• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This continues to feel like Splatoon 2: Part 2. I'm sure they still have some cards up their sleeve (for example, we've almost seen nothing of the single-player), but at this point, I wonder why they are continuing this drip-feed strategy with the trailers. This game needs a big Splatoon Direct detailing everything new the game has to offer.
I've been expecting a Splatoon Direct to happen at some point since the last general Direct. I'm thinking August, unless they just want a blowout in the expected June Direct.

Man even after changing two forums it seems this community just hates Splatoon and will try to make a mountain out of molehill to downplay its success. Can't wait for "look it sold less than Splatoon 2 that means it is a failure of a franchise compared to insert dormant Nintendo franchise here" or "Sure it sold more than Splatoon 2 but insert dormant franchise here that has failed to sell over 5 million copies let alone 10 would have sold more".

Also, make Pearlina canon you cowards!
Seems to mostly be people admitting Splatoon isn't for them. Not really seeing anyone downplay the success, just expressing disinterest.

But you can't do that because that's a complete lie.
XC3 has different characters, different world and even different artstyle.

Splatoon 3 just looks like Splatoon 2 so far. That's pretty much a common complaint that has been happening in this thread. Is not matter of liking or not liking the franchise. Things might change in future trailers but you can't blame others for feeling that this seems like a reiterative sequel right now.
As a big fan of both series, I actually think XC3 and Splatoon 3 are great examples of what sequels that cater to existing fans without drawing in too many new ones looks like, just on opposite sides of the multiplayer coin.

If you're a fan of Xenoblade, you see the new characters, the new mechanics, the references to 1 and 2. If you're not, you see more convoluted UIs, weird combat, and story-heavy stuff.

If you're a fan of Splatoon, you see the return to more explosive specials, new mobility options, further cleaned up graphics, interesting new weapons, and new maps. If you're not, you see the same 4v4 multiplayer focused gameplay with identical goals and highly similar mechanics.

It's the same thing. This is looking like a great improvement over 2 for me. But I don't expect anyone not that into Splatoon to be hooked by anything they've shown thus far. Similarly, Xenoblade 3 looks like it's not gonna be that interesting if you didn't enjoy playing 2. I think a key distinction here is that Splatoon is also supposed to hook you more long-term as a service game; if you only played it for a month or two, then I'd say you fall into the 'not a fan' category, even if you did enjoy your time with it. It's supposed to be a longer burn than that.

so Nintendo basically saw Splatoon 2 sales slowing down, so they decided to release this entry to keep Splatoon relevant until the real sequel arrive on their next gen console

or at least that's the vibes am getting up until now
No, that'd just set them up for another rushed sequel to get Splatoon on their next console ASAP, whenever that is.

Nintendo really didn't need to rush this one out, and I don't think they did. They chose to make this, which means this should be what they think an ideal sequel to Splatoon 2 is - for better or worse.

I really want to like Splatoon 3 Multiplayer, but I cannot cope with losing a match, I'm way too invested in winning and end up getting angry souring my mood. I really want to work on this because I get really excited for Splatoon 3!
Is that all multi games or just Splatoon?

As someone who just played the global test fire on Wii U I failed to see the difference of 1 and 3. Nintendo could do a better job on this like they do with Mario Kart.

Though I really like the artstyle of the game.

so Nintendo basically saw Splatoon 2 sales slowing down, so they decided to release this entry to keep Splatoon relevant until the real sequel arrive on their next gen console

No, this is the Splatoon that will be played in Drake as well

September 2021:

Splat3.png

April 2022:

Splat3.png

I don't know if it's just a colors but it looks a lot better for me as with every other Nintendo game before release, and we are still about 5 months from release.
I'd say the top one looks better, I much prefer the lighting on that one.

250K+ likes holy cow that's a lot

As someone who just played the global test fire on Wii U I failed to see the difference of 1 and 3. Nintendo could do a better job on this like they do with Mario Kart.

Though I really like the artstyle of the game.
Show me the difference between the Wii U Mario Kart and the Switch Mario Kart ;)

I get the point somewhat, but Mario Kart has managed to pull off visually distinct mechanics that aren't actually all that different; the gliding and underwater sections added in 7 don't change all that much, and 8's anti-grav also barely changes anything. 8, imo, was really just a prettier 7 until DLC also pushed it into having substantially more content. It's kind of the inverse problem; with Splatoon, the differences are more apparent if you play the games, but the headline changes to Mario Kart are actually rather unsubstantial when you get down to it.

Looking at the trailer, apart from the new special weapons (such as the grappling hook), I don't see anything that we didn't see in previous trailers. But I'm not exactly a connoisseur of the series.

I understand that shooter sequels in general rarely innovate and rather stay true to the basics... Although I hope there are still some surprises in store that can expand the gameplay.

I'd say the top one looks better, I much prefer the lighting on that one.

250K+ likes holy cow that's a lot

Wow! Do you guys think that Splatoon 3 will approach Animal Crossing's launch week sales in Japan? I think the first game did 670k and that was only a couple of months after Switch released. I am expecting 1million+ for sure for this one but sky's the limit.

Wow! Do you guys think that Splatoon 3 will approach Animal Crossing's launch week sales in Japan? I think the first game did 670k and that was only a couple of months after Switch released. I am expecting 1million+ for sure for this one but sky's the limit.
Physical shipments + digital first week are likely to be +2 millions, like Smash Ultimate or Pokémon titles.

The reason we're getting another Splatoon on Switch is because it's a monster selling franchise, but outside of the single player Octo expansion the second game had absolutely none of the GAAS trimmings that drastically increase the shelf life of its peers. Once the game had been sold Nintendo made no more money on it. Splatoon 2 did a fantastic job giving the Switch the push it needed in its first year, as well as encourage people to start paying up for Switch online, but after a good year or so it had pretty much maximised its revenue potential which is why Nintendo ended support for it.

Now enough time has passed, Nintendo want some of that sweet money that a new game brings in. Not a lot wrong with that provided the new content is sufficiently meaty enough. And hey, you can't really blame Nintendo when FIFA and COD produce a new game each year at full price + GAAS junk and sees them sell gazillions

I think it looks great! I'm not even a hardcore Splatoon guy but from the desert landscape to the aerial home bases (no more base camping) to the new specials and animations to the fact that even the familiar countdown and victory music have been changed, I saw enough differences that it feels more like a 3 and less like a 2.5 to me. Even more so when factoring in the Mammalian lore and Salmon Run changes we saw previously.

Back in the day there would have been no need to justify this being a new Splatoon, but I think DLC and the Games as a Service model have changed our perspective. I imagine if Mega Man 3 released today people would be saying, "why isn't this an update for Mega Man 2? Looks the same. Oh new bosses, a slide and a dog, big deal. Should have been DLC." Not a criticism of those who think Splatoon 3 looks too samey, just a general observation on how expectations for games have changed over the years.

Show me the difference between the Wii U Mario Kart and the Switch Mario Kart ;)

I get the point somewhat, but Mario Kart has managed to pull off visually distinct mechanics that aren't actually all that different; the gliding and underwater sections added in 7 don't change all that much, and 8's anti-grav also barely changes anything. 8, imo, was really just a prettier 7 until DLC also pushed it into having substantially more content. It's kind of the inverse problem; with Splatoon, the differences are more apparent if you play the games, but the headline changes to Mario Kart are actually rather unsubstantial when you get down to it.
Mario Kart 7 to 8 had a crazy visual improvement. That alone was enough to make the life of marketing people easier.
Another advantage is that, as Mario Kart mechanics are pretty simple, it's easier to people recognize that driving upside down was that title's new mechanic. Though I agree that it doesn't change that much except for the bump on other players and some cool visuals.

Seems like Splatoon 3 is the kind of game made for people that already plays 1 and 2, instead of one focused on expanding the players base. Not that this is a problem, only a choice. People like me couldn't see any difference between this trailer over Splatoon 2 trailers as the mechanics are more complex.

About the look alone I'm also curious to see the sales and marketing strategy for BOTW2 since the last time Nintendo had two Zelda games so similar visually was with Oot -> MM.

or maybe to not release two known jrpgs so close to each other...
So instead they decided to put it a week away from a third party JRPG they are publishing outside Japan themselves? It's far more likely Nintendo looked at their first party schedule and decided to swap these releases because they knew Splatoon wouldn't be ready as early as they wanted. They are trying to balance their first party releases for this year.

Considering that this is the company that doesn't really do a blowout till closer to release, I'd hold off on declaring that "this will just be more of the same". There's just too little to go off of

they still have a long time to reveal the game's content. i seriously doubt we've seen everything the game has to offer.

the whole gimmick of mario odyssey or kirby's mouthful mode for example, these were all announced close to release.

This (bolded) isn’t true at all, it turned course design on its head and therefore was one of the biggest changes to the series in a long while. It’s equivalent to if Splatoon 3 introduced new maps that turned the series level design on its head, which thus far they don’t seem to. That would be visually striking, and garner a different reaction from folks.

I think you’re looking at this in a very literal sense when in reality the reaction you’re contesting isn’t something you can explain away with logic – it’s not surprising that a new visual style (as seen with every new Mario Kart, which of course Deluxe isn’t) makes someone perceive a title as something “newer“. The difference is that with Splatoon you’re talking about a much smaller gap between releases, so there’s no need to overhaul the visual style significantly, and thus it has remained nearly consistent since the series introduction. The look and feel of each Mario Kart changes significantly, from physics to item balancing to CPU behavior, whereas Splatoon takes a more iterative approach with its multiplayer not unlike the upgrade from 8 -> 8 Deluxe in some respects.

Nintendo has the most enjoyable competitive multiplayer game I've played since I was a teen, and while it's a monumental success in Japan, it feels like it's only Nintendo fans that take any note of it in the West. I'm no expert, but reflecting on my own experiences, I'd consider the following as contributors:

1. Gyro is overwhelming to newcomers; This isn't going to change.
2. No split screen local co-op; It's a staple of other Nintendo multiplayer titles, and helps spread interest among close friends
3. Nintendo strives to be different in the online space, and by different I mean ensuring a customer goes around their ass to get to their elbow. ie. use your phone to chat with your friend, friend codes, lack of clarity on how to actually team up with a friend / actual teams locked behind league, timed salmon run blocks that were difficult to coordinate

Splatoon 2's moment has come and gone, no additional content or patching is going to make it any more popular than it is. Splatoon 3 presents an opportunity to 'reset' here. I don't expect major changes from the voice chat side of things (unless it's restricted to Drake), but we could very well see Nintendo finally lean into friend invites, and most importantly reduce the friction to just jump in and team up with a friend. Having local co-op for multiplayer would be a major win, even if it comes with some caveats like only turf war.

The point of all this is that I guess I don't mind that it looks similar so far - I don't think the core mechanics need a shake up. They are unique, and complex enough as is. The new gear, specials, levels, music, and yet to be seen single player etc. are enough of to bring over existing fans. Nintendo's focus should be on convincing more Switch owners to give the franchise a shot, making it easier to start, and they simply haven't shown enough yet for me to be disappointed - I'm still hopeful.

Nintendo has the most enjoyable competitive multiplayer game I've played since I was a teen, and while it's a monumental success in Japan, it feels like it's only Nintendo fans that take any note of it in the West. I'm no expert, but reflecting on my own experiences, I'd consider the following as contributors:

You’re totally right. It drives me mad that none of my irl gaming friends appreciate this series.

While I'm not impressed at all so far, if they can improve on the gyro reactivity (bring it to the level of Splatoon 1, at least) and on the sometimes horrible lag, or whatever it's called, I'll still play it with great pleasure.

This (bolded) isn’t true at all, it turned course design on its head and therefore was one of the biggest changes to the series in a long while. It’s equivalent to if Splatoon 3 introduced new maps that turned the series level design on its head, which thus far they don’t seem to. That would be visually striking, and garner a different reaction from folks.

I think you’re looking at this in a very literal sense when in reality the reaction you’re contesting isn’t something you can explain away with logic – it’s not surprising that a new visual style (as seen with every new Mario Kart, which of course Deluxe isn’t) makes someone perceive a title as something “newer“. The difference is that with Splatoon you’re talking about a much smaller gap between releases, so there’s no need to overhaul the visual style significantly, and thus it has remained nearly consistent since the series introduction. The look and feel of each Mario Kart changes significantly, from physics to item balancing to CPU behavior, whereas Splatoon takes a more iterative approach with its multiplayer not unlike the upgrade from 8 -> 8 Deluxe in some respects.

They're not looking at it in a very literal sense. They're looking at it from a gameplay standpoint. Driving on anti-gravity sections is a visual. Gameplay-wise every Splatfest map in Splatoon 2 had a more transformative gimmick than the speed boost from bumping other karts. On a less superficial level, going from 8 to 12 racers between Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 and going from 1 to 2 items between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart Deluxe changed how races play out more than anti-grav.

So my question to those who want to see something new is: What could Splatoon do that'd immediately stand out as new and distinct to everyone (regardless of actual substance). First thing that comes to my mind is increasing the number of Inklings/Octolings/Salmlings/Mammalings per team, but I'm not sure even that would catch people's attention unless it's something drastic like 8v8 or 10v10 or 50 vs 50, and I'd already be hesistant about going to 5v5...

Last edited:
They're not looking at it in a very literal sense. They're looking at it from a gameplay standpoint. Driving on anti-gravity sections is a visual. Gameplay-wise every Splatfest map in Splatoon 2 had a more transformative gimmick than the speed boost from bumping other karts. On a less superficial level, going from 8 to 12 racers between Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 and going from 1 to 2 items between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart Deluxe changed how races play out more than anti-grav.

The question is what could Splatoon do visually that'd immediately look new and distinct to everyone, regardless of actual substance. First thing that comes to my mind is increasing the number of Inklings per team, but I'm not sure even that would catch people's attention unless it's something drastic like 8v8 or 10v10 or 50 vs 50, and I'd already be hesistant about going to 5v5...
By literal I meant exactly that - I was trying to say that gameplay mechanic changes aren’t exclusively what make a person perceive something as “new”. But I see your point.

And tbh, that’s what I’m expecting for some kind of new mode (larger player count)! Some kind of bigger map, utilizing the same kind of engine enhancements that may have been necessary for what seems to be a more expansive + grounded single player mode.

2. No split screen local co-op; It's a staple of other Nintendo multiplayer titles, and helps spread interest among close friends
3. Nintendo strives to be different in the online space, and by different I mean ensuring a customer goes around their ass to get to their elbow. ie. use your phone to chat with your friend, friend codes, lack of clarity on how to actually team up with a friend / actual teams locked behind league, timed salmon run blocks that were difficult to coordinate

Splatoon 2's moment has come and gone, no additional content or patching is going to make it any more popular than it is. Splatoon 3 presents an opportunity to 'reset' here. I don't expect major changes from the voice chat side of things (unless it's restricted to Drake), but we could very well see Nintendo finally lean into friend invites, and most importantly reduce the friction to just jump in and team up with a friend. Having local co-op for multiplayer would be a major win, even if it comes with some caveats like only turf war.

The point of all this is that I guess I don't mind that it looks similar so far - I don't think the core mechanics need a shake up. They are unique, and complex enough as is. The new gear, specials, levels, music, and yet to be seen single player etc. are enough of to bring over existing fans. Nintendo's focus should be on convincing more Switch owners to give the franchise a shot, making it easier to start, and they simply haven't shown enough yet for me to be disappointed - I'm still hopeful.
Of the list that you have
  1. Depends on the audience of who you speak too. I don’t think it really is a factor at the end of the day since it can be turned off but it doesn’t help that everyone but Nintendo refuses to use it as an option in their games
  2. I also don’t really think is that big of an issue at the end of the day. Would it help sure but doubt it’s driving that many people away
  3. This is a grab bag of things that don’t really contribute much to not gaining traction. Voice chat is a nothing burger as most people will either be mute or find another way to communicate. Can it be better sure but a mountain out of a mile hill. Same with friend codes especially with the myriad of ways you can add people; they just need to add the ability to send requests for people played with. Salmon Run I also don’t think is that big of a problem especially as more and more people play live service games. Annoying for some sure. Teaming up is probably the only one that has bearing on being an issue which would need to be fixed to be more streamlined & clear
Overall the biggest issues with Splatoon has not much to do with the above. If I had to guess as to why it would be:
  • The reason it is big in JP is because there is no genre king over there. CoD does well for what it is but never massively picked up unlike the West; which Splatoon is gonna have to fight for attention.
  • Aesthetically the game is weird. It is a very weird concept to wrap one’s head around & doesn’t immediately click with most people. It also uses a culture that the West has largely moved on from & doesn’t want to revisit.
  • Objectively speaking the game has a weird gameplay loop. You don’t necessarily win by killing people but by spraying an unknown amount of area that isn’t revealed until the very end. It’s also easier for people to point cursor in direction and fire with medals, kill streaks, stats, & a feeling of a tangential difference.
  • The Switch just really hasn’t built up an audience for that in the West at least. If they want to expand it then they may need to take more queues from the shooter market or even make a few more that will start drawing people towards the Switch as a fps/tps market. At least get them amiable to such on the systems going forward.

Of the list that you have
  1. Depends on the audience of who you speak too. I don’t think it really is a factor at the end of the day since it can be turned off but it doesn’t help that everyone but Nintendo refuses to use it as an option in their games
  2. I also don’t really think is that big of an issue at the end of the day. Would it help sure but doubt it’s driving that many people away
  3. This is a grab bag of things that don’t really contribute much to not gaining traction. Voice chat is a nothing burger as most people will either be mute or find another way to communicate. Can it be better sure but a mountain out of a mile hill. Same with friend codes especially with the myriad of ways you can add people; they just need to add the ability to send requests for people played with. Salmon Run I also don’t think is that big of a problem especially as more and more people play live service games. Annoying for some sure. Teaming up is probably the only one that has bearing on being an issue which would need to be fixed to be more streamlined & clear
Overall the biggest issues with Splatoon has not much to do with the above. If I had to guess as to why it would be:
  • The reason it is big in JP is because there is no genre king over there. CoD does well for what it is but never massively picked up unlike the West; which Splatoon is gonna have to fight for attention.
  • Aesthetically the game is weird. It is a very weird concept to wrap one’s head around & doesn’t immediately click with most people. It also uses a culture that the West has largely moved on from & doesn’t want to revisit.
  • Objectively speaking the game has a weird gameplay loop. You don’t necessarily win by killing people but by spraying an unknown amount of area that isn’t revealed until the very end. It’s also easier for people to point cursor in direction and fire with medals, kill streaks, stats, & a feeling of a tangential difference.
  • The Switch just really hasn’t built up an audience for that in the West at least. If they want to expand it then they may need to take more queues from the shooter market or even make a few more that will start drawing people towards the Switch as a fps/tps market. At least get them amiable to such on the systems going forward.
I always see a lot of people turned off by the motion controls. It doesn't help that the fanbase complete fabricates how 'destroyed' you'll be online if you don't use them. Feels like they're actively trying to talk people out of buying the game. Hopefully people realize you can do just fine without motion in Splatoon 3.

Also not being able to easily play with friends seems like a huge turn off for many. Hope they fix that too.

While anti-grav changed the potential shapes of courses, I don't really agree that it substantially changed the way they played. There's the occasional track that gets creative with it, like Toad's Turnpike; but most just go 'this is the anti-grav section' and the physics change a little. The fact that Mario Circuit is a mobius strip or Electrodome has a split path that pits one above the other is largely irrelevant to the way the races actually play out.

It is true that it looks very different, which is what I was getting at; most of the changes that the mainstream actually remembers are rather superficial in nature. There's nothing wrong with that, of course; what matters is how the game is perceived, both leading into and after the purchase.

The changes in the feel of each Mario Kart are not lost on me. I still love inside drifting bikes in Mario Kart Wii, as well as the more chaotic item balancing. But they're not really demonstrated in the marketing any more than Splatoon's changes are - nor should they be, even though that's what really sets them apart from each other in my mind.

Could Splatoon sequels benefit from a more gimmicky headline feature, like Double Dash's dual drivers or 8's anti-grav? I suppose they could, and maybe I'd have less trouble getting friends to pick it up if Nintendo went that route (though I got three to jump in with me this time! woo!).

I believe gyro to be more of a deterrent to newcomers who are already used to other shooters. For newcomers in general, I haven't noticed it to be that overwhelming.

The rest I agree with. The more convenient it is to play the game with friends, the more people will bug friends to get it. No split-screen and the hoops you can jump through to play online are only hurting them.

So I rewatched the trailer with my partner and their sibling, who are more into Splatoon than I am. They were immediately pointing out the differences and intricacies of the new specials and the speedier game feel. I think this trailer is doing a good job of reaching its more core audience.

After watching the gameplay video again, there were a ton of changes that will make the game feel different, my question is if I'll like these tweaks. For example, brush users are the bane of my existence, and now they're going to have a grappling hook to zip behind me? I can already feel the frustration!

Re: the large number of "meh" reactions I've seen, that makes sense to me. First, they haven't shown any new modes that would help to explain why this isn't another expansion for 2. Second, the changes like the controlled direction of where you're placed when respawning, quicker inkling jumps + lateral movement, and arcing bowshots horizontally/vertically with AOE are all changes that you'll need to experience rather than watch.

I remember in the run up to Splatoon 2 hearing the same takes about how it's "not a proper sequel" or "just Splatoon 1.5" despite it having a new campaign, new hub, new graphics, new music, new modes, new weapons, new maps, and pretty much everything else that constitutes a sequel for this kind of game.

I really don't get the negativity towards the Splatoon sequels.
Yes, they're iterative, evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but that goes for the majority of sequels in gaming.
Not every game in a series has to reinvent the wheel, sometimes it's enough to just give people more of what we like.

I always see a lot of people turned off by the motion controls. It doesn't help that the fanbase complete fabricates how 'destroyed' you'll be online if you don't use them. Feels like they're actively trying to talk people out of buying the game. Hopefully people realize you can do just fine without motion in Splatoon 3.

Also not being able to easily play with friends seems like a huge turn off for many. Hope they fix that too.
Depends of who you ask in terms of audience. Like I said it doesn’t help much when no one else but Nintendo tries to implement well into their games or even offer them as options. I would also say it depends on who is being turned off by motion controls because enthusiasts a very biased perception of it.

And, I agree but as I put in that post it is entirely dependent on which we are talking about. Do they all add up eh I’m unconvinced but the biggest one that needs addressing is team making. The others can be ignored if team making is simple & easy to use.

If there were any major new modes or gameplay mechanics inherent to Splatoon 3? They would've shown them by now.

It's safe to say at this point that we're getting exactly what Nintendo are advertising. A glorified DLC pack for Splatoon 2. Anything else is just very wishful thinking.
The game doesn't release until September, there's plenty of time to reveal more meatier additions in the months ahead. If all you were going to do was make pointless complaints the safe thing to say would have been nothing at all.

Anyway I love the little sneak peak we got so far and while September is farther along then I would have liked I can't wait to get my team back together for this entry.

If it has a substantial single player mode, I would be tempted to get it - I dont think I'd get my money's worth otherwise, and obviously the focus on multiplayer in trailers doesn't really suggest that will change at all

If it has a substantial single player mode, I would be tempted to get it - I dont think I'd get my money's worth otherwise, and obviously the focus on multiplayer in trailers doesn't really suggest that will change at all
The first trailer suggested a big story mode, but then it feels like Nintendo forgot about it. I get that multiplayer is the big feature of this game but c'mon.

The first trailer suggested a big story mode, but then it feels like Nintendo forgot about it. I get that multiplayer is the big feature of this game but c'mon.
The game is still over four months away, it would be strange if we had seen more of the SP already

I think Nintendo will do a blowout Splatoon 3 Direct 1-2 weeks after the launch of XB3. They did the same with ACNH literally a month before it’s release.

Also as a side note, did anyone else get motion sickness from Splatoon 2? Just playing the story mode for a while made me feel nauseous and I had to lay down for like an hour. I really enjoyed what I played, but because of the motion sickness, I still haven’t even finished the story mode or even delved into the multiplayer at all. Any tips or suggestions?

I remember in the run up to Splatoon 2 hearing the same takes about how it's "not a proper sequel" or "just Splatoon 1.5" despite it having a new campaign, new hub, new graphics, new music, new modes, new weapons, new maps, and pretty much everything else that constitutes a sequel for this kind of game.

Yes, they're iterative, evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but that goes for the majority of sequels in gaming.
Not every game in a series has to reinvent the wheel, sometimes it's enough to just give people more of what we like.
I agree, but it just stands out and gets that reception because it’s rare for Nintendo. The last series I can remember being continually iterative was NSMB and that received similar backlash, though of course they are not entirely comparable and Splatoon is doing a whole lot more within the realm of “iterative” games

This is just how Nintendo’s multiplayer games work.

MK and Smash are also way more iterative than their big single player stuff is.

Which is why we need a Splatoon spinoff!!

Preordered on the eshop as soon as I saw the news. Splatoon 1 was one of my most played Wii U games, Splatoon 2 is one of my most played Switch games, and I'm sure this is going to get up there too.

Splatoon 2 was developed in 2 years.
This one had at least double the development time. It's fair to expect more, especially as the series has grown in popularity.

This one had at least double the development time. It's fair to expect more, especially as the series has grown in popularity.
Expect more in what way though?

It has a new setting, new campaign, new gameplay mechanics, new music, new maps, new weapons, better graphics, and probably more we don't know about yet, not sure what more we can reasonably expect from a game of this nature.

This just isn't the kind of franchise that needs to revolutionize itself constantly, like most successful franchises it has figured out what its audience wants and simply needs to continue to refine and improve that.
There's nothing wrong with a series being evolutionary instead of revolutionary.

Last edited:
Splatoon just isn't very popular on Famiboards, and that's fine. It's been mentioned on roughly 2,000 occasions compared to Metroid (7,000+). For those who aren't into it, they may have expectations of some new hook that'll get them into the series, and so far they don't see that.

Splatoon 3 hasn't been in development since the previous game's release or the release of the Octo Expansion. It's likely also been in development for a little over 2 years at this point. And curl-6's point wasn't that this game won't necessarily have more expansion than Splatoon 2 did over Splatoon, but that people just generally have no idea what they're talking about when they have knee-jerk reactions to iterative sequels, expecting it to "look different" in some unspecified way that misses the point of why people who like Splatoon want sequels at all. Splatoon 3 can and should add more content than previous games, but that's not the same thing as the complaints in this thread are saying.

Splatoon just isn't very popular on Famiboards, and that's fine. It's been mentioned on roughly 2,000 occasions compared to Metroid (7,000+). For those who aren't into it, they may have expectations of some new hook that'll get them into the series, and so far they don't see that.
To be fair, Metroid Dread did come out the same week Famiboards launched. And now we have a major rumor of a Metroid Prime remake. Meanwhile Splatoon has only gotten a couple of trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom