread for the "Xeno-" series as a whole:

In addition to what @TheMoon mentioned, we also have a thread for the "Xeno-" series as a whole:

oh hell, sorry for forgetting about that one. 🙈

Back
Top Bottom